Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I'm glad more Gundam stuff is coming to the US and I'm going to buy the Turn A DVDs real soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

The Gundam Origin manga is really, really good too if people want to read Gundam instead of watching it

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Namtab posted:

What's everyone's fave gundam (show) and gundam (big robot)

I'm gonna say 00 season 1 and Wing gundam.

original MSG and the Mk-II

Amuro is still my favorite character because he's kind of an asshat, but an asshat who's right all the time.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

muike posted:

I was the kid that didn't care about 08th MS Team on Toonami but was super hyped when they showed 0079

This is me, except I didn't care about Wing. Actually, I cared about Wing, I just thought it was boring as heck. I thought all the mobile suits were super cool, though. I still have a bunch of Gundam action figures when those were actually sold here, including BATTLED SCARRED ones

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

chumbler posted:

The only really mediocre mobile suit in Wing is Sandrock. Everything else is great.

I like the segmented plates on the shoulder pads. Same for the Arabic forces mobile suits too

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Namtab posted:

I uh.... I disagree with you

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

All the music in Victory is really good. Some of it has a melancholic vibe that suits the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jng-lH4q2b8

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I watched the first episode of Turn A and holy cow! The setting is so cool. It doesn't even feel like a Gundam series, which is definitely a nice change of pace. That episode really moves, too. This definitely fits in with Gainer and G Reco with hitting the ground running. I wish more shows did that.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Amuro was taking out battleships and mobile armors like they were nothing in the original series, if I recall right. I don't remember anyone tearing through ships quite so easily, unless they were just going straight for the bridge. Amuro was just shredding them in half

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Here's more and Zeta:

I'll see if there's any other ones.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

CaptainYesterday posted:

Yes, the box sets list 42 episodes with 21 per set.

What's the deal with that episode?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Looking great after that diet

That's a shame though. I thought it was for content reasons or something.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Yes, bring on my beautiful Jazz Gundam

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

http://www.rightstufanime.com/Mobile-Suit-Zeta-Gundam-Collection-1-Blu-ray

I'm glad these are coming out at a decent clip. I wonder if they'll just run through putting stuff out chronologically at this point, aside from the more recent series

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Isn't Thunderbolt just being streamed for pay online in Japan? Is that really something you can miss?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Having never seen Unicorn, I have still already seen the giant red robot and don't care about being in the OP

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

EthanSteele posted:

Unicorn is like an ultra distillation of all things Gundam, any Gundam you watch after it will have things in it where you'll go "oh that's like X" so you're not far off on the IBO comparison, just gotta remember the order of origins.

don't actually do this, it's an uninteresting way to think about characters and tends to plague gundam discussion.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

poo poo you uncovered the hidden truth about turn a actually being bad and now we have to close down the thread and round up all the posters and "keep them quiet" if you know what i mean

this is gonna be hell doing all this paperwork let me tell you

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Harry Ord should be on the top of best boyfriend/husband/most fashionable

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I hope Ramba Ral gets replaced by Mashymre

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Srice posted:

Puru rules and any haters can get the h*ck out!!

*the entire cast of ZZ leaves*

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

tomino is cool as hell and i look forward to when everyone appreciates how good he is at visual storytelling

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

they made it and then threw it into a fire

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i just finished unicorn and lapace box is one of the dumbest things in the entire gundam series and that last episode is up there with 0083 in terms of being stupid as hell

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

full frontal sucks because you can tell they wanted to use char, but they couldn't because that would be hosed up, so they give us a fake-char, who is char is his basic personality and beliefs but lacks any of the character and nuance and humanity that char had so all of his actions feel empty. he's an empty vessel! he calls himself a vessel, and maybe that was what they were going for, but they don't do anything with it so he's just some boring antagonist who fades to dust because newtypes or whatever

char can't be in gundam unicorn. even so, char is in gundam unicorn

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

there's also the fact that Deikun created his philosophy after people had been living in space for a while, possibly from observing people living in space? not just, "hey here's something that might happen, eventually"

when you see what lapace's box is its such an obvious contrivance, everything from how its worded to what its implications are supposed to be. they even try to downplay its meaning in the show, saying that whatever it said was no longer as important as the Feds keeping something secret. you can logic it out all you want but as a device in a show that's telling a story it falls flat on its loving face

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

also I agree that Full Frontal's plan is totally sound, I just wish they spent a "little" bit more time fleshing him out, even if that's time spent reiterating that he himself feels like he's a hollow shell of a human being

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i don't loving care if it's the best plan ever or if it would be actually successful, all I mean is that it has a semblance of logic and base in reason. Minerva points out its flaws to Full Frontal when he reveals it, and they're about creating an underclass of Earth dwellers who will resent spacenoids, not economical logistics. presumably Earth depends on space colonies for resources whereas the space colonies are self-sufficient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

if there's a flaw with frontal's plan, its that no one has been able to unite all the space colonies against the federation, but maybe he thinks the box would change that?