Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

KieranWalker posted:

That makes it sound like the game's measuring time by frame count (a fairly common programming tactic), and thus increasing the frame rate to 60 makes the timer tick down twice as fast. Dark Souls 2 had similar issues.

Dark Souls 2 has many more issues... Like not being fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Fabulousvillain posted:

It becoming more and more evident that RE4 was intended with using a controller with all these weird, untold menu control and what not. Or did other RE games(on PC) make you learn this poo poo?

The first PC version of RE4 couldn't use a mouse at all - you could use a gamepad, or struggle with keyboard-only controls. Resident Evil has a long history of shoddy PC ports - the first three games were extremely glitchy and almost unconfigurable.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
The controls always were a little weird in RE4. A product of it forging relatively new ground at the time, maybe? E.g. Moving and aiming being on the left analogue stick, but toggled with the aim button. :psyduck:

Aces High posted:

the only thing that sucks about inventory management for the Steam version is that I always forget what is the "pick up" button so that I can actually DO my inventory tetris and so cue to me scrolling through forums posts to remember that it is the "backspace" key :v:

It did say at the bottom of the screen that it was backspace... but then it didn't say what "rotate" was.

I'd thought that they would improve the keybinds with the HD version, but I guess not. It's so strange how often you see things bound to weird keys like Insert, PageUp, Pagedown, etc in crappy PC ports. It's the sort of thing that makes me wonder if the intern the job was fobbed off on (in the single week before shipping that the publishers budgeted on the PC version) has ever actually played a game on PC.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gnoman posted:

The first PC version of RE4 couldn't use a mouse at all - you could use a gamepad, or struggle with keyboard-only controls. Resident Evil has a long history of shoddy PC ports - the first three games were extremely glitchy and almost unconfigurable.

There were a couple of fan hacks that actually put in mouse control. They were incredibly janky and way too sensitive unless you cranked that option all the way to the bottom but it was how I played it.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Zain posted:

Dark Souls 2 has many more issues... Like not being fun.

Dork Souls 2 owns.

I'm really glad about The Evil Within play through, I don't dislike Scruffy's play through but something irks me when people are just crouching everywhere at all times. I'm not very good at stealth games because of this.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That first battle in the village in RE4 is amazing fun to play through, and to watch someone else play through for the first time. It's such a great introduction.

I hope you'll enjoy your time with the wily, lovable Not-Spanish Murderpeasants CJacobs.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Gnoman posted:

There was a way to mod mouse control in but it was a ridiculously lazy port either way. Funniest part though? It was made by Ubisoft. One would think they'd have the staff to QA that poo poo.

I know people are talking up Inventory Tetris but I've been through the game 5+ times and only ever needed it with relation to two items. Probably just not using the knife enough but really - is it such a big deal?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 15, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

KieranWalker posted:

That makes it sound like the game's measuring time by frame count (a fairly common programming tactic), and thus increasing the frame rate to 60 makes the timer tick down twice as fast. Dark Souls 2 had similar issues.

As you will probably see later on in the LP, this is actually the correct explanation. The game measures the amount of time you have to do QTEs specifically in frames, which can be a bit annoying because it means you have less time to do them. Certain non-QTE button prompts run at twice the speed and that means you have to mash twice as fast in order to succeed through them. This hasn't actually given me any trouble so far as I can button-mash pretty quickly but boy I'm sure eventually I'll run into issues with it. I did a quick google without spoiling myself on anything and people say that it IS an issue, but it's never a game breaking one.

Spudd posted:

I'm really glad about The Evil Within play through, I don't dislike Scruffy's play through but something irks me when people are just crouching everywhere at all times. I'm not very good at stealth games because of this.

Don't worry, you won't see me crouch everywhere unless there's sneaking to do. The Evil Within is fairly generous about enemy line-of-sight/sound awareness on the medium difficulty, especially the basic not-zombie-men. But I will use the sneaking to put on a good show. ;)

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 15, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
drat, I just hear the villagers and immediately want to fire the game up and replay it yet again.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gnoman posted:

In general, the RE games have been pretty slow when it comes to controls in the first place. It took a pretty long time for them to actually control like a regular third-person shooter (i.e. not slow and clunky).

Strangely, the Steam version of RE4 really doesn't want to work on my computer. No matter how I mess with the settings or change between 60 and 30 FPS, it runs incredibly slowly to the point of being unplayable. RE5 doesn't have the same issue, and it even runs slower than 6 (which is more graphically intensive). It's almost as slow as if it were trying to play a Gamecube emulation.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

chitoryu12 posted:

In general, the RE games have been pretty slow when it comes to controls in the first place. It took a pretty long time for them to actually control like a regular third-person shooter (i.e. not slow and clunky).

The controls in the original generation of RE games were absolutely perfect.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

anilEhilated posted:

drat, I just hear the villagers and immediately want to fire the game up and replay it yet again.

I know! The village scene is probably the best one. I run it to try to optimize it as best as I can.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gnoman posted:

The controls in the original generation of RE games were absolutely perfect.

I won't hear any argument on this subject either... except for adding auto-aim in the later releases after RE1 (gently caress you crows).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think the older tank control games in the series worked fine because they were designed around the control scheme, instead of the control scheme just being a limitation you have to deal with. Even in RE4, the game is still designed with the controls in mind: enemies slow down when they get kinda close to you, don't attack until you're both mutually within melee range of each other, and have really long telegraphs for ranged attacks. RE6, that garbage loving game everybody hates, has the RE4 aiming and control scheme but is designed around being a fast-paced action shooter, which is why it's miserable to play.

That's something I also like about The Evil Within. It uses a similar control scheme to Revelations 2 (minus the dodging) where it's basically just a more modernized version of the old RE controls. As I said in the first RE4 video, I think part of the reason I'm already pretty good at RE4 is because I've played other RE games and they all control in a pretty similar fashion.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Resident Evil 4 is one of those games where the developers realized the limitations of the aiming system. If you haven't already noticed, enemies will generally stop swinging at you and circle around for a bit after you've been hit by something, just so you can get your bearings again. There will be exceptions to that rule, and I'll complain about that when we get there, but for the most part, the game does a good job at not chain-stunning the player.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bad news, my headphones broke to poo poo. One of the ears snapped off because of shoddy construction, and the wire has now become frayed to the point where that ear does not deliver sound anymore. Which means no audio editing. Which means no LP editing. That said, I ordered new heaphones, which arrived in my town today!

...except for completely unexplained reasons, they will not be here until tuesday, despite ups delivering on saturdays and despite the fact that they're literally 10 minutes away from where I live right now as I make this post.

So, if they DON'T get here until tuesday, that means I won't be able to put out a The Evil Within update until tuesday, so if it is delayed, that's why.

edit: I have been informed that ups doesn't deliver on saturday unless you specify that you want your package delivered on saturday. What a bunch of bullshit.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Yes it's stupid about the sat delivery thing, but I see no reason why It's should be delivered on mon since there isn't a holiday that would keep UPS from delivering. Then again, they have not had the best track record with me. A year or two back (I forget when) when there was all the bad weather in the central US they marked a package as being delayed by weather... in the town about 2 hours away from me... on a nearly cloudless day. It was actually delayed in the middle of transit but for what ever dumb reason the mark the delay at the destination rather then the departure location

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's super annoying too because I ordered it through USPS, which has an excellent track record, and then they transferred it to UPS which is dogshit. The projected delivery date when I ordered the thing was yesterday. :geno:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

CJacobs posted:

It's super annoying too because I ordered it through USPS, which has an excellent track record, and then they transferred it to UPS which is dogshit. The projected delivery date when I ordered the thing was yesterday. :geno:

did you order through amazon? usually they do it the opposite way where UPS/Fedex does the moving then hands it off to USPS for the delivery.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I would put up with 100 minutes of inventory fuckery if you'd save ammo and use the knife more when you are fighting 1-2 enemies.

I kid, I just cannot play resi games without trying to use as little ammo as possible, all melee runs of 6 are great

^^ not actually a spoiler

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Stormgale posted:

I kid, I just cannot play resi games without trying to use as little ammo as possible, all melee runs of 6 are great

^^ not actually a spoiler
How the hell do you do this with Revelations? I'm playing through this the first time and I swear the dodge system is the wonkiest poo poo possible.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Today Sebastian finds himself a stranger in a strange land. And believe me when I say things are only gonna get more strange from here.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
When everything is strange, can you say that anything at all is strange? Considering how the game jumps around, if everyone spontaneously unlocked Big Head Mode, it wouldn't be out of place. Sebastian could step through a door and come out in Hawaii for all the sense the game's making.

Though it would have to be a scary Hawaii with blood in it and stuff.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Blastinus posted:

When everything is strange, can you say that anything at all is strange? Considering how the game jumps around, if everyone spontaneously unlocked Big Head Mode, it wouldn't be out of place. Sebastian could step through a door and come out in Hawaii for all the sense the game's making.

I will say that the game best resembles a nightmare most of the time. As such, it runs on dream logic.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I forgot the place was named Krimson City. Must have been founded in 1991 by Mayor Ed Boon.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Resident Evil 4 was just added to the Capcom Humble Bundle. If you, like me, think this is the perfect opportunity to play the game for yourself before the LP covers it, this might be of interest to you!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Simply Simon posted:

Resident Evil 4 was just added to the Capcom Humble Bundle. If you, like me, think this is the perfect opportunity to play the game for yourself before the LP covers it, this might be of interest to you!
If you haven't seen or played it, you really should. A first run of RE4 is a delightfully insane ride as well as of one of the best action games of all time.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

WHAT THE FUCKBALLS I CANNOT REDEEM IT IN AUSTRIA OR GERMANY BECAUSE IT'S CENSORED HERE?!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Simply Simon posted:

WHAT THE FUCKBALLS I CANNOT REDEEM IT IN AUSTRIA OR GERMANY BECAUSE IT'S CENSORED HERE?!

Then stop living in rural Europe, Lord Saddler got so touchy about his portrayal in this game

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Blastinus posted:

Well fair enough, and I guess it's not any more strange than living in a city called Krimson City and working for the Krimson City Police Department. :v:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Kind of a long shot, but would redeeming it over a secure VPN work? Or is the redemption based on your card details?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Kind of a long shot, but would redeeming it over a secure VPN work? Or is the redemption based on your card details?
Bit of research tells me that this WOULD work, maybe, but
a) I would need a secure VPN for that and I think that costs money if it's not supposed to be real shady and I don't want the game THAT bad
b) I maybe would have to have that on every time I want to play it
c) even if that's not the case, Steam might have been cracking down on "gifts" from off-country because some goobers apparently were searching for the BIGGEST SAVING by calculation exchange rates to Rubel or whatever and deciding to be Russian whenever a sale was up there

I mailed the Humble support and told them to at least give me a censored version key (funnily enough, they seemed to have the exact same problem when it was less games in the Bundle as it first came out, but with DmC, they told every single German purchaser to mail them on twitter to get a censored, but working key) or just refund the drat thing because seriously.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
How much Resident Evil 4 advice are we allowed to give? Can we just tell CJacobs about secrets or do we have to give obtuse riddles and clues?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

White Coke posted:

How much Resident Evil 4 advice are we allowed to give? Can we just tell CJacobs about secrets or do we have to give obtuse riddles and clues?
Well, the OP says no spoilers and the secrets in that game are the kind you can do without just fine so I'd say we shouldn't give any advice at all. Guy's an RE veteran anyway.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

White Coke posted:

Please don't spoil anything, but moreover please don't do this either. Nothing annoys me more than "I SURE HOPE CJACOBS IS READY FOR THE SUPER EXCITING PUZZLE BOSS WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT BE COMING UP IN CHAPTER 12-3.... JUUUST SAYIN'..." And I know sometimes it's hard to not do that because the Dead Space 3 thread had a dude who did exactly that constantly in almost every post he made in the thread. But please don't do the wink and nudge thing, it irks me to no end.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 21, 2015

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Do you want advice or voting on weapons or are you planning on stumbling through it?

Because there's a few weapons that suck and a few that can be safely skipped. Probably best if you just figure it out for yourself though, I'd guess! :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have heard that about the game and I think what I'll say in regards to that kind of stuff is that if I do need help/input on weapons et cetera, I won't hesitate to ask for it. And I mean, once that stuff is available for me to obtain/buy it's not a spoiler anymore so you can talk about it all you like by then!

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I can't really put my finger on it, but something bugs me about the stealth kill animations in The Evil Within. It's like there's no weight or resistance going on. Sebastian doesn't even seem to really grab them, just places his arm around them and then the knife sails in like it's cutting hot butter. Piercing someone's skull with a six inch blade like that shouldn't be so smooth or effortless-looking.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
One thing I'm going to say is that while there are weapons that underperform, there are no guns that are outright bad. Even your piddly starting handgun retains some degree of usefulness throughout the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

One thing I'm going to say is that while there are weapons that underperform, there are no guns that are outright bad. Even your piddly starting handgun retains some degree of usefulness throughout the game.

And really unless you're going for the super-mega-ultra-perfect-100%-no-damage run there isn't so little money in the game that you can't spread it around on things other than the best* weapons. Hell, every strategy guide, official or otherwise, I read back in the day told me to never ever buy or upgrade one of the weapons in the game but then I bought it once and now I think its one of the best* weapons you can buy and upgrade.

*Best weapons are whatever you like to use

• Locked thread