Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

nice autism bro where can I get some of that

music school

the closest thing I have to a job is telling little kids this kind of thing repeatedly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Triglav posted:

it took 15 years but red hat's stock is halfway to its ipo peak

that's because it has split twice you idiot

the share price is lower because there are more shares. at ipo it was worth 4 billion. now it's worth 14 billion.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
an icnrease of 10%

pram
Jun 10, 2001
red shat

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

echinopsis posted:

nice autism bro where can I get some of that

*plays the clarinet in 5th grade* oh god i caught the nerdlord bug, fuuuck

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

also to the goon last page who wants lunix and windows....um try a vm maybe?

e:

or wine lol

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Megaspel posted:

Is it possible to keep a windows and a linux in memory and switch between them instantly?

let me tell you about virtualization

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
linux is bad, reports linux user

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I really really liked gnome 2.0 how could they gently caress it up so badlky

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

gnome3 is honestly p nice and if they (+ a few other projects) had actual funding it would prob be the best gui computer shell. canonical is kinda silly for chasing their own silly unicorn UI instead of just spending some cash on like... GNOME, the desktop gfx stack (e.g. Mesa), Wayland, etc

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 19, 2015

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Lutha Mahtin posted:

gnome3 is honestly p nice and if they (+ a few other projects) had actual funding it would prob be the best gui computer shell. canonical is kinda silly for chasing their own silly unicorn UI instead of just spending some cash on like... GNOME, the desktop gfx stack (e.g. Mesa), Wayland, etc

How does basic Gnome3 compare to Cinnamon these days? My understanding was that Gnome3 had most of the same goals that Unity did, is that no longer the case?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
gnome 3 looks just like unity but autohides teh dock poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kilroy posted:

How does basic Gnome3 compare to Cinnamon these days? My understanding was that Gnome3 had most of the same goals that Unity did, is that no longer the case?

gnome3, cinnamon, and unity are all poo poo because their goals are fundamentally misguided

gnome3 and unity want to force dumbfuck ui onto the rest of us

cinnamon wants to maintain a ui normal people know how to use, but they want to do that on top of the ever-shifting sands of someone else's platform. bad plan, stan

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
kde is insanely confusing, and doesnt make sense. the windows key doesnt open the freakin start menu clone by default. and u cant even bind it. u gotta make a script for it. christ. CHRIST. smdh. also. theres those 3 color dots next to it. idk what they do. never known. peace.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
linux on the dekstop thoughts from a nontechnical woman/child:

1) gnome3 ftw kuz win key does the cool expose clone, with launchy clone built in. also good multi desktop tiling. very productive, for me.
2) unity. confusing and bad windows manager. end up having to mash alt-tab nonstop. also need to bind alt-tilde if u have multle winodws of a single app. insanely confusing
3) kde. like a gimped windows, with wierd defaults. also brutally ugly. not really all that bad but doesnt work as good as windows for window managing. snap doesnt work half as good as win10 snap.
4) xfce. suxors the ultimate one. doesnt do anything. worst window manager. cant find my poo poo. bars on the top and bottom are hosed up, and useless.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Smythe posted:

kde is insanely confusing, and doesnt make sense. the windows key doesnt open the freakin start menu clone by default. and u cant even bind it. u gotta make a script for it. christ. CHRIST. smdh. also. theres those 3 color dots next to it. idk what they do. never known. peace.

1. the start menu thing is not kde's fault, idk what the gently caress key your "start" key will be on whatever unix system you are using. the joys of linux.

2. the three dots has something to do with "activities." as far as i can tell this is entirely useless when it is not actually counterproductive. if you find an actual purpose for kde "activities," let me know. (i am not convinced a use case exists)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Smythe posted:

1) gnome3 ftw kuz win key does the cool expose clone, with launchy clone built in. also good multi desktop tiling. very productive, for me.
2) unity. confusing and bad windows manager. end up having to mash alt-tab nonstop. also need to bind alt-tilde if u have multle winodws of a single app. insanely confusing
3) kde. like a gimped windows, with wierd defaults. also brutally ugly. not really all that bad but doesnt work as good as windows for window managing. snap doesnt work half as good as win10 snap.
4) xfce. suxors the ultimate one. doesnt do anything. worst window manager. cant find my poo poo. bars on the top and bottom are hosed up, and useless.

kde has a rly good expose clone. (stick your mouse in the upper left corner)
and a good launchy clone (alt f2)

and about a million configurable knobs. most of the knobs should be left alone. but, if, someday, you need a specific window to be moved to the lower left boundary, with no window decorations, an inch away from your IM window, and it should blink TWICE AS LOUD when the alert signal is raised, kde is there for you.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

kde has a rly good expose clone. (stick your mouse in the upper left corner)
and a good launchy clone (alt f2)

and about a million configurable knobs. most of the knobs should be left alone. but, if, someday, you need a specific window to be moved to the lower left boundary, with no window decorations, an inch away from your IM window, and it should blink TWICE AS LOUD when the alert signal is raised, kde is there for you.

trap fuckin sprung lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Lutha Mahtin posted:

trap fuckin sprung lol

did you get lost

this is yospos

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
does wayland actually make any kind of difference in the performance department

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Smythe posted:

you would like mint xfce. ships with proper menu that pops open when u press win key

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Korean Boomhauer posted:

probs not a positive one

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
i;m holding out for yutani,

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Blotto Skorzany posted:

i;m holding out for yutani,

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

George posted:

I really really liked gnome 2.0 how could they gently caress it up so badlky

youre a loving retard if you think gnome 2 was good

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
kde sucks since 4.0 came out. try lxde??

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

linux is really bad please don't use it :ohdear:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Korean Boomhauer posted:

my idiot understanding of it is that there would be less latency between apps, the compositor, and the kernel/hardware, compared to X. not sure if any gains would lead to an appreciable improvement for the user, though. my totally bs guess is that the old intel graphics chip in my current laptop would see more improvement from better optimization in the overall graphics stack (mesa, kernel driver, etc) but who knows, maybe the more streamlined system of Wayland will make things feel snappier

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
"hmm my windowing system is better than x windows" - an idiot NeWS blowhard

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

xfce and mate are both reaosnable desktop envs

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nope

Aw fuck.
Jun 30, 2007

Using Ubuntu
is awesome
i put elementary on the mac they gave me at work and its nice. im having fun on the computer :)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

elementary? more like playskool os

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

I can't believe you've done this

• Locked thread