Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Mechs with swords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Thunder Moose posted:

Tanks are built for home defense first.

Which is why the Leopard excels on the open field where other tanks get bogged down.
Why the Abrahms has a gas turbine engine and can take advantage of an extensive highway system
Why the T line of tanks are small and compact - to better cross the many, many river bridges that dot the Russian landscape.

Where they fought would in fact make a big difference.

It's interesting to see how much stuff, from small arms like the G11 and the P90, to ATGMs like the Javelin, to tanks like the Leopard 2 and the Abrams, to attack aircraft like the Apache and the A10, where designed and built just for a single predicted battle. Everyone was betting on a conventional WW3 to be fought in a make-it-or-break-it battle in the Fulda Gap.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 25, 2015

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L94E8DGLmjw

If you throw TUSK II and a Trophy system on one of these you probably have a pretty good tank.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Usa should upgrade to the challenger 2.

It has a kettle.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
The idea of MBTs from the 80s popping knee joints and disabling/killing Mech Warrior poo poo kinda owns

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zzulu posted:

Mechs with swords

I hope this plan includes cute petite women pilots

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
Tracks are also very vulnerable, and will lead to an immobilized tank, if damaged. On flat terrain, obviously a tank is the superior vehicle: it will be faster and heavier (more weight translates into better protection). With a mech, you make the tradeoff of having a slower, less heavily-armored vehicle, but be able to negotiate any terrain. You could, in theory, deploy mechs to an areas traditionally only accessible by helicopter.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Zzulu posted:

Tanks suck in urban warfare

I've seen those syrian war videos, the tanks are death traps. We need mechs with jetpacks that can jump on top of buildings and look really cool

the syrian army isn't exactly what one would call efficacious

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXWJrpA8FnE

i'm the fresh fruits truck that unfolds into a quadcopter

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Frostwerks posted:

Most of it is due to incompetence in Syrian army. In all those fun videos the tanks have zero infantry screening or support for urban fighting.

In the other videos the tanks get trashed out in the open since modern AT weapons have fairly long ranges so you can just sent them up and snipe tanks from 4-5 miles away.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Happy Bear Suit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXWJrpA8FnE

i'm the fresh fruits truck that unfolds into a quadcopter

seems like it'd be easier if a launcher with a small tactical nuke loaded into it unfolded out of the truck and just bombed the entire base

AdvancesMONKEY
Mar 30, 2010

by Lowtax
I like it when tanks fight Godzilla.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
It's my birthday today, and I'm 33!

That means only one thing...BRING IT IN, GUYS!!

*every US airplane from every base, hangar, aircraft carrier, museum and boneyard come in with everything for a HUGE party*

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Frostwerks posted:

Also aren't they like old T-72s or something? At this point those tanks are probably worth less than the missiles

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
How many landcruisers can you buy for a trillion bux

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Isaac posted:

How many landcruisers can you buy for a trillion bux

All of them.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

judging by how modern war is fought, us soldiers should apparently be riding technicals and wearing machete proof football pads

in other words mad max has a lot to teach us all

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bro Dad posted:

judging by how modern war is fought, us soldiers should apparently be riding technicals and wearing machete proof football pads

basic training camp will be updated include throwing razor sharp boomerangs.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Zzulu posted:

seems like it'd be easier if a launcher with a small tactical nuke loaded into it unfolded out of the truck and just bombed the entire base

Of course, that NASTY SURPRISE fruit truck war wank material only works on the conceit that the entire United States air force is located in a front line base and not on a hundred bases throughout the world.

I love the rows and rows of F-111s, a plane that hasn't flown in the USAF for 17 years, and the array of F/A-18s, which are pretty much Navy only these days.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Zzulu posted:

Tanks?? Tanks are boring warmachines

THe videogames i played a as a kid promised me sick nasty mechs in the future

Now we're in the future and yet, no mechs. This breaks my heart

they're working on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOkXRXZIFxs

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Young Freud posted:

Of course, that NASTY SURPRISE fruit truck war wank material only works on the conceit that the entire United States air force is located in a front line base and not on a hundred bases throughout the world.

I love the rows and rows of F-111s, a plane that hasn't flown in the USAF for 17 years, and the array of F/A-18s, which are pretty much Navy only these days.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Young Freud posted:

Somehow I don't think that the planes are the biggest realism issue there

Also is that channel a demo reel for some 3d animator guy or what

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Bro Dad posted:

Modern war seems mostly the same as ancient war. A bunch of dudes form gangs/militias hoping to kill some other tribal group. Preferably unarmed women and children.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Mange Mite posted:

Modern war seems mostly the same as ancient war. A bunch of dudes form gangs/militias hoping to kill some other tribal group. Preferably unarmed women and children.

they are only superficially similar. in ancient times battles were largely decided by maneuver, and battles, particularly pitched battles, were frequently (though not always) decisive events in wars. industrialisation turned armies into sprawling, inter-connected machines miles wide, without flanks that can be turned, and capable of withstanding degrees of attrition far beyond that which can generally be inflicted within a single battle or even within a few (notable exception being the Battle of Stalingrand, which arguably was not a battle but a series of battles fought over several months). pitched battles are an extreme rarity in the late twentieth and now twenty-first centuries.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

they are only superficially similar. in ancient times battles were largely decided by maneuver, and battles, particularly pitched battles, were frequently (though not always) decisive events in wars. industrialisation turned armies into sprawling, inter-connected machines miles wide, without flanks that can be turned, and capable of withstanding degrees of attrition far beyond that which can generally be inflicted within a single battle or even within a few (notable exception being the Battle of Stalingrand, which arguably was not a battle but a series of battles fought over several months). pitched battles are an extreme rarity in the late twentieth and now twenty-first centuries.

im implying that modern warfare is mostly fought with irregulars and paramilitaries, and mostly targets unarmed peoples. more like the rwandan genocide or the dirty war.

fights between closely matched opponents are a rarity in general

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Mange Mite posted:

im implying that modern warfare is mostly fought with irregulars and paramilitaries, and mostly targets unarmed peoples. more like the rwandan genocide or the dirty war.

fights between closely matched opponents are a rarity in general

oh. I would say those situations are more accurately considered unrest than proper military conflicts but I suppose that's mainly an academic distinction.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

lDDQD posted:

You could, in theory, deploy mechs to an areas traditionally only accessible by helicopter.

if there is no way to ship in materials to these places there will be no buildings for the mechs to blow up or troops for them to shoot at. i guess they could perch on top of some really pointy mountains tho

headline: JAPANESE MECHS HOLD EVEREST PEAKS FOR THIRD CONSECUTIVE YEAR, UNCHALLENGED

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
You could use a humanoid mech to climb the mountains in Afghanistan and attempt to root out the insurgents that always hide there. This is a job that has fallen upon helicopter gunships in the past, which has worked fairly well - until the Americans in their infinite wisdom, decided to supply stingers to the insurgents.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sinking Ship posted:

So your argument is that being super rich / powerful makes you immune to all the little neuroses that plague the human condition? I mean all it takes is one crazy person with their finger on the big red button and I don't know if you've been outside recently but there are a lot of crazy people. Good thing being rich / powerful cures that apparently. Trump2016

What war has ever happened because people were just fuckin nuts and not actually because some wealthy people thought they could come up?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Moridin920 posted:

What war has ever happened because people were just fuckin nuts and not actually because some wealthy people thought they could come up?

Wars for big countries are also an option to boost social stability or even just straight weird internal political reasons. See: Israel.

Also reality and what rich people believe can pretty easily drift off apart.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

This is an aside, but the Battlefield season 1 episode on the Battle of Stalingrad is epic. I did a quick search for it on Youtube, and it looks like most of the videos are locked out in the US. I did find this one, which has some weird video poo poo going on but still appears to have the whole episode. I remember being taken aback despite being pretty well-versed in World War II before watching it.

The whole Battlefield series is great, but I really only watched the first season completely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhC1LmgJ1MU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

doubting mechs is stupid pre-aircraft carrier type thinking, and whoever builds enough of them is going to wreck the poo poo out of the US.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
So how do you supply mechs in areas only mechs can access? More mechs!

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Heres an idea: Double Tanks

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

T-14 is right, sticking dudes in the turret is stupid

also someone please revive the US superheavy projects

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Russia had the right idea, imo.

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax

lDDQD posted:

Tracks are also very vulnerable, and will lead to an immobilized tank, if damaged. On flat terrain, obviously a tank is the superior vehicle: it will be faster and heavier (more weight translates into better protection). With a mech, you make the tradeoff of having a slower, less heavily-armored vehicle, but be able to negotiate any terrain. You could, in theory, deploy mechs to an areas traditionally only accessible by helicopter.

What about hovertanks? Or tanks equipped with some form of VTOL or jump-boost combined with a hovering ability?

No worries about furry little humanoids throwing a bunch of logs at your mechanized legs for you to hobble over.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

mech can get taken down by ewoks soooooo

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
They could call it 'frank the tank'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Isaac posted: