Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Sir Unimaginative posted:

macOS Sierra got announced, and, uh, that looks like that about wraps it up for MacPro3,1.

Netkas already has macOS Sierra beta running on a Mac Pro 3,1 (Early 2008.)

Pardon me whilst I quote myself:

Binary Badger posted:

Netkas already managed to install macOS Sierra on his Early 2008 Mac Pro (3,1).. looks like he had to resort to a bit of trickery to do it, but he also says flashing the Early 2009 (4,1) to Mid 2010 (5,1) works. Also installing Sierra onto a hard drive on a supported machine, then moving it to a 3,1 or 4,1 works too.

The consensus is that you need to install a Broadcom combo WiFi/Bluetooth 4.0 card for most of the fancy schmancy Continuity features to work..

He mentions you can do the install yourself either by using mac os extractor trickery or installing mOSS on a hard drive on a supported machine, then move the drive to the desired unsupported machine. People on MacRumors forums also confirmed that doing the 2009 to 2010 firmware flash works as well, although mOSS will still report the machine as an Early 2009 in About this Mac.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

cbirdsong posted:

Successfully booted after doing these things, but I no longer have a recovery partition?

Recovery partitions have to be created by the OS X installer, in fact in a regular install, it's the first thing the official install script does; it creates the recovery partition from scratch, then copies the contents of a special image onto that partition, then hides that partition.

Cloning the partition bypasses the recovery partition creation; if you want to copy an existing recovery partition, Carbon Copy Cloner will do that for you automagically. I vastly prefer CCC over SD for this exact reason.

Also, CCC will clone a partition and keep a list of files that had bad blocks while SD just quits on the first bad block and tells you to run a data recovery app. Maybe a good way to avoid lawsuits but a lovely way to build a cloning app, IMHO.

Be advised if you are doing an upgrade install, a previous OS recovery disk is not a great idea to have unless it's a sub-point release; a 10.10 recovery partition shouldn't be used to repair a 10.11 system drive..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 20, 2016

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

aeverous posted:

So I'm getting a GTX 1080 in a day or two.

How do i prepare my Hackintosh partition? Currently I'm using a GTX 770 that doesn't need the WebDriver.

Will it be good and usable if I go into Clover Configurator and check nv-disable and run it like that until the updated WebDriver is released? I don't game or do anything graphics intensive while I'm using OSX.

Anything else I should do before I install the new card?

Wait for nVidia to release web drivers that support the 1060/70/80, there's no Mac OS web driver support for them yet.

GTX 770's don't need web drivers because GTX 775M and GTX 780M chips were used in the Late 2013 27-inch iMac, so Apple had to get nVidia to write OEM drivers for them that they folded into their standard MacOS drivers for every OS X revision after 10.8.4.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

PBCrunch posted:

What are the chances the Hackintosh community will be able to make Sierra work on Mac Pro 1,1 hardware? I see these these old 1,1 Mac Pros selling for peanuts.

Extremely low unless someone writes an SSE4.1 emulator, and fudges it into a boot file, since macOS Sierra uses direct SSE4.1 commands and this instruction set only exists on Penryn-based CPUs and later (Early 2008 Mac Pros.)

netkas says it may be possible, especially if Apple publishes the source code to the Sierra kernel, but I don't know of anyone that nutso to go that far for a 10 year old Mac, let alone Hackintosh rig..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Gee, I wonder how long until Apple's lawyers pounce on these guys..

http://hacbook.com

They're offering what looks to be a hybrid MacBook/Pro for only $329.. Looks like an old reconditioned HP laptop tweaked to run macOS..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 29, 2016

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

A lot of glaring errors, too.. Sandy Bridge was in all the Early/Late 2011 MBPs, Early / Late 2013s had Ivy Bridge and Haswell. Late 2013's had 802.11ac, too.

Far as I can tell, it's a modded up HP EliteBook 820 with an SSD premastered with the usual patches.. be interesting if they get Sierra to run on it, that would flip Apple's lid.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Also bear in mind that Apple is now using Metal as the main graphics API in macOS Sierra, deprecating OpenGL.

Metal requires newer GPUs to get the job done.

If you don't have the following GPUs, Sierra may run perceptibly SLOWER than El Capitan did as it will hand off screen drawing to CPU based routines.

nVidia GTX 6xx (preferably 650 and higher)
AMD Radeon HD 7xxx (preferably 7950 and higher)
Intel HD 4000 and higher

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Sasquatch! posted:

Unrelated to Hackintoshing, but where can I read more on this? I have a 2011 Mac Mini with Intel HD 3000 that's still on Yosemite, but if this is true, it sounds like I'd be best off getting it to the latest El Capitan and no further.

Welp, Yosemite is still using OpenGL, Sierra is mostly Metal, here are some links:

https://developer.apple.com/reference/metal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_(API)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205073 (List of Macs that support Metal, your Mini ain't one of them)

Another thing to remember for hackintoshes is that AMD's RX 460's / 470's already have nearly complete internal driver support in Sierra, which means you'll want to eye getting those cards eventually if you want Sierra/Metal support. Apple's got a pretty solid track record in only fully supporting new GPUs during the mid-life of a given OS X, never at initial release. Like certain nVidia cards only got support after 10.8.3.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 24, 2016

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

cbirdsong posted:

Also, Pascal cards seem to still be unsupported. Are modern AMD cards supported? TonyMac doesn't mention any and just recommends old Nvidia cards.

well why not posted:

That's certainly how it looks I think it'll be really interesting to see if the 4xx AMD cards get drivers. A hackintosh with a 480 would be a damned good time.

Users on MacRumors claim they've already been running fairly stable on RX 470/480 cards and OS X 10.12.1 for some time now.. OpenGL works, OpenCL does as well, all without EFI flashing so far.

nVidia just updated CUDA to be Sierra and El Capitan compatible, so the outlook for Pascal cards is at least hopeful. Dunno why they would update CUDA if they weren't working on something.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Did you disable SIP and do the framebuffer mod to enable better RX 470 compatibility with Sierra? You might see improvements if you did this.

Search on either Netkas or MacRumors forums for the steps.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

There's 1070 support in Windows, but nVidia has yet to release any Pascal based drivers for Mac OS X.

And since there are no nVidia GPUs in any currently shipping Macs, you won't get any support in El Capitan or Sierra either.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Apple only ever used either Broadcom or Atheros wireless chips in their Macs, so no OS X ever supported any other wireless hardware without third party written drivers.

RealTek and Ralink are the only wireless vendors I currently know who have bothered to write Mac drivers for their wireless hardware.

Only Intel networking hardware that works on Mac PCIe is a PCIe Gigabit Ethernet card.. and even then only with drivers supplied by a third party.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 20, 2016

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

That security update is a special patch that fixes a bug where the goddamn kernel crashes under specific conditions- a perfect example of how Apple just doesn't give much of a poo poo anymore, or does depending on your point of view.

It's so pervasive that they had to rewrite, what, 700MB of code?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Can understand why you're upset, but you really should look at nVidia's Mac web driver development current state as a blessing for several reasons:

1) There isn't a single nVidia product in any currently selling Mac desktop or laptop. What's in it for them?

2) Also pretty sure the market for Mac aftermarket video cards is not significant enough for them to bother unless Apple is still paying them to maintain drivers for legacy hardware in the new OSes.

3) nVidia still regularly updates pre-Pascal video card Mac drivers _and_ CUDA for two OSes, El Capitan and Sierra. Why? Perhaps for the reason cited above, or they're just biding their time keeping ready until Apple does someday decide to slap nVidia chips back into their products.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

dont be mean to me posted:

That's a fair justification for why nVidia isn't down for it, but I don't see anything that qualifies as a blessing there.

The blessing is that nVidia still bothers to update web drivers for a system they have no financial stake, currently selling hardware for (at least with Apple's blessing,) or profit from.

Programmers gots to get paid to write drivers.

There's (probably) no money coming from Apple to pay them, nVidia may either have projects in the loop for Apple or an existing maintenance contract to update Sierra drivers for legacy hardware, or there's a kind-hearted engineer creating the web drivers.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The web driver must be exactly matched to the revision of Sierra you are running or it will not work.

If you google "nVidia WebDriver Updater" real hard, you should be able to download (might need to register on InsanelyMac Forums) a program that automatically figures what Mac web driver to download and offers to install it for you.

For Sierra, I'm using nVidia driver 367.15.10.35f01 which seems to be working fine, it's doing CUDA number crunching as we speak so I know it works under 10.12.3 and a Mac Pro Early 2008.

BTW, dunno if this might help you, but here's a patch to allow Sierra to be installed on an unsupported Mac:

http://dosdude1.com/sierrapatch.html

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

RX 470 and 480 have the same card ID, there's already a guide on how to enable full acceleration and compute units linked on MacRumors with appropriate kext edits and of course disabling SIP. Noted that for OSes past 10.12.3 you will have to use the command line version of softwareupgrade.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

oohhboy posted:

Everyone should test out if their Nvidia card is now OOTB for Sierra. Maybe the 10xx series has been silently supported.

There's a legion of nVidia fans on MacRumors.com that would shout it out to the world if this happened, but nope, nothing above the 980 has yet to get support.

660-680s, 750-780's will very likely be OOTB compliant as the mobile versions are in several previously shipped iMacs (Late 2012 and 2013)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

nerdrum posted:

Hey guys, question about doing a build:

Dell S2417DG G-Sync Monitor at 165hz
6600k at 4.7ghz h110i cooler
eVGA GTX 1080 SC
16GB 2666 Viper DDR 4
D-Link DWA-566 PciE N300 Dual Band WiFi Card

Can I run with the integrated 530 graphics with the Display port going to the 1080 for Windows and an HDMI going to the 530 for Sierra? Will the Refresh rate be capped at 60hz or will the build be able to recognize the refresh rate on integrated graphics?

Sierra glitches with the Intel 530 unless you apply this fix.

Barring some miracle out of left field, there will most likely never be any Pascal / 10x0 Mac web drivers.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yep, the Titan Xp (their capitalization, not mine) is shipping supposedly

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/04/06/nvidia-reveals-mac-pro-compatible-titan-xp-pci-e-gpu-macos-drivers-for-pascal-based-video-cards

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://9to5mac.com/2017/04/06/nvidia-titan-xp-beta-pascal-drivers-mac/

9to5 Mac posted:

We have reached out to Nvidia for a statement about compatibility down the line with lesser 10-series cards, and I’m happy to report that Nvidia states that all Pascal-based GPUs will be Mac-enabled via upcoming drivers. This means that you will be able to use a GTX 1080, for instance, on a Mac system via an eGPU setup, or with a Hackintosh build. Exciting times, indeed.

Rejoice, for ye shall be able to run 1070 / 1080s in your Hackintoshes / cheesegrater MP's with the same Mac web drivers!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

:siren: If anyone cares, beta Mac Pascal drivers are here: :siren:

https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/378/WebDriver-378.05.05.05f01.pkg

Edit: SIERRA ONLY, El Capitan users hosed right out of the gate. Oh well.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 11, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

eightysixed posted:

Wait, iMessage works now? I could never get it to work, which is actually why I ended up scrubbing the hackintosh :saddowns:

Works for El Capitan/Sierra only, illustrated guide here: http://www.fitzweekly.com/2016/02/hackintosh-imessage-tutorial.html?m=1

It involves generating a 'fake' serial number for your hackintosh..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well I said screw it and updated to the beta of Mojave on my hack. I'll be damned. Smoothest upgrade ever.

(Unlike the nightmare of High Seirra)

Did you get converted to APFS? Only trading one nightmare for another IMHO.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yup, nVidia said it takes 2-3 weeks for them to get a driver for a major macOS release and 2-3 days for point releases.

Contingent on the release is approval from Apple.

Makes me wonder that there's some hapless low-level engineer at Apple who still has to keep a couple of iMac 2013/Mac Pro 2012s running just to be able to test those drivers.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

And since no Macs that support Mojave shipped with Nvidia, there's no reason for Apple to sign it.

Uh, the Late 2013 iMacs (21.5 and 27-inch) shipped with nVidia GTX 775M and 780M GPUs, and they support Mojave, though they're likely only running drivers tweaked by Apple themselves for compatibility.

I believe it's more accurate to say no Mac that Apple is currently selling ships with nVidia chips, so they can sit on it all they want.

They definitely don't give enough of a poo poo about the relatively small community that's still using PCIe-capable Macs.

Somewhere down the line, Apple might even give the finger to AMD/ATI as well, if their work on their own integrated GPU in the A12+ series bears enough fruit.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BobHoward posted:

Boot Camp is getting tougher to support properly as Apple departs more and more from standard PC motherboard architecture, and Apple doesn’t seem to have much enthusiasm for it. At some point they may decide that virtualization is good enough for use cases like your uncle’s.

Don't think they have any choice if they are going to ARM like everyone thinks they will.

Somewhat related, those clever folks in the MacRumors forums discovered that during a Windows 10 install on Boot Camp, that Windows 10 actually writes a certificate into the EPROMs that normally hold the Mac's BootROM. Not sure how long Apple will hold the door open for that as that could potentially be an infection vector.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

What was the reasoning for this?

Most likely for licensing purposes.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

~Coxy posted:

Does Nvidia 680 still work under Mojave, given that it used to have its own driven already in OS X and didn't rely on Web Driver?

Yes it does as I have an original EVGA GTX 680 Mac Edition running under Mojave.

Apple seems to have made the Mojave installer slightly more forgiving with the latest 10.14.3 installer; was able to get a 5,1 running with a GTX 770 pulled from an old Windows machine.

I had tried with the original 10.14.0 installer and it just LOL'ed and said no Metal card found.

BTW, for Mac Pro 5,1 and 4,1 flashed to 5,1 owners, it's important to remember:

The full installer for 10.13.6 flashes your BootROM to 138.0.0.0, which fixes an important bug in previous firmware, where if you have an ATI / AMD GPU it will only run at 2.5 GT/sec unless you remove an undocumented resistor from the card. With 138.0.0.0 ATI/AMD GPUs run at full 5 GT/sec regardless of mods. 138.0.0.0 also adds the ability to boot from APFS containers.

The full installer for 10.14+ flashes your BootROM up from 138.0.0.0 to 140.0.0.0, which adds the NVMe driver from the 6,1 firmware, allowing you to boot the Mac Pro 5,1 from an internal NVMe SSD placed on a PCIe carrier card.

BootROM 141.0.0.0 is being shipped with betas of 10.14.4, but as to date nobody knows what the changes OR benefits are yet, security patches I would assume.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

macOS has drivers for mostly Broadcom / Atheros chipsets, more Broadcom than Atheros though (because guess what, that's what Apple shoves into their machines except for the most recent ones.) Others like Ralink are supported by third party macOS drivers.

There's zero support for Intel WiFi cards because Apple doesn't use them as a wifi vendor.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Broadcom based chipset (BCM) so it ought to work.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Also doesn't help that starting with El Capitan, Apple forgot how to write a proper USB stack. Starting with somewhere in 10.11.2 or so it became an absolute nightmare that only got a bandaid fix by Sierra and never recovered.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Wait until 10.15.2 final?

Someone on MacRumors said a PRAM reset helped with slow 5700 performance.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

HDMI audio better compatibility on AMD's and usually works if card manufacturer uses something close to reference card design.

Doesn't help that AMD is still feeling its way with 5600/5700/XT cards, they have the potential to have more bang for the buck than the 580s but they are slow in optimizing the drivers on the Mac side.

An RX 580 is playing it safe as most seem to be Mac compatible, but they're cheaper today for a reason

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Mojave 4 lyfe, then? At least it's still getting security updates if the point updates are frozen forever.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It's also about a bunch of Mac developers that are too lazy to recompile their code with the 64 bit flag enabled, or worse unwilling to rewrite their code so that it will work for 64-bit instead of 32-bit operation.

Particularly nasty are all the printer/scanner Mac drivers stuck at 32-bit; since a lot of those drivers are programmed by third party developers, a lot of vendors aren't going to spend the money to go back to those guys and tell them to make 64-bit versions, especially for devices 3 years old or more.. unless a vendor realizes they have a customer base in full revolt, they're either not going to lift a finger (saves money) or just tell people to buy the latest version of their doodad (makes money.)

Not to white knight Apple too far, but they did tell all their developers months ago to get ready for 64-bit or have their products blow up in their faces..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

JnnyThndrs posted:

I have a question that perhaps this thread can answer - I’m updating a couple of my Hacks to High Sierra and am wondering what the best used video card is in terms of compatibility. I have been using Nvidia, but since the web drivers aren’t being refreshed anymore(and they always seem a bit janky), I’m looking at AMD.

I'm afraid you're wrong on the refresh part; nVidia just released new web drivers for High Sierra Security Update 2020-001. Can't speak to the janky part as I'm still using a generic GTX 770 2GB in HS and an EVGA Mac Edition GTX 680 under Mojave on two older Mac Pros 4,1 flashed to 5,1 with no real issues (but I don't game on them.)

quote:

I’d like to spend about $100-$150 for each card, and my primary objective is to keep the install as vanilla as possible, with OOB compatibility being preferred. I’ve been looking at RX480/580 8gb cards - are there any particular models that have issues or any models THAT JUST WORK? Or should I be looking at a different card?

It's always best to get AMD cards that are as close to reference cards as possible; Gigabyte and XFX are baaaaad brands for this IMHO.

Apple themselves recommend Sapphire Radeon Pulse 580s, new they're at sub-$200 levels, and they're considered the go-to card for actual Mac Pro 5,1s and yes they just work OOTB, no need to do any of that ROM flashing or undervolting poo poo.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Should stick with Mojave, all Catalina will do is make you wait for Mac vendors to upgrade all their software to 64-bit, which for some packages ain't never gonna happen.

There's already one financial software vendor with a popular Mac app who says they tried a mighty effort to upgrade their 32-bit program to 64-bit but just couldn't do it (or their eyeballs fell out ah--ooogah style when they saw how much they'd have to pay the software architects to do the upgrade.)

Mojave is at least still receiving security updates and is fairly stable; Catalina is like a Jenga game being played during intermittent earthquake activity, you don't know when it'll suddenly collapse / seize up for whatever reason.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

OpenCore rules, finally I can play Netflix in Safari and get hardware acceleration on my 5,1 enough so 4K vids in Google Chrome run smooth as butter with only slight buffering with my Pulse 580 Nitro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Crunchy Black posted:

This isn't *really* hackintoshy but I figured this would be the most knowledgable place to ask, am I going to nuke my install on my 3,1 if I let it upgrade to Catalina? SSD, 32GB RAM, APFS (non-encrypted).

What's on there right now? You should just download dosdude1's Catalina patcher which will create and patch a USB installer for you and do a clean install by booting from that USB it creates.