Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I had a bunch of old parts centered around Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L, a Core 2 Duo E6300 (in a former life this combo could be overclocked to 3+ Ghz from a 1.86GHz stock clock), and a Radeon 4870. I could not get El Capitan to work using the clean install method described in the OP. I used UniBeast (I had to select the Legacy option) on an App Store El Capitan image, and the install worked on the first try. I don't have any speakers connected to the computer, so I'm not sure if the sound works, but video acceleration and networking both work out of the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I have two old machines. First machine:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.0
Core 2 Duo e6300
8GB DDR2

Second machine:

Gigabyte P55-UD4L
Core i5-750
8GB DDR3

I also have a Radeon 4770, a Radeon 4870 and a Geforce 6800GTS that I can use where appropriate. One of these machines will run OS X, the other will run Linux as a Plex server.

I can get OS X running on the Core 2 Duo machine, but when I try to install on the Core i5 machine, I can get to the first step of the installer, but my keyboard and mouse don't work. I can't find any conclusive method for fixing this problem.

If I put OS X on the Core 2 Duo system, what are the chances that everything will still work if I upgrade the CPU to one of those 12MB cache quad core Xeons using one of those 771-775 sticker adapters? OS X runs on Xeons, so I assume it will be OK?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

enMTW posted:

TonyCrap replaced Chameleon with Clover in his El Cap guides. I'm rewriting some of the guide to reflect that his tools/guides (Multibeast excluded) are actually Pretty Good now. I'll be removing some of the pointlessly complex things and adding build recommendations. Don't worry, I am not ruining what makes the guide great. Just removing some cruft.

The USB issues can be fixed with a DSDT modification. In Clover Configurator, enable all the 'Fix USB' things under DSDT.

When I follow the guide in the OP, the installer crashes before it ever gets to the point where I would even know if USB is working or not. Unibeast allows the installer to load all the way (and finish on ye olde C2D/P45), but I'm not sure how to do all that Clover Configurator stuff with the Unibeast flash drive. In any case, I've decided to use the old machine as my Hackintosh, and it works pretty well except for the lack of sound. I think I maybe need to use an edited DSDT to get that working?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

PBCrunch posted:

I have two old machines. First machine:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.0
Core 2 Duo e6300
8GB DDR2

If I put OS X on the Core 2 Duo system, what are the chances that everything will still work if I upgrade the CPU to one of those 12MB cache quad core Xeons using one of those 771-775 sticker adapters? OS X runs on Xeons, so I assume it will be OK?
The ebay seller gave me a refund on the Xeon that he noticed had a broken capacitor, so I bought a Core 2 Quad 9650, which also has 12MB cache, just with a slightly lower clock speed (and no Xeon street cred). It seems to be working OK.

I have been messing around with two "broken" Core 2 Duo laptops I got for $30*, so I have not tried any further to get the sound working.

*Both laptops were missing power adapters; one worked fine when plugged in with another power adapter I had lying around, the other was fine after I re-seated the RAM.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

What are the chances the Hackintosh community will be able to make Sierra work on Mac Pro 1,1 hardware? I see these these old 1,1 Mac Pros selling for peanuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

Extremely low unless someone writes an SSE4.1 emulator, and fudges it into a boot file, since macOS Sierra uses direct SSE4.1 commands and this instruction set only exists on Penryn-based CPUs and later (Early 2008 Mac Pros.)

netkas says it may be possible, especially if Apple publishes the source code to the Sierra kernel, but I don't know of anyone that nutso to go that far for a 10 year old Mac, let alone Hackintosh rig..

Can you just drop Penryn (Wolfdale) Xeons into a Mac Pro 1,1?