Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

This pretty much got me to say something I never thought I'd ever say: "I really like Steve Jobs."

Seriously, this is just filled with so many good loving lines. I loved this. The only problem is the last 5 minutes kicks in with the most saccharine inspirational indie rock music ever, which is absolutely moronic since the movie is absurdly cynical until the ending, where it switches gears. It's like Danny Boyle slept through the making of the whole movie and let Sorkin handle it, and then in the last five minutes he woke up and decided it was time to do it his way, and it's terrible. And it's absolutely infuriating because as far as I'm concerned the movie hadn't made a single misstep until that point. It's a completely unearned positive ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

so this movie just glosses over all those chinese workers killing themselves then?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

DetoxP posted:

Seriously, this is just filled with so many good loving lines. I loved this. The only problem is the last 5 minutes kicks in with the most saccharine inspirational indie rock music ever, which is absolutely moronic since the movie is absurdly cynical until the ending, where it switches gears. It's like Danny Boyle slept through the making of the whole movie and let Sorkin handle it, and then in the last five minutes he woke up and decided it was time to do it his way, and it's terrible. And it's absolutely infuriating because as far as I'm concerned the movie hadn't made a single misstep until that point. It's a completely unearned positive ending.
I dunno, by the end it's hard to tell whether he actually likes his daughter because he's her father or because she's a perfect example of his target consumer. Right before it cuts to the credits I felt like she was just another audience member.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The definitive version of the Steve Jobs story will be the one where he continues being an absolute oval office until the moment he dies and learns nothing.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

I find it odd so many people are poo-pooing this movie because they hate Steve Jobs when this movie basically depicts him as an insufferable tool.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DetoxP posted:

I find it odd so many people are poo-pooing this movie because they hate Steve Jobs when this movie basically depicts him as an insufferable tool.

Steve Jobs is the internet equivalent of Hillary Clinton - a character that's been portrayed as "the enemy" for so long that thoughtful discussion is quite impossible.

For example, despite the film not covering the events of the iPhone, you get witty responses like:

Stairmaster posted:

so this movie just glosses over all those chinese workers killing themselves then?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

DetoxP posted:

You hit the nail on the head. It felt like an ending for a completely different movie. I mean, poo poo, this guy is so wretched and awful to everyone around him and then if there was a moment of redemption in there, which I guess would be the intercut memories of his daughter flooding in, it's utterly anticlimactic and, as you say, unearned

I found a lot to enjoy about this film, especially whenever it would go into Boyle's style-mode, but those moments almost seemed to contrast Sorkin's familiar hallway conversations. The coolest parts of this movie were the sequences with Jeff Daniels that jump through time and the narrative plunges forward rapidly but seamlessly. But maybe the reason they were at all interesting in the first place is that the movie was departing the rather dull (though beautifully composed) backstage setting the the majority of the story is told in.

I don't know. I had an okay time but it wasn't anywhere near as good as The Social Network.

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy

Casimir Radon posted:

The definitive version of the Steve Jobs story will be the one where he continues being an absolute oval office until the moment he dies and learns nothing.

This. Who will be the one to make it?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skull Knight posted:

God already did, no need to improve upon it.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Hilario Baldness posted:

I liked it. Sharp dialogue. Fassbender and Daniels were good. Didn't care much for Rogen. Story got a little too clean and cliched at the very end, but it was still well done.

Rogen was great!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bows1 posted:

Rogen was great!

Rogen is a legitimately good dramatic actor.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Skull Knight posted:

it should have ended with him in his hospital bed, emaciated and fading rapidly, wasting some of his extremely finite remaining moments on earth petulantly bitching out the doctor about how poorly his heart monitor finger sensor is designed. because that actually happened.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mysterious frankie posted:

it should have ended with him in his hospital bed, emaciated and fading rapidly, wasting some of his extremely finite remaining moments on earth petulantly bitching out the doctor about how poorly his heart monitor finger sensor is designed. because that actually happened.

Oh wow. Oh wow.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

And scene!

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy

You can't end it like this... we need a link!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Skull Knight posted:

You can't end it like this... we need a link!

Oh dang, well it was an anecdote in his biography, so I can't really link it. It was portrayed as a cute detail about ol' Steve, that irascible scamp who can't not quibble about aesthetics, but it came off as sad to me.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, Take this Waltz provided a fairly great example of this.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

He killed it in 50/50.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He's like a better Vince Vaughn.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

He's like a better Vince Vaughn.

I think he has the capability to have a career similar to John C. Reilly. Only Rogen started primarily in comedy (unless you count Freaks and Geeks as drama) then transitioned to drama while Reilly did the opposite. Both do a variety of styles still, not wholly doing one but never shying away from being ridiculous.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Rogen's a solid actor who's really hard to take seriously because all I associate with his distinctive voice is toilet humor.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Breakfast All Day posted:

Complaining about the factual inaccuracies in this is like complaining about Lawrence of Arabia creating a heroic epic at the expense of historical accuracy -- it's not that it doesn't care about actual events, it's that we all know them and it doesn't want to let facts get in the way of the truth in the myth. In this sense it's a perfectly natural choice for Fassbender given his character in The Movie That Shall Not Be Named.

It succeeds at doing what Lincoln failed spectacularly at.

In the Lincoln movie, they had him fight vampires.....

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Aaron Sorkin discusses Steve Jobs. “I would say it’s not a biopic."

http://deadline.com/2015/11/steve-jobs-aaron-sorkin-steve-jobs-facts-lies-1201613284/

quote:

Steve Jobs screenwriter Aaron Sorkin took the stage at Deadline’s The Contenders event this morning, standing by the accuracy of his film and announcing, “I think there’s been some confusion about the movie.”

“There’s not a fact about Steve Jobs that has been distorted, perverted or invented except this: Steve Jobs didn’t’ have confrontations with five people 40 minutes before every product launch. That’s a writer’s conceit.”

“I would say it’s not a biopic,” said the Oscar-winning writer of The Social Network who delivered his 189-page script to the studio “in a shopping bag.”

“When you write a biopic, you land on characters’ greatest hits along the way. I didn’t want to write a $30M studio version of a Wikipedia page. I’ve enjoyed traditional biopics in the past and we already know there have been a few on Steve Jobs, as well as a couple of plays and the Sante Fe Operahouse is doing an opera on Steve Jobs for the 2017 season.”

To which Sorkin joked, “People’s heads in Cupertino, CA are going to burst knowing that Steve Jobs wasn’t a tenor!”

In fact, Sorkin, arguably had more access to those in Jobs’ circle than author Walter Isaacson, whose Steve Jobs is the book that the Danny Boyle-directed film is based on.

“Talking to all these people, I got the idea to do this movie in three real time scenes, moments before a production launch and dramatize it,” said Sorkin.

Point in fact: Sorkin actually conversed with Jobs on three occasions. Said Sorkin, “He called me. The first time was to tell me that he loved a West Wing episode that aired the night before. The second time was to invite me to Pixar in hopes that I would writer a Pixar film and the third time was to help him with his Stanford University commencement speech. I fixed some typos.”

Apple marketing guru Joanna Hoffman is portrayed in the film as the only person who could stand up to the acerbic Jobs. Upon meeting her, Sorkin realized that her story was essential drama.Referring to a scene where Hoffman reveals the excellent sales projections for the iMac, Sorkin explained, “I don’t know if Steve and Joanna had that conversation, but all the facts in that conversation are true. After spending time with her, and learning how she felt, it was an interesting way to dramatize it.”

One of the lynchpin sources for Sorkin was daughter Lisa Jobs, who also wasn’t accessible to Walter Isaacson for his Steve Jobs book. Lisa Jobs declined to see the film despite Sorkin’s offer of a private screening, and she even backed out of attending the New York Film Festival premiere five minutes before it started. “She had written me an email and said, I hope my character isn’t weak,” said Sorkin.

Sorkin quelled her concern by sending her the monologue where Lisa goes off on her father toward the end of the movie, cursing the iMac as a machine that looked like “Judy Jetson’s Easy Bake Oven.”

Lisa approved of the embellishment. “God,” she wrote, “if I only said that to him.”

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I watched this movie and I thought it was good.

Sorkin may be almost as polarizing a figure as Jobs, but I'll file this under "Good Sorkin" rather than "poo poo Sorkin".

If I had to complain, I kind of felt like the film drifted in the end to redeeming Jobs too much. "At least he patched things up with his daughter and Jeff Daniels." I would have preferred Jobs being portrayed as an ambiguous figure like he was for most of the movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Echo Chamber posted:

If I had to complain, I kind of felt like the film drifted in the end to redeeming Jobs too much. "At least he patched things up with his daughter and Jeff Daniels."

Yeah, that took me out a little bit, since Sculley and Jobs never met again after Jobs' ultimate ouster from Apple.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I think I need to watch this again, since I'm not entirely sure what to make of the end of the movie. Right at the very end, he announces the iMac and seemingly goes to bring his daughter onstage...but the camera shifts to over Lisa's shoulder, and the the closer he walks to her, the more out of focus he gets, until he's just a smear of color. It's a very ambiguous note, and it has me wondering if this reconciliation was actually a "reconciliation" at all.

Thinking about it a bit, it seems like the movie depicted Jobs as someone who was awful to be with in person, but everyone who drifted into his orbit was never able to pull away. We had Wozniak asking for Jobs to recognize that Apple II team despite the blatant futility of trying to wring an acknowledgement out of Jobs, and we had that whole mess with his not-girlfriend and not-daughter, where he didn't admit he was Lisa's father but kept giving Chrisann more money than she could ever earn by herself, and the two kept floating through his life for years afterward. No wonder he was pissed she sold the house; she finally broke free of him.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

In its third week of release, the movie has gone from 2,411 screens to just 339.

Ouch.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

All the trailers looked bad IMO. And the Ashton Kutcher version that came out earlier poisoned everything.

With a different cast this could have been direct to DVD

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Nov 11, 2015

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Fifthng Frank, a beautiful movie (slightly biased because I guest as a blurry shadow audience member at the first gig disaster scene). Everyone should watch everything by Lenny Abrahamson, especially Room, which I guess is out now in major US cities?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DetoxP posted:

This pretty much got me to say something I never thought I'd ever say: "I really like Steve Jobs."

Wasn't that kind of the whole point to the movie? Like how could this not have a totally out-of-place saccharine ending?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I don't think the ending was too bad. He finds a small bit of closure yes, but it doesn't redeem anything that came before. I think that ultimately the movie argues that Jobs was above all Human. Petty, vindictive but human.

I do think it's interesting that what really forces the reconciliation is the idea that someone else was going to pay her tuition.

Also, Sorkin's script is legally available online. Boyle cut a few interesting lines, particularly with Woz and Jobs in the garage where Jobs outlines his ethos for Apple.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

drat this movie bombed.

Welp bye

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

oldpainless posted:

drat this movie bombed.

Welp bye

Lauren Powel Jobs can probably afford to kill 2-3 movies if she really wanted to.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I enjoyed it but Sorkin can do no wrong in my eyes.

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin

willie_dee posted:

I enjoyed it but Sorkin can do no wrong in my eyes.

Pretty much right there with you. I understand the criticisms, but for some reason that dialogue is just something I really enjoy.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

wdarkk posted:

Lauren Powel Jobs can probably afford to kill 2-3 movies if she really wanted to.

Are you saying a good chunk of people really wanted to see the movie but she managed to keep them from doing so?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

oldpainless posted:

Are you saying a good chunk of people really wanted to see the movie but she managed to keep them from doing so?

It's a joke, based on the fact that she called up people to ask them to not be in/make the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
I'm a big Winslet fan but I thought she was pretty weak in this. I didn't realise that she was meant to have an accent in the first part (did she? or does it just develop when they change camera?) and then when it hits it's bad, clearly distracting her from actually acting. It's remarkable that she might win the Oscar for this.

The movie is otherwise decent. The script is expectedly strong in the moment, but lacks any clear purpose. Boyle seemed happy to just shoot the thing, when it probably needed a Fincher to fight back against it a bit.

• Locked thread