Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

my dad posted:

If you're a snake with a hammer, extra fighting means you'll sometimes suddenly bite people, which is a good thing. If you're a human with a sword, extra fighting means you'll sometimes suddenly bit people, which is a bad thing. :v:
My werewolf is armed with two mauls and his first instinct was to bite his first target. Now I know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godna
Feb 4, 2013

ZeeToo posted:

When we got assigned teams, my first thought was to get in contact with you all and actually try to plan something.
Then I saw Face and his wooden sword and realized there was no way to improve on perfection, so just let it sit.
If you want to be more effective, yeah, get any sort of metal sword and, at least in my experience, any amount of weapon skill outweighs any amount of fighting. The great/terrible thing about DF is it's hard to know for sure.

Definitely noted...and hey the wooden sword totally broke the Tiger's arm and deprived him of a shield!...that was ultimately pointless.

I figured a wooden weapon was better then no weapon.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Godna posted:

As a veteran of adventure mode using wooden weapons, I have to say that a wooden weapon is actually worse than no weapon until your weapon skill is about 10-20 levels past legendary. You are essentially hitting people with a light club, except without the benefit of armour bypass that maces and hammers bring to the table.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

Godna posted:

Definitely noted...and hey the wooden sword totally broke the Tiger's arm and deprived him of a shield!...that was ultimately pointless.

Would yo rather go to fight with a wiffle bat or your fists?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it worked for rurouni kenshion. all of you shut up.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If there was a way to have wooden swords as a separate sword skill using weapon in the arena that was blunt by design, I'd genuinely use it as a secondary (effectively) parry-only weapon on a sword user.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Well, on the plus side, I guess the "stay alive to get beat on" part of the plan worked. Not so much the "bite poo poo" part.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

my dad posted:

If there was a way to have wooden swords as a separate sword skill using weapon in the arena that was blunt by design, I'd genuinely use it as a secondary (effectively) parry-only weapon on a sword user.
Can't you do that with bows? Things might have changed, but I think at one point a one-hand-wielded bow with no arrows did blunt damage from sword skill. I had a build I was musing on that was sword/bow, no arrows, pump sword skill.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Revenant Threshold posted:

Can't you do that with bows? Things might have changed, but I think at one point a one-hand-wielded bow with no arrows did blunt damage from sword skill. I had a build I was musing on that was sword/bow, no arrows, pump sword skill.

Huh. That's not actually a bad idea. It's even really cheap, and a copper one can work like an emergency melee weapon in case something goes wrong with the actual sword. I'll test it out in a bit.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

my dad posted:

Huh. That's not actually a bad idea. It's even really cheap, and a copper one can work like an emergency melee weapon in case something goes wrong with the actual sword. I'll test it out in a bit.

Don't test. Just wait till next tournament and go all in on the build.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013

Bene Elim posted:

Would yo rather go to fight with a wiffle bat or your fists?

Wiffle Bat. :D

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

my dad posted:

My original bow-bold build was to start a match with a Platinum/Silver Bow and 2-3 arrows. Enough to shoot the enemy as they approach you, then bludgeon them to death when they're in your face. If this wasn't a team-fight, this would be exactly what I would be using.

Alternatively, a Soldier Ant Woman with a Bow, Sword, and Shield using effectively the same strategy as above, only this time you can combine slashing and blunt damage together after getting a few early hits in. I would try this but, well, Kobolds.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Krysmphoenix posted:

My original bow-bold build was to start a match with a Platinum/Silver Bow and 2-3 arrows. Enough to shoot the enemy as they approach you, then bludgeon them to death when they're in your face. If this wasn't a team-fight, this would be exactly what I would be using.

Alternatively, a Soldier Ant Woman with a Bow, Sword, and Shield using effectively the same strategy as above, only this time you can combine slashing and blunt damage together after getting a few early hits in. I would try this but, well, Kobolds.

The advantage of a blunt sword is in not using it in combat. :v:

I love me some dual wielding, but after Urist McTantrum, I realized the problem that fighters use parry weapons for things other than parrying. Due to how blunt weapons are treated by the AI, a parrying bow wouldn't be a problem since you would almost never try to hit anything with it until you lose your sword arm, at which point you still have a not-completely useless weapon you can at least parry and hurt small or downed fighters with.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Krysmphoenix posted:

Where were you 4 days ago with this brilliant idea?

Please sign this petition to change my build.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Spermy Smurf posted:

Where were you 4 days ago with this brilliant idea?

Came up with it on IRC a year or two ago. And of course I'm not going to announce my wacky build ideas when people are still making theirs! I could be making this wacky idea that is horribly doomed to fail.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Fight ran, writeup in progress. Won't be posted for a few hours because I have to dash off. Expect it around 9-10 EST

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Let's meet the teams, folks!

Subterranean Animists are the home team today and on the left! They are...

Baldwin, a Dwarf with an iron spear and a mix of iron and copper for armor, with a wooden shield!
Braun Strowman, the Antwoman with three copper swords, and a copper shirt! Iron rounds out her ensemble.
Dusseldorf, another Dwarf who wields an iron spear and wooden shield, and some leather gauntlets! And nothing else!
And finally, Qwarf, the final Dwarf for the team. He wields another iron spear, making three for the group, and a collection of iron on his upper body, leaving the rest exposed. A bold move!

The away team is Go Big and/or Go Home! They await on the right, beneath the protective wall from the debris being thrown at them.

3 Wolf Moon Shirt is a Werewolf and stands at the front, wielding an iron sword the size of most of his opponents! He wears a full suit of leather to compliment it.
Slam Whale Willy is the other Werewolf upon the team! He's wielding a great silver mace and shield, and nothing else.
Snowshank Redemption is the team's resident Yeti, he holds a...copper dagger, which is admittedly a greatsword to the enemy team. He wears a shirt of iron to protect his vitals.
And finally, Tyler Durden is Hobbes is the team's Tigerman, who wears and wields nothing but a piece of leather armor!

The fighters start on the opposite sides, of course, and then the bell is rung! They all rush forward to meet in the center of the arena, where a melee occurs!

Baldwin starts the fight in a precarious position! The two werewolves both leap at him, and he gets struck in the chest by Slam's silver mace, bruising the chest and heart! Not an auspicious start for the home team!

The brawl separates a bit after that, letting Baldwin catch his breath, protected by Braun. She slaps at Shirt with one of her blades, keeping him at bay but causing no damage.

But, while that's happening, Qwarf wants blood! He stabs Hobbes in the paw, tearing through the skin while Hobbes is trying to attack Dusseldorf!

Dusseldorf retaliates, stabbing Hobbes in the hand with his iron spear, fracturing the bone and sending the massive tigerman to the floor in pain!

Further up, Braun is proving to be the capable duelist indeed. She deflects a blow from Shirt and quickly counters, stabbing him in the thigh and proning him! An artery has been opened and tendons torn by the attack! Shirt may not be able to stand!

Qwarf decides that he just isn't done and stabs Tyler in the head, tearing the muscle and fracturing the skull! A tendon has been torn, but he's somehow still standing!

Dusseldorf and Baldwin take turns going at Snowshank, both stabbing him in the lower body! One hits him in the left leg, the other the right foot - and that's enough to bring the dagger wielding beast down to the floor in pain!

Dusseldorf turns away from the downed yeti, immediately stabbing Shirt in the arm, fracturing the bone and tearing a tendon! The wolf has no choice but to give into pain.

And then, Qwarf gets the first fatality of the match, impaling Snowshank through the head and striking him down!

A melee takes place here, Dusseldorf and Braun going at Shirt until they manage to crush his skull, striking him down as well!

The home team has a 2-0 advantage, and the only damage right now is a bruised heart on Baldwin! But, he'w wisely been staying out of things for the past bit.

Scratch that, Dusseldorf is going on a rampage! He swipes his spear at Shirt and his head is cloven asunder, bringing the score to 3-0! Willy is in a bad place here, and the wolf knows it!

Willy tries to play a game of keepaway for a while, but with his team down and the entire enemy team up, it's only a matter of time. Baldwin rejoins the fight and strikes the killing blow, leaving Subterranean Animists the winners, with no casualties!

Combat Log!

so like, if any commissioner has a method of editing the images that's faster than manually cropping each, that'd be greeeeeat

also I am by no means an expert on this, despite the help I received, so feedback is entirely welcome!

Galick fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 23, 2015

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
Wow...spears. They seem to be the weapon of kings here.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Galick posted:

so like, if any commissioner has a method of editing the images that's faster than manually cropping each, that'd be greeeeeat
also I am by no means an expert on this, despite the help I received, so feedback is entirely welcome!

Infranview has a batch edit thingie. As long as the arena's in the same spot in every picture, you can auto-crop each one -- and leave the originals intact if you want!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aw man I was sure a naked strangler with a knife was the way to go. At least he got a lot of stabs in.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Godna posted:

Spears are pretty good, but it pays to have a good spread of damage types in the team, in my experience.

Edit: It helps the enemy only had like leather armor, not that spears are any sort of slouch when it comes to armor piercing.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Godna posted:

No poo poo. That entire team. Zeetoo. My dad. There were more but on my phone. Screw looking it up.

What did you guys figure out about spears?

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Day 35: Animists still think I am a spear-wielding dwarf. Have become a valued member of their sports team. The plan proceeds smoothly. Soon, everything will fall into place... General Grievous.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Spermy Smurf posted:

No poo poo. That entire team. Zeetoo. My dad. There were more but on my phone. Screw looking it up.

my dad posted:

Pierci Nope Nope Nope Nope I am not even gonna try to explain that poo poo

Whatever they found... it left them... changed.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I was going to go with an iron spear wielding dwarf but sacrifices had to be made for my team :v:

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Holy poo poo, I bagged a yeti! :allears: Good job, team!

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

my dad posted:

This is simplicity itself if you're not hung up on the terminology. It's a two-minute raw rewrite to add a main gauche or whatever that's labeled "sword, does blunt damage".

Spermy Smurf posted:

I've used spears primarily for literally years at this point. Thanks for catching up. :smuggo:

Really, it's just that I've found it's a good weapon that, at least until now, wasn't used as much as I thought it should be. Nothing deep. I haven't had time to be proper tryhard with my build this tournament.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ZeeToo posted:

This is simplicity itself if you're not hung up on the terminology. It's a two-minute raw rewrite to add a main gauche or whatever that's labeled "sword, does blunt damage".

I meant in the tournament. I know how to mod DF files - who doesn't like playing a round of adventure mode as a 4-armed slade colossus? :v:

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Well that didn't go so well. At least I did some damage and ran away long enough to keep me alive until the end...

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I figured hey, if Copper Daggers were kinda OP in the hands of stronger creatures, a Yeti with one could be unstoppable...

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

A good poster posted:

I figured hey, if Copper Daggers were kinda OP in the hands of stronger creatures, a Yeti with one could be unstoppable...

Wasn't this discovered as true in the last test session and therefore altered in some way?

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Man, I sucked so hard I think I brought the whole team down...

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Thanks for commissionering, Galick! It is a nonzero amount of work.

My primary request from that write-up would be to name the manager of each fighter as well as the fighter itself. It always adds extra interest to a fight when you're rooting for a friend Bad Munki to lose.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Maugrim posted:

My primary request from that write-up would be to name the manager of each fighter as well as the fighter itself. It always adds extra interest to a fight when you're rooting for a friend Bad Munki to lose.

I copy/paste from the site to my notepad doc so I don't have to type the fighter names/managers. Just a little blurb about their weapons/armor is all. Great idea, I didn't even notice it was missing.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren:Round 1, new fight:siren:

Lineup for Two Chicks with Dicks (Home Team)
Suck & gently caress Pighead is a female Goblin fighter managed by Dirty Frank. A silver hammer and gratuitous nudity are the weapons of choice.
Bo is a male Human fighter managed by Haystack. Sword, shield, and skill on this one.
Stumpy is a female Dwarf fighter managed by Mygna. Iron axe, loads of skill here.
Richard Kyanka is a male Dark Gnome fighter managed by Lorrdernie. A dagger and even more skill on this fighter. I sense a theme with this team, and it looks deadly on paper.

Lineup for Worse Munki
Experiment Twenty-Two is a female Tigerman fighter managed by fallingdownjoe. Bedecked in copper with an iron shirt, and carrying a sword...
Strangler Than Fiction is a female Strangler fighter managed by Tunicate. Our past champion who I will probably forget to give a gold something to when I build the fighters... The gladiator is layered in armor and otherwise unarmed.
SRIRACHA Fartstorm RETURNS is a male Elf fighter managed by Pittsburgh Lambic. A large silver hammer rests easily in his arms.
Chaz Steadyfist is a male Werewolf fighter managed by Segway Rave. A huge halberd wielded in one hand, a shield, and a bit of light armor.

The gladiators line up. This fight is great since there is only one of each race. No doubles or triples, so keeping track of who is who is simple.

Chaz casually blocks a blow from Stumpy and Richard strikes from the side. His bronze dagger slides deep into Chaz's arm, fracturing bones, cutting tendons, and causing immense pain. Chaz drops like a rock. Meanwhile on the other team Suck n' gently caress gets bitten by Strangler and then immediately stabbed in the left leg by Experiment 22. Her leg is fractured, nerves and tendons cut, and she falls to the floor.

Stumpy comes to the rescue of Suck n' gently caress when she goes down to Experiment 22's powerful bite. Stumpy casually swipes and Experiment 22's right paw goes flying. Bo stabs Strangler in the arm, then again in the chest through his armor, but Strangler bites him right on the face and Bo passes out from the pain.

3 fighters are on the ground unconscious, and 3 fighters get killed immediately. Fartstorm waits until Stumpy chops off Experiment 22's hand before he leans in and silences Suck n' gently caress forever. Fartstorm turns around and smashes Bo's head to paste a moment later. Richard, the deadly dark gnome, casually stabs Chaz Steadyfist in the head. The werewolf is no more.

Stumpy chops into Experiment 22's leg again and the tigerman finally passes out. Fartstorm moves to defend her teammate and smashes Stumpy mercilessly from behind. Strangler leaps and bites Richard but only manages to grab his right foot with his teeth. Richard stabs downward a couple times in quick succession and Strangler passes out from pain.

This is technically a victory for Fartstorm. He managed to stop Stumpy from killing his teammate. He still died, but it technically counts. Stumpy is getting the piss beat out of her by Fartstorm, and then Fartstorm is forced to dodge south.

Fartstorm finds a new opponent and smashes the crap out of this one too.

Richard stands up after being taken by surprise and then his superior skill begins to show. Stumpy sees that Richard has the situation well in hand, so she begins to smash away at the downed Strangler's head.

Richard is skilled, and he shows it by surgically stabbing Fartstorm over and over. Fartstorm can't connect with the small fighter.

The last two fighters for Worse Munki are struck down.

The victors.

Winners: Chicks with Dicks with a 4-2 victory!

Combat Log

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 23, 2015

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Experiment 22's viscous bite

I don't know what this means but it sounds really gross.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Should we be concerned that the home team has won every single match so far?

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

We won! My fighter did nothing at all but we still won! Um, well done guys.

Suck it munki

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

I don't know what this means but it sounds really gross.

I think you misread that. :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

haha reading the logs, it took Sriracha Fartstorm 4 unhindered shots to my unprotected head with his silver warhammer to get the kill, I think maybe the old silver warhammer isn't the best weapon.