Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

landgrabber posted:

x99 hackintosher here.

i cry a lot

I have an Asus X99-AII that I am thinking about converting. Is it really that bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I've been using qemu passthrough for the last year and it's always worked great. Updated to 10.13.5 and suddenly my rx560 chokes. Thanks Apple!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Updating my KVM to Mojave today. Will report back.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Update: Everything went perfectly. I did have to restart without GPU pass-through so I could select the MacOS installation partition that Mojave created, but after a second reboot I now have Dark mode. :woop:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Eeek...man the X99 platform sounds rough. :v:

Curious scanning through the bios shots didn't see any vt-d (virtualization) field. Is that in there anywhere, because enable always causes problems.

It's there, it's just under some obscure advanced option that I can't remember. I have an Asus X99A2 and it took me quite a while to find the VT-D option.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

So have you stripped everything from it from besides one ram stick and the discrete GPU (maybe you have one).

I didn't.

My setup:
Asus X99A-2
i7-6800K
32GB DDR4
(2x)RX560

When I installed bare-metal, I had everything working on 10.13 with unibeast and clover.

Eventually I went with Fedora (I'm an embedded Linux Engineer) and GPU passthrough in a KVM for MacOS if I need it. My geekbench scores where around a 2017 corei5 imac. :shrug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Annorax posted:

How are AMD CPUs working these days?

I've just been forced to replace my i7-5820k gaming monster with a Ryzen 5 3600X-based midrange gaming rig. Mobo is Gigabyte, GPU's a RX 580. How hosed would I be if I decided I wanted to dual-boot 10 and whatever the current MacOS build is on this hardware?

Best option is to throw a second video card in your system and use a VM with GPU passthrough. That’s what I do and everything works perfectly. I even passthrough a Broadcom wireless card so handoff and WiFi work as well.

The entire setup from beginning to end was about an hour and a half. I hit about 2% slower than bare metal speeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kivi posted:

I cannot get Bluetooth to work, how did you do that? Everything else works, but Bluetooth says not available. Wifi works fine, as it's on PCIe bus. I've tried re-directing USB (Apple Bluetooth thing) and tried to connect the Bluetooth USB wire on a pass-through USB card (Renesas something or other, not sure if it works at all)

E: Genuine Apple Broadcom Wifi + BT card. BT is needed for handoff.

E: It was the Renesas card! Passing thru a Asmedia card and bluetooth Just Works.

Welcome to the best hackintosh experience available. Enjoy your unlimited upgrades and easy backups!