Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Whats the name of the crazy russian tank prototype with the double barrel cannon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Mange Mite posted:

Whats the name of the crazy russian tank prototype with the double barrel cannon

Are you talking about the ST-1?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Tekne posted:

His videos are sweet. Assad's fodder are stuck with old poverty spec ruskie tanks (they call them monkey models :ussr:), which are better at blowing up than blowing stuff up.

The rebels in Yemen are lucky that they're not dealing with the cancer-plated Abrams, though the Saudis would use them just as poorly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0nDHV_mkiY

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
No i think it was built off like a t55 and it wad just somr weird experiment but it had two cannons side by side in the same turret

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

The char 2C was nearly a good idea.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Ka0 posted:

they never ironed out the last problem: the Frenchman driving it

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Young Freud posted:

The big problem with stuff like this is that it requires a hell of a lot of coordination to get those guns to be effective. A naval ship can get away with having a ton of gun turrets on it because the captain of the ship and executive officers is located in a conning tower or superstructure can have a clear view of targets, give orders to fire control, and direct the helmsman to maneuver the ship. With a buttoned-up tank, that's hard to do. There's a reason why multi-gun tanks died out and why every production design from World War 2 and later allows for open communication between all members of the crew, even if you're likely using radio headsets.

Also, the way it's turrets are set up, with free rotation that allows sweeping of the other turrets, that's like a friendly fire accident waiting to happen. Also, how is that little dual machinegun turret in between the front 76mm and the main turret supposed to be used. It looks like it'll get it's barrels bent contacting the front turret every time or has to go into high elevation to clear it.

The biggest problem with land-battleships is that they are slow, easily spotted, and their firepower is outclassed by 3-4 smaller tanks who can actually move and take cover. I don't think the T-35 even saw actual combat as they all broke down due to transmission issues before the enemy even got close.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ka0 posted:

Those eventually saw combat in WW2.

They didn't last very long against Panzers.

BTW, I'm surprised no one has mentioned anything about the Chrysler TV-8. It was a medium tank that was entirely turret, relying on spaced armor for defense. Also, it could float.

Also, it was supposed to be nuclear-powered, although I believe they eventually figured out that using a turbine engine would be easier to maintain.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
They probably also realized that making a tank an additional meter or two taller than it needs to be is a bad idea.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Blistex posted:

They probably also realized that making a tank an additional meter or two taller than it needs to be is a bad idea.

Americans thinking a tank is too tall? Unlikely.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Prav posted:

Americans thinking a tank is too tall? Unlikely.

That's a Sheridan, ain't it? It was an amphibious light tank capable of being air-dropped - not exactly a main battle tank.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That's a Sheridan, ain't it? It was an amphibious light tank capable of being air-dropped - not exactly a main battle tank.

still a tank :colbert:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

M60A2 unless I'm mistaken. The Sheridan was much smaller.

And it's not like the other Pattons didn't have some very generous cupolas as well.

i don't know man, they built them out of aluminium...

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Sheridans were way smaller

The tank in the earlier picture was a M60A1E2 "Starship", which is just a Patton with a poo poo ton of electronics and the same cannon as the Sheridan so it could use the MGM-51 Shillelagh guided missile as well

The Sheridan was an AR/AAV (Armored Reconnaissance/Airborne Assault Vehicle) through pure designation. So if you really want to be a pedantic sperg about it, you could argue it's a glorified recon vehicle or tank killer or mobile gun system. But I agree, a lovely tank is still a tank

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Oct 29, 2015

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Booblord Zagats posted:

The Sheridan was an AR/AAV (Armored Reconnaissance/Airborne Assault Vehicle) through pure designation. So if you really want to be a pedantic sperg about it, you could argue it's a glorified recon vehicle or tank killer or mobile gun system. But I agree, a lovely tank is still a tank

idk anything about this thing but he said it was a "light tank" so I just pointed out that a light tank is still a tank. I don't know a precise enough definition of "tank" to properly sperg about what is and is not covered by that label, the way that I can about how humans are monkeys and birds are dinosaurs.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Tank is a play on 'tactical bank'. Banks being the most fortified things of the time.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Isaac posted:

Tank is a play on 'tactical bank'. Banks being the most fortified things of the time.

lol.

if anyone is wondering, tanks were originally called "landships". "tank" was the codeword for them during their early development, and, being a codeword, was deliberately non-descriptive of the vehicles to which they referred. other terms for the vehicles were "land cruiser" and "machine gun destroyer".

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

etalian posted:

For a shaped type explosive most warheads are in the 18-25 lb range.

Blistex posted:

If you just want to drop the drone or shaped charge straight down on top of a tank, you could probably cut the 18lbs down to half or less and still take the tank out (make it inoperable, not cook it off). Then again, if this is a middle east war, you could just give the local goatfarmers a week's training, some TOWS and reap the rewards. In the past week Syrian rebels have uploaded dozens and dozens of videos of their "pudgy TOW pro" turning Russian armour inside-out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtD7MIGBRMU

I was thinking more in the AT weapon that costs practically nothing per shot range. Don't need to cook it off if you can make it stop moving & firing. Maybe fly it under the chassis using an onboard camera?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

idk anything about this thing but he said it was a "light tank" so I just pointed out that a light tank is still a tank. I don't know a precise enough definition of "tank" to properly sperg about what is and is not covered by that label, the way that I can about how humans are monkeys and birds are dinosaurs.

It was basically a light tank, but when it was commissioned the US Army was using nomenclature that meant it couldn't be called a tank. The things had a pretty checkered service history, it looks like, and I was wrong about what the picture was in any case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Why's all the text in japanese. Is this an anime?? :wth:

• Locked thread