Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Re: Scrolling bug:

I think you actually can use the mouse wheel to read them... as long as you don't move the mouse at all when you're in the menu. Use the keyboard to get into the documents menu and very carefully move the wheel and it will scroll. Move the cursor even 1 pixel and it will be disabled again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gnoman posted:

The first PC version of RE4 couldn't use a mouse at all - you could use a gamepad, or struggle with keyboard-only controls. Resident Evil has a long history of shoddy PC ports - the first three games were extremely glitchy and almost unconfigurable.

There were a couple of fan hacks that actually put in mouse control. They were incredibly janky and way too sensitive unless you cranked that option all the way to the bottom but it was how I played it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gnoman posted:

The controls in the original generation of RE games were absolutely perfect.

I won't hear any argument on this subject either... except for adding auto-aim in the later releases after RE1 (gently caress you crows).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

One thing I'm going to say is that while there are weapons that underperform, there are no guns that are outright bad. Even your piddly starting handgun retains some degree of usefulness throughout the game.

And really unless you're going for the super-mega-ultra-perfect-100%-no-damage run there isn't so little money in the game that you can't spread it around on things other than the best* weapons. Hell, every strategy guide, official or otherwise, I read back in the day told me to never ever buy or upgrade one of the weapons in the game but then I bought it once and now I think its one of the best* weapons you can buy and upgrade.

*Best weapons are whatever you like to use

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

I have a copy of Rage on a relatively low-end gaming machine. The streaming textures help make it run extremely smooth, almost on par with consoles, but literally every single texture you see on my machine starts out as a blurry and blobby long-distance texture and then loads after about half a second. Because it only renders what's on screen, it needs to reload textures whenever you look away (no matter how long you do). It feels like you're playing an Ark survivor with very bad eyesight who keeps needing to wait for his vision to focus when he looks around.

id blamed it on AMD, who blamed it back on id, but considering that it was fixed by editing files to allow more textures to remain in the RAM, I'm pretty sure RAGE was just a really poorly developed game. Wolfenstein The New Order really showed what id Tech 5 could do though, with proper attention. The level of variety of environments in that game is astounding for a big name development.

I would also not be surprised at all if id created the timing of the loading of textures in RAGE on how fast consoles could turn the player camera, not a mouse.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Does the ammo you get in the key safes stay there if you can't carry it or does it vanish as soon as you leave?

Antistar01 posted:

Those bombs are really nasty; it feels like they've got a weird delay between when you press the button and the needle actually stopping. They got to be so bad that I just started avoiding them. Trying to disarm them for a little bit of scrap wasn't worth the risk.

And yeah, this village area was really hard! The similarities to RE4 become really obvious here; an early difficulty spike, in a somewhat non-linear, dilapidated, European-esque village full of not-zombies. There's even a mini-boss with a chainsaw. Evil Within does introduce some stealth elements to it though, so it can feel a little different initially.

I noticed the same thing with the bombs so I don't think its just you. Maybe I just needed to get used to it but I stopped playing before I noticed myself getting better.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Uuuuuuuse your eggs instead of your heeeeeeerbs. I'm so mad right now :v:

Also people say that the village is the difficulty spike and while it is certainly difficult compared to most other early game, I think the canyon and the path beyond it is the first real test I encountered. The respawning enemies (which you don't know are respawning) that can come at you from everywhere in the canyon, compared to me hiding behind the downstairs table in the cutscene house in the village, plus the dynamite gave me a hell of a lot more trouble than village fight.

And I think that guy with the axe is supposed to be the very first guy you encounter at the start.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Not to poo poo on the game too much because I still mostly like it but this is where I kind of started to get annoyed with it. Invisible enemies usually have those giveaways, as subtle as they can get, for the good reason that literally invisible enemes are not fun, interesting, or scary to fight - just aggravating. As for the spider blood lady, I'll complain about her more later.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I said that they're completely invisible in the video but that's actually only true at a distance, once they get within grabbing distance of seb they start to shimmer (although it's almost imperceptible so they may as well still be invisible), and also there's one incredibly major tell I'll show off in the next chapter.

I think I know what the tell is as its the way I eventually learned to deal with them, they're still just really annoying enemies though that don't really add much to the game for me.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

The discount on The Evil Within has expired! I hope you picked it up!

I've heard people say that before, and it's times like these I'm glad I don't have a very common first name. :v:

And yeah, the dof blur thing only happens when you have MLAA turned on in the graphics options. The fade transition you saw there was me switching to FXAA so that it went away. I have seen it happen to other let's players before (Two Best Friends) and they wondered if it was an intentional effect which made me very happy to see.

I thought the same thing when it happened to me because it seemed to clear up as I solved the rooms.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I do love how even some random dumb guy in the middle of Nowhere, Spain can care so much about international politicking of the USA :v:

You might have missed it in the thread but if you do want to complete those masks and beersteins (or any other combination treasure in the game) without a lot of blind running and looking around for sparkling things the treasure maps the merchant sells will mark them on your map. Though I think some might be a bit more dangerous to get now.

Don't discount the pistol in boss/miniboss fights though, in the time it takes you to fire one rifle shot and cycle the bolt you can fire a lot of pistol shots. And you may have noticed that mobility is pretty important.

Also you can count on that bit of knocking zombies into water being deliberate because what better way to inform the player that its an important thing to do sometimes than to completely trivialize what would otherwise be a pretty dangerous encounter by doing it?

I am satisfied with your level of inventory management as well.

One more thing,

anilEhilated posted:

just use the goddamn eggs already

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think I need to replay RE4 to get the building frustration at this terribly inefficient playthrough out of my system :v:

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 17, 2015

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The best handgun is the TMP.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It comes with some pretty big caveats of course but the brain is remarkably resilient if the object isn't too big, misses immediately vital areas, and goes straight through one side of the skull to the other. Go searching for them and you'll find tons of stories about people getting shot in the head or otherwise suffering a pretty grievous brain wound and living. It takes time but the brain has an astounding capacity to rewire itself, as it were, if there's enough left of it to rewire to.

And I wish I didn't have so much trouble with the blood spider lady boss because I did enjoy TEW when it was being more of an action game. These sections do seem fun. But man did I have trouble with her.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Roundhouse kicks make those swarms much easier to handle. You had the right idea with being bold but not with your guns! Kicking just one will knock down, or at least knock back, pretty much everyone in front of you.

You certainly handled Mendez better than I did the first time though, I couldn't get a handle on his second form for a few tries.

Also this is a treasure spoiler, which I think you said you were okay with, but just in case The rubies are indeed just things to sell, they don't fit in anything.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The game does actually force you into that super-obvious trap and it is always super annoying.

Also the game will tell you if things can go into your treasure to make them better when you examine them.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

gnome7 posted:

Ada helps Leon survive the raccoon city incident in Resident Evil 2, but its revealed she was just using him in order to get the G-Virus, which is a plot mcguffin that makes super zombies. At the end of the game, she is nearly killed by someone infected with the G-Virus, but Leon saves her. The very first moment Leon looks away from Ada after that, she escapes, and he never sees her again until right now in RE:4, where he is not surprised she is still a super spy trying to steal bio weapons for Wesker.

Technically the canon is Claire A/Leon B (where Ada is killed by Mr X in the power room) but really, coming back from falling into a bottomless chasm or getting thrown into a metal control panel enough to crumple it by a T-Virus monster, same thing. Leon saw her die, now she's back.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

IronSaber posted:

The Rocket Launcher is essentially a one free Boss kill weapon.

Kiiiind of. But I don't want to say anything further because it'll be pretty funny if it happens.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you ever remember someone mentioning that you need to save your flashbangs, that knight room is why.

Also you'll be happy to know that not only did you royally mess up by selling those Eyes but the bugs can also die by shooting them with literally one or two handgun bullets if you shoot them while flying, even if they're just a foot off the ground. So you used up a bunch of important ammo on one of the weakest enemies in the game :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I wanted to try it out on enemies that I knew from previous experience could survive at least one rifle shot, sometimes two! Except in this case they mysteriously cannot survive so much as a pea shooter despite looking much more dangerous.

It's actually weirder than that and not something anyone should expect to know the first time through because if you shoot them when they're running around on the ground they're basically as tough as the invisible ones you fought in the sewers. But as soon as they take flight they'll die if you shoot them in the air (and then hit the ground).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The best thing to happen with that boss fight is when the first time through the game you had already used the rocket launcher before it and killed him normally then the second time through the game decided to save it for him but didn't bother to freeze him because "It's a rocket launcher, it'll kill him in one hit."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I probably should have mentioned it, but the RE4 OP has said this for a little bit now:

So if you want to talk spoilers you're free to do so as long as it doesn't get too bad.

edit: Had a question for you folks, by the way. I'm doing the DLCs for The Evil Within, should I also do Assignment Ada and Separate Ways? Are they good? I haven't played them yet.

Assignment Ada is more of a short minigame similar to Mercenaries mode in the old RE's, minus the time limit. It's fine but short. There's no save points so its meant to be played from start to finish in one go.

Separate Ways on the other hand is basically a mini-campaign showing what Ada was doing over the course of the game. It has multiple chapters and the weapon merchant, treasures, etc. It is most definitely worth doing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Honestly I've always found the Salazar boss fight annoying so I always bought a rocket launcher for it once I beat it "for real" once.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Upgrading the Striker to 100 shots is just enough penitence for not upgrading anything else important, so you're off the hook.

Spoiler for the next video:
"I knew you'd be fine if you landed on your butt."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

hard counter posted:

I remember ages back knifing was considered the easy way to beat him with like the strategy guide or something mentioning it does more damage to him.

The knife actually does do a hugely boosted amount of damage to Krauser but it is most definitely not the easy way :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Stop saying goop in there

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That tentacle boss was a lot smaller than I expected.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Do you think you're going to show Separate Ways or just merge that into the Pro stream?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's really just more of the same but it does have a couple of unique additions so whatever is cool.

I guess the real question is if you will be upgrading the Magnum on Professional :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fish Noise posted:

Okay, how much of Leon's supporting cast of super spies and spec ops are just going NOTICE ME COMRADE all the time?

I'm pretty sure everyone but Claire has the hots for Leon.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I believe the Blacktail's "thing" is just general all around good. I think it has the best fire rate of all the pistols?

I might be remembering wrong but didn't Ada also not actually have a knife in Separate Ways on the GC? As a reference to Leon's later line when they meet in the bedroom (:heysexy:). Even though she does have one, as CJacobs pointed out.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I can't believe you didn't open that other cupboard in the barn this is the worst.

I also wish Ada's hookshot was more of a thing outside of the contextual places but even in all of RE6's bloat they didn't do it so I guess I can't fault RE4.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That El Gigante wasn't that hard because Ada knows the usefulness of a firepower-upgraded rifle :colbert:

Although automatically having max firepower rifle against the village enemies is pretty ridiculous.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That shadow chase was really neat. It got a bit goofy when the actual hands came out to grab you but having them appear stretching across the floor, wall, and ceiling probably wouldn't let you know "dodge me!" enough.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

"Boy, you really shouldn't have sold the rifle" I thought :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Speaking of AW, I saw this story today.

It might just be me but "has to want to make the game" probably means "at least help pay for it" since, as noted, Remedy owns Alan Wake now.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

No one is ever joking about RE4's inventory tetris.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's the old joke but... the shadowy organization bent on mind control technology was deceitful? Kidman could have never seen this coming!

And evil, talking paintings? Someone liked Ghostbusters 2.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It occurs to me that Resident Evil games, or at least 4 and previous, always have the best/most inappropriate music choices. If I recall, RE1 ended with some jaunty pop song, RE2's A scenario with a piano piece while the B credits and RE3 broke out the butt rock, and here's RE4 with the smooth club music.

Though I don't think I've ever heard REmake's credits so that probably blows a hole right through my theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So that whole wireless hook-up to STEM, combined with how Sebastian and Joseph did threaten to turn into the human-like monsters in game, I wonder if that means that all the enemies in the game were the people who were in range of STEM like Sebastian and company were.

• Locked thread