Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Rules thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743898

On a foreign, sandy shore, thousands of miles from the powerful citystate of Achaea and its allies, lies a city.It is a city beloved of many of the gods, filled with untold wealth. Itís name... is Troia. And just recently, it became home to the most beautiful woman in the world - Helen, and a thousand ships with a thousand thousand men from Achaea to bring her home to her husband the King of Sparta, Menelaus.

The Achaeans have made landfall, and the city of Troia is now under siege. Soldiers like you will play a decisive part in the victories made here, but heed the voice of the gods. For no mere mortal could turn from their fury, just as any true hero will shine with their favour.

King Agamemnon - CCKeane rules this thread
Current state of the game:
Battleground locations:
Greek Fleet Beachhead (Trojans kill someone OoC if they win - king chooses which battle combatant makes the choice) Achaean
Greek Siege Camp. Defenders ranged row gain +1 Combat Skill. Each surviving attacker gains 2 offerings if victorious Achaean
Battle Plain (Neutral)
Trojan Wall Battlements Defenders Melee gains +1 Combat Skill, each surviving attacker gains +2 offerings if victorious) Trojan
Trojan Palace (Greeks kill someone OoC if they win - king chooses which battle combatant makes the choice) Trojan

Isle of Delphi: May only be fought over once. The winner of this battle wins unimaginable treasure, but runs the risk of divine disfavour. (unraided)

busb fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Achaean Thread :helladid:

This thread is ruled by King Agamemnon - CCKeane :hist101:

1. Asiina
  2. Beetphyxious
  3. bowmore
  4. King Burgundy
  5. Little Mac
  6. merk
  7. Opopanax AnonymousNarcotics
  8. Rarity
  9. TheNabster Tommunist
  10. TMMadman
  11. Verr

The fallen heroes:
  1. Mithross, Odysseus, Achaean (town) aligned Achaean Commander was hanged Day1
  2. HiipFire, Ajax the Greater, Achaean (town) aligned Son of Telamon was hanged Day1
  3. GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE,Diomedes, Achaean (town) aligned Champion of Athena was slain in glorious battle Night1
  4. EccoRaven, Phoenix, Achaean (town) aligned , Achaean Charioteer has been exiled Day2!
  5. CapitalistPig wins32767, Nestor, Achaean (town) aligned Wisest Advisor to Agamemnon, forgetfully abandoned the battle N2.
  6. FoxTerrier, Calchas, Achaean (town) aligned Seer of Argive and Achaen Oracle was murdered Night 2!

busb fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 25, 2015

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

This thread now should all have its Role PMs. PM me questions if you have them.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

:siren:The Trojan king has foolishly decided that Day 1 will be Double Plurality:siren:

The two people with the most votes will be hanged to death at deadline.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

EccoRaven posted:

time for another ecco breadcrumb (everyone should breadcrumb all the time)

TOM: S1PcK. Nap chuub. MFPY16. huK, XnB. k? Goef #Noz Latp. 12 12e. JM *EFh jrEqEPN. lf 14 .DOS .I(N).

taesKJp. YmSGzB lw.

this was entirely generated by hand, specifically, pen and paper.

I would like if this didn't happen btw. I've only got your word for it that its not computer generated.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Votecount for Day 1

EccoRaven (5): King Burgundy, GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE, merk, merk, merk, Asiina, TMMadman, TMMadman, CapitalistPig
GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE (1): FoxTerrier
Verr (1): TMMadman
King Burgundy (1): Asiina, Asiina, EccoRaven
Asiina (1): Verr

Not Voting (9): Beetphyxious, bowmore, CCKeane, HiipFire, Little Mac, Mithross, Opopanax, Rarity, TheNabster

With 18 alive, it's 10 votes to lynch. The current deadline is October 19th, 2015 at 9 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 day, 2 hours.

Day 1 is Double Plurality!
:hist101: Battle options are due 1 hour before deadline by the thread kings! :hist101:

busb fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 18, 2015

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

TMMadman posted:

Also, just as an aside:

busb, it would be nice if you could turn the second post of this thread into a proper linked list of players.

What's wrong with how i've done it??? (i'm being facetious i only just saw this post and had already done it~)

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

In the interests of battle parties and hanging choices, The Nabster has requested a replacement.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

just popping in with a friendly grammar tip that unlike talking about dongs, the past tense of hanging someone to death is hanged! Wow!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

The mighty Achaeans sat at war council,
Agamemnon, King of them all,
War leader and warrior of brutish strength
spoke loud and clear

"Brave warriors all, the Gods will be with us this day
We will gather on the plain, and take these worthless Trojan lives"
Zeus, king of all gods watched over them as they prepared
and Hera readied her spear.

Priam, King of the Trojans also conferred
His advisers all counselling a different course of action.
"The Greeks are here, let us meet their bronze spears
Let us weather their puny slingstones.
Let us show them what it means to be a Son of Troy.
Aphrodite preserve us!" Priam intoned.

The first battle of Troy was about to begin.

The Achaeans are attacking the Battle Plain on Day 1
:helladid:
code:
Achaeans
Back: TheNabster, Capitalist Pig, Verr
Front: Giuseppe, Merk, Little Mac
                  VS
Front: Lumpen, imgay, tithin
Back: Power of Pecota, Amoeba, Bifauxnen
Trojans
:horse:

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

:redhammer:

Final Votecount for Day 1

HiipFire (5): merk, merk, EccoRaven, CCKeane, GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE, Little Mac, FoxTerrier
Mithross (4): HiipFire, GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE, CapitalistPig, HiipFire, TMMadman, HiipFire, GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE, Beetphyxious
EccoRaven (3): King Burgundy, GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE, merk, merk, merk, Asiina, TMMadman, TMMadman, CapitalistPig, merk, GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE, merk, CapitalistPig
GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE (1): FoxTerrier, TheNabster, EccoRaven, EccoRaven, FoxTerrier
King Burgundy (1): Asiina, Asiina, EccoRaven, EccoRaven, Rarity
Asiina (1): Verr, GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE, GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE, FoxTerrier, GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE, EccoRaven, Little Mac, FoxTerrier, EccoRaven, GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE, Little Mac
Verr (0): TMMadman, TMMadman
CapitalistPig (0): HiipFire, FoxTerrier, FoxTerrier, HiipFire
Little Mac (0): Beetphyxious, Beetphyxious
merk (0): EccoRaven, EccoRaven
Rarity (0): HiipFire, HiipFire

Not Voting (3): bowmore, Mithross, Opopanax

With 18 alive, it's 10 votes to lynch. The current deadline is October 19th, 2015 at 9 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 0 minutes.

Day 1 is Double Plurality!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Hiipfire, Ajax the Greater, Achaean (town) aligned Son of Telamon has been hanged until dead Day 1.

Mithross, Odysseus, Achaean (town) aligned Achaean Commander has been hanged until dead Day 1.

It is now Battle 1 you have 24 hours to submit actions.

If you are in combat:
1) you can choose one active ability and its target. Passive abilities are noted as such and don't need to be activated.

If you are not in combat:
1) You can sacrifice as many offerings to the gods as you wish, if i receive no PM i will assume 0.
2) You may carry out an Out of Combat (OoC) action. Unless stated otherwise you can only target someone not in the battle party.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

This has cropped up a bit so just wanted to clarify

1) You can sacrifice as many offerings to the gods as you wish, if i receive no PM i will assume 0.

You can sacrifice offerings AS WELL as take another action if you have one.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Your soldiers return, victoriously shouting each others' great deeds in battle!
Most of them anyway

Giuseppe Pizzapie, Diomedes, Achaean (town) aligned Champion of Athena has been slain in battle N1.

The gods however, are not so pleased, and their eye has turned from you this day.

It is now Day 2
Day 2 will be a Standard Majority hangstyle.

:siren:The Nabster is replaced by Tommunist:siren:
Capitalist Pig has requested a replacement.

busb fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 21, 2015

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

CCKeane posted:

Eh wait for busb's call.

What? You can speculate on the other thread if you want to??? Do you want to?

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Yes, think of it as 3 locations for actions. Greek camp, battle, Trojan camp.

Whichever one you are at for the night is what you can use abilities in.

I was pretty lenient with illegal actions because it was night 1 and gave people a chance to resubmit but I won't be doing that moving on.

(Any) abilities need targets and aren't passives.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Don't you hate it when ur at work and phonemodding?

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Wins90210 replaces capitalist pig!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

EccoRaven posted:

that's a fast deadline.

I have to choose a couple of specific times where i am able to be present in the thread - and without a comod my only option for deadlines is going to be my saturday or my monday/tuesday. (so US Friday night then Sunday/Monday night).

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

:siren:Good news! Anonymous Narcotics replaces Opoopanax!:siren:

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Bereft of direction, some Trojan soldiers take it upon themselves to attack the Achaean lines.
The Trojans are sallying toward the Battle Plain on Day 2

code:
Achaeans
Back: Merk, Verr, wins
Front: Rarity, TMMadman, Anarc
                  VS
Front: 100yrs, kashuno, power of pecota
Back: Amoeba, The Ninth Layer, Venom Soag
Trojans

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Final Votecount for Day 2

EccoRaven (8): merk, bowmore, merk, merk, EccoRaven, Asiina, Verr, CCKeane, Tommunist, Little Mac
Little Mac (2): Rarity, FoxTerrier
Verr (1): Asiina, TMMadman, Asiina
wins32767 (0): Little Mac, Little Mac
Lynch No One! (0): Rarity, Rarity
CCKeane (0): wins32767, wins32767

Not Voting (4): AnonymousNarcotics, Beetphyxious, King Burgundy, wins32767

With 15 alive, it's 8 votes to lynch. The current deadline is October 23rd, 2015 at 8 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 6 minutes.

Day 2 is Standard Majority!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Eccoraven, Phoenix, Achaean (town) aligned , Achaean Charioteer has been exiled Day 2

It is now Night 2.

If you are in combat:
1) you can choose one active ability and its target. Passive abilities are noted as such and don't need to be activated.

2) You may ALSO carry out an Out of Combat (OoC) action. Unless stated otherwise you can only target someone not in the battle party.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

A new day dawns, and your warriors return!
Apparently TMMadman decided to stay in his tent rather than battling the Trojans this day.

Fortunately though, your warriors return victorious regardless! And none were slain! But a quick headcount shows that someone didn't return from the battle, even though your soldiers swear he was uninjured.

wins90210, Nestor, Achaean (town) aligned Wisest Advisor to Agamemnon, forgetfully abandoned the battle N2.

Things in the camp didn't go so well though, as the corpse of FoxTerrier was found, his throat slit and tent trashed.
Foxterrier, Calchas, Achaean (town) aligned Seer of Argive and Achaen Oracle was murdered Night 2

As the sun rises however, a sense of warmth and strength flows through the encampment. Apollo surely smiles upon you this day! But without an oracle to guide his power, you feel a touch muted in your celebrations,

And word gradually reaches you of turmoil inside the besieged City. It seems there has been a change of leadership!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

You feel the calming power of Zeus wash over you all

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

The horns blare and the third battle is prepared. The Achaeans are assaulting the walls!
Destroy their walls, show them that no city is impregnable to the wrath of the Greeks!

The Achaeans are attacking the Trojan Battlements on Day 3
code:
Achaeans
Back: ANarc, Little Mac, Merk
Front: Beetphyxious, bowmore, Rarity
                  VS
Front: Bifauxnen, imgay, tithin (Entire rank receives +1CS)
Back: The Ninth Layer, Power of Pecota, Magnus Gallant
Trojans

Reminder: Being in a battle party does not mean you are immune to being hanged.

busb fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 26, 2015

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

As evening drew, a bunch of Trojans meet with the king.
'My Lord! We have spotted something amazing! A great and noble steed, made of wood, has been left on the beach and the Greeks have all left! Come and see! We have won!
'Great news friends' the impromptu King Venom Soag cried.
'Show me there at once, i must see this glorious gift with my own eyes!'

So they led the king across to the battlements, to view the wonderous wooden gift the Achaeans had left them.

But all he could see is a vast army of greeks, arranged and waiting.

For what?

'For King CCKeane! For Athena! For Victory!' the four traitors scream, as they bodily throw Venom Soag from the walls.

Shattered, the trojan leadership crumbles, and the great city of Troy is no more.

The Trojan King has been killed day 3

The Achaean thread has won! :hist101:

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Achaean scumteam:
Rarity, Beetphyxious, ANarc, Tommunist

Trojan Scumteam:
Bifauxnen, The Ninth Layer, tithin, Power of Pecota

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

First up: apologies.
This was not modded to my usual standard. After the initial delay (I still haven't heard form highwire in about a month!), which really messed with game enthusiasm, I made two significant errors in the game.

Diqnol: should not have died N1, as he was immune to combat wounds from resolution.
Verr: Accidentally wrote merk into his night action results when it was his OWN buff from his action that i noted, not merks.

I made a couple of other small errors, such as missing that assna's cop was an illegal action. I'd caught about 5-6 illegal actions n1 but this slipped through. Also not changing the flavour of Bif's character to Priest of Poseidon was silly, it was a holdover from highwire's flavour and i didn't spot it - but Laocoon was a legit character.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Trojan_War_characters#Individuals
every character in the game was taken from this list, i didn't really distinguish between the Iliad or the Aeneid though.

Lastly, I think that the game motivation spilled into player care. There were a lot of replacements in this game, and due to the nature of the game modkilling in one thread and not the other doesn't really work - which is what really tipped the scales into the Achaen thread's favour.

There's probably more, but yeah.
I don't feel too sorry about Pinterest Mom bailing. He knew there was a deadline and i told him i was going to RNG if cckeane refused because he had told me he wouldn't have time for 3 hours to submit his battle party. I think he must have just been having a really poo poo day or something.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

TMMadman posted:

Hey busb, I made a comment in the sign up thread about the RNG thing that I'd like to retract. I tried to send you a PM about it, but your box was full. You decide your own schedule and you did what you needed to do in order to keep to that schedule.

That's aight. I had to make some tough calls as a mod this game, and many i regret. RNGing the battle is not one of them. Any other player action would have been forfeited, or his vote wouldn't have counted or whatever.

Amusingly though, the RNG selected less scum for the battle than PMom did, so it actually picked a better party!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Night actions etc (aka spot the errors!):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wWlRg6ZjPzZ6g8e2UL9raKUkvmTR4SroHWf48wNdyqw/edit?usp=sharing

Role PMs:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pmgxsef0M9FoEYwMkRk68nl0J9eeVlb8YoIWv7vJjMk/edit

Thanks to Highwire for developing the mechanics and flavour characters, Mills for a couple of role ideas and for actually getting me focused enough to get the game up, and Chili for offering help then realising he just wanted to write flavour not comod!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

A couple of other things about the game :

Offerings - had a whole list of ~10 boons and favours but seeing as most didn't get used i'll probably save them in case i run another similar game in the future. I think the mechanic was too removed from the regular player though and probably seemed like a useless stat.

Combat system - i like how it worked on my side and was much simpler, but it still seemed to confuse people as to who was a legal target or not. probably should be simplified even further, maybe do away with ranks completely.

Lurking: was noticeably bad, but my delay probably caused a lot of it. Alternately maybe the soldiers format just doesn't suit the newer crop of players? But some new players like Verr and Kashuno really got into it i think so not sure.

TMM: you did have the highest base, but there were a lot of underdog wounding roles too so you weren't invincible by any means!

• Locked thread