Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

mayodreams posted:

I did the same thing on my Mini 9. It was practically unusable and I sold it after like 6 months.

Weird. I used my Mini 9 hack for a couple of years until the battery died. Totally fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Well I'm back on the hackintosh train after buying an i3 NUC to replace my ancient 2007 Mac Mini for TV stuff.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

revmoo posted:

STILL no hackintosh for my T25 Thinkpad / T470?

Literally first google result? https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/9z3ax6/success_mojave_on_my_thinkpad_t470/

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
So far so good with the NUC. Sleep works which is a first for any Hack I've had :). Have to go deeper into RehabMan's guides to see why my dual core i3 shows 4 cpus in Activity Monitor, I'm sure it's a SMBIOS or DSDT entry that needs to be tweaked.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

revmoo posted:

Can you literally post the first result that has a working build? I kinda need wifi on a laptop.

Lol :) WiFi is one of those things that Hacks have to go outside the box for.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Posting this from an i5 Intel Nuc on Catalina, from clueless about everything hackintosh to up and running in a couple of hours. Was going to configure a mini-ITX system which admittedly for basically the same price ($750 cad) would have been far more impressive in CPU/GPU power, but then thought about what I would actually be using it for, my limited space and reports on how easy it was to get a Nuc going as a build so went this route and no regrets. Even going with third-party ram and avoiding Apple's markup there, an equivalent Mac mini with 500gb SSD+16gb was $1600, and doesn't even have hyperthreading like this does. Blows away my 2018 $1700 macbook in performance (which was a dual-core i7).

Only drawbacks were expected - no bluetooth/wifi. I've ordered an Archer wifi USB to fix the latter (frankly I wouldn't bother as I'm right next to my router, but Apple's location services for maps/siri require Wifi, wtf?), but for bluetooth I have the supposed IoGear bluetooth USB dongle already that's reported as compatible, but nothing happens when I plug it in. From what I've read it's plug and play, do I need a kext for it to work with Catalina? I've also seen reports of other Nuc users getting internal bluetooth (but not wifi) to work - anyone know if this is possible with a NUC8i5BEK? Would like to avoid using another usb port if possible.
I've got an i3 NUC (NUC7i3BNH) and one of the big things you need to do is disable both the built-in WiFi and Bluetooth in the BIOS before trying to get them to work with replacement hardware.

Once that's done, I was able to get the Kinivo BTD-400 Bluetooth USB dongle to work out of the box. I had a previous IO Gear that wouldn't work with this machine, so IDK. The Kinivo is a Broadcom chipset, and those are usually widely compatible. Note this is on Mojave.

I actually got the built-in BT to work, in the most roundabout way possible, and I definitely don't recommend bothering, since it won't survive if you have to ever shut the machine down or the power goes off.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
You can check the chipset in the system information report.

e: wrong name

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 16, 2020

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
LadyOS, RaspberryOS, OSdry...

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

otter posted:

Yeah, "years to come" to me meant 2 years and we're done with intel support, peace out homies.
Lol no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

SourKraut posted:

One thing to note though is that even with Apple controlling the design of their custom silicon used in Macs now, they're still at the mercy of the Fab(s) they're using having the capacity available, AND at the mercy of said Fabs continuing node improvements.
True, but Apple has a ton of money to throw at these problems, and had done so I the past (buying every available tiny HDD for the first iPod, buying up half a year's supply of SSD chips from Samsung at a stretch, etc. ) Tim if nothing else is a supply chain guy.