Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Inspired by my last foray into running a hybrid RPG/CYOA on these very forums, I've decided to do another Burning Wheel CYOA concurrently with the adventures of Astride the Beast, Orc Spartacus.

This time our game will be about Dwarves. Dwarves in Burning Wheel are Tolkienistic to the extreme: they're expert artisans, greedy, and fierce and proud little warriors. Greed is the operative word here: all Dwarves lust after something, whether physical beauty, riches or power, and that Greed is what drives their very being, and often consumes them. The arc of a Dwarven Prince on a quest to reclaim their lost kingdom from an evil dragon only to go mad upon reclaiming their vast riches is one that is definitely 100% doable in Burning Wheel.

Also, according to the game's designer Luke Crane, Dwarves are extremely conservative and patriarchal. This doesn't actually manifest anywhere in the game's rules, meaning that it's definitely one of those things that's to be left to the whims of the group, and while there isn't any outright ban on Dwarven ladies, they are supposedly extremely rare. As such, there's definitely room for playing as a Dwarven lady who goes against the patriarchal traditions of their culture.

While we'll start with creating our own Dwarf, my other game showed me that presenting too many options makes for extremely confusing character creation. As such, this time character creation will be much more structured, with clear indications as to which direction each choice in the character creation minigame will take us.

Dwarven society is extremely rigid and caste-based. While there is some degree of social mobility, for the most part your lot in life is determined by the circumstances of your birth.
  • The Clansmen - The salt of the earth, the workers, farmers, herders, and millers of Dwarven society.
  • The Guilders - The merchants and tradesmen of Dwarven society.
  • The Artificers - The artisans and smiths of Dwarven society.
  • The Nobility - The learned gentry and upper class of warriors, deriving their right to rule from the most ancient lines of dwarves.

In addition to these four castes there are two more settings that only become available later on in our life: The Host, being the Dwarven military, and the Outcasts, being all those callings that Dwarves consider eerie, scandalous or simply unfitting a for a proper Dwarf.

With regards to the Host, while a Dwarf born into the Clansman, Guilder or Artificer castes might be able to climb the ranks of the Host and eventually become a Captain or a Warden, it's very much an uphill struggle for them: Dwarves born into the Nobility have a much easier time reaching those positions, probably because of nepotism.

The Outcast setting is one that most Dwarves don't enter of their own vocation, but a Dwarf might find themselves Outcast simply due to not being able to handle the strict nature of Dwarven society. Some Dwarves simply become Outcasts because they find themselves being called to a life of adventure, while some become outcasts due to breaking Oaths (a big deal) or being too cowardly to take an Oath in the first place (an even bigger deal). Some Dwarves take the Dwarven predisposition towards hard drinking too far and become drunks, while some take to gambling: Dwarves are firm believers in fate and determinism, so gambling is considered really un-Dwarfy. Who in their right mind bets their riches on the roll of the die? Even worse, there are those Dwarves who make fate their plaything, casting rune stones and reading the fates from them. Spooky stuff.

Without further ado, let us begin creating our Dwarf. First question: Are we a Man or a Woman?

Secondly, which caste of Dwarven society were we born into? Are we Born Clansman, Born Guilder, Born Artificer, or Born Noble? All of these settings provide plenty of openings to the Host and Outcast subsettings, but bear in mind that Nobility opens many doors in the military.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Born Guilder.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Noblewoman, with a greed for power. I want to play Dwarf House of Cards.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
We are a woman who was born nobility. Who will almost certainly end up eventually becoming Outcast because that's the best way to become Dwarf Spartacus wait am I getting my Burning Wheel CYOAs mixed up

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

RandallODim posted:

Noblewoman, with a greed for power. I want to play Dwarf House of Cards.

Then you want to be a Hobbit, and name the character Francis Underhill.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Female born noble sounds like a plan.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

We are a born noble dwarven lady.

Our noble heritage grants us the Dvergar trait: we are descended from the ancient, mythical forebears of the Dwarves, granting us a 1D affiliation with Dwarven nobility as well as a 1D reputation among Dwarves as a noble. We also have a +1 Ob to all Inconspicuous tests among Dwarves, because it's harder for us to hide in crowds what with our noble bearing.

We also learn the Dwarven Rune Script skill, which counts as the Read and Write skills for the sake of Dwarven writing, because the Dwarven educational system is awesome like that.

How was our upbringing?
  • Our family was a well-established Dwarven noble family with a long and storied history. Our upbringing consisted of learning to recite the names of all our ancient Dwarven forebears as well as learning etiquette. (Lifepath: Abecedart, allows for Chronicler within the Noble Setting as well a lead into the Outcast Setting)
  • Our family was a well-established Dwarven family with a proud military tradition. Our upbringing consisted of the basic skills of a noblewoman, including placating foreign nobles, singing, keeping the household accounts as well as learning the secrets whispered in Dwarven court. (Lifepath: Noble Ardent, allows for Axe Bearer within the Noble Setting as well leads into the Guilder and Outcast Settings)
  • Our family, while of noble lineage, had taken up the artificer's craft. Our upbringing consisted of helping our father, stoking the fires of his forge and placating him during his fell moods. (Lifepath: Artificer's Ardent, allows for further lifepaths in the Artificer Setting as well as leads into the Clansman, Host and Guilder Settings)
  • Our family, while of noble lineage, had fallen upon hard times, forcing our father to become a simple trader. Our upbringing consisted of us peddling his goods around the market, as well as learning the life on the street. (Lifepath: Hawker, allows for Trader within the Guilder Setting as well as leads into the Clansman, Host and Outcast Settings)

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
This is a CYOA. All Craftsdwarfship is of the finest quality. It is studded with posts. On it is an image of Dwarves. The Dwarves are burning.

Let's have someone else's greed for our craft kick things off?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Noble Ardent seems most likely to prepare us to play Mineshaft of Cards

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Ralith posted:

Noble Ardent seems most likely to prepare us to play Mineshaft of Cards

Agreed.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
Abecedart, fer sure. 420 cast runes erry day.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Oh, by the way, I forgot an extremely important question: all Dwarves in Burning Wheel start with the Dwarven Common Trait Bearded but the description of the trait states that all male Dwarves have great beards. While we're deciding on our character's next Lifepath, there's an important question to be addressed: do Dwarven women also have beards?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Yes. Beards for all!

Also Abecedart

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Of course they have beards Go Nagai Sideburns!

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 13, 2015

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Lifepath: Noble Ardent and no beards.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I'm going to buck the usual trend and say Dwarven women do not grow beards, but traditionally wear prosthetic beards trimmed from the beards of their great male ancestors.

How our particular dwarf feels about being socially pressured into wearing a beard that is supposed to be imbued with the spirits of her ancestors who will keep her safe in a male-dominated society will be interesting to see.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
Ardent And not beards per se, but epic mutton chops.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Go Nagai Sideburns

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I'm going to buck the usual trend and say Dwarven women do not grow beards, but traditionally wear prosthetic beards trimmed from the beards of their great male ancestors.

How our particular dwarf feels about being socially pressured into wearing a beard that is supposed to be imbued with the spirits of her ancestors who will keep her safe in a male-dominated society will be interesting to see.

Now this, this is a good one.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

This is a great and clever idea and I love it.

Also, Ardent because Abecedarts don't have court intrigue in their description.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Artificer's Ardent so we can get on the path to Black-Metal Artifice and Stentorious Singing. :rock:

Also,

Dwarven women do not grow beards, but traditionally wear prosthetic beards trimmed from the beards of their great male ancestors.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Dwarven women do not grow beards, but traditionally wear prosthetic beards trimmed from the beards of their great male ancestors.

Also, we go Noble Ardent. We learn to Sing, as well as getting Soothing Platitudes, Accounting and Whispered Secrets-wise as Skills we might want to open later on. We also gain the Trait Humility in the Face of Your Betters.

After having received our basic training there's a few openings we might take (I'm not listing all of them, because some mean moving backwards and not forwards):

• The young noble men started learning the art of war as Axe Bearers. Our father wouldn't let us train with them, but we found a friend in a common born Graybeard who had become a court favorite due to his skills at arms, and he taught us what he knew. (Lifepath: Noble Axe Bearer. Opens up Leads into the Host and Outcast Settings, as well as opening the Prince Lifepath in the Noble Setting)
  • Our father was insistent on us learning a trade so as to attract a potential suitor and thus a political marriage. We were sent to train with a Guilder Craftsman. (Lifepath: Journeyman. Opens the Craftsman and Trader Lifepaths in the Guilder Setting, as well as allowing for Leads into Clansman, Artificer and Host Settings. Also, gives us Black-Metal Artifice!)
  • Life in the court was endlessly boring. Against our father's wishes we decided to pack our bags and go on an Adventure. (Lifepath: Adventurer, which gives us Leads into the Clansman and Guilder Settings as well as opening further Outcast Lifepaths. Note: This is a big deal because it will mark us as an Adventurer in Dwarven society, putting a stain on us that will make the Nobles and Artificers distrust us.)
  • While spending time in town trying our hardest to disguise ourselves as a commoner we found an old woman reading the fates from Rune Stones. She gave us a cryptic reading of our future and agreed to teach us her art to help us discern our true fate. (Lifepath: Rune Caster, which has a Lead into all Settings except Host. Yes, we could go into the Outcast Setting to become a Rune Caster only to head back to the Noble Setting. Also, we'll learn Rune Casting)

Oh, and about that Prince Lifepath: it's pretty much the most powerful Lifepath in the Burning Wheel. Not only does it give a bunch of nice Skills and Traits, it also gives us two hundred freaking Resource Points. This is both a blessing and a curse: the more Resource Points you start with, the higher your starting Greed exponent. Also, if we do jump into the Prince Lifepath we'll have to come up with a really good narrative for how our female Dwarf rose to such a prominent position.

Also, for the longest time I've wondered whether the Dwarven Prince Lifepath is supposed to be a Prince in the sense of a Prince of the Blood or a Petty Ruler, and I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be the latter. Taking the Prince Lifepath would mean that we'd be the equivalent of a High Duke or a Petty King or something.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Ratpick posted:

Yesssssssssssssssss

The opportunity to scandalize dwarven society by tearing off our false beard in the middle of the Mountainhome and declaring ourselves to be <NAME> The Bare-Cheeked is a valuable card to keep up our sleeve until it's needed

Also let's go Rune Caster with an eye towards looping back into Noble to try and grab Prince later. We can't House of Cards our way to the top if we started near the top already, but some unexpected magic tricks might be handy to have in our quest.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Clarification: Rune Casting isn't exactly magic tricks. It's divination through casting rune stones from a bag and reading the fates from those runes. Dwarves being extremely into fate think it's really sick to mess around with fate like this.

It's a really cool skill though: it allows us to make pronouncements about people and their fate and when those fates come true we get Artha! However, each time we do it we need to change one of our Beliefs to be in line with our reading.

It can also be Linked and FoRKed into all types of tests, but there's a catch: if you FoRK it into a test, the die counts as open-ended both way, so a 1 means that it can potentially reduce our successes!

Still, it's definitely not a bad skill to have.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

What is Black Metal Artifice?

Or: What's so great about Black Metal?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Dwarven Metal Artifice is divided into two types: Black and White. Black Metal Artifice is the art of crafting tools and goods from base, or "Black", metals, like iron. White Metal Artifice is for making decorative items and vanities out of precious, or "White", metals, like gold and silver.

Both skills are magical, meaning that they are open-ended (extra dice when sixes are rolled), meaning they are quite simply better than their mundane equivalents.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Runecaster

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Ratpick posted:

Dwarven Metal Artifice is divided into two types: Black and White. Black Metal Artifice is the art of crafting tools and goods from base, or "Black", metals, like iron. White Metal Artifice is for making decorative items and vanities out of precious, or "White", metals, like gold and silver.

Both skills are magical, meaning that they are open-ended (extra dice when sixes are rolled), meaning they are quite simply better than their mundane equivalents.

I realized after I asked that it could just refer to blacksmithing. Turns out I was right (to an extent). Cool to know that it's magical, though.

Let's Cast Some Runes.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ratpick posted:

We should learn white metal artifice and make shiny magical beards for other dwarf ladies to make them better than the paternalistic male Dwarves.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Cast runes gently caress with fate.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
The only way to get to Prince in four lifepaths is if we take Axe Bearer now, so that's my vote.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
Rune-caster, though I definitely think we should go Axe-bearer next. What's the point of playing a dwarf if you aren't going to hit people with axes?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Ratpick posted:

Dwarves are firm believers in fate and determinism, so gambling is considered really un-Dwarfy. Who in their right mind bets their riches on the roll of the die? Even worse, there are those Dwarves who make fate their plaything, casting rune stones and reading the fates from them. Spooky stuff.

I feel like this is backwards. If you're literally rolling dice, isn't that a pure expression of fate (so long as the dice aren't loaded)?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Green Intern posted:

I feel like this is backwards. If you're literally rolling dice, isn't that a pure expression of fate (so long as the dice aren't loaded)?

Yeah, I'm mixing Games of Chance and Rune Casting together: Rune Casting is considered mad and profane, but there's no such stigma attached to Games of Chance, apart from the wording that there's a certain "cult" among Dwarves who are really into Games of Chance.

This is really just based on my reading of the fact that Gambler is an Outcast Lifepath, but it does give me the distinct impression that gambling is considered very un-dwarfy. Even if the roll of the dice is, basically, determined by fate and not by chance, why would any sane Dwarf bet their money on such a thing? (The answer, of course, is Greed.)

And really, I don't think it even has to be internally consistent, because that's what magical thinking is all about : Dwarves believe in fate and determinism, which is exactly why they think games of chance are bad, because chance and randomness just don't sit with the traditional Dwarven mindset. I know that's a circular argument, but hey, superstitions! :v:

e: Also, I think this is a really interesting tangent! As I said, I'm basically extrapolating from what little information there is on Dwarves in Burning Wheel, so I'm making a lot of assumptions and interpretations of my own, so stuff like this is really great in helping me do a bit more world-building.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 15, 2015

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
I want axe bears so I'll go with Axe Bearer.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
As a Rune Caster question, how do your 'predictions' have to work? Is it within the limits to predict something and then forcibly make it come true?

Basically, can we open fights by throwing the bones, and announcing "You're gonna die" as a legitimate prediction?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

RandallODim posted:

As a Rune Caster question, how do your 'predictions' have to work? Is it within the limits to predict something and then forcibly make it come true?

Basically, can we open fights by throwing the bones, and announcing "You're gonna die" as a legitimate prediction?

Okay, here's how Rune Casting works: you declare your prediction (which has to be tied to a specific character) and roll the skill. The Obstacle is actually LOWER the more notable your target is. The prediction must also tie into one of the target's Beliefs.

Now, for the prediction to even have a chance of coming true, the Rune Caster also has to change one of their Beliefs to fit the prediction. This Belief obeys the normal rules for Beliefs: working towards fulfilling it and actually fulfilling it give you Artha!

The benefit of this skill is allowing you to change your Beliefs very easily in play, as long as you tie your new Beliefs to the fate of another character. The fates only come true or not in play, but if they do come true you get rewarded.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Ratpick posted:

Yeah, I'm mixing Games of Chance and Rune Casting together: Rune Casting is considered mad and profane, but there's no such stigma attached to Games of Chance, apart from the wording that there's a certain "cult" among Dwarves who are really into Games of Chance.

This is really just based on my reading of the fact that Gambler is an Outcast Lifepath, but it does give me the distinct impression that gambling is considered very un-dwarfy. Even if the roll of the dice is, basically, determined by fate and not by chance, why would any sane Dwarf bet their money on such a thing? (The answer, of course, is Greed.)

And really, I don't think it even has to be internally consistent, because that's what magical thinking is all about : Dwarves believe in fate and determinism, which is exactly why they think games of chance are bad, because chance and randomness just don't sit with the traditional Dwarven mindset. I know that's a circular argument, but hey, superstitions! :v:

e: Also, I think this is a really interesting tangent! As I said, I'm basically extrapolating from what little information there is on Dwarves in Burning Wheel, so I'm making a lot of assumptions and interpretations of my own, so stuff like this is really great in helping me do a bit more world-building.

Perhaps making a game of Fate is simply frowned upon. Fate should be taken far more seriously!

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

It seems like Rune Caster has the popular vote.

We spent the next twenty years of our life apprenticed to Helga, the old woman who first read our fate. From her we learned Rune Casting, and we also picked up Foraging, Scavenging and Bad End-wise as skills we might want to open up later. We also get the trait Slave to Fate.

For our fourth (and possibly final) lifepath, what was the reading that Helga gave us about?
  • She drew a set of runes that denote martial prowess and leadership. We were destined to become a great leader of Dwarves through strength of arms, and thus we began our training with our friendly court Graybeard. (Lifepath: Axe Bearer.)
  • She saw in the runes us on a quest to reclaim some ancient lost Dwarven treasure. As luck would have it, upon finishing our apprenticeship with Helga a local Prince started gathering a party to reclaim a lost Dwarven kingdom, overrun by Orcs in the last war. (Lifepath: Adventurer.)
  • The runes revealed that we would attain greatness through marrying an ambitious nobleman and helping him achieve greatness. Together we would rise to greatness. (Lifepath: Wife.)

This will be our last Lifepath: unlike in the Orc game, where taking Lifepaths in excess of 4 is the norm, 4 Lifepath Dwarves are already quite capable. Also, the last Lifepath already has some clear starting points for Beliefs built in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Everyone knows that behind every great Dwarf is a spouse. Let's keep the House of Cards theme and find an advantageous Dwarf who needs a Wife.

• Locked thread