Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«20 »
~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

I've been out of the loop for a while; just ticking along on my Sandy Bridge Hack running System 10.11 El Capitan.

Has anyone seen a good build for a modern system with PCIe storage?
Do you need to buy into a server socket to get enough PCIe lanes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Fallen Rib

For some reason my Hackintosh is running quite sluggishly relative to my Mid-2015 MBP. This shouldn't happen as I'm working with an i7-7770k and a 1080ti. Is there some boot option I ought to have ticked or unticked that could be causing this?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

For some reason my Hackintosh is running quite sluggishly relative to my Mid-2015 MBP. This shouldn't happen as I'm working with an i7-7770k and a 1080ti. Is there some boot option I ought to have ticked or unticked that could be causing this?

Hey is it in that cheese grater Mac case? If so I want to see some pics and words about the building process

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

hard drive maybe?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Fallen Rib

GutBomb posted:

Hey is it in that cheese grater Mac case? If so I want to see some pics and words about the building process
No its still sitting in my closet at home with the kit and the dremel i bought for it bc im a lazy rear end in a top hat

redeyes posted:

hard drive maybe?
Don't think so, running Windows off the same SSD and it works fine. Could have something to do with using 2 monitors maybe?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

A 1080ti shouldn't have problems with 2 monitors (that I know of). The MBP probably has a faster SSD than your hackintosh.. but that shouldn't be that noticable. Sometimes SSDs have problems though, one area of the thing can work at full speed and others not so much, but of course this would be a failure case.

I would at the very least pull up Activity Monitor and poke around in that and see if anything sticks out.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The main thing that made my hackintosh feel "sluggish" was just the crappy scrool wheel implementation in OSX, since you are probably using a generic mouse and not a touchpad it will feel very different from the smooth touchpad scrolling on an Apple laptop.

I've had really good results getting that smooth scrolling back with https://smooze.co
I run my hackintosh with four 120hz displays and stuff like dragging a window across displays and scrolling (with smooze at least) feels way snappier than it does even in Windows

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Fallen Rib

I'm using a Magic Trackpad 2. Nothing stands out in Activity Monitor.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I was having major slowdowns mainly to do with i/o. Enabled trim support in my older SSD and everything went back to normal.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

The issue may be Nvidia's latest drivers, which have introduced persistent stuttering/lag. Try this.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Sent from my iPad posted:

The issue may be Nvidia's latest drivers, which have introduced persistent stuttering/lag. Try this.

Apparently nvidia fixed this issue with the latest driver version. I was using the latest nvidiafixup kext to solve the issue before but the latest drivers seem to fix it as well.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I've come across the Vega Frontier Edition for a good price.
Are these vaguely comparable to 1080 in OS X / for Metal2 apps?

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Hey Hackintosh thread!

I've had a system running dual MacOS and Windows for the last 3 years relatively perfectly, but it seems my GPU (a GTX 970) is dying and I need to replace it. My first thought was to get a 1070 as it's the replacement for my 970 but prices are such now that I'd rather not spend $450 on a card, so I was looking at a 1060 which will still give me a slight bump over the 970 and is a "reasonable" $300. I've been tempted to go for a RX 580 though as it does get native MacOS support so I could stop messing with the NVIDIA web drivers which could be nice. The only thing is that the RX 580 is about $50 more and seems to be more power hungry than the GTX 1060.

edit: nvm: went with the 1060. Saving $50 and since my Hackintosh is already set up for NVIDIA stuff it'll be an easier upgrade, plus Amazon will deliver one today for free.

Ouhei fucked around with this message at May 18, 2018 around 15:25

pram
Jun 10, 2001

going the AMD route is much better imo, the nvidia drivers have a lot of weird issues that crop up constantly. 580/Vega literally work OOB with no kexts or weird stuff

pram
Jun 10, 2001

~Coxy posted:

I've come across the Vega Frontier Edition for a good price.
Are these vaguely comparable to 1080 in OS X / for Metal2 apps?

i run fortnite at 1440p ultra and it does a smooth 60fps. i doubt theres actual benchmarks for 1080/V64 in osx, but theyre similar in all the Windows DX/OpenGL benchmarks i've seen

also get the liquid cooled card because the stock fan on the FE is hilariously loud

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Sadly the Vega with the closed loop cooler was still hilariously expensive.
Maybe I should just get a 580 now they're cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 12, 2015

x99 hackintosher here.

i cry a lot

«20 »