Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Hihohe posted:

Armok is the god of blood and conflict.

He demands it from the world he has created.

With but a thought Armok could wipe this world from existence.

The lesser gods know this. The mortal races know this.

His thirst must be quenched to keep this world safe.

The gods have gathered their champions. The mortals are prepared to sacrifice themselves in the arena.

The altar of Armok awaits...

Excellent work! We now have a new image to introduce the first post. Also, I'll host this image if you don't mind (since imgur images seem to have a half-life of just four or five years, and I'd like to keep using this if you don't mind)

If anyone else would like to contribute artwork, I'll put it on the first page too! Post #4 is reserved for any and all fanart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren:Round 2, Fight something:siren:

Lineup for A Tarantino Film (Home Team)
Uma Thurman is a female Human fighter managed by AnoHito. Sword, and a hosed up face are her weapons. Seriously, she looks weird, right? It's not just me?
Urist McLee is a male Dwarf fighter managed by Fuubi. Layered in copper and barely containing fists of fury.
Snarls Barkley is a female Werewolf fighter managed by Bene Elim. Bronze pike, oak shield, no armor.
Solomon Rabinowitz is a male Serpent Man fighter managed by Added Space. Steel armor, tank.

Lineup for Worker Cooperative
Combat Liberalism is a female Gremlin fighter managed by Jack the Lad. Copper dagger, skillz.
Unthrottle the Axolotl is a female Kobold fighter managed by Zwingley. Copper Scourge, no armor.
Jameson the Unruly is a male Human fighter managed by alvie. Huge iron sword, copper armor.
Albrik the Insignificant is a male Kobold fighter managed by Tiler Kiwi. Iron battleaxe, very minimal armor.

Combat Liberalism lands the first blow by cutting deep into Uma Thurman's arm. The movie star shrugs off the blow and hacks off the tiny gremlin's left leg at the thigh.

Despite missing a leg, Combat Liberalism reaches up and thrusts his dagger into Uma's chest. Her heart is torn in two! Most people would die, but Uma just passes out instead.

Jameson the Unruly slams his sword into the snakeman Solomon's chest, but is unable to penetrate armor. It manages to bruise the snake's lungs though. Snarls Barkley sends Jameson the Unruly to the floor with a well-placed pike stab to the foot in retaliation. Albrik the Insignificant avenges his teammate by chopping off the werewolf's right arm. Snarls Barkley drops the pike! A second hack puts his axe into the werewolfs chest.

Urist McLee finally manages to connect with the prone Jameson and bruises his guts. Jameson vomits uncontrollably. Albrik the Insignificant is bored of hacking at the downed werewolf, so he hacks Urist McLee's arm deeply. Blood shoots across the floor as an artery is severed. At this time Solomon finally comes back in to the fray and sinks his teeth into the punching bag that used to be Jameson. Before Jameson becomes paralyzed he slashes Snarls Barkley's leg.

Albrik is anything but insignificant in this fight. He chops off Urist McLee's left foot with another swing. Solomon the snake shakes Jameson around by the head, the paralyzed human throws up on himself and passes out from the pain. Combat Liberalism cannot get his dagger through Uma Thurman's skull and he bleeds out before he can finish the job.

Urist McLee loses a hand to Albrik the Insignificant. Uma Thurman bleeds to death moments later.

Snarls and Urist are struck down with two slashes of Albrik the Insignificant's axe.

Right about now I forgot the snakeman Solomon was still alive. I wrote all this up and was like "where is the 4th dead person?" So 30 minutes after I 'finished' the fight I have to unpause it and run the rest. Ugh.

Hang on, redoing the gamelog.txt....

Okay, I'm back!

So it's Solomon against an unconscious Jameson and two deadly kobolds: Albrik and Unthrottle.

Solomon darts back and forth between the two, but is unable to get ahold of either of the small kobolds.

Unthrottle lashes the snakeman over and over, Albrik smashes his head over and over... but the steel armor proves impenetrable.

And then... Albrik slams his axe into the snakemans throat but the steel shirt deflects it. He winds up and sends his axe into Solomons stomach, and snake-guts spill across the floor.

45 minutes later Solomon bleeds to death.

Winners: Worker Cooperative
Kills:
Combat Liberalism: 1
Albrik: 3

Combat Log

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Good work, Kobold companions!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Yep, expected winner. I don't know why people thought A Tarantino Film would win, just because they're bigger and home team? Worker Cooperative made a very strong showing first round despite losing. A Tarantino Film did not, and they even went against Team Laser Explosion, who are worse than The Plump Helmets.

edit: If anyone wants some amount of free money before round 3, Go big and/or go home will win against Lightly Whipped.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 30, 2015

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

jon joe posted:

Yep, expected winner. I don't know why people thought A Tarantino Film would win, just because they're bigger and home team? Worker Cooperative made a very strong showing first round despite losing. A Tarantino Film did not, and they even went against Team Laser Explosion, who are worse than The Plump Helmets.
Exactly. I really should have placed a bigger bet because this one really paid out.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

jon joe posted:

edit: If anyone wants some amount of free money before round 3, Go big and/or go home will win against Lightly Whipped.

I'm not even sure what I was thinking betting on A Tarantino Film in retrospect, yes. (Also, literally the only people who bet on Plump Helmets last fight were members of Plump Helmets :( )

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

jon joe posted:

People are probably betting on Bene Elim

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Bene Elim's fighter is not bad, Uma's player gambled by going for early steel and so far the gamble hasn't paid off, Solomon is the weak start of a very good build, but is also a gamble, since he needs teammates who can cover for him, and the dwarf is... Yeah...

Sorry about being slow with the promised weapons post, something came up IRL a few days ago which delayed me a bit, I'll probably make it fairly soon.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Splode posted:

People are probably betting on Bene Elim

Probably that.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Don't think, just bet.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

goatface posted:

Don't think, just bet.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

jon joe posted:

Go big and/or go home will win against Lightly Whipped.

drat straight. We're already dead.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

It is more like the idea of fan art than actual fan art.

It is pretty bad is what I am saying.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Round Two, Fight Eight :siren:

To the left, Go big and/or go home can't go home because they're already home:
Snowshank Redemption (A good poster) the yeti has iron mail and a copper dagger.
Tyler Durden is Hobbes (Iunnrais) the tigerman has a leather gi and nothing else.
3 Wolf Moon Shirt (iLonie) the werewolf has an iron sword and leather armor.
Slam Whale Willy (potatomanjack) the werewolf has mace and buckler

On the right, the themed team Lightly Whipped!
Ghost-trees (Ghostwoods) is a molemarian with silver whip, buckler, and leather armor.
Trump's Viscous Discharge (goatface) is a minotaur who has dropped her whip since last fight.
Grimmik (FillInTheBlank) is a gremlin with a steel helmet and an iron whip.
Jupis Tooki McGannel (GreyPowerVan) is a strangler with a shield and a silver whip.

Trump rushes way out in front, and gets herself stabbed in the hand for her trouble, courtesy of Moon Shirt. Grimmik is sent flying by Willy's silver mace. Redemption's dagger smashes the bone of Ghost-trees's hand, making the mole drop his whip. Moon Shirt tries to follow up, but his blow is a glancing one. The flying Grimmik bounces off the ground, his helmet the only thing keeping his brains from literally smearing the ground.

The mole comes apart further; Redemption cuts a foot off. Moon Shirt stabs Trump again, repeatedly. Willy smashes in one of Jupis's hands. This, uh, is all going one way, folks. Lightly Whipped have yet to make a single telling blow.

Moon Shirt stabs Trump one last time, shredding the brain. One down.

Oh, hey, there's Ghost-trees's foot again. Anyway, Willy keeps beating on Jupis. The strangler falls over.

Lightly Whipped are in retreat. In the south, Willy caves in Jupis's brain. Up north, the molemarian is seriously hurt but still roughly functional save for his loss of weapon, while Grimmik is busy still utterly freaking out. These turn out to be roughly comparable strategies. Redemption removes Ghost-trees's shield arm, and Hobbes punches Grimmik in the guts, then stumbles into Redemption and falls over. Smooth, Hobbes.

A bite from Redemption knocks over Ghost-trees, who is rapidly running out of limbs. Moon Shirt chopping another foot off doesn't help things. The werewolf stabs Ghost-trees in heart and brain both, and the molemarian is put down.

Can Grimmik manage a come-from-behind victory and defeat all four of the big guys?

Probably not.

Moon Shirt deals the killing blow as the gremlin bleeds out.

That was not a fight. That was an execution.

That was all the injuries Go big and/or go home sustained.

Final Score
Go big and/or go home: 4
Lightly Whipped: 0

Kills
3 Wolf Moon Shirt: 3
Slam Whale Willy: 1

Combat Log

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 31, 2015

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Slaughtered.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
1) Are we voting now on whether or not to remove Home Team Advantage?

2) Guaranteed winners this round: The Plump Helmets, Subterranean Animists. If you bet against them, you're throwing your money away.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

jon joe posted:

1) Are we voting now on whether or not to remove Home Team Advantage?

Jazzimus Prime posted:

It's still only a sample size of 14, but the home team has won at a 78% clip. That's not as bad as it was, but I was expecting the percentage to be in the 60s going into this, and I didn't have a chance to run enough tests to verify.

After the third round, the thread can hold a vote on whether to keep home field for the interdivisional matches (rounds 4 through 15), or whether to have them all moved to a neutral site.

The final three rounds of the season are all intradivisional again, and will feature all of the visiting teams from the first three rounds hosting the teams that they visited in the first three rounds, for the sake of balance and fairness.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ah, thanks!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Is it the two best teams from each division that advance to the playoffs, like last time iirc, or is it determined some other way?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ramc posted:

Is it the two best teams from each division that advance to the playoffs, like last time iirc, or is it determined some other way?

Matches are pre-determined. http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_schedule.php?9

Next rounds are all planned.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

jon joe posted:

Matches are pre-determined. http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_schedule.php?9

Next rounds are all planned.

Ah, investing points in your "completely missing the point" skill, I see. :v:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

Ah, investing points in your "completely missing the point" skill, I see. :v:

Yes, should have invested them in reading comprehension instead.

edit: As part of my horrible reading ability I seem to have mistakenly placed a lot of money on Spooky Scary Skeletons, everyone should bet on Hell's Dentists to relieve me of my cash, certainly not so I can capture all of everyone's poor pennies.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 31, 2015

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

ZeeToo posted:

Lightly Whipped: 0

I think we're conclusively proving that whips and scourges are somewhat overpriced :)

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

jon joe posted:

2) Guaranteed winners this round: The Plump Helmets, Subterranean Animists. If you bet against them, you're throwing your money away.

No you're not we're actually terrible I hear one of them isn't even a dwarf.

Such scandal can only mean doom and gloom for the team.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Frozen_flame posted:

No you're not we're actually terrible I hear one of them isn't even a dwarf.

Such scandal can only mean doom and gloom for the team.

This whole time I've been visualizing your fighter with a crude beard taped to her mandibles. It is very convincing.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

It is good that the team is so accepting of my dwarf's oddities. The extra arms are a birth mark.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Frozen_flame posted:

It is good that the team is so accepting of my dwarf's oddities. The extra arms are a birth mark.

Dwants.

https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?t=8298

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Why am I missing so many bites? I wasn't missing this much in trials I did.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Added Space posted:

Why am I missing so many bites? I wasn't missing this much in trials I did.

How much dodging skill did you give your test dummies?

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Ghostwoods posted:

I think we're conclusively proving that whips and scourges are somewhat overpriced :)

We just need a montage.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Ghostwoods posted:

I think it might be because they cause a lot of pain and pain can be super disabling? I guess we can just wait for the Mydad weapons effort post.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

quote:

Slam Whale Willy (Go big) bashes Grimmik (Lightly Whipped) in the upper body with his silver mace, bruising the muscle and bruising the liver!
Grimmik (Lightly Whipped) is propelled away by the force of the blow!

Tyler Durden is Hobbes (Go big) punches Trump's Viscous Discharge (Lightly Whipped) in the left lower leg with his left hand, bruising the muscle!
Jupis Tooki McGannel (Lightly Whipped) lashes Slam Whale Willy (Go big) in the right upper arm with his silver whip, bruising the muscle!
Snowshank Redemption (Go big) stabs Ghost-trees (Lightly Whipped) in the right hand with his large copper dagger, fracturing the bone through the large cow leather right glove!
A ligament has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
Ghost-trees (Lightly Whipped) loses hold of the silver whip.
3 Wolf Moon Shirt (Go big) stabs Ghost-trees (Lightly Whipped) in the right rear foot with his iron two-handed sword, tearing apart the skin!
Tyler Durden is Hobbes (Go big) punches Trump's Viscous Discharge (Lightly Whipped) in the head with his right hand, bruising the muscle!
Trump's Viscous Discharge (Lightly Whipped) gores Tyler Durden is Hobbes (Go big) in the right hand with her left horn, bruising the muscle!
Ghost-trees (Lightly Whipped) strikes at Snowshank Redemption (Go big) but the shot is easily deflected by the large copper dagger!
Grimmik (Lightly Whipped)'s head skids along the ground, but it is deflected by Grimmik (Lightly Whipped)'s small steel helm!
Snowshank Redemption (Go big) slashes Ghost-trees (Lightly Whipped) in the left front foot with his large copper dagger and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Trump's Viscous Discharge (Lightly Whipped): How fleeting life is... This does not scare me.
3 Wolf Moon Shirt (Go big) attacks Ghost-trees (Lightly Whipped) but He jumps away!
Ghost-trees (Lightly Whipped) misses Snowshank Redemption (Go big)!
Trump's Viscous Discharge (Lightly Whipped) attacks Tyler Durden is Hobbes (Go big) but He jumps away!
Snowshank Redemption (Go big) misses Ghost-trees (Lightly Whipped)!
Grimmik (Lightly Whipped) slams into an obstacle!

:allears:

A full 16 rounds of combat happened while he was airborne

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Ramc posted:

I think it might be because they cause a lot of pain and pain can be super disabling? I guess we can just wait for the Mydad weapons effort post.

Whips used to be overpowered, breaking bones and such.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
We'll start the third round on Monday morning, to give everyone a chance to place bets, and maybe to spend their participation points as well if they wish.

Ramc posted:

This is actually a very good question, and I think I failed to address this in the OP.

I was thinking that we would have a three-round, eight-team playoff. The four division champions will all qualify for the playoff. But after that, I was thinking that the four best records overall that didn't finish in first place would qualify for the remaining spots. It didn't make sense to do it this way in the past, since teams would only fight teams in their own division before this tournament. However, since every team fights every other team at least once in this tournament, it's possible that one really strong division might have two (or even three) other teams that beat up on all the other divisions and end up with a good record, and those teams shouldn't be penalized for being in a tougher division if they do well. So I think it would make sense to qualify the four teams with the best non-divisional-champion records.

Actually, we should probably have a vote on it.

:siren: All four division champions will qualify for the playoffs. How should the remaining four playoff spots be determined? :siren:

A) The four non-divisional-champions with the best overall records

B) All four second-place teams, regardless of overall record

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I don't have any stake in the tournament, but I'll vote anyway. I think A would be the most fair.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Jazzimus Prime posted:

:siren: All four division champions will qualify for the playoffs. How should the remaining four playoff spots be determined? :siren:

A) The four non-divisional-champions with the best overall records

B) All four second-place teams, regardless of overall record

C) The four teams with the best K-D difference score, besides the four division champions. Team A might have more wins than Team B, but I think if Team B is consistently more lethal, they are a 'better' team in terms of consistency - victories less based on luck and more based on MURDER POWER. Plus, isn't it always good to encourage more carnage? Bonus: Because the losing team always gets 4 deaths and the winning team always gets 4 kills, the overall victors should still be privileged.

edit: clarification I mean best difference between kills and deaths, not kill/death ratio.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 1, 2015

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

B - fairness? in MY Fighting League?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

jon joe posted:

C) The four teams with the best K/D score, besides the four division champions. Team A might have more wins than Team B, but I think if Team B is consistently more lethal, they are a 'better' team in terms of consistency - victories less based on luck and more based on MURDER POWER. Plus, isn't it always good to encourage more carnage? Bonus: Because the losing team always gets 4 deaths and the winning team always gets 4 kills, the overall victors should still be privileged.

D) Teams composed of the individual gladiators with the highest K/D ratios.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

D) Teams composed of the individual gladiators with the highest K/D ratios.

Not sure if that's a serious suggestion or not - it sounds hilarious - the only reason I have a problem with it is because it warps builds to encourage individual murder ability at the cost of team composition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

jon joe posted:

Not sure if that's a serious suggestion or not - it sounds hilarious - the only reason I have a problem with it is because it warps builds to encourage individual murder ability at the cost of team composition.

We'd end up with the #1 teams facing the all-stars of the rest of the gladiators.

A true test of individualism vs communism.