Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max
Nov 30, 2002

I chose to put her in a home because I kinda saw things going completely bad for Henry if he tried to take care of her on his own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Fans posted:

Seems like the better option. One of the choices if you do look after her is if you should leave her completely unattended at night while you go drinking or if you should wedge a chair under the door so she can't wander off.

Henry is not a very good carer.

To be fair, full time care of someone with any kind of dementia all by yourself sounds like a nightmare, especially if it's someone you love :(

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Max posted:

I chose to put her in a home because I kinda saw things going completely bad for Henry if he tried to take care of her on his own.

And they do, which makes the message at the end to go back to her so weird.

Ahundredbux posted:

To be fair, full time care of someone with any kind of dementia all by yourself sounds like a nightmare, especially if it's someone you love :(

Oh I'm not saying it isn't tough! Just that Henry really shouldn't be doing it.

Fans fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 2, 2016

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Fans posted:

Yeah, I figured as much. The idea of him going back to her makes more sense if it was just a fact of him drifting away from her while she is being cared for at a facility.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
My ending was basically two broken people deciding they should probably meet up again after they deal with their poo poo. It was a good, heartwarming ending.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Fans posted:

I read it as him going back to reconnect with his wife who he's been estranged from due to her illness and how he reacted to it. Delilah and Henry speak about it in terms of "going to see her". So more like visiting without any implications of making a decision to bring her back or stay with her in Australia. Realistic relationship baby steps.

And yeah, as someone who lived with and helped care for a loved one with Alzheimer's for several years, it's complete torture. I almost stopped playing the game when that choice came up.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I do like the plot. I just wish there was more mundane and or interesting poo poo to do in the game, like optional sidequests, you know? I was hooked when I got to throw the stereo into the lake; I wanted more of Henry the firewatch guy, but the teen girls subplot wraps up off screen and that's that.

Also you can do more with the "Henry (maybe) doesn't trust Delilah" idea. In the game you can go "Maybe YOU are in on all of this!" but then Delilah scolds you and that's kind of it. I was hoping for an interesting sequence where you can go on your own way for a bit to make sure she's trustworthy somehow while lying through your teeth about what you are currently doing: "All right. I'm currently at location X *checks map* Man that's a..a steep cliff right there." Then you even have the interesting choice to whether or not come clean and tell her about it in the end.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Megaspel posted:

The only bit which made me doubt it for a second was the tent with all the monitoring equipment and charts and poo poo, which in retrospect is completely stupid, I don't believe a single dude could've or would've set all that poo poo up to gaslight people, bunch of heavy machinery and expensive poo poo in there.

To be fair to the game, he explicitly didn't. All that poo poo's from an unrelated science thing, he just threw his fake files in there to freak you out.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

dmboogie posted:

To be fair to the game, he explicitly didn't. All that poo poo's from an unrelated science thing, he just threw his fake files in there to freak you out.

Ah right, that makes more sense. In retrospect that whole gaslighting bit makes more sense with that in mind. Still not a fan of all the other stuff I've mentioned, but you're right, that was an unfair criticism.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
This game is currently 10% off.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
As someone born and raised in Wyoming and whose sister used to work in Yellowstone, should I purchase this game?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Star Man posted:

As someone born and raised in Wyoming and whose sister used to work in Yellowstone, should I purchase this game?
It depends more on the kind of games you like more than anything, I think. If you're into the type of low key game something like Gone Home is, you'll probably like this.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
If you would get irrationally angry at someone using terribly unsafe rock climbing skills in a remote region, be warned. For example, the paths this game has you take have the main character commonly jumping down 9 to 14 feet, sometimes without a path back up in sight, sometimes onto exposed ledges. Though the vistas were beautiful and there's some fun story-through-dialogue that's not the kind you normally get in a video game, the movement had me gritting my teeth at my guy's lackadaisical attitude toward safety.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

thatdarnedbob posted:

If you would get irrationally angry at someone using terribly unsafe rock climbing skills in a remote region, be warned. For example, the paths this game has you take have the main character commonly jumping down 9 to 14 feet, sometimes without a path back up in sight, sometimes onto exposed ledges. Though the vistas were beautiful and there's some fun story-through-dialogue that's not the kind you normally get in a video game, the movement had me gritting my teeth at my guy's lackadaisical attitude toward safety.

Henry is what we in technical terms refer to as a bumbling fool.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Does Henry get any training at all for his job? I'm pretty sure he doesn't even know what his actual job is when he turns up.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Fans posted:

Does Henry get any training at all for his job? I'm pretty sure he doesn't even know what his actual job is when he turns up.

IIRC there's some evidence that he's a generally pretty fit dude? But other than that not really that I can think of.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

PantsBandit posted:

IIRC there's some evidence that he's a generally pretty fit dude? But other than that not really that I can think of.

I mean, he's not super morbidly obese but they go out of their way to show that he's out of shape and not overly sure of himself physically.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That was a bit annoying. Especially when he's able to just jump down a ten foot cliff but be needs to rappel down a gentle slope.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

PantsBandit posted:

I don't mean like fitness training, but more "Hey, here's what your actual job is. This is how forest fires start"

Because from what we get in game he apparently turns up knowing literally gently caress all about his job.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Well it IS a government job after all...

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I don't think they even told Henry where to get food for himself until a few days in. He was pretty much just one radio outage in a bad storm away from dying in that tower. Really the amazing thing isn't that Brian is dead but that there isn't another fifty or so bodies down there with him.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
The GiantBomb VR thing they did showed Henry's character model, and he's overweight and out of shape.

edit: not as bad as I remembered.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ0JTkBZdyw

Right around 9:37

synthetik fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 14, 2016

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

synthetik posted:

The GiantBomb VR thing they did showed Henry's character model, and he's overweight and out of shape.

Are you talking about Will From Tested™?

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Cojawfee posted:

Are you talking about Will From Tested™?

Oh, is that not supposed to be the player character? I just assumed it was! Kinda what I had in my head when playing.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

synthetik posted:

They show that drawing of him right at the beginning, and Henry looks overweight in it. I just imagined that over the summer he got more stocky from running around the wilderness all the time.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

I thought characters being wonky kinda whimsical cartoons was a terrible choice for this game, considering its tone. Maybe it's because this flat colorful environment style is so overused that I didn't expect it to deviate from the norm so much in one specific area. It doesn't show you many people throughout the game, so at one point the guy mentions seeing a photo of another character and I got confused for a moment, because all I could see was a dumb cartoon with a huge nose and Disney eyes. Everything else is rendered with realistic proportions or only slightly exaggerated. In the end I just decided to ignore the drawings and imagine the characters as real people.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
Picture Henry lying at the bottom of a ravine, his ankles shattered, heat stroke setting in, a wildfire's smoke filling the air. His only chance of a rescue is a six mile hike with substantial elevation gain away. "If only," he whispers into a radio with no one on the other end, "I hadn't routinely eaten enough peanut butter for three men and then jumped fourteen feet onto hard ground!"

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

loga mira posted:

I thought characters being wonky kinda whimsical cartoons was a terrible choice for this game, considering its tone. Maybe it's because this flat colorful environment style is so overused that I didn't expect it to deviate from the norm so much in one specific area. It doesn't show you many people throughout the game, so at one point the guy mentions seeing a photo of another character and I got confused for a moment, because all I could see was a dumb cartoon with a huge nose and Disney eyes. Everything else is rendered with realistic proportions or only slightly exaggerated. In the end I just decided to ignore the drawings and imagine the characters as real people.

I think if you actually pasted the world art from Firewatch into, say, Uncharted 4 or something, it would look like you walked out of reality and onto the set of Roger Rabbit. I am really proud of the look of Firewatch and consider it incredibly cohesive, but not actually very realistic. I'm not saying that to invalidate your read of the world -- you're more than welcome to have that takeaway and firmly disagree with me! - but I think you're seeing something different than what the people who were making it saw.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
For me, the thing I liked about the art was how it was unreal in a way that felt comfortable. Kind of like when you watch a Pixar movie and you know it's our world, but kinda... once removed? I don't think I'm describing it all that well but hopefully at least some people will get what I mean.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

loga mira posted:

:confused: The art all looked completely consistent to me, even when we see the pictures at the end and the drawing of Henry at the beginning. Nothing was out of place with anything else in the game, besides the pictures being drawings instead of 3D models

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

The game shows you some morbid stuff and the cartoonyness dissonated with that also, in my opinion. I don't want to dig into it since I like the game overall.

Another thing I thought could've been done better, and it's also about the characters. When (spoilers, but why are you reading this anyway, play the game first) I got to the lake and the two chraracters there I thought "this is gonna be like those 2D adventure games where you chase after people but never meet them, because they wouldn't have 2D cut-out characters here if they also had proper 3D characters elsewhere." So the "ah they're gone already" moments were predictable, because in the beginning it failed to convince me there was an actual possibility of meeting a person. It's like a movie implying that something terrible can happen that they won't be able to show anyway because of age ratings.

There was the helicopter guy of course, with the ridiculously detailed helicopter.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

loga mira posted:

Another thing I thought could've been done better, and it's also about the characters. When (spoilers, but why are you reading this anyway, play the game first) I got to the lake and the two chraracters there I thought "this is gonna be like those 2D adventure games where you chase after people but never meet them, because they wouldn't have 2D cut-out characters here if they also had proper 3D characters elsewhere." So the "ah they're gone already" moments were predictable, because in the beginning it failed to convince me there was an actual possibility of meeting a person. It's like a movie implying that something terrible can happen that they won't be able to show anyway because of age ratings.

That brings a question: is it the creator's responsibility to think of all the meta nuances of a story? Should they go "hmm, I want to make it seem like this character is in serious danger of losing multiple limbs here, but this scene doesn't really work since the players/viewers/readers know this story is PG"? Does it have to prove that it can render 3D characters just to make sure that you believe one can exist in the game?

I mean, they certainly can do that, and a game like the Stanley Parable is literally just that and pretty much nothing else. Yet I think it can also bloat a story with exposition or "fake-outs" to appease the "smarter" audience.

In the end I go through these experiences to have fun, and I've found that part of my responsibilities is to willfully "forget" about the world outside the story so that I can fully enjoy it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

loga mira posted:

There was the helicopter guy of course, with the ridiculously detailed helicopter.

Park is purgatory. Helicopter man is God. Helicopter isn't a metaphor for anything, but it does take you to heaven.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

I though maybe the detail on the helicopter, it was seriously like something out of FSX, meant a return to reality or something like that.

UnfurledSails posted:

That brings a question: is it the creator's responsibility to think of all the meta nuances of a story? Should they go "hmm, I want to make it seem like this character is in serious danger of losing multiple limbs here, but this scene doesn't really work since the players/viewers/readers know this story is PG"? Does it have to prove that it can render 3D characters just to make sure that you believe one can exist in the game?

I mean, they certainly can do that, and a game like the Stanley Parable is literally just that and pretty much nothing else. Yet I think it can also bloat a story with exposition or "fake-outs" to appease the "smarter" audience.

In the end I go through these experiences to have fun, and I've found that part of my responsibilities is to willfully "forget" about the world outside the story so that I can fully enjoy it.

Yeah most people wouldn't notice that, and I only did because it reminded me of some old Euro adventure games. There are some details we notice in games because someone made a fuss about them in the past, like the crate thing, but most people don't analyze games this way. Still it's something an obsessive developer would've thought of. One of the reasons The Long Dark story mode keeps getting delayed is they wanted to make the characters real in-game entities.

I haven't played Stanley Parable, but this game reminded me, obviously, of Dear Esther, which came from the same wave of indie nonsense (affectionate term). It is in some ways an evolution of that, where DE had one character's constant monologue, this game has dialogue, in DE the only form of interaction was seeing something or walking somewhere, this game adds the ability to grab and throw things, DE was a linear string of maps, this game is quasi-open world. Both games are beautiful and story-driven, in this game most of the story has already happened and you are like a catalyst that causes it to resolve, Dear Esther's story was all in the past.

It's like these developers are trying to find combinations of gameplay elements that aren't detrimental to storytelling, that don't make you switch from the "things are happening and I'm a part of them" mode to the "I'm solving problems based on skills I've acquired in the past" mode. The moment with the stereo in this game felt novel to me because it was so natural, it didn't feel mechanical. I think it teaches you to pick up and drop things specifically for that moment alone, and that isn't wasteful at all. Teaching the player an action so they can use it once to advance the story in some natural, meaningful, and emotionally rewarding way, that's an achievement in a story game. How many games manage to do that at all?

Maybe VR will push games in this direction since everything needs to be rethought for VR, actions need to be slower and more elaborate, and natural. People say that even standing too close to someone can make you feel uncomfortable in VR.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
This is dumb, but does anyone have or know how to extract the Forrest Byrnes texture?

I'm creating a Firewatch race in Stellaris for absolutely no good reason. Made an empire flag with the tree logo, now I want to whip up portraits for the species, all of them slight variants on the Byrnes cutout.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

This is dumb, but does anyone have or know how to extract the Forrest Byrnes texture?

I'm creating a Firewatch race in Stellaris for absolutely no good reason. Made an empire flag with the tree logo, now I want to whip up portraits for the species, all of them slight variants on the Byrnes cutout.

Good Byrnes face can be found here, though the body is not canon (Byrnes has a fire trench shovel not a flame thrower in the game) https://www.reddit.com/r/Firewatch/comments/486dim/fooling_around_with_vector_graphics_ended_up_with/

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008
This walking sim suffers from massive tonal shift in the middle with a forgettable climax and cheap ending that felt like the developers were too lazy to make some 3d models so they could get away with the non impactful closure of the character dynamics. The premise seems great but the execution of the sub narrative was eye rolling.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

TheAsterite posted:

This walking sim suffers from massive tonal shift in the middle with a forgettable climax and cheap ending that felt like the developers were too lazy to make some 3d models so they could get away with the non impactful closure of the character dynamics. The premise seems great but the execution of the sub narrative was eye rolling.

Lazy devs :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ja2ke posted:

Lazy devs :(

Did you get to fill out your bingo sheet or is "Lazy Devs" the free spot? :v:

• Locked thread