Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Hi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I am a melee dude.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
My scum tell is a scum read someone convinces themselves of before they start reading my posts.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Please don't be a miserable sad sack friend, this is the fun thread.

That's a legitimate response.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

It's wildly hyperbolic and only applies to me itt. It could be said that if viewed in that light your comment is anti-town both in vibes and in intent.

I wasn't thinking of you at all when I wrote it. It applies to many people.

Each time I am lynched as scum I go back and try to figure out why. I'll then make an effort in the next game to not do whatever it is that I thought got me lynched regardless of my alignment. Things I've taken out of my game include random distancing posts on scum buddies, voting with too short of justifications (unless I am baiting as town to try to spark content), quickly thought of joke comments, and other stuff. I don't know if I have a scum tell that prevails game after game. If I identified that tell, I'd try to remove it. If you know something, I'd love to hear it.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Perhaps it'd be more accurate to say that you don't convince people as much rather than how convincing you are as either? It's weird to make those separate things but I think that's a more exact answer. You make a case that you don't jump around the thread to "get done" as scum but as town you will actually argue points etc

I think this is very wrong. I usually lead lynches as scum.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

CCKeane posted:

I've noticed you back down quietly and quickly when you are scum and if nobody bites on one of your baiting posts.

Regardless, I rarely support a Merk vote since Merk is better town than scum.

Thanks on both things.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Well, you won't catch me going back to prove it one way or the other because I don't actually give a heck

Cool

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I've done a lot of both lately. I try to switch up styles to see what works and what I have time to do. I think in TNG I was pretty busy and posting in spurts.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Opopanax posted:

Gee merk, awfully defensive, huh?

You got em.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##vote Ecco

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

EccoRaven posted:

nobody disagreed with you? also I'm pretty sure merk's vote is a grumpyvote over my cipher while Diqnol's is still kinda nonsense, so, I wouldn't be too pleased with yourself.

I voted you because your attempt to spark content went nowhere and you made no attempt to make it go anywhere but nowhere.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

EccoRaven posted:

"you asked for content and it didn't help!"

merk posted:

I voted you because your attempt to spark content went nowhere and you made no attempt to make it go anywhere but nowhere.

##vote Ecco

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
In case it isn't obvious, Ecco's misrepresentation of my vote is an attempt to discredit it rather than try to learn my alignment from it. He did the same thing with Diqnol's vote.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

CCKeane posted:

I'm not feeling ecco.

I suggest that you never give your opinion about alignment unless a day is nearing over and you dramatically disagree with the direction the thread is going or you have role-based information that is pertinent. We don't learn much about alignment of people making cases when the confirmed town tells us what to do.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Ecco: calling votes dumb and nonsense persuades no one. I had to force myself to read your whole post after wanting to skip the bulk when you went schoolyard.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

EccoRaven posted:

oh yeah going with the time honored slurs of "nonsense" and "silly." I'm a veritable Tarantino.

I try to only say posts are bad, not people. I *cannot* believe you wanted to not read my post because I called your vote nonsense (and then immediately explained why - because it made no sense). I *cannot* believe you read my post despite the vicious slurs and didn't have your mind changed (or for that matter didn't have a thing to say at all either way other than chastising me for my language).

Saying posts are bad is not persuasive. It detracts from everything else you are trying to say. That said, what you said wasn't persuasive. I like my vote.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'm a good dude to be in a battle as a melee.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

EccoRaven posted:

hey merk do you have any thoughts about the game so far aside from me?

Nope. Playing mostly on a phone this weekend.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Diqnol why do you keep avoiding Ecco's question about a read on me? That's like three times.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

EccoRaven posted:

imo these are bad answers

EccoRaven posted:

it is a bad post.

EccoRaven posted:

I think KB's evasion of the question and case against me is pretty bad. Still deciding if it's dumb or scum though.

EccoRaven posted:

that's a little unreasonable.

I think this is a pretty silly vote merk.

EccoRaven posted:

those are nonsense opinions!

EccoRaven posted:

nah those are some dumb votes too.

EccoRaven posted:

They're nonsense posts. Sorry you guys made posts of nonsense!

EccoRaven posted:

Diqnol's point is dumb too

EccoRaven posted:

It reads like KB made a dumb post

EccoRaven posted:

you're kind of wrong then.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
See ya

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I don't know who is a good second lynch. I agree with getting rid of a lurker.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

HiipFire posted:

Lurker lynch sounds good

This guy doesn't really play mafia. He's a good second lynch.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

HiipFire posted:

You guys are really deadset on lynching me for some reason

You're basically a lurker.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

People voted you, and your response was to call each person's vote dumb, bad, or stupid which looks like you trying to discredit them. It's a great d1 case.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

FoxTerrier posted:

If you don't have any scum reads beyond Ecco, do you have any Town ones?

No, I don't usually make town reads. I guess maybe I should in this format. Nothing jumps out right now though.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

EccoRaven posted:

##vote merk

he's been taking a back seat to actual scumhunting today

merk posted:

Nope. Playing mostly on a phone this weekend.

?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

EccoRaven posted:

merk a better mafia player than I once said that anyone can make a three bulletpoint case on someone else in 15 minutes on their phone.

you haven't even done that.

merk posted:

In case it isn't obvious, Ecco's misrepresentation of my vote is an attempt to discredit it rather than try to learn my alignment from it. He did the same thing with Diqnol's vote.

I ask again: ?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
My vote on Ecco is locked.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I've eviscerated your case with no effort at all, and here you are still trying to push it.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

King Burgundy posted:

Actually, I just thought of one thing that would help. If you can find games of yours where you've done this same weird reinterpretation of people's posts thing as town, I'm willing to read any exchanges from those that you point out and see if this is just your thing.

This is really bad. Don't let him provide his own meta defense. If you want to make a read, find it yourself.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I also think it's scummy to go into other games to try to get an alignment read on someone. There's plenty of stuff here. One example of his meta from another game is irrelevant.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

EccoRaven posted:

I hope you at least see where I was coming from, since it's the truth.

Your inability to see where I'm coming from is one of the main reasons why I'm very confident in my vote on you. I told you I was playing most of the game on my phone, and you somehow ignored that when making a post about how I've played a backseat today.

I made a great d1 case on you. Why can't you put yourself in my shoes and see how I came to that case? Because you're scum.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

EccoRaven posted:

nah.

your case, divided into phases:

- I asked content questions and deliberately made it not go anywhere. I have responded to this one a lot and you ignored them because among many other words I used "silly" and "nonsense" to describe your points. The only time you did talk about the points it was obliquely, saying it was "not persuasive."

- I misphrased your case against me, and I did the same thing misphrasing KB's post. I don't agree about KB, but I concede it was inaccurate regarding your case. But I really don't think it's a slam dunk point, because the misphrasing was not essential to my response to you, it was not even a big part in my response to you. It wasn't even a grossly inaccurate misphrasing. It is worth a "ecco that's not what I mean," and me going "yeah ok I know, sorry."

- I called people's votes against me silly and dumb and bad. I've said this, too, isn't very fair because not only is it totally okay to call bad thing bad (not people! just a post or case or sentence!), but it ignores that I have a lot of time and effort behind those words explaining them.

I don't see where you're coming from, merk. I really don't.

This case is going to get you lynched today. If you can't see it, maybe use this as a takeaway to improve for the next game.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

EccoRaven posted:

no, "this case" isn't getting me hanged today. A combination of a bunch of cases of varying veracity will do that.

I am going to assume here on out that you are never going to address my points about your case.

I am not going to address points that I don't think are legitimate coming from someone who I'm pretty sure flips scum.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Rarity posted:

You also lead lynches as town, it's a null tell.

Right, it's why I commented on the post. It is so wrong that it's concerning.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##vote Hiopfire

Can look deeper later. Who else are you sending to battle and is off the table?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

EccoRaven posted:

hey merk. hey. hey merk.

you should vote for diqnol.

I thought about advocating a you/Diqnol lynch last night but thought that would kill the number of posts in the thread too much on day 1. With you off the table I may vote him. He's acting weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Someone said that the Pearl "slap fight" between Diqnol and me was bad. gently caress you. I was 100% right.

There's also been no drama or slap fighting between Diqnol and me in this game so I don't understand that comment.

Who said that? In hindsight it feels scummy.

• Locked thread