Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Am I the only one who wished we didn't see the the helicopter guy at the end? I mentally put myself in a space where I didn't expect or want to see any character models the entire game, and having him at the end broke the spell at the last second for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Didn't you also see what's-his-tits? Thingy's dad?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Finished this game last night. I liked how to made me feel relaxed but also very sad at the same time.

I then had a dream that I was playing Firewatch and there was an angry mob mode where an angry mob would chase you around the wilderness.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
You see some naked girls

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

reality_groove posted:

Finished this game last night. I liked how to made me feel relaxed but also very sad at the same time.

I then had a dream that I was playing Firewatch and there was an angry mob mode where an angry mob would chase you around the wilderness.

would play the poo poo out of this

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Finally got around to playing this, and have skimmed the thread. I tend to agree with the people who said that this would have been an infinitely better game had they cut the whole grand-conspiracy-that-wasn't arc. You could still have had the Brian stuff, but I think the whole Wapati Meadow bit makes everything around it worse. The game was beautiful, walking around it was good, and the conversations with Delilah were believable. It almost feels like (and this probably wasn't actually what happened, but...) the devs didn't trust the audience to be willing to play a game without a psuedo-science fiction plot, so they shoehorned one in where it didn't need to be. It's a shame, because I really enjoyed all the more grounded aspects. Still, worth playing though.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

the devs didn't trust the audience to be willing to play a game without a psuedo-science fiction plot, so they shoehorned one in where it didn't need to be.

Well, they probably shouldn't, considering the way Gone Home was received.

I honestly liked that arc, though - raised the tension a bit and drove the story along.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
In case anyone is interested in a nice little video about the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CA3S9L_JvU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
They are adding dev commentary and a free roam mode where you get to walk around the place with a day/night cycle going. Sounds pretty neato!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Totally wasn't expecting this. Sounds cool!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Very cool!!! Excited to make the dead kid's fort my home base for the exploration mode

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
So I'm a bit weird in that an in-game museum, especially a dev-commentary museum, takes a game from 'good' to 'can't miss'. So I am super stoked about this guided walking tour of a walking simulator.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I got to the end of Day 79 with all the cassettes marked off on the map, but one empty bubble left in the checklist on the side.

So I assume that there must be one cassette at Delilah's station, except when I get there I find two of them.

Which makes me wonder if there was a single unmarked cassette on the map, and then I remembered the unmarked cassette station that was crushed by the avalanche on the Thorofare Trail, and I'm wondering if that becomes active after whichever day I collected the turtle.

Also, yes, the commentary mode is pretty great, except you can miss them, especially during the montage in the middle. Fortunately, the game now makes backup saves at the beginning of each day, unfortunately once you get to Delilah's station it somehow seems to ignore the save files entirely.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

I got to the end of Day 79 with all the cassettes marked off on the map, but one empty bubble left in the checklist on the side.

So I assume that there must be one cassette at Delilah's station, except when I get there I find two of them.

Which makes me wonder if there was a single unmarked cassette on the map, and then I remembered the unmarked cassette station that was crushed by the avalanche on the Thorofare Trail, and I'm wondering if that becomes active after whichever day I collected the turtle.

Also, yes, the commentary mode is pretty great, except you can miss them, especially during the montage in the middle. Fortunately, the game now makes backup saves at the beginning of each day, unfortunately once you get to Delilah's station it somehow seems to ignore the save files entirely.

Ah yeah you found the one secret track - kiosk 13 on day 79.

I don't know quite what you mean about ignoring saves at Delilahs tower. (Though note, you cannot save once the final radio call starts.)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ja2ke posted:

I don't know quite what you mean about ignoring saves at Delilahs tower. (Though note, you cannot save once the final radio call starts.)

So you can copy e.g. 2_Day_33.sav over 2.sav for that terrible moment when you learn that there is a Day 34 that you never knew existed or for when you're too busy looking at the sunset to grab the cassette or whatever, but as best I can tell once you're at Delilah's tower, loading slot 2 ignores 2.sav completely.

I assumed that the game was loading from endgame.dat instead of 2.sav, but I got busy doing other things instead of Firewatch save scumming.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
And just like that, it's a movie.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

So you can copy e.g. 2_Day_33.sav over 2.sav for that terrible moment when you learn that there is a Day 34 that you never knew existed or for when you're too busy looking at the sunset to grab the cassette or whatever, but as best I can tell once you're at Delilah's tower, loading slot 2 ignores 2.sav completely.

I assumed that the game was loading from endgame.dat instead of 2.sav, but I got busy doing other things instead of Firewatch save scumming.

Weird, will investigate.

Really it's a development deal that will hopefully one day yield a movie. (Still exciting, though!)

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
The premise of firewatch is really really good so if they get the execution a little better in the movie it could be really great I think.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Talorat posted:

The premise of firewatch is really really good so if they get the execution a little better in the movie it could be really great I think.

Maybe the movie version can have the mystery turn out interesting this time :buddy:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Speaking of US Old Boy, Josh Brolin could pull off Henry.

On the other hand, this is the role Russell Crowe's beer gut has been preparing for.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I was going to say Robin Williams but then I remembered. :smith:

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
The guy who played Zangief in the Street Fighter movie.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Don't suppose Rich Sommer would wanna reprise his role?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Spent a few days to replay this on the PS4, collecting all of the tapes I could for the Audio Tour. It was a pretty bold idea, though a bit frustrating at times (Such as with the tape that is on a completely missable day that is only available on that day). It was an interesting idea for a commentary like this though and I'm glad it was tried out.

In replaying the game I had found an area I had never actually seen before- Ned's actual bunker. Somehow I had completely missed the hatch to the underground portion. I thought his "big hideout" had just been that pile of trash and the chair or whatever that's there, haha. It was a cool feeling, finding something new in an area I thought I knew most of the details of already.

Anyways, has anyone else tried the Audio Tour? Also, what about the freeroam mode we heard about a few months ago? Whatever happened to that?

ja2ke posted:

Ah yeah you found the one secret track - kiosk 13 on day 79.
Secret kiosk????!!!!????

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo I need to play this again.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
I think this game is on the list for a HDR update with the PS4Pro if you're looking for a reason to replay it.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

synthetik posted:

I think this game is on the list for a HDR update with the PS4Pro if you're looking for a reason to replay it.

Not HDR. We are updating PS4 to 10 bits per color channel instead of 8 across the board, so there is a bit more range and vibrancy in general in the next patch, but it's not "HDR color." (The games colors are all hand authored in standard range color and moving to HDR would be... weird and not desired in our specific case!) We are also running at 1440p with 4K UI if your Pro is plugged into a 4K TV, with slightly pumped up foliage density. (A Pro plugged into a 1080p TV will see even more dense foliage and some draw distance extensions.) Also the free roam mode (a very light weight but pleasant mode!) is making its way to PS4 with that update. More on it in the next day basically!

ja2ke fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 8, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Does this extend to the PC release? Will I notice it without a new monitor?

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Does this extend to the PC release? Will I notice it without a new monitor?

The color change is not on PC (and wouldn't require a new monitor anyway). I don't think the color range will be missed on PC. Things always just looked a tad muted on PS4 compared to PC but they don't anymore. PC release already has the new 4K UI (that got patched in last week in a steam update), so if you have a 1440p or 4K display, the UI will now be crisp and not pixelated for you.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

ja2ke posted:

Not HDR. We are updating PS4 to 10 bits per color channel instead of 8 across the board, so there is a bit more range and vibrancy in general in the next patch, but it's not "HDR color." (The games colors are all hand authored in standard range color and moving to HDR would be... weird and not desired in our specific case!) We are also running at 1440p with 4K UI if your Pro is plugged into a 4K TV, with slightly pumped up foliage density. (A Pro plugged into a 1080p TV will see even more dense foliage and some draw distance extensions.) Also the free roam mode (a very light weight but pleasant mode!) is making its way to PS4 with that update. More on it in the next day basically!

Yep, I screwed that up. Sorry for the misinformation!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So the Freeroam Mode is now available!

And uh, something was found within in the new update. :tinfoil:

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
I'm reinstalling right now to play around with it. Does this include the commentary? Also this is pretty great http://www.polygon.com/2016/2/8/10940370/firewatch-photos-hey-there-delilah

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
am I going to get any new internet potatoes by paying attention to this

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

It's just Frog Fractions 2

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

MeatloafCat posted:

I'm reinstalling right now to play around with it. Does this include the commentary? Also this is pretty great http://www.polygon.com/2016/2/8/10940370/firewatch-photos-hey-there-delilah

Yep! Free roam and commentary (and photo developing, if you're on PC) are all in the "special features" menu on the main menu.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

It's just Frog Fractions 2

Oh, it actually is just Frog Fractions 2.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Hey sorry if this is too much of a plug, but I wanted to let you guys know that we finally got the Firewatch vinyl soundtracks back from manufacturing and they're up for sale in the store. I'm pretty excited about these!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I still loving love that soundtrack cover.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is it worth getting? Do the tracks flow into each other in any way? It looks cool but I don't know if it would be worth it to put it on the record player and listen all the way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Is it worth getting? Do the tracks flow into each other in any way? It looks cool but I don't know if it would be worth it to put it on the record player and listen all the way through.

It's literally the OST we sell digitally at Bandcamp. I still like listening to it but I'm not going to try and speak for anyone else's tastes.

• Locked thread