Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I love the way the old man waves a flag in the futile hope that the train will stop on a dime.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jippa posted:

If you understood how horrific a death from cancer of the liver is, I would say his "crimes" pail into insignificance. I'd prefer to be tortured and killed by ISIS than that.
I love that people are getting so mad over laughing at a guy being an rear end in a top hat then getting hit by the same thing he was an rear end in a top hat about. Had it been anything but cancer I'm sure everyone else would be cracking up over it. The comedy is you.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Nuebot posted:

I love that people are getting so mad over laughing at a guy being an rear end in a top hat then getting hit by the same thing he was an rear end in a top hat about. Had it been anything butt cancer I'm sure everyone else would be cracking up over it. The comedy is you.

:colbert: A missed opportunity.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBlgN85wB6U

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

I see nothing wrong with this.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I am a Michigan State fan so this is the highest level of 'freude I have ever achieved.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

I am a Michigan State fan so this is the highest level of 'freude I have ever achieved.

I'm not really invested in either one (just knew it would be a good game to watch), and my jaw dropped when that happened. Michigan had it sewn up and there was really no way they could lose. And then they did.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

drat, Michigan managed to snatch defeat from the yawning jaws of victory.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Double freude: the guy who ran it in injured his hip when all his teammates dogpiled on him in celebration. He left the game on a stretcher :laugh:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

Measly Twerp posted:

I see nothing wrong with this.

I'm sure Stevie Wonder doesn't either.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Eukodol posted:

Dude can loving see for real

First Tube
Apr 25, 2010

From this day on I'd have to fight these forces of darkness and deal with the burden of day to day admin.

Eukodol posted:

Here lets help him out.

:effort:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
More Michigan.

Not even sure if it's freude. But I can't stop watching.

https://vine.co/v/e9bJ23p1E0B

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

First Tube posted:

Here lets help him out.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

First Tube posted:

Here lets help him out.

real loss of an opportunity here.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

KoRMaK posted:

real loss of an opportunity here.

[img-loss.jpg]

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

More football schadenfreude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqJbLDu9l2Q Start at 6:30.

Saskatchewan wins, then loses, the 97th Grey Cup in 2009.

edit: yeah i hosed up the link before

XYZ has a new favorite as of 13:58 on Oct 18, 2015

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

XYZ posted:

More football schadenfreude:

https://www.youtube.com/aqJbLDu9l2Q?t=6m30s

Saskatchewan wins, then loses, the 97th Grey Cup in 2009.

'freude is mine (or yours). Link is a 404.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Tony Phillips posted:

More Michigan.

Not even sure if it's freude. But I can't stop watching.

https://vine.co/v/e9bJ23p1E0B

A fan apparently had a heart attack after that game.

Fan Has Heart Attack In The Big House Following Last Play Of Michigan-Michigan State Game.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hope the dude is OK.

That being said:
http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/10/17/michigan-fans-fight-burn-couches-after-heartbreaking-loss-to-rival-spartans-photos/

quote:

There's a couch on fire at Vaughn and Packard.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Yeah, he was reported to be in stable condition at the hospital. Heart attacks aren't funny but people getting so incredibly wrapped up in sports games that they sob in a bathroom after a loss or whatever are really satisfying to hear about. It's a loving game.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Imagined has a new favorite as of 05:49 on Oct 18, 2015

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Saving this for a million future anime threads

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
My favorite part of the Michigan/MSU video is how the entire stadium is just standing still, completely shocked.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

cryptoclastic posted:

My favorite part of the Michigan/MSU video is how the entire stadium is just standing still, completely shocked.

And there's this

ESPN posted:

As Watts-Jackson lay on a maize "M" in the end zone, his teammates piled above him, he dislocated his hip in the ruckus. He was later carted off the field and taken to a hospital, barely getting a glimpse of the scene he set off.

No one will soon forget it.

A fan at Michigan Stadium had a heart attack on the final play of the game. Paramedics told ESPN that they transported the man to the hospital in stable condition.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

cryptoclastic posted:

All the Michigan fans are shocked. All the MSU ones are pretty happy.

And it was a good game. I can't see how anybody really left upset. That's the kind of stuff you pay tickets for. Heck, I can even give the guy who had a heart attack credit because it just came down to the wire.

The hip dislocation, however, is funny. I hope the player is okay but holy poo poo, that's a hell of a way to celebrate a game-winning touchdown. Thanks team.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I live in the same county as U of M and care not a goddamn bit about Handegg. Every year people lose their goddamn minds over this particular game. Like, people in the same house won't even talk to each other, and like all anyone can say for like a month in advance is "that big U of M/MSU game is coming up!" even when they don't like sports. My dad's one of those die-hard U of M fans and he went to a completely unrelated college. I just don't get the fervor.

And people are laughing about stuff like the single burning couch in Ann Arbor, but you know if the tables were turned and U of M pulled off a clutch last second victory over state that the people up in Lansing would be going positively psychotic in comparison. And all the State fans would treat it with "boys will be boys" kid gloves. Another thing I totally don't get about the sportsball mania.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Try living in Columbus, OH during this time of year. Thank gently caress I'm not in retail now, where I was like, 5 miles from OSU's stadium.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I don't mind sports and I follow a few myself, but I don't get the fervor over college football. And I don't mean, "I'm a nerdy goon that doesn't get sports." I mean college football is a loving joke and I don't understand why anyone takes it seriously. This is a level of football where lovely players like Tim Tebow and Johnny Manziel could put up 500 yards per game. It's garbage football. Why does anyone care about this when there's better (i.e. pro) football being played all over the country?

I'm sorry in advance if I piss off any college football fans out there. I just don't understand it. The Michigan/MSU schadenfreude is pretty self-evident, though. That's some good stuff.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://gfycat.com/ThornyCostlyBellsnake

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

I live in the same county as U of M and care not a goddamn bit about Handegg. Every year people lose their goddamn minds over this particular game. Like, people in the same house won't even talk to each other, and like all anyone can say for like a month in advance is "that big U of M/MSU game is coming up!" even when they don't like sports. My dad's one of those die-hard U of M fans and he went to a completely unrelated college. I just don't get the fervor.

And people are laughing about stuff like the single burning couch in Ann Arbor, but you know if the tables were turned and U of M pulled off a clutch last second victory over state that the people up in Lansing would be going positively psychotic in comparison. And all the State fans would treat it with "boys will be boys" kid gloves. Another thing I totally don't get about the sportsball mania.

Shut up, nerd. Also people made a big deal out of the couch because East Lansing is so often made fun of for those kinds of shenanigans, so it's funny to see Michigan fans pull the same poo poo.

Railing Kill posted:

I don't mind sports and I follow a few myself, but I don't get the fervor over college football. And I don't mean, "I'm a nerdy goon that doesn't get sports." I mean college football is a loving joke and I don't understand why anyone takes it seriously. This is a level of football where lovely players like Tim Tebow and Johnny Manziel could put up 500 yards per game. It's garbage football. Why does anyone care about this when there's better (i.e. pro) football being played all over the country?

I'm sorry in advance if I piss off any college football fans out there. I just don't understand it. The Michigan/MSU schadenfreude is pretty self-evident, though. That's some good stuff.

Because amazing poo poo like this happens and the NFL is utterly boring much of the time. I could go into more detail but I don't want to derail the thread, so I'll just say that I've been following both for most of my life and I would rather watch a Tuesday night MAC game than your average NFL game between teams that aren't mine (and since my team is the Lions I might even scratch that caveat).

More related freude: A Grand Rapids station did a live report that Michigan had won: http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/local-news-delivers-entire-report-on-michigan-beating-m-1737161749#_ga=1.47354467.593172921.1419523315

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Railing Kill posted:

The only reason college football is as big/insane/out-of-control as it is is because unlike other professional sports, the NFL does not have any sort of developmental league. This is it.

Also, clearly you've not seen the insanity that is high school football. That's where things are truly frightening.

Zamboni Rodeo has a new favorite as of 15:24 on Oct 18, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

The only reason college football is as big/insane/out-of-control as it is is because unlike other professional sports, the NFL does not have any sort of developmental league. This is it.
And a lot of the most fervent college fanbases are in areas with no pro sports presence--Alabama, Nebraska and Oklahoma come to mind--or where the college teams had already established themselves before the pros got there.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Shut up, nerd. Also people made a big deal out of the couch because East Lansing is so often made fun of for those kinds of shenanigans, so it's funny to see Michigan fans pull the same poo poo.

Because amazing poo poo like this happens and the NFL is utterly boring much of the time. I could go into more detail but I don't want to derail the thread, so I'll just say that I've been following both for most of my life and I would rather watch a Tuesday night MAC game than your average NFL game between teams that aren't mine (and since my team is the Lions I might even scratch that caveat).

More related freude: A Grand Rapids station did a live report that Michigan had won: http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/local-news-delivers-entire-report-on-michigan-beating-m-1737161749#_ga=1.47354467.593172921.1419523315

All joking aside, if my team were the Lions, I'd be bitter about the NFL too. Then again, I think football is kind of boring in general, and I care more about baseball, basketball, and hockey.

And a lot of the most fervent college fanbases are in areas with no pro sports presence--Alabama, Nebraska and Oklahoma come to mind--or where the college teams had already established themselves before the pros got there.

This is probably it. The southeast U.S., where football is most popular, has perpetually lovely and/or Johnny-come-lately teams (Jags, Bucs, Panthers, Saints, Dolphins, Titans, etc.). If I lived in the SE, I'd probably care about football more, and I'd probably rather root for a college team.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
When Indiana University fired Bobby Knight, there were mass riots happening around the stadium. I knew one of the cops who was there. He was sent to keep an eye on the president's house (it's in the center of campus, no fences or anything). Just as he was arriving, they got word that several hundred rioters had left the stadium and were headed their way.

There were fewer than 10 cops. He showed up and asked who the ranking officer was. They said, "you are."

As the rioters came into view, he told them to fall into formation. At the last moment, he yelled "charge!" and they ran towards the mob.

The mob turned and ran away.

He still can't believe it worked.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place