Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Hello GWS, this is my first NICSA or ICSA entry. I knew I wanted a sweet pie, but I'm not so big on the super sweet autumn-y ones like pecan pie. I thought I would take something familiar and modify it slightly. The idea was to start with an apple pie in mind, but swap in pears for the apples and change the flavors a little.

For the pears I chose boscs. I had to do a little research -- I usually make apple pies with Granny Smiths, and I knew I probably wouldn't find a pear that was as tart as that, but bosc seemed like the closest I'd get. To compensate, I used lemon zest and upped the lemon juice that I usually use by about half. (Still not that much -- 3 Tbsp vs 2 Tbsp.) I also swapped out vanilla extract for a couple tablespoons of Frangelico.

First up: the crust. I only make pies occasionally, and I don't even remember what recipe I usually use. This one is fairly standard but does include a bit of white vinegar, and uses both butter and shortening for the fat. Here's all the ingredients ready to roll.

Toss everything in the food processor with the dough blade, pulse together. I think my butter should have been colder, from the look and feel of it, but I don't usually use shortening so I don't know.

Form into discs, wrap up, toss in the fridge.

After this I went to the grocery store and bought the pears along with some other groceries for the week. When I got back I had somehow spent about an hour there, so I left the dough in the fridge to chill overnight.

Fast forward to this morning. I set out the ingredients for the filling...

... and started rolling out the dough. Last winter, I bought a pie bag, which I had never used despite making pies since then. The idea of a pie bag is you stick the dough in it and then you can just roll it out in the bag, which a. prevents sticking to the rolling pin and b. lets you get the size right. I think my pie bag is too small for my pie dish, and when I rolled it out it wasn't wide enough to properly fill the pan and come up the edges.

As it happens, I made a single-crust pie a while ago (with a streusel topping), so I had a single pie crust in the freezer. I love pie crust, and on the theory that pears are higher water content than apples, I thought maybe more crust would be a good idea for practical reasons too. It turns out that (per the University of Kentucky Agriculture Department) this is completely wrong and the two are about the same percentage water by weight. Still, I love pie crust. So I used the other half of the new dough to make up the difference and thicken up the walls.

Time for filling. Peelin' pears.

In the crust, after being tossed with lemon juice, lemon zest, Frangelico, and a healthy dose of cinnamon. (EDIT: And sugar. Less than I would use in an apple pie.)

The pie dough in the freezer was folded in quarters to make it fit since my freezer is narrow. After thawing, the stress of the folds caused it to split into those constituent quarters. The result is unfortunately a less attractive top crust than I'd hoped for, but I did get a nice edge going around the rim. I also made a little pear from dough scraps and put it on top, but frankly it's hard to tell, especially after baking.

I knew I wanted coarse decorating sugar on top, but I was afraid to put it on before baking in case it melted into the crust. It turns out that if you do it after baking there's nothing holding on, which is obvious in retrospect.

Sliced.

Plated.

Verdict: :siren: It's good! :siren:

Post-mortem: This involved a lot of experimentation and flying by the seat of my pants. I gave serious thought to not entering because of all the flaws in the presentation, but NICSA was the only reason I even made a pie, and I took the pictures, so what the hell. Maybe I will get points for creativity. I'm happy with the flavors, and I like the Frangelico in the filling. If I were doing it again, I would aim to not gently caress up the crusts, by using colder butter and not rolling out with the pie bag, and I would put the decorating sugar on before baking. If I were to reinforce again with more dough, I would probably use more of it on the bottom since fruit pies can be pretty liquidy, and I would probably thicken the filling with corn starch or something similar. Other than that I'm pretty pleased with it and I'm looking forward to eating pie for the next several days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread