Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

wayfinder posted:

Cirque Désolé

I don't get it. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Felix_Cat posted:

Will these people ever learn that the courts do not give a poo poo about their fantasy world?

What a fool, the bond check on his berth certificate obviously needed to be printed in the official Admiralty font! :smug:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

True. And that twist ending? Saw that coming a mile away. "God Did It", pfft, typical pulp trash.

Yeah, you have to admit the ending was a bit of a deus ex machina.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Many European countries have a state-run channel(s). They're usually partially paid for by a national TV license. Basically anybody who owns a TV in the country pays the state X money every year, and those money are used to support the state channel. They can't tell though, OP. You can have a TV and just say you don't if the license dudes show up. At least in Scandinavia they don't have the right to enter your house.

Do those TV-detector vans actually detect anything, or are they purely for show?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

From the bitcoin thread:

mrmcd posted:

Hilarious little tidbit in a NYT article about the Shkreli debacle:

Finally, he and Mr. Greebel inappropriately routed money from Retrophin “in an effort to satisfy Shkreli’s personal and unrelated professional debts and obligations,” the indictment said. Mr. Greebel was the lead outside counsel to Retrophin from 2012 to 2014, when he was a partner at Katten Muchin Rosenman. His name appears on many of the Retrophin filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Mr. Shkreli has said in earlier interviews that the Retrophin allegations were false and merely a way for the company to avoid paying him severance.

Mr. Greebel joined Kaye Scholer this summer from Katten Muchin Rosenman.

In recent years, Mr. Greebel had built expertise working with Bitcoin, the digital currency. He is listed on filings with the S.E.C. as one of the outside lawyers working on the Winklevoss Bitcoin Trust, the publicly traded Bitcoin investment vehicle that Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss have talked about starting.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/12/18/business/shkreli-fraud-charges.html

Ponzi scheme douchbag's crooked lawyer also involved in bitcoin schemes. :allears:

I knew it. As soon as I heard "massive financial fraud" combined with "massive fuckups" combined with "complete rear end in a top hat", I just KNEW bitcoins were going to factor into it one way or another.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Crossposting from the meme thread, of all places:

dumb. posted:

Rough time for this guy.

e: Aw man, it's fake. The schadenfreude is me.

Powered Descent has a new favorite as of 22:54 on Jan 11, 2016

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Good to know I'm not the only one with an rear end in a top hat dentist then. When i had to have a tooth out as a kid, fucker put the novacaine on the wrong side of my mouth. Even if he hadn't, it wouldn't have had time to numb a goddamn thing; as soon as he put the needle down, up came the pliers.

Parents never did understand why I hated him. :arghfist::downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOtMizMQ6oM

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Nuebot posted:

Deer are actually kind of terrifying. But since it's deer it's always kind of hilarious when they gently caress up someone's day. I have family who live in the middle of loving nowhere and like once a year the deer just take over their lovely little town and there's not much anyone can do because if you try to shoot them they go nuts and have a deer riot to try and protect their little deer babies and do a lot of property damage. So you just drive through the town and there are deer everywhere watching you.

Is "deer" the new dogwhistle term? I haven't been keeping up with Freep lately.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Remember Talia, the starving Yelp girl from the other day? This whole thing is escalating into a wonderful slapfight.

Her detractors have dug up some of her recent tweets that don't seem quite consistent with starving to death on rice:

Another detractor has written an open letter to her (consisting mostly of "Bootstraps!" arguments). Opinion pieces are starting to appear on the same theme.

Meanwhile, she seems to have gotten word from one of her ex-coworkers that the tide of opinion among Yelp customers is solidly on her side:

Perhaps biggest of all, one of her supporters has set up a GoFundMe for her. The comments on the GoFundMe are stuffed full of people telling her what an entitled little poo poo she is... and now they're getting extra indignant about how much money she's raked in so far:

I don't care whose side you're on, this is getting fun. :munch:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

FAROOQ posted:

College educated white girls who move to san fransisco for customer service work deserve the worst possible interpretation of their actions and intents.

Personally I find something to dislike on both sides.

Strictly speaking, Talia's detractors are right -- she waltzed right into an obviously-impossible situation and was shocked when it somehow didn't work out. But they're being the screechiest bunch of assholes I've seen in a long time (and I follow politics), and they're acting like they never made a naive mistake when they were fresh out of college.

As for Talia herself, it sucks that she landed in that hard-to-get-out-of situation, and I actually hope her newfound Internet fame leads her to something better. But at the same time, I can only laugh at how quickly she glossed over the fact that her evil greedy CEO was giving her free health insurance as a job benefit, and how surprised she was that the company might want her to do the job they actually hired her for (for like a whole YEAR!) before they promote her to her dream job. And I still don't know what she wanted the CEO to actually DO about any of this. Her only real complaint against the company seemed to be "your office is in an expensive city".

So yeah, I don't really have a dog in this race, I'm just enjoying the slapfight. v:shobon:v

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I'm incredibly loving poor and bread is not any sort of luxury. I just had to say that cause I'm sick of this poo poo

I'm on a diet and going for high protein and bread is kind of a luxury. :buddy:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

mostlygray posted:

Really irritating. I have to ask my wife what color my shirt is and I dress my kids like clowns. I bought a pink shirt once that I swear was white. I have to ask my co-workers what color a thing is and have a huge amount of trouble mixing colors of paint. I have to do it by the numbers and labels. It's not that I see black and white. I'm excellent at yellow, but orange starts getting inconsistent and and red and green look almost the same. In my mind there is a single color called Blue-Purple and I don't differentiate.

The messed up thing is that I have a 4 year degree in graphic design and illustration. I spent the whole time saying "what color is this".

Serious question -- it's 2016, aren't there any smartphone apps that do this? Point your phone's camera at a shirt or a swatch of paint and it'll tell you if it's "hot pink" or "mint green" or whatever.

If there aren't any apps for this, then hey you, the aspiring app developer reading this thread! There's a world of color blind people out there that would probably pay a few bucks for that.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/DVxhNfu.webm

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I take no freude in this schaden. Unless it's the other way around. Whichever one is the sad one.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The schadenfreude is on the makers of Sprite and Dr. Pepper, whose chance at free advertising was thwarted by someone with a blur tool.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Aerdan posted:

The situation in Flint is bad, but Snyder got wrecked twice at the Congressional hearing about it yesterday:

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc-quick-cuts/watch/rep-cartwright-i-ve-had-enough-of-your-false-contrition-646551107743 ("Plausible deniability only works when it's plausible.")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgvheyplmrc

Additional schadenfreude can be had from the video uploader inexplicably adding in hiphop music over parts of the speech, and all the comments calling him out on it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Suddenly I'm picturing a ham radio whip antenna or something that's just tall enough to trip the height sensor and start the waterfall... and it's mounted on a speeding convertible...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The linked story about the trucker that died due to one of those says he slammed on his brakes and stopped, but the steel beams he was carrying kept going forward and went through the cab. That's a Dead Like Me style death.

Too bad he wasn't carrying jet fuel too. They'd have canceled each other out.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

18 Character Limit posted:

Utterly unsurprised posts start with Eve Online.

I love how utterly astonished he is that Goonswarm didn't turn out to be the entire focus and purpose of Something Awful. It's like someone once saw his home team play the Mets, so he turns up in New York City and is surprised to find other things going on besides Mets games.

And then joins a random conversation on the sidewalk and delivers a bizarre misogynistic rant. :stare:

e:
This is wonderful.

Powered Descent has a new favorite as of 17:21 on May 3, 2016

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

What makes an elf dong different than any other dong?

Wow, is it Dong Passover already? Time flies.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Panfilo posted:

I mean at some point they have to. I imagine they take as many precautions as possible; I believe their range consists of a trench surrounding the trainer and trainee (think of the outline of a T) and they are supposed to throw the grenade over a wall. So 95% of the places it'll land you're protected by a wall of dirt. But people being :downs: I'm sure there's a fair share of close calls.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

wayfinder posted:

Yeah.. I want this design, from this photo. Thanks

My thought process: "Yeah, the Penguin's face is kind of off, and I don't know why the Riddler is green. But it's clearly still unfinished, and by lovely tattoo standards it's really not all that-- ...Wait... is that... AHAHAHAHAHAHA"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Last year I was in a bicycle crash. I went over the bars and took a direct head impact. I woke up as they were loading me into the ambulance. Looking back at the day or so after the crash, I felt normal at the time but I clearly wasn't quite entirely there, in hindsight. My brain was still rebooting. When I went back to work the next week, I asked my co-workers to please tell me if I seemed... diminished. Or even just different, in a Regarding Henry sort of way. (It turned out I was fine in the long run. Or at least, if I've been rendered newly retarded, no one has had the guts to tell me so.) Although it turned out okay in the end, that concussion was one of the top ten significant events in my life.

Just by eyeballing this video, her head impact was as bad or worse than mine. And I was wearing a bike helmet, and so I had an inch of styrofoam around my skull that absorbed a big chunk of the impact energy.

I hope she's okay. :ohdear:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Nebrilos posted:

Source: I was talking to a man who owned a boat three days ago.

Tell him congratulations on selling his boat.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Themata posted:

This was from a few pages back but:
?
or maybe
?

:stonk: What is that man doing to that poor tribble?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bates posted:

The Cleveland Browns is to American Football what England is to soccer. Got it.

As a Chicagoan, I'd like to thank the Cleveland Browns for becoming the new "sports team everyone thinks of when they think of a team that can't ever possibly win anything". The Cubs wore that mantle for way too long.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Decrepus posted:

When will Mannequin Man return with more mannequins in an effort to become internet famous?

I don't know, that didn't turn out so well for Kevin Havens.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

GWBBQ posted:

Flat earthers say that eclipses are caused by the antimoon, not the earth's shadow.

Q: What element is the anti-moon made of?
A: Antimoony!

:dadjoke:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Rough Lobster posted:

I can't fault the cops for putting the guy on his face when we walks in looking like a loving bank robber.

The guy who posted that video (a different guy than is IN the video) has decided to make the worst, most offensive analogy possible, on exactly that topic. (Watch to the end.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siEK0iIFM10

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Nuebot posted:

What is it with orange cats? Every story I've heard of a strange cat just wandering into someone's house and sleeping on their bed, and the one time it happened to me, has been an orange cat. What on earth instills that compulsion into them?

An orange neighbor cat once crashed a big Halloween party I was throwing. It was a warm enough night that we left the back door open, and he just wandered in, made himself at home, and accepted pettings and head-scritches from all the partygoers. (He didn't try to move in though; he left when the party wound down.)

The next day I brought my own cat home (I'd left him with my mom for the evening), and after he'd sniffed around a bit, he was furious with me, I guess for cheating on him with another cat. Didn't speak to me for days.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Gounads posted:

You can jump backwards with a non-kinged checker?

Solice Kirsk posted:

I thought only kings could jump backwards?

I wondered about that too so I looked it up. Apparently there are a bunch of different checkers variants out there. Judging by the weird 10x10 board, this one is International draughts, which does allow backward captures.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Stoatbringer posted:

I think most people would have given up by 350,000.

From the sound of it, I would guess he was just letting some script run all the time, probably trying to brute-force a password.

The really funny part is that even while he was committing a computer crime against some of the most powerful people in the country, something that would certainly get his computers seized as step one if they ever caught on, he apparently didn't bother to hide or encrypt the most radioactively illegal thing you could possibly imagine having on a computer.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I thought jet engines only made that sound if they were flying to the Neighborhood of Make Believe.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Well, no. Judges take a dim view of it.

Law enforcement seemed to be pretty okay with it.

drat. You're absolutely right.

:smith:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

At worst I think it's light treason.

"I have no doubt that perjury qualifies under the Constitution as a high crime. It goes to the heart of the judicial system." -Jeff Sessions, 1998.

Yes, really. Of course, back then he was applying the principle to Bill Clinton, not to himself.

This is going to be fun to watch. :munch:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

skit herre posted:

Plane is Flugzeug -> Flight stuff

Tool is Werkzeug -> Work stuff

Toy is Spielzeug -> Play stuff

Very efficient use of words

e: Vehicle is Fahrzeug -> Driving stuff

Orcs are going to get involved here, I just know it. Zug zug.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Professor of Cats posted:

I hate to be that guy but all these stormtroopers died fairly soon after this.

Tragically, Professor of Cats died while making this post.

:rip:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Serious question, if we have a milgoon in the house. Why do they always throw the grenade with that stiff-armed out-to-the-side maneuver? It looks awkward as hell, not to mention accident-prone. Why not just toss it like a baseball?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

You know, I've got to admit that was a clever maneuver he tried, cutting over right before those traffic poles (or whatever they're called). It would have worked to lose me, I probably wouldn't have been willing to ram through them to keep up the pursuit.