Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

my dad posted:

What might that be?

Well, not very 'side'. Arena, just with new and different things. Like throwing axes and javelins. Not going to do too much with it at least during this season, but I'm trying to make things as new and different as possible without throwing the balance completely out the window.

Cythereal posted:

Survival gauntlet, maybe? Folks create their gladiators which are then pitted against creatures and monsters of escalating danger in the arena. Say, round one is a war dog that each gladiator must face in the arena. Those who survive get more points and go on to face something more dangerous in round two.

That's an interesting thought, but a bit more ambitious than I was, so far!

Coward posted:

What if the antwoman was packing two crossbows? Does she fire at a faster rate, or is the second crossbow used for parrying (the AI picks a crossbow to use every time one is reloaded)?

Don't think so. I don't think they reliably use the second stack, either. Please feel free to try it and let me know, though.

jon joe posted:

What if you gave her a ranged weapon but absolutely 0 ranged skills? Would she limit her bow use to just safe potshots then?

She'd just keep shooting. "use weapon" overwhelms "what are my skills", and the AI knows that bows and crossbows are used by shooting, and beating someone with the launcher is a last resort, no matter how skilled you might be at that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ZeeToo posted:

That's an interesting thought, but a bit more ambitious than I was, so far!

Depending on how exactly the programs work, it might not even be that hard if the data for such creatures and monsters in DF itself can be transposed.

Another way to do it would be to simply set a point budget and not add to it as the rounds go on. The arena beasts steadily escalate in threat each round until all gladiators are dead. The gladiator who survives the most rounds wins, and in the event of a tie do something like bring in a colossus and rank by the number of rounds against it the gladiators last or mob them with unarmed naked dwarves and rank by kills.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's not modding DF that's the problem. That's the easy part, actually.
The hard part is that Jazz has to be able to implement any change in a way that can be interacted with on his website, so stuff has to be done in such a way that he's not overwhelmed.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Round Three, Fight One :siren:

This fight was Plump Helmets at home vs A Tarantino Film visiting.

Sorry, folks, but I lost my write up and screenshots in a computer crash. I did save the combat log, though, so:

Final Score
A Tarantino Film: 4
Plump Helmets: 1

Kills
Uma Thurman: 2
Solomon Rabinowitz: 1
Urist McLee: 1
Josie the Bludgeonatrix: 1

Combat Log

Sorry, folks. Couldn't resist. But I wasn't going to start with a game with that high of betting totals.
For real:
:siren: Round Three, Fight One :siren:

To the left, our home team, A furry, a farmer, and two cows, who have lost on the road but are finally back where they belong. This may be the edge they need.
Goku (Galick) the tigerman has a silver warhammer and mixed leather and copper armor.
Dontellim Pike (John Charity Spring) has an iron pike and a mishmash of armor to supplement basic humanity.
Min/Maxotaur (Anchors) the minotaur has a shield, copper armor, and a broad education.
Rob Ford (Tirius) the minotaur has a hammer, a shield and iron and copper armor.

On the right, the visitors. The Petting Zoo have lost at home before, and this is their first fight on the road. Still, they're not to be underestimated; this is a team that has performed come-from-behind miracles as recently as last round.
Antwoman (Spermy Smurf) is a soldier antwoman with daggers of various metals in every hand.
A Lost Cowman (Locomotive Breath) is a minotaur with a weird assortment of armor and his martial arts for damage.
Simon Belmole (Ablative) is a molemarian with a copper scourge and some copper armor.
Stephen Harper (ChickenWing) is a serpent with hammer and shield.

Min/Max is the fastest fighter by a good half a step. Cowman is the first up to bat to face her. She swings the buckler around, and nails him in the gut with the edge. Cowman fights back nasuea and tries a counter-punch, but copper proves too much for him to handle. Pike attacks from the shadows, but leather proves enough to stop his iron-tipped pike. The first stab, at least. The second nails Cowman's foot to the floor. Cowman is definitely the punching bag so far. Even Goku gets a shot in.

Meanwhile, Goku gets stabbed in the arm by Antwoman, and retaliates by hammering her arm. She loses one dagger. Min/Max and Rob Ford both run at Simon, who wriggles out of the way so the two behemoths slam into each other, instead. Antwoman stabs Goku again, but this time she targets a foot, and the tiger man falls over.

The fight has become a series of duels. Antwoman vs Goku, which she's probably winning. Pike vs Cowman, with the human finding Cowman playing "this little piggy" on his feet. Min/Max vs Stephen, with the serpent smashing bones through armor, but the minotaur tackling for stunning advantage. Rob Ford vs Simon is... going nowhere fast.

The first duel concludes. Pike puts a decisive thrust in to Cowman's head. Massive brain trauma kills the minotaur instantly. Antwoman is still almost holding her own, but Goku is a burly target, even without Pike joining in the fray.

It's not all one way, though. Simon lashes Rob Ford in the arm, and the hit shatters the minotaur's shield arm. He passes out from pain. Antwoman has put Goku in such a state, as well, and is focusing what remains of her weapon limbs on Pike.

She did it. She actually did it. Antwoman stabs a dagger at Pike so hard that he gives in to pain, as well. Now, if she can deal the finishing blow to her two foes, and Simon can do the same to Rob Ford, The Petting Zoo could win. Of course, if they don't do it in a timely manner, then Min/Max might well finish off Stephen the snake before long (he's not doing well), then blindside the failing executioners for her own victory.

I write these things as I go, folks; this is live and I don't know which future will be.

Next kill. Antwoman stabs hard enough to break through tiger skull, and Goku dies. God, look at what Min/Max is doing to the still-fighting Stephen, though. She's biting his intestines out!

She's run him clean up against his own starting position! Stephen is down and out of consciousness! But, uh, now Min/Max has given up on that biting thing that was working, and is trying to beat his brains in with an oak buckler. So... that's two fighters dead, three unconscious, and three taking one apiece of the unconscious ones to fail to kill by smacking them in the head.

It's Antwoman who first wins her head-smashing fight. Pike goes down. Of course, she can't easily help either of her living teammates, since her feet are mangled and she can't stand. So the other two brain-bongos play on for a good while. Finally, she reaches Min/Max, and knows just how to bring down the minotaur: biting her in the head protected by a copper helm. This does not actually produce many results. She does distract Min/Max, though, and the two begin a probably-final duel. When Antwoman scrambles away, Min/Max turns back to Stephen, letting Antwoman try another head-bite.

I'm speechless, folks.

Finally, though, Antwoman manages a leg shot, and Min/Max falls down. Of course, it's still anyone's game, but that was a very important shot that took away Min/Max's best remaining weapon: charging. Not that it matters. Antwoman next puts an iron dagger into Min/Max's hand, and the minotaur is out like a light.

Back to failed killshots. It's still possible that one of the Cows will wake up and slaughter everyone, or Antwoman will bleed to death, but otherwise, that's probably it, folks. Eventually, Antwoman finishes off Min/Max. Now, maybe she can... eventually... go help Simon kill Rob Ford.

It will be quite a journey, though. It's long enough that even Stephen wakes up to join her. Still, Antwoman had a head start.

Two stabs, and she's done what Simon could not.

Final Score
The Petting Zoo: 4
A furry, a farmer, and two cows: 1

Kills
Antwoman: 4
Dontellim Pike: 1

Once again, The Petting Zoo has won in a weird reversal of fortunes.

Combat Log

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
According to Ctrl-F, the line:

Simon Belmole (Petting Zoo) lashes Rob Ford (Furry Farm) in the head with his copper scourge, but the attack is deflected by Rob Ford (Furry Farm)'s large copper helm!

appears in this combat log 56 goddamn times.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Ablative posted:

Simon Belmole (Petting Zoo) lashes Rob Ford (Furry Farm) in the head with his copper scourge, but the attack is deflected by Rob Ford (Furry Farm)'s large copper helm!

That's actually misleading!

In the game, sometimes the same line appearing more than once gets a (x2) or (x3) or whatever appended after it. The gamelog.txt version loses this.

It might have been more like eighty smacks.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
The Petting Zoo lets the enemy pet them, and then wins in a fury of "YOU'RE PETTING WRONG!!" Good strat.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
EAT poo poo AND DIE, FURRY/FARMER/2xCOWS :ese:

WOOOOOOOOOOO

Edit: Hah, Antwoman put Pike on the ground with a diced foot before beginning the duel with Goku.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 2, 2015

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
My poor minotaur, can't handle a simple handstabbing without passing out all over the place.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
Well, look, Cowman just decided to let some of his teammates have a little time in the spotlight after hogging it all last match. Totes. That said, I guess Antwoman did pretty okay.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I was really pulling for a Canadian Politics Showdown, but alas Stephen Harper v Rob Ford will have to wait.

Also I'm thinking I need some points in dodging

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Oh hahahahaha gently caress yooooooou haaaa.

(okay that was a pretty good joke)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That was a good fight.

Actually, it might be neat to put the betting totals at the top of the match writeups, so we know who's favored in the bets.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Tunicate posted:

Actually, it might be neat to put the betting totals at the top of the match writeups, so we know who's favored in the bets.

:agreed:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

Good idea.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I've put a little UBBcode generator to help the commissioners write up the fights which will hopefully save them a little time when writing up the team names, their fighters, managers, and equipment at the beginning of the fight. This will also generate a betting summary as well. Going forward they can just copy-paste it all into the top of their post when they run a fight.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Too bad there's not a way to spit text out to the log from a macro. Or maybe there is. Who knows. Dwarf Fortress.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
If the website gets much better it will be impossible for me to cheat.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

It is a labor of love blood.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Ablative posted:

So, that advice that my team ignored...

If a fighter is incapacitated, attacks on him will preferentially target the head. If you have a strong helm, even if you go down you'll still tank abuse and potentially tie up an attacker so a teammate can rescue you.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Added Space posted:

So, that advice that my team ignored...

If a fighter is incapacitated, attacks on him will preferentially target the head. If you have a strong helm, even if you go down you'll still tank abuse and potentially tie up an attacker so a teammate can rescue you.

Clearly it did not work in this case, but the theory is sound.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Helmets are for women, children, and lesser gladiators.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Added Space posted:

There's the opportunity cost to consider, though. Points can be spent instead on making sure your fighter doesn't go down in the first place.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Opportunity costs are for women, children, and lesser gladiators.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Spermy Smurf posted:

We need to get Toady involved so that he can write some functionality for the arena writeup to be automatically generated and bake it directly into DF.

Then we just need to replace the players with more procedurally generated Toadyism.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

We need to get Toady involved so that he can write some functionality for the arena writeup to be automatically generated and bake it directly into DF.

Then we just need to replace the players with more procedurally generated Toadyism.

Will a procgenplayer with the [BAD MUNKI] flag just constantly make bad choices?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No, it just won't be able to path to the arena website.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

The blood is getting a bit dry.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Meetings, phone system upgrade, and offsite work mean I can't do fights for a few days :(

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
As impatient as I am to see more Arenafights, real life does need to take precedence sometimes. But if some other commish feels like running one of course...

And it's said a lot but the point stands: it's awesome that you guys are putting in the time for this, everyone involved in this is all awesome. Even Bad Munki, sort of.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Ramc posted:

It is more like the idea of fan art than actual fan art.

It is pretty bad is what I am saying.

Ramc, please. He had a family.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Mr. Vile posted:

Ramc, please. He had a family.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Round Three, Fight Two :siren:

Lightly Whipped, the home team, is on the left side of the arena, and they really deserve to not have to wait until the very end for once.
Ghost-trees (Ghostwoods) is a male molemarian. He wields a silver whip and a wooden buckler and wears a leather cap, leather armor, a copper mail shirt, leather gauntlets, and leather low boots.
Trump's Viscous Discharge (goatface) is a female minotaur. She is empty handed and wears leather gauntlets and leather high boots.
Grimmik (FillInTheBlank) is a male gremlin. He wields an iron whip and wears a steel helm.
Jupis Tooki McGannel (GreyPowerVan) is a male strangler. He wields a silver whip and a wooden shield and wears no armor.

The undefeated Subterranean Animists, the visiting team, is on the right side of the arena. Of course, it's their first time on the road...
Braun Strowman (Frozen_Flame) is a female soldier ant woman. She wields three copper short swords and wears an iron helm, a copper mail shirt, iron leggings, and iron gauntlets.
Baldwin (captaindirtnap) is a male dwarf. He wields an iron spear and a wooden shield and wears an iron helm, a copper mail shirt, and iron gauntlets.
Qwarf (C7ty1) is a male dwarf. He wields an iron spear and a wooden shield and wears an iron helm, an iron breast plate, and iron gauntlets.
Dusseldwarf (decoy badger) is a female dwarf. She wields an iron spear and a wooden shield and wears leather gauntlets and iron low boots.

Subterranean Animists is a 3.67 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 4340.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 1182.00 dwarfbucks for Lightly Whipped.

If you can't tell most of the above was pre-written by Jazzimus' automatic script, though I threw in my own touches to try to keep it personal. Not that most of you will see much difference, but this is a great feature to use.

The Animists advance in perfect lockstep. Of course, what else would you expect from a phalanx of four dwarves? The Whipped are less synchronized, with Trump by far the fastest fighter on the field. Almost immediately, Trump gets a spear in the intestines, courtesy of Qwarf. Dizzy from nausea, she can't avoid Dusseldwarf stabbing her in the same place. It's too much. She's down. Dusseldwarf keeps on execution duty, stabbing the minotaur in the head repeatedly.

Meanwhile, the one weird-looking dwarf on the Animists smashs open Ghost-trees's foot, with distraction assistance from Baldwin, as the whole team fends off the whips of their opponents. It doesn't take long for Dusseldwarf to break enough of Trump's skull for another to give the minotaur a lethal splitting headache, either.

Braun bites Ghost-trees in the head. It's not very effective. In response, Lightly Whipped lands their first blow of any sort, with Ghost-trees hitting Braun with his silver whip, crushing one of Braun's arms, which oozes antwoman dwarf ichor all over the floor. In response, Braun puts a sword through the molemarian's weapon hand, and the silver whip falls to the floor.

For a while, Grimmik and Jupis had been standing off the spear dwarves, but eventually Dusseldwarf slips a hit on one. The slippery Grimmik is grounded, meat torn away from leg bone, then taking a similar arm shot. She moves on, stabbing the gremlin in the chest.

This private fight between Grimmik and Dusseldwarf is in the south, with the rest of the teams piled up north, where Jupis finds Qwarf's spear in his stomach. Both fights are going similarly. Ghost-trees is suffering death by a thousand cuts, and Dusseldwarf is chopping up Grimmik's legs like he's a Thanksgiving turkey.

It's not all the away team's way, though. Jupis catches Baldwin in the leg, giving him a nasty bruise, then, more meaningfully, hits his arm so hard the blood explodes like an overfilled water balloon. He'll feel that in the morning... and he's lost his spear. Also, Ghost-trees's teeth find Braun's leg, biting effectively even through dwarvish exoskeleton.

Ghost-trees's hand goes flying, courtesy of an increasingly desperate Braun, but Braun's entire leg is messily shredded by Ghost-trees's worrying bite, then eventually what remains is torn away completely. This comeback isn't in time for Grimmik, who bleeds to death from Dusseldwarf's brutal dismemberment.

Going to take a moment to digress and mention that Grimmik's leg is still airborne, two Z-levels up. It's also leaving a visible blood trail on the arena floor.

Anyway, Qwarf puts a spear through the so-far juggernaut of Ghost-trees, collapsing a lung, not that the mole cares, as he tries to finish off Braun. Jupis even hits Baldwin in the gut, and the dwarf fights his suddenly-rebelling gut. Jupis ruins Dusseldwarf's right hand with another whip.

It's like Lightly Whipped just needed to warm up. They're coming back. Hell, if you count the bits of Ghost-trees separately, they might even outnumber the Animists, and now a berserk rage has overtaken Ghost-trees. Qwarf expertly manages to chop out Ghost-trees's tongue, though, along with a few other pointless extremities like left ears. Not that that is going to stop Ghost-trees! Unless he bleeds to death. He bleeds to death about now.

Jupis is alone, now, but not nearly as outmatched as that sounds. First, he's still in good shape. Braun is more likely to bleed out than wake up. Baldwin is too busy puking and trying not to suffocate to help out much. Dusseldwarf has lost her spear and has faltered since. Only Qwarf is fighting fit, which means the teams are, in a weird fashion, not as unbalanced now as they look, thanks to this sudden stubborn refusal to die from Lightly Whipped.

Qwarf isn't going to be an easy foe, though; he stabs off one of Jupis's hands. Jupis has more targets to distract him, and picks... less wisely, if effectively. Under his whip, Baldwin has his spine broken. He's paralyzed.

It was a fatal mistake to turn his back on Qwarf, though. Qwarf tears through lung and ribcage with a stab from behind, and suddenly Jupis is in serious trouble, unable to breath or think from the pain. Merciless Qwarf puts down the last foe with the savage brutality he's shown all fight.

Final Score
Subterranean Animists: 4
Lightly Whipped: 0

This... feels misleading. That could have been 4-2 with very little changed.

Kills
Qwarf: 2
Dusseldwarf: 2

Combat Log

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 4, 2015

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Little surprise at the final outcome, but Lightly Whipped definitely put up a good fight there. If they hadn't all been small guys their armour probably would do better vs. spears.

E: and Dusseldwarf is a ladydwarf just like her sister Braun, thank you very much.

Decoy Badger fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 4, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I get the impression that "An arm for an arm" is a trade Braun is uniquely well made to take. :v:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I am not getting my promised first strikes :mad:

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
I gotta say, being disarmed is a big problem when you can't bite effectively. Thank god for Quarf's sure grip and Braun's genetic condition.

Should my iron gauntlets have stopped the lash to the lower forearm? I didn't even see a mention of armor in the combat log.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Probably Lightly Whipped's best fight yet, though that's not saying much. The Minotaur is basically a non factor, why are cows so bad?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Well, I think the problem this fight was getting out in front and meeting a phalanx. I also think I shouldn't have given her any combat skills at all other than biting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

My huge amount of points in lashing almost paid off. drat.