Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So I loving love speedruns, and have been watching a lot of them recently. It can be really fun to watch someone take a game you think you know and just shatter it, so I want to see everyone's favorites.

Since speedruns can often be pretty long, and pretty incomprehensible, if you can give a description of what we're looking at that'd be awesome. I'll kick off with my top three:

ZFG's 100% run of Ocarina of Time, from this year's Awesome Games Done Quick. The optimal route for 100% in Ocarina is apparently completely insane, and still takes a pretty decent amount of time, the run itself clocking in at 4 hours 45 minutes (ZFG has since beaten this time by nearly half an hour), but this one's really good because of the ongoing explanation he gives. He does really well at explaining both every glitch he uses and every route choice he makes, so while it still all looks like wizardry you get a very good grasp of what he's doing.

Shenanigans' full Pokedex run of Pokemon Blue, from this year's Summer Games Done Quick. This one's a cavalcade of glitches through the ages, some dating back to the nineties (because of course Missingno turns up), resulting in him in some way or another catching every single Pokemon in just under two hours. He somehow manages to navigate ridiculous amounts of potential crashes while also explaining things to the best of his ability and managing to be funny. And then they follow it up with a blindfolded race of two players glitching their way into the Hall of Fame through the same means, because these people are insane.

And my favorite tool-assisted speedrun right now, beating the original Final Fantasy in seven minutes. To my understanding, that particular staircase buffers certain information that most other scene transitions don't, which they use to cause a stack overflow and push the party member's names into addresses they shouldn't be, triggering events that shouldn't otherwise happen. All of that translates on-screen as the party going up and down stairs for five minutes until the final boss turns up and keels over of his own volition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space kobold
Oct 3, 2009

Morrowind is such a wonderful game to speedun. :allears:
Highlights include soaring through the air like a speeding bullet, making good use of the various teleportion systems, manipulating the wonky collision detection with meshes to go through most walls at ridiculous speed, and instantly assassinating someone with a lockpick. The game is so open-ended that it expects you to potentially murder people essential to the main plot, so there are various backdoors you can use to skip through quest progression, hence allowing you to complete such a ridiculously expansive game in roughly 3 minutes.

space kobold has a new favorite as of 15:03 on Oct 12, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Hi. I'm OFS and I love TASes.

If I had to pick one it'd be Shinryuu and FinalFighter's Mega Man in 12:23.34. It is the most quintessential TAS ever. The list of engine flaws it exploits is immense. Then it gets even stranger once the DelayStageClear glitch kicks in.

It was also on SGDQ 2015.

Cleretic posted:

And my favorite tool-assisted speedrun right now, beating the original Final Fantasy in seven minutes. To my understanding, that particular staircase buffers certain information that most other scene transitions don't, which they use to cause a stack overflow and push the party member's names into addresses they shouldn't be, triggering events that shouldn't otherwise happen. All of that translates on-screen as the party going up and down stairs for five minutes until the final boss turns up and keels over of his own volition.

That staircase goes from F2 to F1 of Corneria Castle, but you can go to F2 from the Temple of FIENDS as Sara warps you there after Garland, so the game has to put extra data there to make sure it doesn't accidentally fling you into a dungeon. This buffer overflow also involves the party's Thief to reach level 101, in a game where 25 is endgame levels and 50 is the cap. Enemies in FF1 can flee if you're too high of a level, but bosses like Chaos are too brave to be affected... normally. Chaos doesn't die. He gets so scared of the Thief's impossible muscles that he runs away forever.

Orange Fluffy Sheep has a new favorite as of 15:50 on Oct 12, 2015

YawControl
Feb 13, 2014
This year's Summer Games Done Quick had a great Super Mario Sunshine race, completed without using the hover nozzle. Some really great precision platforming on display in that one.

Crysis has a game breaking bug where you can fly across the map while moving your mouse in large sweeping motions. It's a bit hard to watch with the camera swinging around though.

Pretty much any Mega Man TAS is great. Mega Man & Bass completely falls apart once you get the ice wall weapon. For those who haven't played the game, you can play as either Mega Man or Bass, each with different abilities. There are 100 collectible CDs spread throughout the levels, and you need to use each character's unique abilities to get them all. This run gets them all as Mega Man.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Magician Lord by £e Nécroyeur is a fun quick TAS about what happens when you dance forever. By constantly moving gravity and walls forget to work and attacks deal damage on far more frames than they should. Features a bad guy whose taunts include "I'm destined just to die."

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txZPVD_MuqU

It's just one specific fight but this 5th Colossus video is my favorite, the moment at 1:24 legitimately makes me hold my breath for a second even though it's a drat video game.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
This SNES speed run of Family Feud makes me laugh every time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5tyMXXDPX4

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL
Diablo in 3:12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SasazfBr5_Y

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
This is the first speedrun I watched and I was like 'woah', when I could barely figure out grenade jumping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7HWk1QIWyA

They do it in like half the time now. poo poo's cray, yo.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Viewtiful Joe speedrun from AGDQ

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
I've been looking for more videos like Cosmo's commentated 18:10 run (then-WR) of OoT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq6pGJbd6Iw

The commentary is really good and makes the video. I love the level of detail he goes into explaining the various tricks

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

This is a segmented speedrun of Half-Life using every available glitch done in 20:41 seconds. Multiple people took part so think of it more like a 4x400 race rather than one single person doing it. The speed and techniques used at many points are amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvH9mwkvWIU

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Law Cheetah posted:

I've been looking for more videos like Cosmo's commentated 18:10 run (then-WR) of OoT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq6pGJbd6Iw

The commentary is really good and makes the video. I love the level of detail he goes into explaining the various tricks

This was super cool and a pro-click

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

This mintue long speedrun of Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (AKA the one people don't like as much) is pretty amazing. It's done using an alternative character mode and I just really love the way the music works perfectly for it.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Half Life 1 in under 30 minutes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk4kX9WEcZA

It's cut together in segments I think, but it's still drat impressive.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Zogo posted:

This is a segmented speedrun of Half-Life using every available glitch done in 20:41 seconds. Multiple people took part so think of it more like a 4x400 race rather than one single person doing it. The speed and techniques used at many points are amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvH9mwkvWIU

:stare:

I kind of want to call shenanigans on some of those landings. Particularly the super long falls that result in zero damage. But I'm sure there's some weird explanation for it. The beginning really eased you into the craziness that was to follow. The bit where they were shoving scientist around by walking into them to make them back away was pretty drat hilarious, like they were really uncomfortable with how close Freeman was getting but were too polite to do anything more than slowly back away. Video could have used a pause when they blew past G-Man, inches from his nose. Was pretty great.

The entire desert section was amazing with the music and sound effects blending together to produce a pretty goddamn neat rhythm.

This, on the other hand, did not enjoy. Come on, every floor had the exact same goddamned layout, he surfed to the loving bottom.

So I just spent a while looking for it, but I could swear there was one Sorcerer speed run where he just murders things as he goes, using the charges on his staff until it runs out of charges, pops his inventory open, tosses the staff, and then resumes his murder march all the way to the bottom. Does anyone remember this, I couldn't find it.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

RickVoid posted:

This, on the other hand, did not enjoy. Come on, every floor had the exact same goddamned layout, he surfed to the loving bottom.

So I just spent a while looking for it, but I could swear there was one Sorcerer speed run where he just murders things as he goes, using the charges on his staff until it runs out of charges, pops his inventory open, tosses the staff, and then resumes his murder march all the way to the bottom. Does anyone remember this, I couldn't find it.

I think that one is tool-assisted in that it lays out the stairs down immediately next to the stairs up on every level.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I can appreciate speedruns that are incomprehensible to me and basically come off as wizard magic, but I also appreciate speedruns that are followable despite running on completely insane logic. Like this Two Worlds speedrun. You can watch it, it's only two and a half minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0APCof1zRw

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Buzkashi posted:

I think that one is tool-assisted in that it lays out the stairs down immediately next to the stairs up on every level.

Whats the point of a speedrun if you modify the game in such a major way that makes it so much faster?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

TheDon01 posted:

Whats the point of a speedrun if you modify the game in such a major way that makes it so much faster?

^This. It's not speedrunning the game as much as, "Check it out guys, I wrote this program that lets me ignore 99% of the game and makes the first thing I kill drop the best item".

Let's drop this here though, we don't need a "speedrunning is this not this" argument on page one of the thread.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Communities kinda rise up around speedrunning games, and the members of those communities are the ones who get to decide "what is speedrunning really". It's why categories of speedruns exist in the first place - if something is lame and unsatisfying then let that fact be borne out in the statistics of people doing the runs and people watching the runs. It's all about what's interesting, or fun

The commentary should be focused less around "this isnt a speedrun" and more around "this is a bad speedrun, its boring to watch and think about"

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.
Cosmo speedruns Symphony of the Night. Commented run wherein Cosmo pulls off arbitrary code execution in real time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Yeah, each community usually has their own rules on what their speedruns do or don't consist of, and what the rules are. It'll vary by game; just as an example, a couple days ago I finished watching a speedrun of Paper Mario: Thousand-Year Door, and as they described it Mario RPGs tend to use the game's clock to judge times, which is actually pretty rare. Mario RPGs usually run the clock all through cutscenes, menus and such, though, and speedruns of them don't often have things like reset glitches that would break them out of the timer, so it works for them.

If you're interested in seeing alternate styles of speedrun for games, TAS or not, I'd suggest looking into subcategories. Not just any% vs. 100%, but a lot of games have separate run types based on certain challenges or banning certain glitches. I don't know Diablo, but I do know Oblivion, and they actually separate runs based on whether or not they use out-of-bounds glitching. Which is fair enough, because the time difference between the two is immense: 32:53 compared to 3:57.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Buzkashi posted:

SDA doesn't accept TASes.

And exceedingly improbable runs lead to things like King's Bounty in less than ten seconds, most of which is loading.

The world in King's Bounty is randomly generated, including the position of the Scepter of Order. Normally you're supposed to build an army and fight bosses to get pieces of the map to the scepter.

Or, you know, have it spawn right under your feet. Hey, king man, it's been right here this whole time.

That is the 3rd fastest TAS on TASVideos. The fastest is A pac-man clone for DOS called CD-Man that has a ludicrous speed setting for some reason.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

TheDon01 posted:

RickVoid posted:

^This. It's not speedrunning the game as much as, "Check it out guys, I wrote this program that lets me ignore 99% of the game and makes the first thing I kill drop the best item".

Let's drop this here though, we don't need a "speedrunning is this not this" argument on page one of the thread.

That's not what a tas is. That's not what a tas is. That's not what a tas is.

THAT'S NOT WHAT A TAS IS

Tool-Assisted means you can slow down time and savestates. It's meant to be the fastest a game could possible be.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Peanut President posted:

That's not what a tas is. That's not what a tas is. That's not what a tas is.

THAT'S NOT WHAT A TAS IS

Tool-Assisted means you can slow down time and savestates. It's meant to be the fastest a game could possible be.

Did you bother watching the speed runs posted here because this is a fairly accurate description of what happens in Bomb Man's stage in the TAS posted above per the recorder's comments.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6-Hgi_KTnw

Two players, one controller.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
No there's writing code in TASes.

As in, manipulating the RAM from inside the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UnB1fomvAw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxgEXDnXD6M

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Dammit guys, why are we having the argument I specificaly told you not to have!

At no point was I saying that a tool assisted speedrun, or segmented speedruns, or glitched runs are not real speedruns. What I am saying is that there is no way in hell he's glitching the game, in that particular video, to make it generate the same floor layout every floor without an external program injecting code into the game. I can accept that the RNG for item drops may be linked to time or footsteps or something, and conbined with the enemy he killed he could be manipulating the engine to get the item, but not the same floor over and over again.

If someone could post an explanation of how he's doing it legitimately I'd love to see it.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

SpeedDemosArchive posted:

Best time as the sorcerer: 0:03:12 by Maciej 'groobo' Maselewski on 2009-01-16, done in 27 segments appended to one file.
And this discussion: https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/diablo_1_speedrun.html

It looks like it's just a fuckton of save reloading.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

RickVoid posted:

Dammit guys, why are we having the argument I specificaly told you not to have!

You're not my fuckin dad

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Law Cheetah posted:

You're not my fuckin dad

You should talk to your mom about that.

Junior.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Diablo 2 LoD AKA D2X Assassin run in 1:25:43 on Normal level
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijs5pIgk828

By using a ton of health and mana potions and also evading a lot of monsters and damage by moving constantly and with some luck it can be done in under 90 minutes.

RickVoid posted:

:stare:

I kind of want to call shenanigans on some of those landings. Particularly the super long falls that result in zero damage. But I'm sure there's some weird explanation for it.

Yea, I think there are some health bugs they used at some parts.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Zogo posted:

Yea, I think there are some health bugs they used at some parts.

That bit where Freeman's health shot up over 4000, yeah. There was a moment, when he was sitting around 500 health that I was like "better watch out, your health is getting low". At 5 times max HP. :psyduck:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
my favorite speed run was the time i made it into the bathroom just in time to have diarrhea into the toilet and not my PANTS!

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Nooner posted:

my favorite speed run was the time i made it into the bathroom just in time to have diarrhea into the toilet and not my PANTS!

Once I saw a guy fail his speed run and diarrhea all the way into his socks when he was already in the stall.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Brain Age!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM41Q_Kc9HU

4+6 = Mario.

Family Feud!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPuOFrpiboM

Host lets the white family, the As, get away with saying anything. The black family, the Halls, get to do nothing but stare in silent rage.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Cleretic posted:

So I loving love speedruns, and have been watching a lot of them recently. It can be really fun to watch someone take a game you think you know and just shatter it, so I want to see everyone's favorites.
Since you said "shatter", are other superplays allowed? For example, in Mario 64, getting the "Mario Wings to the Sky" star in Bob-omb's battlefield without pressing A. A basic introduction to the idea can be found in this kotaku article, but you can also just skip to the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpcMlj8BwWE

Alternatively, for an actual speedrun that's also not tool assisted, here's a recent human run of Mario 64 that's under 7 min:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itq1jdG01O8

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

dirby posted:

Since you said "shatter", are other superplays allowed? For example, in Mario 64, getting the "Mario Wings to the Sky" star in Bob-omb's battlefield without pressing A. A basic introduction to the idea can be found in this kotaku article, but you can also just skip to the video.

I will allow it, because that is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Just a good ol' Super Mario Bros. speedrun ... in under 5 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcmKPmj9yeE

• Locked thread