Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
That happened to me on one of the previous ones too, the only thing I can think of is that the AI is playing at a higher difficulty cause I was on Advanced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

or they could be mario kart rules

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
sometimes the premium shows are slanting towards you not only being fully upgraded but also using Hero Powers like X2 or Score Chaser

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Guitar Hero Live for iOS is now $9.99

http://toucharcade.com/2015/12/17/guitar-hero-live-sale/

You can play it without an iOS Guitar (4 Lane Tapping)
It's the full game
It also has GHTV
You can't use your guitar with it UNLESS it's for iOS (No PS4/XB1/XB360/PS3/WiiU)

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

toymach1ne posted:

Guitar Hero Live for iOS is now $9.99

http://toucharcade.com/2015/12/17/guitar-hero-live-sale/

You can play it without an iOS Guitar (4 Lane Tapping)
It's the full game
It also has GHTV
You can't use your guitar with it UNLESS it's for iOS (No PS4/XB1/XB360/PS3/WiiU)

Worth noting that even the Live content is streamed to the device according to the comments. And the game is still huge at 2GB

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Astro7x posted:

Worth noting that even the Live content is streamed to the device according to the comments. And the game is still huge at 2GB

Yeah, you can't play it on Airplane mode. Just checked

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
That's so stupid.

I would have picked this up for $10, but not if I need data. If I am in a place with Wifi I'll just play on my console. That stupid video is not worth it.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
my favorite part about these new duel things they introduced is that both times i've gotten one the other player plays 0 notes and drops out and i win by default

i can't even tell what i get from winning one apart from extra status. i didnt notice any extra coins or anything else special

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
It's just status, which is dumb because 20 level cap

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i'm level 16 and i've barely put any time into this, that seems like a pretty dumb reward

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
So, any word when / if there will be Android compatibility? I don't want to buy an Apple product just to get an app …

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
if you mean the Companion Feature of the app it's just a microphone to sing in the game

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Ah, then I don't care about it.

Can I use my old Rock Band microphones, or do I have to get a new one to do vocals in this game?

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Old ones work fine.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
A part of me wants to like it for going back to just having the guitar like in the original GH games but I want to hate it because it then removes all the other peripherals they had from GH:WT to GH:WoR...and making the controls into a weird casual 3x2 button layout.

And the song choices are odd too, I mean 'Bangarang' really? I don't mind Eminem being in on this but it's just samples from The Stroke, it wouldn't have any difference if it was on DJ Hero. I was gonna complain about Katy Perry being on the setlist too but then I remembered this is from the same publisher that released Band Hero so I guess they'd do something like this.

GH: Live isn't really for me, I'd stick to RB4 but it sucks they don't have the Keys anymore (unless they bring it back in RB5) and you can't play RBN songs (I think).

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Junior Jr. posted:

A part of me wants to like it for going back to just having the guitar like in the original GH games but I want to hate it because it then removes all the other peripherals they had from GH:WT to GH:WoR...and making the controls into a weird casual 3x2 button layout.

And the song choices are odd too, I mean 'Bangarang' really? I don't mind Eminem being in on this but it's just samples from The Stroke, it wouldn't have any difference if it was on DJ Hero. I was gonna complain about Katy Perry being on the setlist too but then I remembered this is from the same publisher that released Band Hero so I guess they'd do something like this.

GH: Live isn't really for me, I'd stick to RB4 but it sucks they don't have the Keys anymore (unless they bring it back in RB5) and you can't play RBN songs (I think).

lol @ casual. Let me know how you fare on GHTV1

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/678596720716988416

GH Live Guitars - $20

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Its such a great value I'm almost considering buying a 3rd

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
http://theherofeed.com/6141/avenged-sevenfold-to-host-exclusive-ghtv-show/

A7X hosting their own show, takes me back to Much Music

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Rock The Halls

* The Killers "A Great Big Sled (ft. Toni Halliday)"
* All Time Low "Merry Christmas, Kiss My rear end"
* The Darkness "I Am Santa"

Christmas Rocks!

* The Killers "The Cowboys' Christmas Ball"
* The Raveonettes "The Christmas Song"
* The Darkness "Christmas Time (Don't Let the Bells End)"

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

toymach1ne posted:

Rock The Halls

* The Killers "A Great Big Sled (ft. Toni Halliday)"
* All Time Low "Merry Christmas, Kiss My rear end"
* The Darkness "I Am Santa"

Christmas Rocks!

* The Killers "The Cowboys' Christmas Ball"
* The Raveonettes "The Christmas Song"
* The Darkness "Christmas Time (Don't Let the Bells End)"

That's pretty cool, the Killers' Christmas songs are always interesting.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Having a blast with this, much more so than RB4 at least. Though that Skrillex song is a total mood killer. At least the Eminem song has samples from The Stroke so there's something to play. I've already gone through the 'campaign' stuff, such as it is. Someone earlier had the better idea of just following one group, from playing in front of 3 people to working their way up to a headlining act. It would've at least given some cohesion. Anyway, the VIP set ends up being pretty fun.

GHTV has been great, but gently caress that same 'Band picks their favourite music' show that's been on a stupid amount of times in 2 days.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
That's a limited thing (band is Avenged Sevenfold)

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

toymach1ne posted:

That's a limited thing (band is Avenged Sevenfold)

Thanks, I couldn't remember. I should say that actually they pick some good songs, it just seems to be way too heavily on rotation.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I really wish I could play GHTV. It always times out in the middle of the tutorial song and say it can't connect to the GHTV servers, giving me the error code flint. I've restarted the game, the xbone, shut it completely off and rebooted it, no dice. Connection is good, and it happens both over wifi and with an ethernet cable plugged in.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
So I got this today for the Wii U and played for some hours. Great fun. However: I noticed that "strumming" up doesn't always register. As in I suspect the contact isn't as constant as it should be when strummed up. Not that disastrous, but I suspect it would be best to get a "guitar" that would work as intended. Especially on higher difficulties.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I've not noticed any missed notes but my strum bar does squeak like a motherfucker on an upstrum and it drives me crazy

It took me a bit but I'm now comfortable playing Expert and this game is way more fun than previous iterations. I was skeptical of the new format at first but I'm totally sold on it now

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Party Party Party

* Andrew WK "Party Hard"
* Steel Panther "Party Like Tomorrow Is The End Of The World"
* Twin Atlantic "Fall Into The Party"

The Dead Weather

* The Dead Weather - Be Still (Live)
* The Dead Weather - I Feel Love (Every Million Miles) - Live
* The Dead Weather - Let Me Through (Live)

Return of The Classics

* Loverboy "Working For The Weekend"
* Pat Benetar "You'd Better Run"
* Survivor "Children of The Night"

Also according to @GrumbleVolcano6 they added a bunch of GH Live on disc songs to GHTV.

* Of Monsters and Men - Mountain Sound
* The Gaslight Anthem - 45
* The 1975 - Girls
* Rise Against - Tragedy + Time
* Soundgarden - Been Away Too Long
* The Killers - When You Were Young

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Steel Panther is a great chart, definitely check that out

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Brought back my copy of GHL for a new one, and this time my guitar has a fully-working strum bar. However, the black one key has a nasty habit of sticking. What fun. I'll have to see if I can fix it somehow without having to bring it back to the store yet again - package and all.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Probably not, based on the two I own they all get sticky keys after a short while.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Well, instead of going through the same trouble of going back to the store with the whole package again, I decided to just fix it myself - drat the warranty! I detached and opened the neck, put a floor protector pad on the circuit pad to apply some pressure and hey presto, no more sticky buttons. It's not 100% perfect, the button squeaks a little if you press it from one side, but at least it doesn't stick anymore. All thanks to this video.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Has somebody out there figured out the songs that play within each GHTV video block?

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Astro7x posted:

Has somebody out there figured out the songs that play within each GHTV video block?

There was a bit of that going on in the guitar hero subreddit but I'm personally not too sure how it works out in the long run as some of them seem to change over time. (Biggest hits comes to mind as one that had a different lineup a month ago)

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Festival Anthems

Kings Of Leon – Use Somebody
The Killers – Mr. Brightside
Biffy Clyro – Black Chandelier

New Rock Revolution

Lower Than Atlantis – English Kids In America
Mallory Knox – When Are We Waking Up?
Don Broco – Priorities

cheap guitars http://www.bestbuy.com/site/activision-guitar-hero-live-guitar-controller/4687224.p?id=1219808315495&skuId=4687224

toymach1ne fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 6, 2016

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

This game is currently $49.99 on Amazon

Guitar Hero Live - PlayStation 4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VEPK97Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_.l.LwbD9MBGCK

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Tiny Lowtax posted:

This game is currently $49.99 on Amazon

Guitar Hero Live - PlayStation 4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VEPK97Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_.l.LwbD9MBGCK

Bought this. I haven't played any of these kinds of games since Guitar Hero 2 but GHTV seems designed exactly for someone like me who just wants to relax and play a few songs without meticulously cultivating a library.

I just hope it doesn't take me too long to get used to the new button layout.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

AndrewP posted:

Bought this. I haven't played any of these kinds of games since Guitar Hero 2 but GHTV seems designed exactly for someone like me who just wants to relax and play a few songs without meticulously cultivating a library.

I just hope it doesn't take me too long to get used to the new button layout.

If you played Expert on the previous GH games you can probably jump straight to Advanced and after a few weeks you'll get the hang of it

There's definitely a learning curve but it's also way more fun

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Kumbamontu posted:

If you played Expert on the previous GH games you can probably jump straight to Advanced and after a few weeks you'll get the hang of it

There's definitely a learning curve but it's also way more fun

The only thing that gets me playing on expert are when there are multiple cords in a row that mix buttons on the upper and lower frets. I swear I reverse it in my head most of the time and et it wrong.

That said, Advanced is just really fun to play on. I know it's not the full chart, but I definitely feel like they are not overly simplifying stuff like on Rock Band's hard mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Guitar Hero Live thoughts:

Calibration still seems off. Seems to be tons of lag between instrument to game (can hear it when strumming with no music, and also when watching the keys show up when I press the neck buttons). I've calibrated as best I can to compensate but it still feels like I will never be able to actually chain together a drat combo because it's never quuiiiite right. Ugh. Sorta game-ruining until I can get it a little better.

The new button layout is interesting but difficult. I reeeally wish white was on top for some reason, or you could at least flip them. Also, I forgot how much harder a lot of these songs are to play on GH than they would be to just play them on an actual guitar.

Guitar Hero TV is neat, but the constant "here's what songs you can buy!" is annoying and I always just change the channel. Really fun to watch some of these old music videos.

loving up a concert in Guitar Hero Live while getting disapproving looks from your band is the funniest goddamned thing and had me giggling like an idiot.

• Locked thread