Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Upgraded to high sierra (and even the the latest .1) update.

For some reason I cannot for the life of me get HD4000 graphics going. Do I need something else besides injecting the ID within clover?

Edit: Yay, solved it. Good grief that was finnicky.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Problem with freenas (which I run with along Time machine) is not the so simple task of disk quotas. Not a big deal for me, be I can't figure out why Apple just can't ask how much space you need for backups?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Granted I roll mine with the integrated Intel graphics, but you sort of need to keep up Nvidia webdrivers scene if that makes sense.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Well I said screw it and updated to the beta of Mojave on my hack. I'll be damned. Smoothest upgrade ever.

(Unlike the nightmare of High Seirra)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Binary Badger posted:

Did you get converted to APFS? Only trading one nightmare for another IMHO.

I did that shitshow when I upgraded to HS.

Mojave was basically downloading the install and off it went. No clover updates, no multibeast, unibeast, etc.

Still have one nagging problem that has existed since forever. But for a major upgrade fairly easy.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

There are build guides on tonymac for example.

But from experience...start small (meaning the iGPU which isn't easy either) and move up from there.

Mojave was the easiest dang upgrade ever. Usually I have to "fight" them a tad but once I figured out the kexts (which you will get to know) along with the Clover Configurator it all starts to click.

In short, start with an Intel board with realtek audio and onboard video and you should be good to go.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

revmoo posted:

cheap and functional.

Well https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/building-a-customac-hackintosh-the-ultimate-buyers-guide/#CustoMac_Budget_ATX

Heck my Mojave system is on an Ivy Bridge CPU built years ago. Rumor is it might not be long for this world since they canned Sandy Bridge support (but they are working on work arounds).

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

LODGE NORTH posted:

kext, in this instance, refers to files you place in your EFI partition or certain folders (next line of text below) to either add features, modify pre-existing ones, or anything similar to that.

S/L/E/ and buy extension, L/E/ stand for /System/Library/Extensions or Library/Extensions. Don't know how other people feel about it, but I don't think anything needs to go in SLE or LE in 2018 on High Sierra unless otherwise stated to do so. I pop everything in my EFI's Other folder.

This is what confuses me and I don't really have a say in the matter. In my "Other" folder I basically have 4 kexts. Rest I dump into extensions.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

track day bro! posted:

I've managed to hit a problem pretty quickly trying to do this. The installer launched from clover just stalls instantly, if I put it in verbose mode it seems to stop with the error 'RTC: Only Single Ram Bank (128 bytes)' anyone know what this means?

This is on an Asus x99 board with a 5820k and a Vega gpu.

Going to need a few more details. Is this a new install? Did you use unibeast? etc.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Eeek...man the X99 platform sounds rough. :v:

Curious scanning through the bios shots didn't see any vt-d (virtualization) field. Is that in there anywhere, because enable always causes problems.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, good advice. You just have to *ahem* find the install.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

ratbert90 posted:

It's there, it's just under some obscure advanced option that I can't remember. I have an Asus X99A2 and it took me quite a while to find the VT-D option.

So have you stripped everything from it from besides one ram stick and the discrete GPU (maybe you have one).

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

track day bro! posted:

The HS USB I made yesterday does get much further than the unibeast one, but now it looks like setup loads but I can only see a small portion of the screen?

What are you using GPU wise? Sounds like some progress at least...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

So does it have a iGPU on the MB you can use?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Nothing else to do, clover should just load all the kexts in the "other" directory automatically.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

So, any new found luck?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

No problem, but that is another can of worms from what I've been reading in regards to HDMI output.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Well did an upgrade via appstore to 10.14.2 from .1. Went without a hitch. Then I thought, hell, let's update clover. Apparently that version of clover I went with deleted an .efi file and now system wouldn't boot. :v:

Anyways, was able to copy the aptio efi file using the shell and all is good. Learned a lot, shouldn't had to though.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yes, good to have to have a copy. The update of clover took me a little off guard.

Everytime I think I screwed up an install I was able to recover it. The HS was the big one. Mojave pretty much went without a hitch until the aptio fiasco.

Chugging away I guess.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Binary Badger posted:

Don't think they have any choice if they are going to ARM like everyone thinks they will.

Somewhat related, those clever folks in the MacRumors forums discovered that during a Windows 10 install on Boot Camp, that Windows 10 actually writes a certificate into the EPROMs that normally hold the Mac's BootROM. Not sure how long Apple will hold the door open for that as that could potentially be an infection vector.

What was the reasoning for this?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Wild EEPROM posted:

kexts:

fakesmc_acpisensors, cpusensors, gpusensors, lpcsensors, smmsensors

What is going on with this?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Cool, so all that's left is video ports and system info is wrong?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, I like opencore. I tossed a new hack together with a z490 and it took quite a bit of work but mostly sorted.

Sleep not working, but that is about all left to futz with.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Big Sur updated without a hitch.

Twenty minutes flat to update. Only one reboot. Was the most painless upgrade I've ever done.

Open core really takes the drama out of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

10th gen works fine. WG was a pain because at the time it was fairly new. Fortunately I was able to copy someone else's config for that part.