Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
:siren:Active goon servers and goon villages:siren:
  • Wyvern: This is the public server cluster with the highest player count, and right now we're in a powerful player-made kingdom with a very large portion of the PvP server all to ourselves. Currently we're building a ridiculously well-defended fortress but it's chilled out enough here that newbies can build their own personal houses and other construction projects nearby without any risk of hostile pubbies wrecking it. You can teleport instantly to the goon fortress by following the directions at the end of this post.

Useful Links
Buy Wurm Unlimited directly through Steam for $29.99
Official Website
Official Forums
Official Wiki
Download Budda's community map generator
Download an improved map generator with better mountain regions
Goon Steam group for Wurm Unlimited

Why you should try this game
There's been a lot of buggy and unfinished multiplayer survival sandbox games lately on Early Access, but Wurm has been around for years and has actually implemented its feature list and fixed most of the bugs. The graphics are dated but generally acceptable, and it's pretty well optimized for a Java game, and if you tweak the graphics settings you can run it on any computer made within the last several years without any slowdown. I've personally had a lot of fun just roaming through the remote corners of the wilderness searching for valuables in the corpses of less fortune travelers, and breaking into other peoples houses and releasing all of the giant monster scorpions they had carefully penned up in their backyards. Of course if random acts of larceny aren't your thing you can also just quietly and safely build a house on a PvE private server and methodically arrange your bookshelves and floral arrangements. There's also options for organized PvP with player-made kingdoms with custom flags and tabards, although combat in Wurm is primitive and text-based instead of physics-based, and it's mostly only useful as an incentive to build elaborate fortifications, and as a solution for squatters and rude neighbors.

Trailers and Screenshots
Timelapse video of creating a house and farm
Timelapse video of building a giant cathedral
Organized PvP in a partially submerged mine tunnel

Glue yourself to a bear's rear end and ride circles around random strangers while spamming a garden gnome item that plays a cheesy Christmas-themed jingle that's audible to everyone near you in-game:

Build a quaint little hamlet with your internet friends and pass each other gift-wrapped food and shovels while cordially sipping tea in your trellis-lined garden:

This plaza is a good example of a vanity megaproject. Goons have built a lot of these, but most of them were made long ago in uglier versions of the game:

Interior a multi-story building filled with decorative furniture objects. There's not actually any point to making a tavern in this game and nobody would do anything there unless they're roleplaying or whatever but it's an appropriate place to store barrels of wine while they slowly age:

Exploit bad pathfinding AI to powerlevel your archery skills through the roof. Just kidding you don't even need to powerlevel anymore unless you're playing on a crap server with the default skill gain rate settings:

Construct bridges over treacherous terrain or between buildings to create elaborate 3D architecture. Fun fact, if you make a bridge between two or more building pylons, you can leave the floor/roof off one of the pylons and create a semi-hidden trapdoor that can drop unsuspecting pubbies multiple stories down into a locked dungeon full of bears:

History
Wurm Unlimited was originally started in 2003 as an indie MMO called Wurm Online. It was a collaboration between Swedish friends Rolf Jansson and Markus Persson, aka Notch, who left the team in 2007 to create Minecraft. Wurm Online was largely overlooked by the public because of the punishing grind, the awful community, the unintuitive interface, the janky graphics, and the slow pace of updates and bug fixes. Over the years, Rolf has increased the size of the development team and fixed most of the issues that plagued early versions of the game, and the last remaining problems have been addressed by the new Wurm Unlimited version which can be configured or modded to reduce or remove the grind, and can be played in single-player mode or with a group of friends on a private server to avoid the griefers and spergs.

Features
  • Powerful terraforming system: Dig or dredge dirt from one portion of the map and dump it on another to create level building foundations, massive earthworks for defensive fortifications, or ramps for traversing ravines and cliffs. Trees can be chopped down and replanted, along with several types of ornamental plants and decorative landscaping objects. Mine elaborate tunnels through solid rock to find metal ores and magic gems.
  • Free-form building and road construction: Plan out and build sprawling multi-story mansions or dick-shaped castles with a variety of building materials and architectural styles. Connect them several different types of paved roads to improve movement speeds and provide easily navigable travel routes.
  • Classless skill-based character progression: There are no character classes, experience-based levels, or skill caps - any character can eventually master every skill, craft every item, and use any spell or ability in the game. Skills and attributes are increased automatically by performing relevant actions.
  • Create, buy or sell tons of craftable items in a player-driven economy: Because Wurm has been around for so long there's an enormous amount of stuff you can make. Lots of decorative furniture items have been added to appease the carebears on the official servers that have paid Rolf's bills for so long. In addition, nearly everything in the game must be crafted by players, so barter and trade is very important and players can make good money by setting up and stocking NPC vendors or by delivering crates full of construction materials and other commodities.
  • Full-loot PvP with vehicles and siege weapons: Join a private server with PvP enabled and you can own scrubs by bashing in their skulls with a locational damage system and stealing everything they own and building a wall around their corpse.
  • Ships, horseback riding, and horse-driven vehicles: Tame and breed wild horses to create fast mounts for inter-village travel or tough mounts for mounted combat, and accessorize them with barding, saddles, and horseshoes. Hitch horses, bison, or other livestock to carts or wagons to quickly haul bulk goods or other players across the map. Construct and pilot wooden ships from small sailing boats to large merchant ships that can carry an entire village between servers.
  • Large, uncharted wilderness maps with hidden villages and crumbling ruins: Long-distance travel is a dangerous and involving task - you may need to map out a route yourself and stock up on food, medical supplies, and various survival tools. The lack of a minimap or fast travel option means that remote and dangerous places stay isolated and pristine. If you play on an established server you can expect to find secluded gated communities and neglected ruins full of abandoned player-made loot in parts of the map where few people travel. You can also link multiple private servers into clusters and sail between maps by crossing over the map borders in a boat.
  • Moddable server code: The client and server source code are written in Java, and with a decompiler and enough programming experience you can modify many of the game features. Unofficial mod loaders are available now for both the client and server code, and mods are available that let you remove priest restrictions from private servers, or gain in-game currency from defeating strong NPC mobs, or disable trees from being displayed on your client so you never get lost in the woods.

Try the original MMO version for free
If you want to try before you buy, you can download the free client for the original Wurm Online. Characters without a paid subscription (8 euros per month) have a skill level cap and cannot ride horses, pilot most boats, bash down structures, or craft some high-end items. In addition, the grind is brutal and the difficulty curve is steep without help from an established village of other players. Remember that the tedious gameplay experience in the Wurm Online MMO is not necessarily representative of the gameplay in Wurm Unlimited, and you can adjust the settings or use mods to eliminate any bullshit you encountered in the original game.

Game modes
  • Adventure Mode: Single-player introduction to the game with NPC villagers, randomized quests, and a few pre-placed structures. Recommended for new players to learn how the controls and game mechanics work, but not particularly deep or interesting.
  • Creative Mode: Single-player mode with an empty game world. You can import your own map, adjust the game server settings, and enable GM mode for yourself so you can spawn in items or creatures and terraform large areas instantly.
  • Private Servers: Like creative mode but multi-player. You can run a small private server on your personal computer but larger ones will need a dedicated server. Rental servers are not available publicly yet for Wurm Unlimited but should be ready shortly after release.
  • Wurm Online: The original MMO version of the game with a massive game world separated into multiple servers connected into clusters. This is a separate version from Wurm Unlimited but most of the game mechanics are identical. Be mindful of the terrible grind and horrible community, also you have to purchase a subscription to be useful at anything.

Survival tips
  • New characters receive buffs for the first 24 hours of playing time that reduce your need for food/water, increase your healing rate, (but not healing frequency) and reduce the aggro range of hostile mobs. You can also use NPC bartender characters to instantly refill your food and water bars. Also don't forget to make good use of your newbie tent - it acts as a spawnpoint, an item container, and a hitching post for a single animal. Make sure you lock it too with a small or large padlock.
  • You can drink water or fill containers with water from any tile that's at least partially submerged. Many villages have wells or fountains built on tiles marked as water springs that automatically refill. The easiest container you can make for storing water is the pottery jar, check your in-game recipe list or the official Wurm wiki for recipes.
  • You can eat raw food items but it's an inefficient way to refill your food bar, and it will greatly decrease your nutrition bar, which gives a small skill gain penalty and makes your food bar deplete faster in the future. You can easily make casseroles by putting 2 or more different categories of food items (herbs, vegetables, bread, berries and meat/fish) in a pottery bowl and putting it inside an oven, (preferred) or a forge or campfire for a few minutes.
  • Taking any sort of injury will give you a 30-second movement speed debuff. Wounds to the foot or leg areas will give an additional movement penalty proportional to the severity of the injury until the wound is healed. If you still have the newbie healing buff then medium wounds and lighter will heal by themselves in 15-minute intervals. Anything worse than that must be bandaged with cotton or treated with healing covers made from mixing various herbs, animal parts, and mushrooms.
  • Mobs in this game don't tether - once you catch aggro from a hostile mob it will chase you until either it dies, you die, something else attacks it, it becomes unable to path to you, or you run far enough ahead that you leave its aggro distance. Movement penalties can easily get you killed while running from hostile mobs so take care of lower body wounds right away. Most mobs are unable to swim so running straight into deep water is a good way to escape, but make sure you have some stamina left over so you don't drown on your way back to shore.
  • Once you have 21 body control you can ride a horse. If you don't have 21 body control, either find a private server with higher starting characteristics, or grind body control by making plain wooden arrow shafts in bulk and firing them at archery targets or roving herds of bison. You will also need to either a tame a horse first or start leading one with a rope to ride it. Horses can be tamed with vegetables or grains and it may take a few tries until you reach 10+ animal taming skill.
  • You can wear a backback but this will give you a combat penalty for some dumb reason. Just keep it in your main inventory tree instead.
  • You will need to acquire a weapon and a set of armor to defeat any mobs stronger than a pig. Two-handed weapons and aggressive fighting are the best way to quickly defeat low and mid-level mobs, but a large shield and normal or defensive fighting is recommended for powerful mobs with high attack power. The easiest types of armor to make are leather and chainmail. Wearing armor gives a small movement penalty so you may want to remove it when traveling through safe areas.

How to get to the Wyvern PvP server where the main goon village is located
It looks like the Wyvern GMs added a one-way portal from the spawn on the PvE server to each of the default kingdom spawns on the PvP server, so now it's possible to create a new character and teleport him directly to the goon fortress. When you first spawn in on the Wyvern cluster, you'll be in Stronghold and should see some helpful signposts:

The portal building is located on the northeast section of town, near the Church of the Three:

Go down the alleyway and the portal house will be right in front of you:

Right-click on the giant crystal thing and select "use". Choose the "Horde of the Summoned" kingdom and confirm that you want to teleport:

This will take you pretty close to the goon fortress. Look for a lake to your east and travel north along the shore. Type /invitations into your chat bar to allow us to send you a kingdom invite, and also enable cross-kingdom private messages by opening up your paperdoll, right-clicking your body icon in the lower-left corner, then select "Manage" -> "Profile". Try sending a private message to Gmjohnnyrascal, Orty, or Spyde, or add us on steam to get in contact so we can send you a village and kingdom invite. Once that's done, you can instantly teleport to the goon fortress by typing /vteleport into your chat bar.

Ziggy Starfucker fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
I've been playing around with Budda's map generator and I think this map will work well for a goons-only creative mode private server. I can still make some tweaks according to feedback from this thread, and I'll probably need to playtest it briefly in-game to make sure I didn't create forests made entirely from apple trees or whatever:

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Jeez this takes me back. I remember the first time I went up the Wellevator to Bearback Mountain. :allears:

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

TehKeen posted:

Jeez this takes me back. I remember the first time I went up the Wellevator to Bearback Mountain. :allears:

Oh yeah Bearback Mountain was and still remains the greatest goon village we ever built with over 100 members at its peak. They've added a lot of features since then, mostly notable multi-story buildings, bridges, vehicles and mounts, and a crapload of random decorative objects that pubbie carebears have been requesting over the years. Also for context, the "Wellevator" of Bearback Mountain was a neat exploit discovered by Aquarium of Lies where joining two mine tunnels at greatly different elevations would create a glitchy ramp tile that would "bounce" players up when they tried walking into it. This allowed us to quickly climb up the mountain peak near town, and it would also cause a client-side bug where your character wouldn't take fall damage until the next time you logged out. For a while we would initiate newbies by taking them up the Wellevator to the peak of Bearback Mountain and asking them to take a leap of faith. Most newbies were pretty cool about it while others required a bit of encouragement, and later we would explain that the Great Bear was pleased with their faith and had protected them. A few guys didn't catch on that it was a glitch caused by walking up the Wellevator though and fell to their deaths when trying to jump off other mountains. Last I checked this glitch is still present and very useful for traveling through unpaved wilderness, although I think I'll make a mod to allow GM characters to secretly toggle fall damage for individual players on our private servers.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

^^ Aquarium is actually my best friend from high school ages ago, he was the one who got me to try Wurm in the first place. :D ^^

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

TehKeen posted:

^^ Aquarium is actually my best friend from high school ages ago, he was the one who got me to try Wurm in the first place. :D ^^

Oh nice, were you Goldenjoe in-game? I was Johnnyrascal, although I lost the account long ago when I quit for a few years and lent the account to a pubbie. Are you still in touch with Aquarium by the way? I haven't seen him since Freedom Server but last I checked he was doing pretty well as an engineer for a vending machine company or something.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
I'd play this game again if it wasn't bogged down by the worst game engine ever (java) and had improved controls and had little to no skill grind.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

CountingWizard posted:

I'd play this game again if it wasn't bogged down by the worst game engine ever (java) and had improved controls and had little to no skill grind.

There's no more grind, private servers have settings for skill gain rate and initial skills/stats for new characters. You can also change the settings when playing in creative mode in single-player. You can also adjust how long actions take to complete so you can build wall sections almost instantly, or you can make yourself a GM in single-player mode or on your own private server so you can spawn in bulk building materials, manually set your skill levels, and instantly complete actions. Or you could manually edit the database backend of your private server or write a mod that affects skill gain and action timers, so there's like 4 or 5 different ways to remove all grinding now.

Regarding the controls, most actions are now bindable to hotkeys either through the client launcher or in-game through the console, and several new UI windows have been added like a drag-and-drop equipment paperdoll, a crafting UI with an action queue and recipe list, and selection and target windows with buttons for performing actions instead of going through the right-click menu. I would also expect mods to be written soon for a minimap, 3rd person camera, and maybe a jump button. Oh also you can drag items directly between container windows now instead of having to move them through your inventory in multiple steps, and there's a command to drop dirt on the ground as an item pile instead of immediately using it to raise the ground level.

The game engine is still written in Java but it seems to run better than most other sandbox games I've played recently, and it's also possible to modify the Java source code just like the early Minecraft mods.

Ziggy Starfucker fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 19, 2015

Dreaddor
Apr 7, 2006

I bought this thing. I figure this will be my one last hurrah at Wurm. I'll probably dick around on my own little world for a week or two creating things I've always wanted to do on the official servers but didn't have the patience for. Then maybe mess around with goons for a bit.

Jackdonkey
May 31, 2007
I'm cautiously optimistic. I think it'd be pretty cool to seed animals and such. Good excuse to learn more Java too.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

Oh nice, were you Goldenjoe in-game? I was Johnnyrascal, although I lost the account long ago when I quit for a few years and lent the account to a pubbie. Are you still in touch with Aquarium by the way? I haven't seen him since Freedom Server but last I checked he was doing pretty well as an engineer for a vending machine company or something.

Nah, I never played it for any long amount of time. And yeah, I am - he's doing well but isn't in the vending machine business anymore. I linked him this thread, he might pop in in a few days. :)

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

I've been playing around with Budda's map generator and I think this map will work well for a goons-only creative mode private server. I can still make some tweaks according to feedback from this thread, and I'll probably need to playtest it briefly in-game to make sure I didn't create forests made entirely from apple trees or whatever:

Shouldn't there be some dirt and trees up in the mountains? Seems like making anything up there would be a giant pain in the rear end. Or was that the point?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Depends posted:

Shouldn't there be some dirt and trees up in the mountains? Seems like making anything up there would be a giant pain in the rear end. Or was that the point?

Yeah that looks less like a land and more like a nightmare as its just constant steep hills.

Being playing around with that map maker myself as don't like the 2 maps the game is coming with, and its pretty easy to create a map that suits how you want to play the game. Really looking forward to tomorrow as while I was never much a fan of Wurm due to the grind, but this gets rid of the grind completely as you can set the action timers and skill gain to be what you want it to be. If anything its rather telling how bad it is on the old wurm servers in that a server one of the dev's is creating he is setting the action timers and skill gain to be x3 - so even the games devs don't like the slow speed the original has.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
What's tomorrow?

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Biowarfare posted:

What's tomorrow?

Wurm Unlimited unlocks tomorrow at around 11AM EST - do you think you can still get a private server set up? I'll keep working on that map and see if I can get a more terraced look to the mountains with steep cliffs on most sides and more level land on top for building stuff. The valley areas are probably level enough but I'll have to take a look in-game to verify first.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Send me pm with detail in how to set up. I don't purchase it yet.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
Oh god, no, don't pull me back into Wurm again. :negative:

Thuneral
Jul 25, 2004
High Listener For Music Awful

Noooo stop keeping us up to date with this terrible game.

Wait... you have to pay for this now? :v:

hahahahahahahha

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
The dedicated server is released.

Screenshots of the key tweaks you can do to the server on start, showing that you can really customize the game to remove the stupid slow speed of the original game -

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
drat it, I think I'll have to buy this.. Still remember fondly giving this a try many years ago (maybe around 2005/2006?), building my own hut in a goon village took ages, but few things have felt as satisfying as that.

Edit: What the gently caress, apparently this is not available in Germany? So much for that..
Edit2: Okay, now it works.. no idea.

voodoo dog fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 21, 2015

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
Alright I tweaked the map settings to erode the flat areas some more, and I modified Budda's source code so I could add dirt in two separate steps for the lower and higher altitudes:

Here's a topographic map too - the coastal areas are pretty large and should have plenty of flat land to easily build large villages and homesteads, the plateaus will be harder to terraform but still have about 60 dirt per corner on most areas and should be manageable, especially with the fast actions and skill gain. The rugged interior valleys will be a pain to terraform but those are meant to block travel and line of sight so people can make little hermit huts in privacy:

Once the game unlocks in Steam I'll check out the map in-game and verify it looks fine and then I'll upload it.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Would advise you to use the GM powers to fly around and find a suitable starting spot and set that in the server options, as looking at the dedicated server you have various options for starting point, but unless you want it be random for every player you have to scout out the map, find a spot and then set that in the server options.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I remember trying to get into this a long time ago, but it was pretty limited without a subscription, so I'm down for private servers with modded XP rates and such.

If anyone hasn't bought it yet, GMG has it for $26.99.

Add voucher 20PERC-HARVST-SAVING from the sidebar for an extra 20% off, bringing it to $21.60, which is slightly cheaper than the link in the OP.

Orty
May 14, 2007

I will definitely be joining in on this. I was in on the village with the long land bridge (forgot the name, anyone know/have pictures?). And one other village that was hidden in the mountains that we would launch raids from.

Mr. Torrance
Sep 16, 2006
Have you ever thought about MY RESPONSIBILITIES?

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

Images of the map

Is there any way to generate a map with rivers and such that run through it or are you limited to lakes and the "sea" surrounding the landmass?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

TehKeen posted:

I remember that place. We built a 5 tile wide road all the way to the town where everybody spawns; 3 tiles wide with cobblestone or whatever and then one tile of sand on either side to slow down monsters.. I remember one group made a lovely little road that followed the terrain while we gave the world a double middle finger and plowed through everything, it was two perfectly straight roads with plans for an NPC merchant at the crossroads. There was a mildly tall mountain on the last stretch to newbie town so we just made a ramp over it. You had to walk on the ramp or you would get hurt from fall damage. I even remember the height difference between tiles could only be a maximum of 20 or you would get fall damage. Not too long after I left, the admins decided to Stalin the memory of Goon Highway and then some goons dug up the ramp in anger.

I have no intention of playing a single person version of this grindfest, even if you can change it so everything is faster and easier.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 21, 2015

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Biowarfare posted:

Send me pm with detail in how to set up. I don't purchase it yet.

Sent you a PM with some setup instructions and a map download link, lemme know if you have any questions

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

If someone buys this for me I will play forever. Ha-ha.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Mr. Torrance posted:

Is there any way to generate a map with rivers and such that run through it or are you limited to lakes and the "sea" surrounding the landmass?

Unfortunately the water level is a constant so you can't have bodies of water above sea level. You could carve sea level channels through the middle of the map but I'll need to find or write a new map generator that can handle that - right now Budda's map generator just makes a world using perlin noise and you can't raise or lower sections of the heightmap. It should be possible to mod in rivers and other elevated bodies of water but I would expect that to be pretty complicated. Also I think all maps have to have water on the edges, but that might be more easily modded.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Yaos posted:

I remember that place. We built a 5 tile wide road all the way to the town where everybody spawns; 3 tiles wide with cobblestone or whatever and then one tile of sand on either side to slow down monsters.. I remember one group made a lovely little road that followed the terrain while we gave the world a double middle finger and plowed through everything, it was two perfectly straight roads with plans for an NPC merchant at the crossroads. There was a mildly tall mountain on the last stretch to newbie town so we just made a ramp over it. You had to walk on the ramp or you would get hurt from fall damage. I even remember the height difference between tiles could only be a maximum of 20 or you would get fall damage. Not too long after I left, the admins decided to Stalin the memory of Goon Highway and then some goons dug up the ramp in anger.

I have no intention of playing a single person version of this grindfest, even if you can change it so everything is faster and easier.

I still have an axe with your name on it.

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Oh my god, this is absolutely awesome. I loved Wurm - even tried to get back into it a couple of months back, but couldn't really find enough people to play with. Hopefully this'll bring some more people back to the game. =D

I love open-world/survival/simulation/building games, but none of the ones I have played have managed to get the balance quite right - Wurm definitely came closest for me so having a single or multiplayer version rather than MMO is awesome!

Are there any major differences gameplay-wise between this and the MMO version? Apart from being able to select multipliers for your game on launch?

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Lor posted:

Oh my god, this is absolutely awesome. I loved Wurm - even tried to get back into it a couple of months back, but couldn't really find enough people to play with. Hopefully this'll bring some more people back to the game. =D

I love open-world/survival/simulation/building games, but none of the ones I have played have managed to get the balance quite right - Wurm definitely came closest for me so having a single or multiplayer version rather than MMO is awesome!

Are there any major differences gameplay-wise between this and the MMO version? Apart from being able to select multipliers for your game on launch?

There's some more tutorial stuff and a randomly generated quest mode that probably sucks, but that's mostly it - Wurm Unlimited is using mostly the same code used by the latest MMO version. Also looks like Bio's private server is gonna be delayed until a Linux version of the server build is released. There's no ETA for that but I'm guessing it'll be about a week. In the meantime I've got a temporary server called 'Dongpit' with 20 slots, the password is lljk. I'll be on later tonight if anyone needs teleports, GM priveledges, or silver for making a village deed

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie
:justtrans:

she/her
Taco Defender

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

TehKeen posted:

Nah, I never played it for any long amount of time. And yeah, I am - he's doing well but isn't in the vending machine business anymore. I linked him this thread, he might pop in in a few days. :)

hi

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

This is literally what I've wanted from Wurm for /years/. I've wished and pleaded and begged for a single player/moddable version of this game. I wouldn't have had a loving clue it was out if I wasn't Steam friends with Ziggy and just happened to see him log onto it.

EDIT: I can't find Dongpit :smith:

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 22, 2015

Daidoji
Jun 13, 2001

Perception is Reality.
Hey old friends :)

Can't see the server either.

Make sure you forwarded the external port. The port setting defaults to having different internal and external ports. Just in case you didn't notice.

Registered Loser
Dec 29, 2006

Seaman checking in here, let the wurm begin!

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

In the meantime I've got a temporary server called 'Dongpit' with 20 slots, the password is lljk. I'll be on later tonight if anyone needs teleports, GM priveledges, or silver for making a village deed

That's awesome, thank you dude. I can't see it though - maybe some ports need to be forwarded or something?

REALLY looking forward to getting back into this.

I've forgotten most of my Wurm knowledge though. Created a "local" server to test things out and almost immediately got owned by 4 NPC guards for some reason. Maybe selecting "none" for my kingdom was a bad idea? It's been a long time..

Daidoji
Jun 13, 2001

Perception is Reality.

Lor posted:

I've forgotten most of my Wurm knowledge though. Created a "local" server to test things out and almost immediately got owned by 4 NPC guards for some reason. Maybe selecting "none" for my kingdom was a bad idea? It's been a long time..

Yeah, setting faction to none is the same as being an outlaw.

Anyway, been having fun just hosting local to get re-familiarized with the game. Even with the 3x skill rate, I remembered just how grindy adventuring alone is.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Orty posted:

I will definitely be joining in on this. I was in on the village with the long land bridge (forgot the name, anyone know/have pictures?). And one other village that was hidden in the mountains that we would launch raids from.

The land bridge village was Bearcatraz - it was probably the most labor-intensive megaproject we ever undertook, and the burnout from it was horrible. The story is that we stole a little volcanic island from a pubbie squatter on a PvE server after using an exploit to catapult his shack, then we dug up the coastline for dirt until we hit bedrock and then the bedrock started belching lava. We hauled all the dirt one cartload at a time to Testvan who dumped it in the ocean and flatraised it to create a 2-tile-wide landfill bridge connecting this remote little island to the mainland. Here's a picture of the start of the landbridge, along with a corpse swastika courtesy of Dreadder.

And here's a view of the completed landbridge using a hacked client made with stolen source code that we had for like a month or two until our hacker got bored and moved on to another game. That's another good story that I don't think I've shared publicly before.

The hidden mountain raiding village was Tora Beara, it was raided successfully once while under construction by two elite pubbies who attacked during our off-hours and abused farwalker amulets to escape our gankmob. After that nobody tried raiding us because getting over there was a giant pain in the rear end and getting up the mountain was like twice as bad, and then we all got bored again and quit and then friendly pubbies took over our fortress and made it even more ridiculously fortified than it previously was. I think it's still around to this day on Chaos server, although I'd have to ask around to confirm that. Here's what Tora Beara looked like before and after the pubbies took it over.

It's really nice to see a lot of familiar names here, I'll write up some more stories later about all the major goon villages and cool stuff that I saw people do or make. Also yeah the port forwarding settings are messed up on my temporary server and I can't figure out how to fix them quickly so I just rented the cheapest server I could get from Bluefang hosting. The name is now "Bearpit" and the password is the same, right now it's set to 25 slots and if we get a big enough turnout to bog it down I'll start asking for contributions so I can rent a larger server.

Ziggy Starfucker fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Oct 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

There's some more tutorial stuff and a randomly generated quest mode that probably sucks, but that's mostly it - Wurm Unlimited is using mostly the same code used by the latest MMO version. Also looks like Bio's private server is gonna be delayed until a Linux version of the server build is released. There's no ETA for that but I'm guessing it'll be about a week. In the meantime I've got a temporary server called 'Dongpit' with 20 slots, the password is lljk. I'll be on later tonight if anyone needs teleports, GM priveledges, or silver for making a village deed

The Linux server was released the same time as the Windows one. Issue is with it in order to run it headless (i.e. command line) you first need to set it up on a machine with a GUI as you can't setup all the options via the command line. There is a guide how to do it all via steamcmd on the wurm wiki.

• Locked thread