Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I started playing Metal Gear Solid 2 and I'm really bad at it. It took me a while to get the hang of MGS1, but I don't get MGS2 at all. I feel like I'm missing some important things. I looked up the controls, so at least this time I'm not going into it without knowing how to incapacitate guards or something, but I'm still getting completely destroyed every step of the way.

Give me some hot tips and tricks to play MGS2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

What in particular are you having trouble with?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

What in particular are you having trouble with?
I have no idea where to go, I get spotted by guards constantly, etc. Should I just break the necks of every single person on the tanker?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Without knowing specifically what you need help with, my advice is to make activating nodes a priority, making sure you don't step on loud surfaces because there are a shitload around, and press up against walls and peek out before going into a hallway, the overhead camera makes it difficult for you to see enemies before they see you. Another good piece of advice is just rushing guards when they see you, if they don't physically call an alert in then it won't trigger an alert.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i need 2 know to. im really good at mgs 5+3 but 1 and 2 are hard as balls .

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Knocking people out is always a bad idea, it seems. I have yet to knock someone out that didn't either wake up and call guards, or wake up and call guards while I'm trying to drag him to a locker.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If you're on the tanker abuse first-person mode and the tranq pistol. You can also choke people out by just holding them and tugging their neck when they start struggling.

E: I think it's generally easier to kill people and move on in MGS2 than going full non-lethal. I'd just snap necks and shoot people until you've figured the game out more. A lot of MGS2 is knowing level transitions and speeding your way through rooms.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i guess its just the camera. well ,i havent spent a lot of time with those 2 games yet.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
MGS2 is a hard game, so it's not because you're retarded. Use first-person often and be very careful until you activate the nerd, er, i mean nodes. It's been too long since I played it to give advice more specific than that. Good luck.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

i need 2 know to. im really good at mgs 5+3 but 1 and 2 are hard as balls .

its funny because 3 and 5 are way more complex but 1 and 2 are more difficult somehow

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I haven't played it in years but using first person view helps a lot when you're in a more open area like the walkways between struts. You can go into first person and scope out the area before you start. The guard movements are also a lot quicker and snappier like when they turn around so you kind of wanna move fast between bits of cover and concealment rather than slowly inching around in most areas.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I once played a couple minutes of MGS2 at a game store when it came out. I couldn't play for more than 10 seconds without getting spotted. I figured I'd be better at it now, but I'm not.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That said, it's clearly a good game. The opening cutscene is gorgeous, there's an insane amount of attention to detail, and movement is really smooth and fluid. I wish the crawling controls were better, but crawling seems less essential than in MGS1, so I'm okay with that.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Google image search found this, i'm not sure if it helps:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Thank you for the picture of naked Samus.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I once played a couple minutes of MGS2 at a game store when it came out. I couldn't play for more than 10 seconds without getting spotted. I figured I'd be better at it now, but I'm not.

alerts arent as big of a deal as they are in MGSV. so when you do get one just hide for a bit and you'll be fine.

when i replayed this a few months ago i just hauled rear end everywhere i went since guards wont notice you until you are right up on them. i never did hold ups and just popped around corners sniping with tranq.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Drew... how should I put this. Jason, should I tell him? You're doing something.. that... I think you're overthinking this, Drew.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

net cafe scandal posted:

Drew... how should I put this. Jason, should I tell him? You're doing something.. that... I think you're overthinking this, Drew.

lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

mgs2 is loving hard and one of the few games id suggest playing on easy first. the tutorial bit with snake where it's setup for you 2 win is fine, but once you get to the tanker and dont even have radar it gets brutal

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

Knocking people out is always a bad idea, it seems. I have yet to knock someone out that didn't either wake up and call guards, or wake up and call guards while I'm trying to drag him to a locker.

You can disable radios on guards by shooting them. Use your tranquil gun. Make codec calls to see where to go

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Black Baby Goku posted:

You can disable radios on guards by shooting them. Use your tranquil gun.
See, this is the kind of poo poo I had no idea about. I love you, Kojima.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ice cubes melt and fall in a realistic way, and melt over time in a realistic fashion

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
oh yeah if you do enough pull ups your grip gauge will level up and you can hang from ledges even longer

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
mGS is the greatest videogame series

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i think the very first situation in the tanker is needing to get past 3 armed guards in a tiny room without any weapons lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Black Baby Goku posted:

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Black Baby Goku posted:

:yeah:

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

FactsAreUseless posted:

See, this is the kind of poo poo I had no idea about. I love you, Kojima.

If you shoot guards in the arns they can't raise their weapons, and if you shoot them in the legs they hobble around.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

Black Baby Goku posted:

i say its the greatest series of anything, including movies, fast food franchises, etc

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Buschmaki posted:

If you shoot guards in the arns they can't raise their weapons, and if you shoot them in the legs they hobble around.

If Yoda fucks Luke in the rear end, he cums.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

rediscover posted:

If Yoda fucks Luke in the rear end, he cums.

He's cumming too?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
He's cumming too?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Snake, that's Yoda's penis... One thrust from his dick can tear a man in half.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

I started playing Metal Gear Solid 2 and I'm really bad at it. It took me a while to get the hang of MGS1, but I don't get MGS2 at all. I feel like I'm missing some important things. I looked up the controls, so at least this time I'm not going into it without knowing how to incapacitate guards or something, but I'm still getting completely destroyed every step of the way.

Give me some hot tips and tricks to play MGS2.

you can look in first person. that was huge, especially compared to mgs1

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

net cafe scandal posted:

haha

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I forgot, if you press L2 or R2 while in first person you'll lean to the side, and if you hold both down Raiden will stand on his tip-toes. This is really useful for peeking over stuff.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
mgs2 is actually really easy because you can just roll around knocking people over then holding them up when they get back to their feet get all the dog tags never get caught and defuse the bombs
also if you really blow just shoot peoples walkie-talkies as you enter a new area with your brand spankin new innovative first person view mode
another thing you can do is use your codec to call people who can give you advice on where to go
make sure you stand under peepee if you see it that stuff tastes great and refills your batteries
theres a bomb you have to shoot behind an american flag and one being lifted around by a cypher or whatever the hell those drone thigns are called
there are a lot of bombs in this game because some chubby chode wants to eat and grow fat
i hope all this useful advice goes into your thick head and you win the video game because thats what i think everyone here wants for you man they want you to win

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
no wait its laugh and grow fat what the gently caress how does laughing make you fatter

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

starbarry clock posted:

no wait its laugh and grow fat what the gently caress how does laughing make you fatter
I don't know, but I'm losing a lot of weight reading your posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
If you run around on the bird poop, you will slip.

• Locked thread