Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

3DS/New 3DS NA: $10, Not America: Who Cares

BASIC programming thing on 3DS, sequel to Petit Computer, blah blah blah you know if you want this already. It has online sharing now so you don't have to scan a million QR codes to share programs, its more powerful due to being on 3DS (and supposedly 3x even more powerful on New 3DS), the API is improved, the editor is a little better, in my professional opinion It Is Good. Buy SmileBASIC, pretend like you're going to make stuff, post stuff itt, thanks for reading, here's a video of some stuff that won a contest earlier this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z68vwBvXbOg&t=42s

COOL STUFF: (sickest poo poo indicated with 💩)
💩73C4H39J - FM2K by yunomi, arcade style game about jumping on enemy's heads with perspective effect. Oogiri first prize winner.
 LACYV3JJ - Kusakari by kuni, 3D lawnmowing game. Oogiri president's prize winner.
 A3W4384E - PLANE2 by SatoshiMcCloud, Star Fox looking cave flyer game (NKA8QPR1 for wireframe version). Oogiri tech prize winner.
 YKAKXX3Y - Yuki no Reindeer by suu, cute winter themed running game with mode7-esque effect. Oogiri art prize winner.
💩EB2XEEKV - Strawberry Storm Striker by yunomi, dual joystick shooter with shades of Time Pilot + anime art
 XRV43KKE - Onkan Heaven by Gameth, musical pitch testing game, cute art
 EADXY3KJ - Puchi Touhou by ika, its Touhou
 V3NEW3A4 - Alpaca by Gameth, Alpaca
 VK4NED31 - Nekohime00 by Nekohime, compilation of a couple games, featuring remake of the best PTC game, Hi-Jump Johnny
💩S323D3 - Splashting by PetitPetit, Time Crisis/Gears of War cover shooter
💩4D2X3KQV - Dead Heat Racing by PetitPetit, top down drift racing game
 R33V8KV - The Drive by PetitPetit, its Outrun
💩N3A5E3L3 - Arcanum Stone by hiraiyukio, insanely well made fighting game
💩JD2EE2QV - Solid Gunner, shmup officially developed by Smileboom w/ graphics from 8bit Fanatics, the people behind 1001 Spikes
 4RK3J4B3 - Celeste by obono, platformer
 533YE3RJ - Jintrich by hiraiyukio, Splatoon-esque territory control game
 KK34XR3 - Red Glasses by yunomi, cool paint application
 R4DYQ3G4 - Safari Dash by nekohachi, retro arcade game kind of like City Connection I guess?
 4DEDXXZ3 - Maidfly by kiyo, its a shmup
 JE2EVEHE - Meteor Storm by otemoto stinger, its Asteroids
 QK3EREZD - INVADER GAME by nicotakuya. its Space Invaders
 XKA3XPDF - Death March by nekohachi, lightning rod simulation
 QK483EJF - Volleyball by rikisuke, volleyball
💩735YW3L4 - GIVERS P3D by bugtaro, 3D polygonal shooter

(help me find cool stuff)

PLACES TO FIND COOL STUFF
Japanese Spreadsheet
Japanese wiki
Japanese Miiverse
English Miiverse
Search google/youtube/twitter for "プチコン", "petitcom", or "sbkey"

STUFF FOR MAKING STUFF:
Instruction reference
Manual
Japanese Wiki
Weirdo English Wiki
Petit Modem - For transferring files
PetitEditor - Web based code editor

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I don't know what to make with this, but I will make, something.

I made like 200 sprites wobble on screen though. Blows my mind that it actually runs really smooth.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

homeless snail posted:

BASIC programming thing on 3DS, sequel to Petit Computer, blah blah blah you know if you want this already. \

Actually I have never heard of this before and am mildly intrigued, do you think you could put something in the OP that describes it? Thanks

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Vengarr posted:

Actually I have never heard of this before and am mildly intrigued, do you think you could put something in the OP that describes it? Thanks
Petit Computer is this, but on DSiWare.

e: Oh you meant SmileBASIC. Its just a BASIC programming environment that mildly mimics 80s microcomputers, such as the Commdore or MSX.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
im a basic bitch

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Kreayshawn game was NOT made in Smilebasic

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

strawberry storm striker is actually really rad, it's got a gradius powerup system and looks nice as hell

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Petit Gears of War:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkYiSI2HuU4

Dead Heat Racing, top-down drifting game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0ujikE6Nt4

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 16, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I am looking forward to making stupid game prototypes with my stylus

vze
Jul 29, 2013

Good for nothing.
Strawberry Storm Striker is better than some of the games I've bought on the eshop.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I finally figured out how to import those map tool layers to my main program. You load them as DAT: resources into arrays of length 8, then use bgload with 64x64 dimensions.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there a good primer on this program, for those of us who don't wanna have to decipher the Engrish-filled web tutorial?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

The Engrish tutorial is really cute you should decipher it anyway BUT yeah it's not helpful really. This guy's been doing a bunch of tutorial videos that I haven't actually watched so I don't know if they're good! But they're there http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCVcRHjOi9HU8HjTkGRaiqA/videos

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

absolutely anything posted:

The Engrish tutorial is really cute you should decipher it anyway BUT yeah it's not helpful really. This guy's been doing a bunch of tutorial videos that I haven't actually watched so I don't know if they're good! But they're there http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCVcRHjOi9HU8HjTkGRaiqA/videos

Petitprofessor's stuff about menu screens and background collision is nice. He does like hard mode for his walk cycle tutorial for some reason, though. Just use Spanim "I", dawg :shobon:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Here's something neat I found on Miiverse that I'm sure zero people will ever use: a program that lets you send and receive files through local wireless! Public key is 237YK334.

Some Japanese guy also made a big post of public keys. Haven't had the time to go through them but there might be some cool stuff in there. https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkiLBD4gQ

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I might be kind of confused on where I save things like spritesheets, MML tracks, and libraries. Are these all defined as giant blocks of DATA in a single program? Or is there some sort of tool I should be using?

The stock sprite editor is a little lacking, unfortunately. I can't precisely set RGB values, which is annoying.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Arcanum Stone, a fighting game: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYIHAAAEAAArVRTqfX0HYg

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Another Japanese Miiverse dude posted something cool, library of 100 songs for you to use freely in your stuff. https://miiverse.nintendo.net/titles/6437256808785493679/6437256808785493688

I dug around the code and found a public key for the program he made to create all of it. Hell if I know how to use it though! Key is S5N3EVKE.

This is also real neat. Inputs are a little too tight though, way too hard to do a double qcf.

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 17, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Smileboom's working on a Wii U version under the working title "Petit Computer BIG":

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

With keyboard support!!

They also just announced the 4th oogiri, submission period starts today and ends January 3rd. The main theme is "Ninja", but this year they are also accepting entries in the "useful gadgets" category, and a free-for-all open division. The winners' programs will show up in an issue of Petitcom Magazine and receive royalties from that, and there are some consolation prizes too, I think they sent out stickers last year. More info: http://smilebasic.com/en/ogiri4/

Finally, if you tried to buy Petitcom Gold before and couldn't, its fixed now. e: Its $1/month, or $5 for 6 months, for 10x more upload slots and 5x bigger size limit per slot.

Pollyanna posted:

I might be kind of confused on where I save things like spritesheets, MML tracks, and libraries. Are these all defined as giant blocks of DATA in a single program? Or is there some sort of tool I should be using?
Its versatile, you can save them into files and then LOAD them either directly into GRP memory in the case of bitmaps, or into an array or string and then GLOAD/BGLOAD/BGMSET/WAVSET from that, or yeah you can use DATA statements if you want to embed everything into one file.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 17, 2015

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Yep, I'll buy it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Oh I missed some other announcements from the fan meeting:

Solid Gunner, the headlining game of Petitcom Magazine vol 1 developed by Smileboom with graphics from the 1001 Spikes people is publicly available now: JD2EE2QV

In the upcoming 3.3 update they're going to start selling DLC modules, the first set includes an "IP Catalog Collaboration" with Namco-Bandai and is a collection of sprite sheets from old Namco arcade games for a buck or two a pop, and by the wording of the press release is specifically not coming overseas due to licensing issues? The other module is the "Advanced Sound Unit" and includes FFT, biquad filtering, and streaming audio support and is $5. You'll have to buy the modules to run programs that use them which kinda sucks IMO, but at least now you can turn your DS into a guitar pedal if you really want to.

The press release also has some more details on Petitcom BIG: its compatible with the 3DS version, but will also have additional Wii U-only functionality, such as a 800x480 display mode, 1024x1024 GRP pages, and wiimote/controller support, and its scheduled for spring of 2016 in Japan.

vze
Jul 29, 2013

Good for nothing.
[removed because I'm seven minutes slower than a snail]

vze fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 17, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Welcome to the next level: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm27341239

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

:captainpop:

e: duuuuuuude solid gunner is fully sick

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 17, 2015

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I can't get over how insane Arcanum Stone is for a Petitcom game, its at least as good as some doujin fighting games I've played on PC, some of the characters have some really interesting movesets. I was trying to find some other stuff that guy's done and ran into this, its a WIP of a weird top-down Splatoon kind of thing SKEX32HE
There's an updated version of AS in there too, not sure what's different other than text being moved to an external file.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
The Petit Modem program is freaking hilarious. I had an audio cable laying around and it worked fine for transferring from the 3ds to the pc but didn't have the right connections to work as a microphone input on the 3ds. Not to be dissuaded, I held my headphones up to the built in microphone and by god it worked! It would suck for longer transfers, but hey, I was surprised it worked at all.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Cool Guy making Cool Thing: https://twitter.com/Bug_taro
blob:https%3A//vine.co/48744eed-8f8c-4ace-b466-75d295cf248b

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Cool Guy making Cool Thing: https://twitter.com/Bug_taro
blob:https%3A//vine.co/48744eed-8f8c-4ace-b466-75d295cf248b

:aaaaa:
Jesus. I'm still putzing around with a guy that walks around a room.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

i bought this basically exclusively for that arcanum lil sprite fighter, i dont think i will ever do any coding but i'm gonna check a lot of cool stuff out and maybe try to make music with it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

i bought this basically exclusively for that arcanum lil sprite fighter, i dont think i will ever do any coding but i'm gonna check a lot of cool stuff out and maybe try to make music with it
It would be sick to have someone posting MML for people to steal for their projects. I was just trying to make some music for the thing I've been working on and I'm suddenly remembering I'm garbage at making music.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

So, is there a way to write the files on a computer instead of using the 3DS touchscreen?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

gmq posted:

So, is there a way to write the files on a computer instead of using the 3DS touchscreen?
You can plug the 3DS into your computer's minijack and use Petitmodem to transfer files at a blistering 1200 baud.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's an English key for Petitcity, a Sim City clone: (chrome won't let me c/p the JP wiki link so search "投稿プログラム: PetitCity ver1.0 都市開発ゲーム" for pics)

N37Q83KJ

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

theres a lot of hidden gems in that jappo spreadsheet, i've gotten like 10 things off it now. lunar hunters or something like that is the only one i can recall at the moment w/out my 3ds on me. i tried to mess with the tracker that was used for that 100 song pack and its very ancient and arcane in its design, but does seem to be quite functional. definitely no english writing on it anywhere in the world, but it resembles early sequencer/synth programs a lot so i'm sure i can learn it with time, but i'm also hoping there is a better alternative to it somewhere, or that such a thing is currently being made.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lunar Saviors, yeah, that one is kind of cool, if maybe a little boring.

Really you probably don't need a sequencer, writing MML directly is almost as easy. Check out Solid Gunner for what well-formatted MML can look like, and read the SmileBASIC MML reference. You can also bring it up by typing MML into the editor and then hitting the help button. e: Actually Solid Gunner's MML is a lot messier than I remember, I must have been thinking of something else.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here's an English key for Petitcity, a Sim City clone: (chrome won't let me c/p the JP wiki link so search "投稿プログラム: PetitCity ver1.0 都市開発ゲーム" for pics)

N37Q83KJ
I'm glad I didn't bother finishing the English patch for this I was working on. This is another one I didn't think was particularly fun either, but PetitCity 2 is looking incredibly cool

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 21, 2015

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

yeah the simcity one is basically bad but a cool proof of concept like i built 4 bathhouses in a row and it just permanently crashed which i guess is fine, it was too many bathhouses.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Fair enough. I'm pretty much just posting things from Miiverse that look interesting, I can't try the games for myself.

Speaking of... Volleyball! 【QK483EJF】 https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYIHAAAEAAASVZKdvpfb2Q

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Can you still import/export QR codes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Vlad the Retailer posted:

Can you still import/export QR codes?

Nope. It's a cloud service with simple download codes now.

• Locked thread