Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

CJacobs posted:

You jest, but that's what I planned on doing anyway. :getin:

Although so far I actually haven't spent too much time in the attache case unless I need to rearrange it to squeeze something in, so unfortunately there probably won't be a Let's Play Attache Case 4 bonus compilation video.
Aww, but Manage Attache Case 4 is one of the best (non-combat) parts of the game. :smith:

Then again, I come from playing the Super Robot Wars games, where two of its games featured a squad system that was as frustrating as Manage Attache Case 4 can get later on because like this game, it took unit size into account and made stuff take way longer than it needed to (later squad-based games dumped the unit size penalty, thankfully). So I know how frustrating (and unintentionally entertaining) managing inventory in RE4 can get at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, Leon dropping 2-3 stories to ground and his legs not shattering like glass is indeed hilarious, but those higher places do serve a purpose: Knife-a-Mole! One tactic for dealing with mobs of enemies is to funnel them to a ladder spot, then just knife away at people until everyone's dead. Granted, it takes plenty of time as things go on, but it is effective in places.

The silly dialogue does make me wish Paul Mercier (Leon's VA in this game) would return to the series. Even if it's only for other character Mercier voices in this game.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, yeah, and we've met probably the best character in the game.
No, we most definitely have not met the best character yet.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yes, there are a lot of items/treasures hidden in places you'd think were just part of RE4's scenery, like bird nests. The red catseye is in a nest all the way back in the area you meet Luis for the first time, for instance. Which you'd overlook because the zombies with dynamite are introduced there and you're more focused on not getting blown up and/or getting stuck in bear traps instead of treasure hunting.

Anyhew, add me to the list of people who dismissed the TMP at first. I was heavily invested in Manage Attache Case 4 when I first played, so the fact that the TMP needed an extra part in order to improve accuracy coupled with the initial weak damage just turned me off to it. I tried it later on, and it is a nice weapon once you invest a little into the gun. It just has a bad introduction (technically speaking) and equally bad reputation from other players that hurt the TMP in the long run.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, you showed off my biggest problem with El Gigante. His attack hitboxes can be wonky as gently caress. So it might look like you dodged his arms, but nope, a pixel sneezed on you and now you're being grabbed and have to do the breakout QTE.

Also, echoing the "EAT YOUR drat EGGS" sentiment.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Flash grenades are extremely valuable once the head tendrils get introduced, because they are insta-kills for those types of Ganados. It'll still blind regular ones, but flash grenades are now as valuable as bullets because they let you get past a lot of enemies/chokepoints without having to unload a million bullets.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

JMolen posted:

The starting pistol is actually a really good alternative to the obviously best choice that is the Red 9, but you don't really see it shine until you've fully upgraded it. That said fully upgraded it's a contender with a fully upgraded Red 9. It'll be a while yet before we see any of the guns even get near that thought. And choices will have to be made

Oh man we're going to have so many arguments about the guns once CJacobs starts gearing up properly.
I await the arguments over the magnum weapons because those are going to be fun.

Although, I'll mostly be complaining about how rare ammo for those weapons are. :smith:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Mendez's second form always annoyed me. Every time I fought him, he always spent too much time swinging from the rafters and rarely attacked me. Couple that with my own imperfect accuracy, and there were a lot of "HOLD STILL, GOD loving DAMMIT!" shouts during this fight.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Don't worry! I got a brand new 2TB hard drive for christmas! And I'll give you 1 guess what 372 GB of it is comprised of!

edit: That's right, it's bubsy, how did you know
I was going to say Altman sermons, actually.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Shieldhill posted:

cogedlo cogedlo cogedlo cogedlo
morir es vivir, morir es vivir

There are no words to accurately describe how goddamn loving annoying the monks get with their muttering. :argh:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Like Pureauthor, I am also amazed at you finding a Blue Eye so drat easily. Those fuckers are rare. As in, if you don't get one off of those invisible insects here, you can only get them in a later area if you're lucky.

Also, yes the first mask is now useless and can be sold. The second mask you got has its own separate inserts from the first one that you may or may not find in the upcoming areas of the castle.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I think what you messed up on the food puzzle is the order. It said "One last drink before the bottle breaks", meaning you had to shoot the wine glass first, then shatter the bottle.

You are somewhat correct with the rocket launcher. You can hilarious cheese an upcoming boss fight with it.

Also, go back and buy the Broken Butterfly, mister. :mad:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Oh my God, what is it with my memory of this game and forgetting things? :ughh:

Ignore my earlier comment about buying the Broken Butterfly, CJacobs.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Not really - there is literally no puzzle, you just need to shoot the bottle (and you can actually tell there's a real bottle stuck in the painting, not just drawn)). No idea what the devs were going for with that - unless it's Salazar having run out of money for traps and just hoping the signs will confuse the hell out of Leon.
Well, I've learned something new today. And Salazar definitely confused the hell out of me back then with the signage, as I always followed the plaques to the letter with the assumption that there was a booby trap in the wall behind Leon that would trigger if I messed up.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, my earlier confusion was that I thought the Broken Butterfly chest held a free Blacktail, not a Broken Butterfly. That said, shame on you for not blowing your cash on upgrading the Broken Butterfly's reload speed. It really wants that.

Also, I am indeed that guy who got stuck on the sliding tile puzzle for longer than needed as well. Mostly because like Antistar, I too hate those puzzles and royally suck at them. :negative:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Welcome to the only place to ever consistently get blue gems outside of those early drops: Novistador hives. Sadly it's still all based on luck, because you could easily get nothing but red and green gem drops (or other miscellaneous treasures) from a destroyed hive.

And yes, the Broken Butterfly reload animation is one of the best in the game. :allears:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

DukeofCA posted:

You're guaranteed to get one Blue Eye from the hive. It's the only static drop of its kind, so you're only guaranteed to be able to complete one lamp.
Ah, my bad. I always thought it was random luck and not a static drop.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ah yes, the Striker (or the Jailbreaker, as RE5 calls it). Such a wonderful end-game shotgun, and definitely welcome at this point. As for the Verdugo, gently caress that guy. The dodge QTEs plus me taking forever to figure out how to kill him made me hate facing the guy for a while. Then I figured out that the liquid nitrogen tanks were his weakness and promptly did what Judge Tesla mentioned: end his sorry rear end with a rocket launcher to the face. And yes, it felt very satisfying.

As for Krauser, don't worry. This game does jack poo poo to explain who the gently caress he is or his connection to Leon. The second light gun/rail shooter game released on the Wii, 2009's Darkside Chronicles, does explain his backstory in full detail. Which means that Capcom took about 4 years to realize "Oh hey, we never bothered to explain what Krauser's deal was in RE4. Why not slide him into our upcoming rail shooter remake of RE2 and Code Veronica as a bonus story?"

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm willing to bet 70% of those are probably copyright trolls being their usual selves.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Gnoman posted:

Most of the "Mine thrower sucks" nonsense seems to come from memories of the RE3 Mine Thrower (which genuinely sucked rear end), trying to use it for traps because of the name (which is fairly suboptimal), or walkthroughs/LPs (The DarkId's LP, for example) trash-talking it. In reality it's an extremely powerful weapon that can vaporize groups with ease, and will one-shot many of the toughest early-game enemies.
Yeah, I've found that the mine thrower basically carries the same stigma that the TMP carries: both weapons are not things you can instantly use to solve most problems. They need a few careful setups and/or upgrades in order to be used effectively, and for some people, they are too impatient because they want to pop heads quickly and not corral enemies to one area for a group OHKO. Admittedly, the TMP has a few times where it can be the instant solution (the mine cart sequence with the jumping Ganados, for instance) that make people sing its praises, while the mine thrower is rarely given that same opportunity, if at all. As such, the mine thrower gets stuck being the extremely difficult to use gimmick weapon that gets shat on because nobody opts to invest the time to discover its strengths and quirks.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

CJacobs posted:

But to be honest though, if you're gonna go all out and build a gigantic stone statue of yourself, you may as well make it animatronic. There's really no reason not to.
That is an unfortunately placed QTE prompt.

But yes, I do love how you can OHKO Salazar with the rocket launcher. Such a fitting way to quickly end the boss fight, to the point the Merchant even sells you a new rocket launcher if you've used up the one you got way back in the earlier parts of the castle. And no, you're not crazy, the jump over commands on the Salazar statue are spotty at best. Even on consoles, that prompt only seems to trigger when you are precisely at a certain point.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I understand that you want to show off everything in the game for completion sakes, that is fair.

However, you have abandoned the superior magnum option, CJacobs. May the spider gods show mercy.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

You know, that does bring a rather interesting question to the fore: just what nationality is Saddler?

Still, nothing more 'murican than calling each other "comrade".
I think Saddler is supposed to be "vaguely European, leaning towards someone from the UK".

However, either Saddler's VA doesn't really care that he doesn't sound like he's from the region or the English voice director didn't care about that detail either.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'll admit that I almost never try to knife-fight Krauser during this sequence. I might get one or two swipes in, but I mostly go with guns for this. Mostly due to how slow I can be reacting to him because Krauser is one of the faster enemies/bosses you fight. Then his arm mutates and suddenly you get slapped with back-to-back-to-back QTEs trying to avoid Krauser's attacks and I just go "gently caress it, eat some Broken Butterfly, rear end in a top hat." He's a nice change of pace, don't get me wrong, but Krauser can be annoying to fight because of his speed.

Also, I always expect his flash bang move to be the setup for an insta-kill, but nope, it's just Krauser doing his best Brave Sir Robin impression.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

CirclMastr posted:

Is it just me, or does anyone else assume that since this is a Resident Evil game, Mike obviously didn't die in the helicopter crash?
Just you. Capcom has this bizarre hatred of helicopters and goes out of its way to kill them off. If there's a helicopter in a Capcom game, there is a 90% chance it will be dead within about 5 to 10 minutes of its arrival.

The only ones that escape are the designated "end of game helicopter ride home" pilots.

Tendales posted:

Piloting a helicopter is a death sentence in the RE universe, really. I think CV is the only game that doesn't blow up a chopper at some point.
IIRC, Code Veronica doesn't even have helicopters in it. The only aircraft seen in the game are the big transport airplane to the Antarctica base/lab, and the Harrier jet Claire and Chris fly home in at the end of the game.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

You actually don't even need the rocket launcher, it's perfectly possible to just shoot (+crane +explode) him enough.
True, but finishing off the final boss with a rocket launcher is a grand tradition for this franchise, so why pass up the free weapon Ada gives you?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

hard counter posted:

Speaking of separate ways, I don't know why Ada didn't wear her practical mercenaries costume over the long dress in the main campaign :saddowns:
Something something super spy blah blah blah.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Fish Noise posted:

Okay, how much of Leon's supporting cast of super spies and spec ops are just going NOTICE ME COMRADE all the time?
Pretty much only Krauser, due to their backstory not shown until Darkside Chronicles. Ada just runs on teasing those she encounters in her line of work, with Leon being the biggest magnet for this thanks to how he reacts to it.

Leon's issue, aside from causing vehicles to spontaneously explode, is that he manages to win over (most of) the ladies, but instead either moves on to other things or gets shot down by said female acquaintances. Again, Ada tops this category due to the numerous times she and Leon have crossed paths, mostly because: Hunnigan snubs Leon and keeps their relationship professional, Claire moves to being "a trusted good friend" of Leon's, Ashley drops off the face of the Earth after this game despite trying to win Leon over at the end, Sherry looks up to Leon as more of a mentor/father figure kind of person, and Helena can go rot in a ditch for all I care. So yeah, Leon's basically a chick magnet who leaves behind a mountain of unresolved sexual tension with almost everyone he meets. And then there's Krauser, the former partner who went crazy after a bioterror incident where he lost his arm (the same one that mutates during his boss fight, no less) who kind of tries to understand how Leon manages everything. By trying to kill Leon, of course.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Also I love the noise and model of this shotgun and wish you could get it in the main game somehow.
I would not be surprised if there is a mod that replaces one of Leon's shotguns with Ada's unique one.

And yes, Ada's trade-off is that she gets the tricked out weapons right as they unlock, but has to deal with shortcomings like ammo capacity being only slightly upgraded. Thus, as you're seeing CJacobs, you get stuck with a lot of ammo drops to make up for Ada not having things like 100-round magazines for her guns. Also, enjoy the beauty that is the semi-auto sniper rifle with max damage, which you criminally never got in your run with Leon.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, as Antistar said, welcome to one of the more annoyingly difficult parts of Separate Ways: the gunship section. Where enemies fly at you, and the hitboxes are whatever the game feels like at that time.

No really, your last death in video happened to me as well. Three seconds from grabbing the key card, and bam, dead from AA gunfire that seemed to pass through the walls and supports. This part is not fun at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Attano Science is putting in the extra effort, I see.

• Locked thread