Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Confirmed. I'm a Trojan in real life too (Fight On!!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I just checked my watch and it says Jokephase O'Clock.

##vote The Betrayer

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Lumpen posted:

Ugh jeeeez spare us the emo bullshit! This effectively parses as a Scumclaim, but that would be too easy and convenient.

##vote Venom Soag
3rdvote on a D1 bandwagon is more Scummy that 100yrs' "im not contributing followed by a mea culpa hooley dooley"

Please explain your vote in some more detail, Venom Soag.

It's been a while since I've seen the third vote scumtell used as a serious reason to vote someone. Brings me back.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm nothing special in combat.

Had a pretty busy weekend but I'll read over things tomorrow after a good night's sleep.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Are you guys really just voting Venom Soag because he third-voted somebody? Serious question.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Oh I see he's also being voted for because he's irritating and Australian. Great case guys.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm not seeing anyone I want to vote more than The Betrayer right now.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Kashuno posted:

Opinion on s31?

He's got two posts so it's hard to make a judgment. From what I've seen of him in other games my expectations of his play are pretty low to begin with., granted I don't think I've played a full game with him.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Sodomeow posted:

my vote is on him for more than that. He is only voting me because my name got thrown around, and he wants to safely vote on someone that is seen as contentious so no one will realize his vote is poor. Look at the case he tries to build around me and you tell me that is something that comes from a person who is town and thinks I am scum, and not just someone trying to make a safe vote and then try to rationalize it after.

Also at this point the dude is just annoying to me so I feel more compelled to keep voting him.

I mean you basically proved his point for him by voting him back with a jokevote reason.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Sodomeow posted:

I think TNLs defense of the dude is scummy

I just summed up the four votes on him. Third vote, third vote, irritating, Australian.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yours doesn't either, you voted him because he voted you and you didn't like it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Sodomeow posted:

my vote is on him for more than that. He is only voting me because my name got thrown around, and he wants to safely vote on someone that is seen as contentious so no one will realize his vote is poor. Look at the case he tries to build around me and you tell me that is something that comes from a person who is town and thinks I am scum, and not just someone trying to make a safe vote and then try to rationalize it after.

Also at this point the dude is just annoying to me so I feel more compelled to keep voting him.

Take yourself out of this post and what you're left with is that you're voting him because you find him annoying.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Okay well I'm not seeing it, sorry.

Sodomeow posted:

Are you saying you think he is town BTW? All you are doing is discrediting other voters. Who do you think is scum TNL

I don't know if he's town or not but I know the votes on him are bad, hence why I'm asking if someone has a better reason for voting him than some dumb third-vote meta that hasn't been used in a serious game for five years.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Third vote is a dumb IRC joke that I can't believe anyone puts real stock into.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

As to who I think is scum, the four players leading the vote charts are all players I'm unfamiliar with and I generally don't like to vote new/unfamiliar players if I have no knowledge of how they play. So I'm sticking with The Betrayer until he posts more.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Kashuno posted:

Sodemeow is JakeP, opinion?

I don't think he's scummy and finding out he's JakeP doesn't change that opinion.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Lumpen posted:

Were the battle lineups submitted? In previous soldiers games the battle participants and location were announced far ahead of the lynch deadline.

It would be useful information in deciding who to lynch because those going to battle should be off the table for lynching unless Pmom is sending in a suicide squad to be slaughtered.

The signup thread says battle orders are due an hour before the deadline so it's possible PMom hasn't gotten to it yet.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Betrayer's been posting in another game but not this one.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Amoeba102 posted:

An easy and wrong statement to make.

Amoeba102 posted:

Scum will do it to not rock the boat, town will do it because they can trust Pmom to be genuine.

You want to make any specific call outs of players doing something you think is scummy. Or are you just going to make an easy and wrong statement and leave it at that?

This series of posts comes off as really defensive, Amoeba. Did you take him talking about people following PMom to be talking about you specifically?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Venom Soag posted:

so King burgundy is scum yea?

Why would you make a post like this???

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Lumpen brought up some good points that better contextualize his vote. Do you still disagree with it? It's weird to me that you won't look through the post histories of those being voted to see if you can see what others see.

I think your defense of Venom is quite you but your lack of scum-hunting definitely isn't.

Yeah, I still think it's pretty weak. Most of the points amount to Venom Soag is bad and they're irrespective of alignment. Third vote reason still sucks and it's not a reliable scumtell. Lumpen's best point is that Venom Soag abandoned a 100yrs suspicion early but at the same time it's day 1, too early to expect people not to be changing their minds a lot.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Amoeba102 posted:

I find it hard to believe you can characterise those two posts as defensive.

TT came in an made an undirected call out, then wouldn't elaborate on it when asked.

His callout applied to you and you seemed to be fishing for him to call you out.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Amoeba102 posted:

Saying I'm having a meltdown, pissy and hypersensitive is ad hom and in no way addressing the content.

My original assertion was not illogical, as both scum and town would likely do the same thing with regards to following PMom blindly. I didn't say it was good play to follow PMom blindly. I said you were wrong to think of it as a scum tell. It is also an easy statement for scum to make to look insightful.

I may be playing badly - if you can stretch your imagination to even say I'm playing - but that is no scum tell.

What he said is true though? It is an easy way to get away with doing nothing and it puts all accountability onto PMom instead of on the voters. If everyone did that we would be in trouble because there'd be nothing to distinguish one person agreeing with Pinterest Mom from another.

This argument sounds a lot like lurkers who argue that lurking isn't a scumtell.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Well I probably would have voted Amoeba if he wasn't being sent into battle but instead I'm keeping my vote on MCS/Betrayer unless either something drastic happens or he gets replaced. I'm fine with the Section 31 lynch and it doesn't need my vote to happen in double plurality. I don't think Venom Soag will flip scum but don't feel strongly enough about Birdstrike being scum to vote him up instead.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I just now noticed the thread is open :(

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Of everyone who was up for a lynch yesterday the only person that could have flipped scum was Venom Soag. He was in second place all day and the lynch was flipped only last-minute. That's a lot of people flinching last-minute to keep him from being voted. Punt and Magnus arguably voted Birdstrike too early to be explicitly saving Venom Soag but Kash and 100yrs both very explicitly did, so if Venom Soag later flips scum I'll be more suspicious of those two.

With that said I don't think Venom Soag is scummy, I actually think he's an easy target for scum to vote and be suspicious of because of his up-in-your-face posting style. The person I think played exactly like scum would with an easy target like that was Sodo/JakeP, who voted Venom early on when he was getting suspicion and more or less because he voted JakeP with a bad-looking case. Then JakeP's spent the rest of the game just calling Venom scum without any added reasoning or anything.

##vote JakeP

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I found out a few days ago that the job I've been waiting for a few months to start may have been filled by accident, I've been trying to sort it out over the last few days. Sorry everyone.

Reading over the thread now. I was wounded in battle btw.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

My day has been pretty hosed, sorry everyone. I see I'm up for a lynch, probably not much I can do to dissuade people at this point. I'm Helen of Troy, my battle power is I can cut someone's combat power in half if they're in a row opposite of me (if I'm ranged I can only hit melee).

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

##vote Venom Soag

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Magnus Gallant posted:

No it's not. Bif votes me and then you guys vote out tnl and we are Gucci

Taste brought me to 3 after Venom was at 3 so he "wins" the tiebreaker still. Hope you've got another vote.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

If it makes you guys feel any better I still don't know if I lost my job or not.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Magnus Gallant posted:

Sorry to hear about the job fuckup, that sucks!! Hope it gets resolved positively.

My application got "lost" and someone got hired accidentally in the meantime. It sucks because I was personally promised the position a few months ago and was told not to worry, I'd get hired but it would take some time. Now it's a question of whether they can find another position for me.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

Soag played a really good game, 100 and Punt also were both super on the money on D1/D2 but were generally ignored

Soag was a good choice for replacement king, I definitely hope to see him in more games.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Kashuno posted:

That's really hosed.

Yeah it's really stressing me out, the only good thing about it is I'm living with my mom basically expense-free at the moment, so I'm not "desperate" for work.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Magnus Gallant posted:

We shouldn't have had Soag take over, we should have had a third party take over.

Either that or make it so Soag took one extra vote to lunch. When Soag changed from a player to King we effectively lost a player

I think this would be a better outcome for the future, it's also disruptive for scum when a player of uncertain alignment suddenly is confirmed town.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Thanks for running the game, busb. Sorry for not contributing to it more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

busb posted:

mate i PMed a whole bunch of people but nobody could replace in, and especially as i'd already replaced about 6 players in the game.
I absolutely wanted to just get a 3rd party king but i couldn't find anyone and I had to make a call. I didn't want to, but yeah.

I think double plurality was a trap pick for hangtypes - personally i would only use it if my thread was ahead, not behind. Lights Out is meant to be the catchup hangtype but nobody chose it!

Plurality lynches in general are very nice for scum, double plurality may have been doubly so. Plurality votes give people an excuse to not move their vote (like me on Day 1) because the votes aren't needed to avoid no lynches; it also makes for situations where a scum player can bump other scum off the gallows with just a vote or two, instead of convincing the whole town to switch.

• Locked thread