Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Intro Guide
Base Rules
Lost Legion Rules
Shades of Tezla Rules
Getting Vassal Working

Thread 4 - Baby Stomps (Standard Conquest, LL+K, Newbie)
Thread 3 - xXx_Wolfhawk_Sniper_420_xXx (Standard Conquest, LL+K)
Thread 2 - Le Fanatisme ou Goldyx (Volkare Tough/Fair, LL+K)
Thread 1 - I'd Vlaada Be Playing Talisman (Standard Conquest)

What?

Mage Knight is the finest stomp-the-countryside simulator you'll ever see. Bridging an adventure game with a cardbuilding game with a living card game, it's up to the players to land their infamously powerful Evil Generals on the edge of an Atlantean continent, armed only with a deck of 16 cards whose effects range from 'hit poo poo' to 'block poo poo' to 'move my poo poo' to 'buy poo poo'. From there they must build their power, add new cards to their deck and new units to their army, and learn how best to combine efficiency with efficacy in order to ultimately reach the major cities of the region and flatten them into dirt. Lost Legions is the expansion that never should have been an expansion to begin with, an answer to the game's premature release due to financial concerns. It is, in effect, the 'complete' version of the game, adding many more cards and units to the stacks the players already face.

Shades of Tezla goes a little further still, bringing an extra Mage Knight to the fray and setting the players against two opposing factions of death and life, whose scenario culminates in two large-scale battles as the Mage Knights seek to take dominance over the whole continent. And we're going to go gently caress them up. Hopefully.

So what's the plan?
  • This will be a four player cooperative game, using the new Life and Death rules below. In this scenario the Mage Knights must face both the Elementalist forces of the southeast and the Dark Crusade forces to the northwest.
  • As such, PVP is off. You may move into each other's keeps, but being in or adjacent to a conquered keep will only give you a hand size boost based on how many you yourself have taken over.
  • Traditional houserules apply: If your first hand each Round has no Move, you may mulligan it until it does.
  • When deciding your actions, please do as many actions as possible at once in bold. Obviously stop if you need a tile revealed, or an enemy piece - otherwise, try to bundle as much into a single post as possible. I'm only going to be double-checking your moves, rather than providing blow-by-blow feedback.
  • Off-turn posting and COs are allowed. This is obvious, because sometimes you'll have to pick level-up choices or artifacts and plan your cooperative tactics.
  • Audience posting is allowed, as ever.
Recruiting
  • I'm looking for four players. Please indicate your first two choices of Mage Knight, in order, or else I will assume you want a rando.
  • I reserve the right to take a slot myself because I've run four of these loving things, give me a break already. Practically-speaking, this will depend on how many signups I get.
  • Shades of Tezla knowledge is not required - I will explain any expansion items as they come up - but this is apparently quite a hard scenario and I'd prefer people who have played before.
  • Recruitment will be open for 24 hoursish, whereupon selection will be by random draw.
  • I would like players who can check in at least once per day or who are prepared to do COs to cover themselves. The last thread took five months so I think I'm allowed to be a bit antsy.
The Mage Knights
  • Arythea - focuses on spells and red/black mana.
  • Goldyx - focuses on crystal generation.
  • Norowas - focuses on troop use.
  • Tovak - focuses on blocking and not using mana.
  • Wolfhawk - focuses on ranged and movement.
  • Krang - focuses on refreshable skills.
  • Braevelar - focuses on versatility??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Life or Death Rules

Life or Death resembles a game of Standard Conquest, but rather than four cities the players must reach and take down two epic enemies within the three days and nights they have available. The only thing on their side is a lone city still standing in the midst of the chaos.

General Setup
  • Length: Six rounds.
  • Map: Fully Open
  • Tiles: 11 countryside, 4 core, 3 city.
  • Dark Crusader and Elementalist are set to Level 12.
  • A single Dummy player is used, except it picks a random Tactic before the players do.
  • Green, brown and red tokens are replaced with faction-specific versions.
  • When placing rampaging enemies, pick from the Dark Crusader pile for northern map tiles and Elementalist tiles for southern map tiles. If the map tile is placed in the middle of the available space, place a random one. (For our map consisting of five diagonals, this means the two NW-most diagonals will be Dark Crusader, and the two SE ones will be Elementalist. The middle diagonal will be random.)
  • Whenever a Magical Glade is placed, a brown and green token of the appropriate type are placed on it face up. If the tile is a Dark Crusader tile, then the Magical Glade is changed into a Graveyard.
  • Whenever the Green City is placed, it is replaced with the Hidden Valley. Whenever the Red City is placed, it is replaced with the Necropolis. The Green City cannot be placed as a northern map tile and the Red City cannot be placed as a southern map tile. If this would occur, draw and place the next core tile and shuffle the tile back in. If it is the last core tile you may only explore in a location that would be valid.
  • Whenever the other city is placed, it is friendly. Each player receives one shield token on it, but no-one is leader.
During Play
  • Magical Glades and Graveyards can be liberated by entering them from their space as your action for that turn. Fight both enemies. If you do not defeat both, they can be attacked again in a later turn. If you defeat the last enemy, gain +1 Reputation and then either a Spell (if it was a Graveyard) or an Artifact (if it was a Glade). Mark it with your shield token.
  • You must move into the Hidden Valley or Necropolis spaces to assault the leaders; they are not safe spaces. They both have a movement of 2.
  • Magical Glades act as normal, though they do not provide their usual benefit until they have been liberated.
  • Within a Graveyard or Necropolis, night rules apply. If you start your turn on a Graveyard at night, gain a black mana token.
  • Whenever a faction enemy is defeated, you'll pick up a faction token. These may be used as appropriate, or exchanged during interaction for 1 Fame or 3 Influence each.
Faction Leaders
  • A faction leader's Armor and Attack values depend on their level, as shown on the faction leader token. Both leaders are Arcane Immune.
  • Faction leaders come with a number of enemy tokens according to the scenario rules. Faction leaders count as enemy tokens for the purposes of cards such as Flame Wave.
  • Faction leaders are attacked and blocked in a similar way to other enemies. As they are successfully attacked they are reduced in level. Once reduced below level 1 they are defeated.
  • To reduce the faction leader by one level you must make a successful attack by playing a total Attack value equal to or greater than their Armor value. You may reduce a leader by more than one level by playing an Attack value equal to or greater than a multiple of their Armor value, though any reductions will only occur at the end of combat.
  • Faction leaders may be rolled up into other enemies Armor totals: resistances and fortifications are handled in the normal ways.
  • Faction leaders have attacks that must be blocked normally. These attacks will weaken as their level drops. The enemy tokens with them do not change.
  • During cooperative attacks the enemy tokens are allocated as per cities. Players may choose not to attack the faction leader, but will all suffer the faction leader's attacks. Their level only decreases after all players have attacked.
  • If the faction leaders are defeated, any enemy troops will flee, providing no Fame.
  • If both faction leaders are defeated, the players win.
Faction Rewards

Dark Crusader:
  • Vial of Toxin - One source of normal Attack gains +3 (+2 if Ranged, +1 if Siege). This bonus is lost if it becomes an elemental Attack.
  • Vampiric Chalice - After combat this turn, you may discard a Wound for each enemy you defeat (up to 4).
  • Ghostly Elixir - One source of Attack from a single card, regardless of type, becomes Ranged.
  • Staff of Concealment - Move 2. Your movement does not provoke rampaging enemies this turn.
  • Amulet of Reawakening - A card at random from your discard pile is placed on the bottom of your Deed deck. At the end of your turn, draw +1 card.
  • Orb of Twilight - Change one die in the source from a gold to a black, or vice versa.
Elementalist:
  • Healing Herb - Heal 1, or throw away a Wound in your discard pile.
  • Ice Shard - One source of Attack or Block from a single card becomes Ice.
  • Fire Gem - One source of Attack or Block from a single card becomes Fire.
  • Mystical Map - During your movement, reveal a new tile at a distance of up to 3 spaces for 0 Move.
  • Cloak of Shielding - Once, when your Hero is about to be wounded, you may ignore one Wound and any additional effects (Poison, Paralyze, Vampiric).
  • Tome of Relearning - On your turn, when not in combat, swap one of your skills for another in the common offer.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 16, 2015

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Sure, I'm not busy enough.

##Signup for the Tezla Coils, Norowas or The New Guy.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I'll do it

##Signup for Arythea or Goldyx

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

##Signup for Krang or Norowas

berenzen fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Oct 16, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
##Signup for Tovak or Krang

I had constant mana issues in the last game as Norowas, I'd like to give a hero a try that doesn't rely on it so much.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
##Signup for not-Krang

How can I not choose to get rejected for a stelas Mage Knight game?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

##signup: Braevalar, Norowas, random

Stelas, you should play - since it's co-op, abuse of your position should be much less tempting.

why are we using ##, anyway - codenames habit?

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

rchandra posted:

##signup: Braevalar, Norowas, random

Stelas, you should play - since it's co-op, abuse of your position should be much less tempting.

why are we using ##, anyway - codenames habit?

The ## came from mafia votecounting software and spread to random places in TG.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Istvun posted:

The ## came from mafia votecounting software and spread to random places in TG.

It's nice to search a page, I assume that's the origin, but yeah, sprung from PbP mafia games. ##vote, ##unvote, ##kill, etc. People wrote thread parsers to tabulate votes so as to be able to quickly put up a vote total before night hit.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
## SIGN UP, random from whatever is left.

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?
gently caress yes, I've lurked every stelas Mage knight PBP thread and am stoked for this one.

Some day I will learn how to run vassal as quickly as you.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

rchandra posted:

This might happen? But I might get shown up to be poo poo. It's a tough choice!

Trane posted:

Some day I will learn how to run vassal as quickly as you.

I've talked about it elsewhere, but I quietly modify the vassal module so that it changes default zoom levels to my preferred types, and to include the Image Capture Tool on every image I'll want to screenshot. After that I have a ImageMagic shortcut set up in the directory to convert everything to jpg, then another shortcut to move everything but the map to the Dropbox folder. (The downside is that you don't get complete history of everyone's hands turn-by-turn but whoooo caaaares.) After that I just upload the map to imgur, and I'm done.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Signups are closed! Our lucky players, in order:

Gutter Owl as Krang
rchandra as Braevelar
Me! as Arythea
cenotaph as Goldyx

Game will be up in a moment. Also, imgur appears to have increase its image size limit to about 1.5Mb, allowing a slightly finer world map quality.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ROUND 1 BEGINS

The Mage Knights are on a quest to beat up the Dark Crusaders, and the Elementalists. They have three days and three nights; the sun rises on the first day.

Hand links have been PMmed.

The Dummy Player is Tovak. He chooses Rethink.

Please pick tactics in the order Gutter Owl, rchandra, Stelas, cenotaph. As this is a co-op game, please do confer!

Dummy Player (Tovak) - 16 deck.
Krang (Gutter Owl) - 5 hand, 11 deck.
Braevelar (rchandra) - 5 hand, 11 deck.
Arythea (Stelas) - 5 hand, 11 deck.
Goldyx (cenotaph) - 5 hand, 11 deck.
Unit Offer | Fame Tracker | Faction Leaders | Site Reference | Unit Reference (Main) | Unit Reference (Faction)

Stelas fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Oct 17, 2015

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

DIBS ON MONASTERY

or wait

DIBS ON MAGE TOWER?? hmmmm

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I kind of have a tendency to push my reputation to negative and then some, so it would be nice to hurl myself at the Mage Tower and grab Call to Arms. Alternatively I can park my rear end on the mine to the north and make my way to the monastery.

Also, new mechanics: the green enemy to the northwest is sat on a graveyard, which is why there is also a dungeon token next to the space off the map. The tooth it has on it is Vampiric - for every wound it deals in the Assign Damage Phase, it will gain +1 Armor during the Normal Attack phase.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Oh, right, I forgot the dummy. Let me edit that in.

(it's me)

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Wait seriously? You actually let me in again?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Stelas posted:

I kind of have a tendency to push my reputation to negative and then some, so it would be nice to hurl myself at the Mage Tower and grab Call to Arms. Alternatively I can park my rear end on the mine to the north and make my way to the monastery.
Arythea and Call to Arms on turn one is my dream start.

Good luck guys.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

I think I can take that dungeon early, if no one else calls it.

Everyone cool if I take Great Start? I've got a Savage Harvesting in my opening, and I'd like to get some fuel for it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

Wait seriously? You actually let me in again?

Hey I just do what the dice tell me. I even stuck myself on the list and rolled d8.

I can't take anything first turn but my hand's good enough that I don't want to toss anything either. I wouldn't mind Mana Stealing a green or a red.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Actually, poo poo, I'll go head NW for that graveyard. It might take a little bit to gather some ranged but Arythea's got enough in her deck to take that thing out without too much fuss. Then I can pick up Call to Arms and mmmmmmaybe get to cast it as well.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Eagerly awaiting round 3, and Gutter Owl's sudden but inevitable betrayal. :allears:

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

Eagerly awaiting round 3, and Gutter Owl's sudden but inevitable betrayal. :allears:

tag your spoilers. god.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

My hand is kind of middling so I wouldn't mind taking Great Start so I can both get more cards and go after people with actual plans so I don't interfere. Of course if someone can reliably take a high value location by getting two extra cards that would be a better choice.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm hoping rchandra will chime in soon. I'll go ahead and peg my list as Planning, then Mana Steal, then Early Bird in that order.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Great Start.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Thinking Planning, but not entirely sure what I want to do in the opening. Moving to the blue mine would be tempting, except that the monster is only 2 fame. Could use the whole hand to go get Peasants or herbalists from the Village, saving one card via Mana Steal.

e: didn't see Stelas changed preference to planning. I'll take Mana Steal (red) intending to get the guardsmen turn 1 and take them into the maze soon, that's some sort of plan at least.

e2: Or go slower of course, my last couple of games were competitive and I was being squeezed, unable to use all my cards. Need to change mindset back.

rchandra fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 18, 2015

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

rchandra posted:

Moving to the blue mine would be tempting, except that the monster is only 2 fame.

e2: Or go slower of course, my last couple of games were competitive and I was being squeezed, unable to use all my cards. Need to change mindset back.

Two fame and a faction token, though.

Also bear in mind we do have a dummy, rather than just decking ourselves.

Anyway, Early Bird.

(this was an edit: if cenotaph needs cards Planning will help him more than me)

Stelas fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 18, 2015

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Planning

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I will play March and Swiftness and Rage sideways to move 2 NW, then Crystallize the white.

Tovak draws 3 cards.

It is Braevelar's turn!

Arythea (Stelas) - 5 hand, 7 deck.
Dummy Player (Tovak) - 13 deck. 1 red, 2 blue crystals. Remaining cards: 4 red, 3 green, 2 white, 4 blue.
Braevelar (rchandra) - 5 hand, 11 deck.
Unit Offer | Fame Tracker | Faction Leaders | Site Reference | Unit Reference (Main) | Unit Reference (Faction)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

okay cool. If someone could leave a red for me on my turn that would be a++ because then I can kill the dungeon enemy and leave myself with only 1 Wound. Hopefully, ready to immediately kill the other one the turn afterwards.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Slower plan for the round: village, recruit, maze, enter maze-4, keep. That is perhaps optimistic.

March (green die), Promise, Swiftness for Move 7, move to village.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'll cry if you take my baby away from me.

e: Also are you pillaging?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It is Goldyx's turn!

Arythea (Stelas) - 5 hand, 7 deck.
Dummy Player (Tovak) - 13 deck. 1 red, 2 blue crystals. Remaining cards: 4 red, 3 green, 2 white, 4 blue.
Braevelar (rchandra) - 5 hand, 8 deck.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

The pillage choice will have to depend on mana available. I have my Threaten, so if there's red in the source I can pillage this turn and next to assemble a bigger hand for the maze (trying to save the stolen die for then). But if I'm playing two cards to recruit then that no longer makes sense.
And I'm not in a rush for Call to Arms, I can have some fun with Mana Bolt and one of my Storms.

rchandra fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 18, 2015

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

What's the deal with the Blood Demon out in the water?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It and the green token it's next to are both sat on the graveyard I'm heading for. It's easier to do that than try to provide some kind of highlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Okay

March (gold die) and Determination (sideways) for 5 move, move to blue mine.

• Locked thread