Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
History is littered with examples of infamous partners in crime - Bonny and Clyde, Frank and Jesse James, the Menendez Brothers, the Columbine killers, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Milli and Vanilli. And the musical world is no exception to the rule that "It takes two to make it out of sight." Who would the Captain be without Tenille? Hall without Oates? Kriss without Kross? Nelson without....the other Nelson? When two musical minds get put together the result is often magic!

In this spirit the theme for Rockstar 64 is Dynamic Duos!. Pick any song done by a duo or a famous duet and cover it in whatever style you like. Bonus cred for somehow incorporating another person in your recording as well - your loser roommate, your babbling baby child, maybe get your cat to record a synth solo, whatever it takes.

DEADLINE is November 22nd because it has two twos in it. :hfive:

quote:

What's Rockstar? How do I Rockstar?
The idea behind Rockstar is simple: you pick any song that fits the topic, then record a cover of it by the posted deadline. Once the deadline arrives, we get all the submissions together and make a poll/voting thread in GBS to determine the winner. The winner gets all the glory and gets to pick the next topic and post the next thread.

Who can participate?
Anyone, everyone. If you're willing to take the time to throw a song together, we're happy to have you.

Does it have to sound professional or anything?
Nope. You don't need fancy interfaces or access to a studio, just the ability to sit down and jam out a cover on whatever you got. Sure, production quality is good, but actually completing an entry is even better. So grab what you got and start laying down some tracks. There are plenty of resources in the Musicians Lounge if you need assistance with your setup or are having any technical issues.

Where should I host the music?
Soundcloud. Just make sure you allow people to download your music from Soundcloud, since some people like to load the music up on their iPod. Plus, that way, you don't need to worry about your internet connection when you're trying to make love to that special someone, or something, or KFC basket of Chicken Wings.

I really really really want to win. What's the secret?
First of all, settle down there chief. It ain't about winning. However, winning is simple, actually. Follow my three simple rules:
Pick a song that people have actually heard of. This isn't a time to establish your indie cred.
Switch up the genres in a funny way. Make a reggae version of a hard rock song. Do "Take the A Train" in the style of Kraftwerk's "Autobahn". Please don't turn a rap song into a mellow acoustic ballad. Straight covers rarely win because lets face it, you're no David Cassidy, and I think you know it.
Get off your fat butt and actually record something. Don't wait until the deadline. Thinking about it won't make it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
http://www.billboard.com/articles/list/473075/the-40-biggest-duets-of-all-time
That's a weird goddamn list.

Calling no I wont because I'll change my mind in an hour.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Probably over-explaining, but just to clarify, the song doesn't have to be a duet per se, just done by a duo. Any song by a band named "X and Y" counts -- Hall and Oates, Belle and Sebastien, Sonny and Cher, etc. Or any band that is a duo like Daft Punk or The White Stripes works.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Fine, nobody else?

UNDER PRESSURE. by Bowie/Queen.

If I don't post it by Friday, it's open to anybody else to take it.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Actually, no. I should see who I can con into singing with me before I make a choice...

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 20, 2015

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I'm kinda thinking Lie Still, Little Bottle by TMBG back when they were a duet.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
This is an awesome theme. Sticking with "I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)" by Hall and Oates for now.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I'm going to claim Venus by Air for now but I might change my mind...

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
NTT easily claims Simon and Garfunkle's Scarborough Fair

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

It may not be a famous duet, but it is a duet. Unsteady by Jubilee Riots.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Gonna do Here Comes the Rain Again, by Eurythmics.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
I really want to do God-like from Gogol Bordello... Hope I can find someone to sing with me, we'll see. :)

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Okay I didn't do Under Pressure yet, and it's such a classic duet. If anybody else wants it, it's all yours. I'll find another one when I get around to it.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

magnificent7 posted:

Okay I didn't do Under Pressure yet, and it's such a classic duet. If anybody else wants it, it's all yours. I'll find another one when I get around to it.

It's actually my all-time favorite song, but I could never even approach those Mercury vocals. My Chemical Romance actually did an okay cover of it, but there are some obvious compromises in the vox. Freddie was so the man.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Radiapathy posted:

It's actually my all-time favorite song, but I could never even approach those Mercury vocals. My Chemical Romance actually did an okay cover of it, but there are some obvious compromises in the vox. Freddie was so the man.

If you wanna do it I can try and supply the Freddie...

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)
I'm too busy to record instruments, but I can supply some vocals in somebody's duet.

The Mystery Date fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 25, 2015

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I haven't gotten my victim friend in to record yet and I accidentally closed without saving the bass tracks, but here's a rough sample.
Unsteady (Sample)

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Gonna try for Maneater by Hall & Oates.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Well, got 8 bars recorded so far...

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've had my music done for weeks but have yet to record vocals because :effort:

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
I haven't even started...

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Alright, so, I've got one I want to do, but tell me if you all agree that this counts as a duet/duo kind of thing.

Tempted by Squeeze. Vocals are a duet of Paul Carack and Chris Difford.

Me, I do not see it as a stretch because there's two distinct singers on the song. But, does anybody feel like I'm reaching? Because gently caress you if you do. But still. I won't win anyway, so none of you should feel threatened... and in fact, I probably won't start finish it in time.

Edit goddammit nevermind, there's like twenty motherfuckers singing in that song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmlCJFaUnKI

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think we can let it slide if you change it to "tempted by the fruit of your mother".

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Done.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
*poster may have no authority to make exceptions or negotiate terms of contest

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
I might change my claim to "Kyle Quit the Band" by Tenacious D, possibly mashed with "Inward Singing." Maybe. We will see when I actually start doing things next week.

Yes.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I may have to give this one a pass. A family member's health is in the shitter so I may have to take an emergency trip to Houston in the next few days.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alternative pants posted:

A family member's health is in the shitter

Condolences

Alternative pants posted:

so I may have to take an emergency trip to Houston

Double condolences

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You know how you get an idea, and think, "oh this'll only take like an hour to do, TOPS."

And then you do it, and you think, "hey you know what'd be cool? Adding samples. Drums n poo poo."

And then you do that, and you think, "hey you know what'd be cool? Doing it all falsetto and prince and poo poo."

And then twelve hours have gone by. You know what that's like, right?

TEMPTED, and yes. MOMS ARE IN THERE.
https://soundcloud.com/beauhall/tempted-sampleriffic

OH and just to show how I can turn lucky charms into turds, here. My completed submission for the last round. Oh. Jesus.
https://soundcloud.com/beauhall/turd-of-the-night

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 16, 2015

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I KNOW RIGHT! It's goddamn amazing, and just like you, I can't believe I pinched out a golden turd.

It's such an incredible feeling to finish a song, post it, share it, and then sleep on it, and then listen to it in the morning. That's when you can feel that tiny sheen of cold sweat form across your forehead, and you wonder what the gently caress your ears were doing 12 hours earlier.

It's JUST THAT GOOD.

Let's go ahead and claim that I'm the winner of this round so I can call UKELELE STONER ROCK for the next round.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Okay, so I'm scheduled to record the lady parts :smug: tomorrow. Just in case, here's proof that I've actually been doing stuff.
Unsteady

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
I'm feeling an extension coming on...

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

gently caress all of you, the two of us spent three hours drinking and talking about exes to the point of being on the verge of tears as part of of the recording process and here it loving is.
Unsteady

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 22, 2015

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Here's mine.

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/lie-still-little-bottle

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Uploading now...

Ok. This is an embarrassing entry but here it is anyway. I had a grand total of a few hours to work on an entry, and my Tenacious D idea was totally not working out. I ended up doing Venus by Air and due to unfortunate circumstances I had to move all my recording stuff into my living room, so this was entirely produced while sitting on my couch. Something Awful Forums User Rodnik sings a bit duet-style, and my old cat once again makes an appearance. If there was an extension I honestly don't think I'd have the time to improve it at all, so here it is, faults, background noise, and all.

https://soundcloud.com/koivunen/venus-air-cover

Venus by Air.

E: New link. Made a minor adjustment in volume.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 25, 2015

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

I pulled the plug on mine about 1/3 of the way through. Will listen and vote when the thread goes up.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
I'm about 50% done with mine, but have been dealing with some tinnitus-related issues this last week. I could probably finish if given a few more days; otherwise, I guess I'm out this round.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm still planning to do a cover of 4-5 Minutes.

Or no, Rich Girl.

Or perhaps your mama don't dance by Loggins and Messina.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
When I set the deadline I forgot I'm leaving the country for a week right now. If someone else wants to pick up the ball and make a voting thread be my guest. Otherwise, automatic extension until next Sunday when I get back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
And there was much rejoicing

• Locked thread