Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Recently in the BSS Chat Thread there were some posts about some really neat looking European comics. That got me thinking, there's probably a poo poo ton of books out there that are great that few people even know exist. This thread is where you can change that. I know we're all probably reading some book that the majority of the subforum has never heard of, be it some smaller book from a major publisher like Image or Boom or some 20 year old Alt-History Euro comic that's just been recently translated to English for the first time. This is the thread where you get to try and sell them to a wider audience.

If you want to share a book here give a small write-up of what it's about, why you think more people should be reading it, and provide some pages from it if possible (or at least Google an image of the cover) and post it here. This isn't really a request thread, we have one of those, but if you do see some kind of new book you like and you'd like to find out if anyone knows of similar things that's fine.

Also, this is a Non Big Two thread. Don't post stuff from Marvel or DC. Yes there are overlooked gems in the Big Two, but even that stuff manages to catch a wide audience. We're looking for books you think may have been sorely missing from discussion on this subforum for some reason or another or stuff that people would really have to go out of their way to find.

EDIT: Clarification, don't post main line stuff from Marvel or DC. Yes everyone should read Agents of Atlas but no it doesn't belong in this thread. If you want to post an obscure Epic Comics or Vertigo title that's fine. But Starbrand and Preacher don't fit the definition of obscure in this case. This also extends to well known books from any publisher. For instance with Image, Walking Dead and Saga not only have their own threads but everyone has heard of them. Savage Dragon and Spawn don't have threads but everyone has heard of them too. Nobody around here talks about Invisible Republic, Mythic, Shutter, Wayward, Birthright or many other Image titles. Those are books you can introduce here if you want. If it's really obscure or it's something nobody is talking about and it's not mainstream then it belongs here. If you have any other questions then just shoot.

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Good thread. I'll start us off with an underappreciated favorite of mine:

Elmer by Gerry Alanguilan

Imagine if one day, every chicken on the planet suddenly gained sentience.

That's the simple, disturbing premise behind Elmer, a remarkably serious, thoughtful comic that uses this as a jumping off point to examine everything from animal welfare to institutional racism.

The bulk of the comic takes place a few years later, and chickens have become their own uneasy underclass in society. While many (chickens and humans alike) try to act as normal about the situation as possible, tensions bubble up frequently. How would you feel if just a generation or two earlier, your entire species was rounded up, farmed, and eaten without compunction as a matter of course?

Alanguilan gives the chickens a whole hell of a lot of personality, and the flashbacks to how things used to be (i.e. the world we actually live in) are horrifying.

Highly recommended, emotional, thought provoking stuff.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 17, 2015

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
You'll go broke looking for originals of this series, but it's an absolute delight and there are some collections of it from Dark Horse.

The late 50s - early 60s were an interesting time for superhero comics, but there was one who was far more powerful than all the others. He could punch out Satan, melt Dracula with a glance, travel through time, talk to animals, hobnob with world leaders, make beautiful women swoon with desire, walk on air, and shrug off any attack -- as long as he had a lollipop gripped in one meaty hamfist.

Our Hero, ladies and gentlemen.

Herbie Popnecker was a semi-regular feature in Forgotten Worlds comics, then graduated to his own title which lasted for 23 issues. The stories were filled with deadpan humor, Herbie's Rorschach-esque speech patterns and ridiculous flights of fancy.

Despite his father's inability to see him as anything but a "fat little nothing," Herbie was close to omnipotent, his only restrictions being his own sense of honor (he wouldn't go back on his word, he'd never hit a woman, etc.) He tried out for superhero school once, but failed out, subsequently adopting his own costumed identity in spite of them.

Marvel as Herbie hypnotizes an evil bowling ball, disguises himself as fattening cake, is named an Honorary Ape, becomes a pop star and wins the Revolutionary War. Occasionally he'd take a break and travel to prehistory or to medieval times:

Check it out.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
This thread is cool because i get to talk about my fav cartoonist. check out anything by Micheal Deforge. He is a Toronto based cartoonist from the zine and print side that started making sweet weird and sad comics. I good jumping in point is Ant Colony his first release on D&Q. All of his stuff has trippy day-glo images with melancholy sad themes of growing up or dealing with other people or teenaged feelings.

Ant Colony is his most straight forward narrative work to date about the last days of an ant colony from the point of view of a gay couple, a single father, and a police officer. Most of Deforge's work are short stories and you can see the influence in Ant Colony (As it was originally a collection of short stories swirled together) If you have any interest check out this book as it is one of my favourite comics period.

Also check out his Lose series a yearly anthology series he does where each one is unique and strange and makes you think.

also this

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!

Alone By by Fabien Vehlmann and Bruno Gazzotti

Its the end of the world as we know as they now it and they are anything but fine. In the eerily deserted streets of a city that was thriving with life just yesterday and no memory of the night before, five children band together after everyone vanishes the next day. In a world devoid of adults they have to survive and hope that help is on it's way.

I talked about this book briefly in the chart thread but felt it deserved expanding on. One of my favourite genre's is post-apocalpsye/survival fiction (it's me, *I'M* the one who enjoyed The Postman) and this story has the extra twist of seeing how the most unprepared group of all, scared coddled children, deal with trying to stay alive in an empty world. Its not exactly the same challenges as say a zombie apocalypse or the mad max gangs roaming the land for your bottle caps, in this world there's no long drawn out plague or war, one day people were there and next they just weren't. Everyone has felt that childhood terror of being lost and not knowing where your family is in the supermarket so being one of the last left in an entire city would be understandably even more unsettling and something that's pretty identifiable with.

Our Cast is made of self-proclaimed 'Tinker and engineer' Leila (bottom right), shy Studious Camile (top Right), lonely rich kid with a big imagination Ivan (top left) a spoilt six year old named Terry (bottom left) and their leader the ever practical Dodzi (centre) who before this was living in a care home/orphanage. The kind of care home where you have the snot kicked out of you by much bigger kids, which needless to say has given Dodzi the kind of survivalist edge that the rest of the kids and their softer lifestyle are going to need.

They run the course of doing anything they can to survive to doing anything they want to now they are away from watchful grown up eyes

From escaped circus animals to a Masked Knife wielding maniac there's still plenty of danger to worry about but then there's lingering memories creeping
back about what happened on that mysterious night and the enigmatic 15 families.

There are 4 translated volumes at the moment and 4 more in french that will hopefully be out soon

Alone is published in English by Cinebooks

http://www.cinebook.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4148
http://www.amazon.com/The-Vanishing-Alone-Volume-1/dp/1849181969

• Locked thread