Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annorax
Oct 20, 2008

Wistful Admiral

enMTW posted:

290 needs a device ID injection AFAIK. It's not an XFX brand card, right? Insanely Mac should have the ID.

I'm on vacation or I'd help further.

I'm having similar problems with my Gigabyte 390X. Tried injection, tried dumping the BIOS to get the connector patches & patching all the config.plists to have a 390x compatible Baladi, just can't get QE/CI or the drat card recognized as anything other than a generic display or 290 with 7MB. I'd take just about any ideas to get the thing working & really don't want to have to do something like downgrading to a lovely/expensive nVidia GPU.

Annorax fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annorax
Oct 20, 2008

Wistful Admiral

enMTW posted:

AMD GPUs are complicated. I'll talk to a guy who know a lot about AMD and get back to you.

Thank you.

Annorax
Oct 20, 2008

Wistful Admiral
No good on the 390x? I'm starting to think I'm going to need to spend more on a less capable nVidiot card :/

Annorax
Oct 20, 2008

Wistful Admiral

enMTW posted:

Support for the 390x is super preliminary. You can't really use it under OS X.

gently caress. I was hoping that Macbook they're selling with a M390X might have led to something I could adapt to get the thing working. Maybe I just trade my gf the really nice card & get my 280 back....

Annorax
Oct 20, 2008

Wistful Admiral

Craptacular! posted:

There's now been ATI bitching and NVidia bitching on just this page of the thread.

If I'm buying a new mid-range card to replace my mid-range card of three years ago, which works best? I used to buy NVidia because of Linux, but OSX86 is my new Linux.

ATI isn't the problem, bleeding edge ATI cards like 390x and R9 Fury are. Midrange and older cards are mostly fine, I have an R9 280 that worked perfectly with dual monitors on Yosemite. I'm just loving around with this 390x because my gf needed the 280 to replace a warrantable (but not returned for gently caress knows why) 270x.

Annorax
Oct 20, 2008

Wistful Admiral

enMTW posted:

Support for the 390x is super preliminary. You can't really use it under OS X.

I might be completely loving crazy with this, but I've got an opportunity to test a way around this problem.

Are there any negative consequences to having the 390X in the system if OS X isn't actually using it? I'm thinking of installing a second, more Hackintosh-friendly card (about to get my 280 back from my girlfriend), double-plugging the monitors (each monitor plugged into an input on each card) & using the 280 inputs in OS X with nothing injected for the 390X (hoping this disables it as effectively as the 280'll be disabled in Windows.)

Is this plan batshit insane? or does it have a chance of giving me a viable dual-boot setup without having to give up the 390X?

Annorax
Oct 20, 2008

Wistful Admiral
Can I get recommendations for an inexpensive and completely compatible LGA 2011 mobo? I'm looking to make my next build an i7-3960X-based one & have a line on a fairly cheap chip for it. Wifi isn't necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annorax
Oct 20, 2008

Wistful Admiral
How are AMD CPUs working these days?

I've just been forced to replace my i7-5820k gaming monster with a Ryzen 5 3600X-based midrange gaming rig. Mobo is Gigabyte, GPU's a RX 580. How hosed would I be if I decided I wanted to dual-boot 10 and whatever the current MacOS build is on this hardware?