Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

We have 1-1/2 orange kitties.

Donnie is (according to the rescue) 7 years old, we've had him since this past spring. Our intention was to get a big heavy cat for our ADHD/ODD son to snuggle when he's having meltdowns. Scored on half of that, he's definitely big and heavy. Pushing 20lbs but he's not fat, he's just a big goddamn cat.

He also likes to snuggle me by coming up on my chest for head pets, then turning around and plopping his rear end on my face.

He also falls asleep with his head up, and if you scratch his chin he won't wake up, but will still tilt his head back, leading to him getting stuck like this:

We're not sure why anyone would have given him up, he's the friendliest drat cat ever next to our full orange fluffball. He's never hissed at anyone, never bitten or scratched anyone, and will put up with absolutely anything for pets. As close as we can figure, he got given up becasue he has stomatites. We had to get 7 teeth pulled after his first vet checkup. Which has let to him kindof hilariously having problems keeping his tongue in his mouth while he's sleeping:

OJ was a rescue from a feral colony outside the apartment we rented before we got married. Momma had 4 kittens in the spring of 2005, and we started feeding them on our front porch. We managed to get two of them inside when they were under 6 months old, had them neutered, and planned to adopt them out. His brother Billie died the day he went to his new owners, two days after his neuter, and my wife was so upset that we decided to keep OJ.

Best decision ever.

He is the friendliest cat I have ever met. He never runs and hides when company comes over, he greets everyone at the top of the stairs. He knows when someone isn't a cat person and will incessantly rub on their legs until he gets pets. When we had our son in 2007 and our daughter in 2011, he would follow us around meowing when they were crying to make sure we were taking care of the babies, and would bathe their heads and snuggle in their cribs and baby swings. Every night, he follows my daughter to bed and lays with her until she's asleep, then follows my son to bed and lays with him until he's asleep (I had to built a set of 6' ladder steps for him to get into the IKEA loft bed, otherwise he'd sit at the bottom of the ladder and scream), then comes in our room in his "spot" in our bed.

Getting read to:

In his spot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

This is a kindof happy and mostly sad orange cat story.

Last Tuesday, my 6yo daughter came running in the house. "Dad, there's a cat in our garage!" Wife goes outside, and finds this matted ball of cute flopped over on the floor begging for belly rubs. We're positive he's someone's pet as he's a completely loveball with both the kids, so they pack him in the car and go up to the vet to check for a chip. No dice on the chip, but they flea and ear mite treat him at no charge, take some pictures for their lost and found board, and he comes back home. He must have been an absolute unit at one point, as you can see the skin hanging off him and feel his bones, but he still weighs in at 14#. Kids decide to name him Thomas.

"Help me, I'm homeless"

We originally set him up in my daughters room, but it's small and cramped and we started worrying about quarantine with our other cats, so we moved him back into the garage after she fell asleep. He's even eating like a king since we have a bunch of canned food we can't give ours anymore (old orange guy OJ is on SO/Hydrolyzed Protein for stones and allergies and can't eat anything else, so noone else gets to either). Put pictures up on Facebook and Nextdoor and a few people are sure he's their cat, come over, not him. In the meantime we've been leaving the garage door cracked so he can come and go as he pleases if he wants, but he never seems to leave. Free room and board and free food, I wouldn't leave either.

"Give me belly rubs"

Except when the kids are outside playing in the culdesac. Then he's laying at the end of the driveway watching our 10yo shoot Nerf guns and play kickball, or literally chasing our 6yo while she's on her scooter like a dog. Always goes back in the garage when they come inside though. Made himself a bed in a cubby in my workbench that's half blocked by a shelf.

So it's a week since he's been here, and we're losing hope that anyone is going to claim him. My wife starts worrying because he's seems to have stopped eating unless someone is actually out in the garage with him, so last night, we brought him inside, gave him a bath (no wounds on us or really any complaining from him. He tried to drink from the drain WHILE we were hosing him off), and cut the larger mats off him. He's going to need a shave, it's pretty much dreadlocks at this point. We set up a litterbox and a makeshift bed in our sons room, which is larger and somewhat easier to quarantine. About 30 minutes later, he's banging on the door to come out, so I go pet him for a bit, then demonstrate how to use the stairs we built so the other cats can get up in our son's 6' high loft bed. He plopped right down next to Jr, and hilariously, our son started petting him in his sleep when Thomas would rub on his hand.

"Neck scratches are awesome too!"

This morning we go in, thinking of the horrors we're going to find with pee and poo in his bed, but nope, Thomas has mastered stairs and is back asleep in our son's bed with a couple latrine trips in the box. We're kindof resigned to making him cat #5 at this point, or at least getting him fixed up enough that someone else will adopt him, so we make a regular vet appointment to see what the $$$ damage is going to get him groomed, take care of his nasty teeth, and drain/stitch what looks like a cyst/abscess on his side.

Sad story time.

"I'm handsome like that Ryan Reynolds guy. Maybe they can make me regenerate like Deadpool!"

Our vet is extremely awesome. Took care of Jack through his end stage FeLV (non-contagious carrier) 11 years ago, Frankenkitty through his lower bowel cancer 7 years ago, and Hershey through her renal failure 4 years ago, and is currently working with OJ's stones and allergies, Donnie's stomatitis extractions, and now Eevee's cystitis (what's it like having healthy cats, btw?). Originally says he's probably 12-15 years old. Checks the mass on his side, pokes around and squeezes. Not a cyst or an abscess, possibly cancer. Starts checking his belly. Finds a mass the size of her fist, can't tell if it's intestinal, liver or spleen. Almost definitely cancer. Revises age to 15+, and we start talking about a palliative care plan. Then she draws blood for a combo test. Comes back positive for FeLV, and now we have to decide whether we even take him home at all.

So we made the decision to bring him home under strict quarantine and hospice care. If it's intestinal cancer, it's large enough to go at any time, and he's probably looking at 1-4 weeks. Liver or spleen, 3 months at the outside. As best as we can figure given his overall condition, he's been outside since early spring, and he would have been pretty sick by then already, so we think his previous owners found out he was sick and dumped him.

So he's currently locked in our son's room with a litterbox, Rx recovery food and as much water as he can drink, and doing his best teddy bear impression up in Jr's bed. We're going to give him as much grooming as he'll stand to get the mats out (his fur is so pretty after his bath!) and keep him as comfortable and loved as we can for as long as he has left. He's too sweet to just get put out the door, and whoever did that to him is a horrible person.

"Is this what a home is like?" (taken while writing this post)

Gonna go cry now.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 31, 2018

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Update!

When we last saw our hero, Sir Thomas the Snaggletoothed, he had completed his quest to find shelter only to discover that not only was he mortally wounded, but likely contagious to his rescuers.

OH NO! (da-da-duuuuuhhhhhhh)

We had a bit of a scare about a week into quarantine where I scooped all the litterboxes with the same scoop, which freaked my wife out w/r/t FeLV transmission. The vet talked us off the ledge on that one, and we've been moving him back and forth between our son's room and our daughters room every few days so he doesn't feel like he's completely shut off from the rest of the world.

We've also had some adventures into my man cave slash office when I've worked from home

As well as a night of locking the other four cats in our bedroom and letting him have free run of the upstairs of the house for a family movie night. He didn't care about playing lapcat on the couch, but was highly interested in the catnip fish that now resides in whatever bedroom he's quarantined in.

That is his default position by the way. He flops right over for belly rubs and neck scratches if you so much as look at him.

He's been thoroughly enjoying the cat tree that overlooks the guinea pig cage in my son's room (no pictures), as well as things like my daughter sneaking my wife's laptop and a pint of ice cream into her room and sharing.

So we honestly did not expect him to live this long with the way the vet talked about it. The kids going back to school seems to have hit him hard since he's essentially locked in a room alone all day while the other cats have free reign of the house, but my wife only works weekends and spends as much time with him as she can between errands and general house cleaning/maintenance. He has days where it seems that he doesn't do much but lay in the bed staring at a corner or looking out the window, but he tends perks right up when someone comes in the room and is perfectly content to snuggle right next to whoever is sitting on the bed with him and watch some TV, play laser pointer, or attack a catnip toy.

His meow also sounds like a honk.

The kids are still taking it hard that he's not going to be here very much longer, but he's come a long way in the 6 weeks since he showed up. He's still a lot thinner than we'd like, and he tends to just lick the gravy from the wet food, but we manage to get a couple cans of it in him every day. He doesn't seem to have much interest in the kibble, and with the way his teeth look, I'm not sure I blame him. He had zero interest in the prescription rescue food that we got from the vet either. Still working on getting the brushing the all the mats out.

Edit: My wife is a huge dork with Snapchat

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 4, 2018

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

CommanderApaul posted:

Update!

When we last saw our hero, Sir Thomas the Snaggletoothed, he had completed his quest to find shelter only to discover that not only was he mortally wounded, but likely contagious to his rescuers.

OH NO! (da-da-duuuuuhhhhhhh)

We had a bit of a scare about a week into quarantine where I scooped all the litterboxes with the same scoop, which freaked my wife out w/r/t FeLV transmission. The vet talked us off the ledge on that one, and we've been moving him back and forth between our son's room and our daughters room every few days so he doesn't feel like he's completely shut off from the rest of the world.

We've also had some adventures into my man cave slash office when I've worked from home

As well as a night of locking the other four cats in our bedroom and letting him have free run of the upstairs of the house for a family movie night. He didn't care about playing lapcat on the couch, but was highly interested in the catnip fish that now resides in whatever bedroom he's quarantined in.

That is his default position by the way. He flops right over for belly rubs and neck scratches if you so much as look at him.

He's been thoroughly enjoying the cat tree that overlooks the guinea pig cage in my son's room (no pictures), as well as things like my daughter sneaking my wife's laptop and a pint of ice cream into her room and sharing.

So we honestly did not expect him to live this long with the way the vet talked about it. The kids going back to school seems to have hit him hard since he's essentially locked in a room alone all day while the other cats have free reign of the house, but my wife only works weekends and spends as much time with him as she can between errands and general house cleaning/maintenance. He has days where it seems that he doesn't do much but lay in the bed staring at a corner or looking out the window, but he tends perks right up when someone comes in the room and is perfectly content to snuggle right next to whoever is sitting on the bed with him and watch some TV, play laser pointer, or attack a catnip toy.

His meow also sounds like a honk.

The kids are still taking it hard that he's not going to be here very much longer, but he's come a long way in the 6 weeks since he showed up. He's still a lot thinner than we'd like, and he tends to just lick the gravy from the wet food, but we manage to get a couple cans of it in him every day. He doesn't seem to have much interest in the kibble, and with the way his teeth look, I'm not sure I blame him. He had zero interest in the prescription rescue food that we got from the vet either. Still working on getting the brushing the all the mats out.

Edit: My wife is a huge dork with Snapchat

Our vet told us that when he started to go downhill, that it was going to be fast. We weren't expecting it to be quite so fast. He stopped eating solid food completely on Saturday, and after a couple days of some cat soup things my wife found at the pet store, he stopped eating those too. When I took him in last night his mass had gone to baseball sized and his belly was full of fluid, and he was almost skeletal. We buried him in our kitty garden out back, under a weeping pussy willow tree that we planted this past summer for all of them.

I hope we gave him a happy last two months.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Update on our dearly departed Thomas. My wife is pissed off as gently caress and to be honest, so am I.

She took OJ up to the vet last Friday for excessive vomiting (again, stop eating carpet fibers and guinea pig hay you rear end in a top hat), and found a printout from pawboost posted on the Lost and Found board of Thomas (nee Chucky, apparently).

We found Thomas in our garage on August 21st, took him to the vet the same day for an initial consult. He was matted all to poo poo, had that golf-ball sized cyst (that turned out to be a tumor) on his side, teeth rotten, gums swollen, and was emaciated as hell. The vet at that time said he'd been outside for probably a couple months at least. When we went back in and got the full workup a week and a half later, and got the FeLV and double cancer bomb, they estimated him at 15+ years.

The poster:

"Chucky is orange in color, missing one canine tooth, and has a quarter sized cyst on his side. He has not been declawed but has been neutered. He is very friendly, responds to his name, and will probably talk your ear off. Chucky is 17 years old, and has been an indoor cat his entire life. Please take the time to share this, and/or call or post comments if you think you've spotted him. Many, many thanks!

Last seen August 20th"

AUGUST loving 20TH. That cat was outside for a DAY before he wandered into our garage looking like that! A DAY!

We emailed and called the contact information on the flyer to explain what happened, because we would want to know if it was one of our furbabies, but OMG I can't get over the condition he was in. It's been a week and they haven't called or emailed back.

The absolute worst part is that we know where they live, and he could see his house from the end of our driveway when he was sunning himself while watching the kids play. And he never wandered back in the week and a half he stayed in our garage with the door cracked, and they never responded to the flyers we put up around the neighborhood.

Since this is the orange cat thread.

OJ (orange), Donnie (orange/white) and Eevee (tortie)(blame the kids for that name) in a snuggle pile:

Donnie and Eevee being boyfriend and girlfriend after mutual bathtime:

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Local rescue posted up that they needed someone to take in this guy for a while back on the 3rd. We had a tripod named Frankenkitty for 7 years before he died of bowel cancer, and I have a soft spot in my heart for them, I love how Frank would plop over on the remaining half of his butt while his hip twitched trying to scratch his ear with a leg that wasn't there. Then he'd stare at me, meow, and do it again if I hadn't bent down to scratch it for him yet. That's how he introduced himself to me at the cat rescue we found him at, and I melted immediately. And this one's ORANGE!

He had a badly broken leg, looked kinda like a flamingo to be honest, and was scared half to death. He had an appointment for the 10th for an amputation, and they needed someone who could give him pain meds 2x daily and try to fatten him up a bit. He's not feral and he's already neutered, so not sure what happened to him.

He hissed and growled when anyone came in the room and it scared the crap out of my wife, who said he was a devil cat (but SHE wanted to foster him!). I laid down on the floor just inside arms reach of him and talked all quiet to him, and eventually calmed down enough for pets. Loves his neck and sides scratched, especially the side he can't do himself, and he flopped over and kneaded the floor and purred like crazy. As soon as you move away, he starts screaming again, which we figured out after a day or so means "no, pet me MORE". But as soon as you stand up, his eyes get all wide and he starts cowering again, so he's going to need some work. I'm pretty sure he's just been in so much pain he can't process much else. Eats anything you put in front of him like he's never eaten before.

It was mostly a pretty uneventful week. Despite having to drag him out of the cage twice a day for meds, he never swatted or bit at anyone, and only scratched me a bit trying to get away from getting his maw pried open for the pain meds, and nipped at me once when I touched his bad foot on accident. Put up with both the kids fawning over him constantly. Still doesn't trust my wife which is pretty hilarious. But he starts kneading when you pet his sides, leans in for head scratches and plops over for neck/ear scratches. Even seems to enjoy a bit of belly rubs.

My 7yo daughter came along to drop him off for surgery, and she spend the whole ride there with the carrier on her lap, reassuring him in a singsong voice that it was going to be OK, and telling him stories about how "They can cut your leg off without you being killed, mommy and daddy had a three legged kitty before I was born" and "This will make you feel better and then you'll like being snuggled," etc.

We picked him up today post surgery, he has 10 days of daily antibiotics, 2 more days of antiinflammitories and I don't know how many more days of pain meds. Stitches come out in two weeks. He refused to come out of the carrier, so I took it apart and starting petting him. He just flopped over like it was a box to hangout in, so he's not doing too bad. Also he's so thin his spine sticking out looks like lizard spines. Freaked out our son.

Donnie and OJ both came sniffing at the carrier in the hallway yesterday morning before we left, and today when we brought him home. They don't seem to care that he's here, no hissing or meowing, and neither of them seem to care that our hands smell like that weird cat. Callie doesn't give a poo poo about anything anyways, so she's good. Eevee, on the other hand, is in full tortie bitch mode and hisses at my hands after I've been in petting him, but that's calmed down a little bit.

Don't know if we're going to be able to keep him after fostering, but I wouldn't mind having a ravenous tripod around the house again. I still miss Frank, and he's been gone for 7 years. He had the most personality of any cat I've ever seen, and I'd love to see if this guy is like that too, with a bit of an orange kitty twist.

The rescue named him Laken, but he doesn't look like a Laken. Kids want to name him Lincoln because he's orange like a penny, but there's an rear end in a top hat kid up the street named Lincoln.

I want to name him something suitable like Pogo. Or Drei. Or Half-assed Hank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Tyrion, ladies and gentlemen.

We seem to have twin floofs.

Donnie's favorite pastime lately is SCREAMING while carrying a Nerf rival ball in his mouth, dropping it at my feet, then a 50/50 chance of either chasing it when I throw it, or looking at me like I'm an rear end in a top hat before flopping over for belly rubs. I've never seen a cat flop like him either, it's like a cross between a head rub of the floor and a horse falling over, complete with *thud*.

We got a new dresser and I found over a dozen of the things under there. It's like hair ties with the other cats. I'm scared to look under the fridge and stove.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 6, 2019