Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

This is a space game that exists and is good, so that is a nice change. Still putting around in the first system and enjoying it. I found I was making more from trading than from missions, so I joined the merchant guild and did a few missions to get enough rep to buy their Turath ship that has 24 cargo space. I like the look of the scarab, with its reasonable cargo and multitude of turrets. Hoping to trade myself up enough cash to get it today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
This might be a dumb question, but is there a screen that actually shows what your rep with various factions is? I didn't see one looking through the keybinds or options menus.

(Also I was dumb and rolled up at a militia station with a cargo hold full of narco-cola, so it tanked all my rep with them and they opened fire to chase me off :downs: )

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

This might be a dumb question, but is there a screen that actually shows what your rep with various factions is? I didn't see one looking through the keybinds or options menus.
Hit ctrl while you are out in space to bring up the radial menu. Your faction reputation is shown on the same screen.

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer
Beer brought me here.

Also, I own it.
:neckbeard:

thanks, bye.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

God no. These guys are perpetually awful.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Does anyone else get weird periods where no music plays?

There might be moments when none's meant to. I'd be alright if most music would restrict itself to dogfights, just so I don't get tired of the music sooner. Good thing however that this game - at least on PC - lets you specify a custom music directory for when that day comes.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Some of the tracks off the sons of anarchy various season soundtracks mesh real well with the vibe

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l63woNPg9I

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer
A good tip if you are just starting out: make your way to the Merchant Guild HQ and sign up. It's 10k for a membership but the missions there pay for it quickly. I got one that you have to source 12 units of tachyon salt and pays 200k credits. Tacyon salt seems to go for 7~11k credits, so even if you buy high, you make enough profit to make it worthwhile. Plus they sell ships that you can't get anywhere else.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

5er posted:

God no. These guys are perpetually awful.

:shrug: That's like like the only song from them I like.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Shaquin posted:

Some of the tracks off the sons of anarchy various season soundtracks mesh real well with the vibe

Could you provide a list?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How the heck do you handle those Korian Feeding Frenzy missions? As soon as you arrive there are no less than 500,000 ships shooting billions of projectiles at you and it just tears through everything in half a second.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
One thing I've noticed is my mouse doesn't work too well selecting menu options, it doesn't really sync to them. I can use the keyboard to select them just fine, but my first instinct is to use the mouse. Anyone else notice this?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Robzilla posted:

:shrug: That's like like the only song from them I like.

Same here

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
For you guys starting out who just want to get money early on, find the merchant's guild hub in the first area and just grind out missions for them. Getting higher merchant's guild ranks gives you better missions for more money. Their two purchasable ships are also pretty drat good. It's probably best to rush through to the next area since the starting one is basically a tutorial, but their first purchasable ship is loads cheaper than the Tennhauser and about as effective in combat. They've got great armor on sale, and also ion cannons to make up for laser's lovely shield penetration.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
What's the biggest size ships you can captain? I saw a destroyer in the starter station but I assume there's bigger.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This game is pretty good. I like how unlike other space games you can mostly ignore the main quest and boring crap like mining pretty much immediately and get right to the shootin'. Combat could be a little tighter, I feel like most of the time I'm just running to catch up with the bad guys. That just might be because my ship is still junk though. Definitely play with a controller if you can. I love that everything is on a 2D plane and easy to navigate, so you're never that far away from some point of interest. Just a very chill game in general, I can see myself running a couple hours of this whenever I just wanna blow up stuff and unwind to space country.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
The key to winning bigger fights in this game seems to be knowing when to use deflector shields and when to use boost. Often going quickly around in circles boost and barfing flak all over the place takes care of all the fighters and my beams shred the capital ships.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

A buddy from the Freelancer days sent me a link to the soundtrack and a link to the steam page.

So far everything seems way above board but I thought I'd check in before I pulled the trigger on a purchase.

How's the important stuff, UI, ease of play, actually not being terrible/etc?

e; If I played the hell out of Sid's Pirates do I have a decent idea of what's going on with, you know, less dancing.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Dusty Lens posted:

A buddy from the Freelancer days sent me a link to the soundtrack and a link to the steam page.

So far everything seems way above board but I thought I'd check in before I pulled the trigger on a purchase.

e; If I played the hell out of Sid's Pirates do I have a decent idea of what's going on with, you know, less dancing.

it's great. assassins creed ship combat, cool sound track. it's good.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Dusty Lens posted:

Thread is only like 3 pages, and touches on all of this. But yes, its a similar idea to Pirates! The UI is good enough, a little weird at times, but works fine. The game is piss easy to pick up and get going with, and there is some truly difficult stuff to fight through. The game is really good, and for 20 bux its a steal.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Insert name here posted:

What's the biggest size ships you can captain? I saw a destroyer in the starter station but I assume there's bigger.
I think dreadnoughts are the biggest, they've got like double digit broadside and turret counts ad are just ridiculously huge looking.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

For you guys starting out who just want to get money early on, find the merchant's guild hub in the first area and just grind out missions for them. Getting higher merchant's guild ranks gives you better missions for more money. Their two purchasable ships are also pretty drat good. It's probably best to rush through to the next area since the starting one is basically a tutorial, but their first purchasable ship is loads cheaper than the Tennhauser and about as effective in combat. They've got great armor on sale, and also ion cannons to make up for laser's lovely shield penetration.
In addition I don't want to say rush the second sector, but if you have a lot of mission boards clocking in under normal difficulty don't waste time, because money making just accelerates when the game takes off the training wheels. Not just new magnitudes of pay for better equipped enemies, but you end up getting extra pay if a mission involves system jumps. And then you can funnel all that sweet cash into making trips into the next sector to grab the next level of gear, and its all just got such a nice momentum, even if I keep forgetting to do story missions until well after they turn into low difficulty.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Don't forget to throw in the dukes of hazard and a team themes in there :colbert:.

Is there a list of ships and where to buy them?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah it's basically combine the Pirate ship sailing bits of Assassin's Creed with the port mechanics of Pirates! and then set it on a 2d plane in space.

e: and by 'pirate ship bits of assassin's creed' I mean it literally lifts and copies the basic control scheme.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

FrancoFish posted:

Thread is only like 3 pages, and touches on all of this. But yes, its a similar idea to Pirates! The UI is good enough, a little weird at times, but works fine. The game is piss easy to pick up and get going with, and there is some truly difficult stuff to fight through. The game is really good, and for 20 bux its a steal.

These are all true points. Though I was hoping to get a few additional opinions on the UI/meat and potatoes rather than the soundtrack being awesome and the other glowing first reaction responses.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
These ships i saw purchasable in the tutorial station, are they the only ones available to me in the game?

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Dongattack posted:

These ships i saw purchasable in the tutorial station, are they the only ones available to me in the game?

No I believe the total count is twentyish spread throughout the game.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Shaquin posted:

No I believe the total count is twentyish spread throughout the game.

neat

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I've made it to the second system and it seems that more missions types and random encounters have appeared. I was forcibly dropped out of warp in a random encounter, and there was a mission that had about a billion fighters that all blew me up with their missiles even though the risk was low. :argh:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Yaos posted:

I've made it to the second system and it seems that more missions types and random encounters have appeared. I was forcibly dropped out of warp in a random encounter, and there was a mission that had about a billion fighters that all blew me up with their missiles even though the risk was low. :argh:

If it was a Korian Swarm, they tell you to prepare for lots and lots of fighters.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dusty Lens posted:

Dusty Lens posted:

meat and potatoes

UI is plain but totally functional and doesn't hitch anywhere that I've seen. The inventory management stuff is built for consoles, the list style of scrolling through options ala skyrim.

Ease of play: do you have a gamepad hooked to your PC? If so it's great. If not, there's some kinda off stuff with keyboard and mouse. Playable but you're gonna have to adapt to the weirdness of some elements. (The weapon cycling adaptation is particularly bad and I feel like that will become kinda detrimental when you scale up to bigger ships with more guns.)

Meat and potatoes: too early to really tell but the basic loop of combat vs doing other things is good. Broadside combat is fun, and there seem to be many different options for tactics plus building your loadout to support your style. It's very much a Privateer / Freelancer type game so the whole point is kinda building better gear on bigger ships.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
This game is so good. (How do I mine asteroids?)

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

This game is worth it just for this thread, where I discovered Dark Country.

Best music thread on the forums

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

That's it. I am adding AC4's sea shanties to the playlist. Have to find the files though.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How is this fault detector supposed to work? I use the lovely pulse thing, but all the asteroids still look exactly the same, no red lines or whatever to be seen.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Bogart posted:

This game is so good. (How do I mine asteroids?)

Pulse scan, then shoot the marked ones. Shoot with mining lasers to get more stuff, shot with mining lasers at a fault line marked by a special upgrade to get even more.

Faults look like glowing red circles.

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer

5er posted:

That's it. I am adding AC4's sea shanties to the playlist. Have to find the files though.

I'm in the same boat :rimshot:

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I played a bunch of this last night and I really like it. Liking it even more as I get used to the way the combat feels and moving my ship. Just wish I could have a flak cannon mounted behind me so I can poo poo out big clouds of metal while I deal with enemy frigates. I really enjoy getting RIGHT next to enemy, don't have to wait for the aim to charge up because they're so drat close. Boosting whenever they boost to stay close to them gives a great feel too.

The 2D plane thing doesn't bother me too much but I think it would benefit from some sort of illusion of 3D movement. In Black Flag the waves added a great dynamic feel to the movement that I think Rebel Galaxy would benefit from. I want to crest giant Space Waves in the middle of a giant Space Hurricane! :black101::black101:

I'm loving the mining laser too, glad it's a good weapon too so I don't have to waste a hard point on it. I don't do much pulse-scanning but there are certain (rare?) asteroids that are black with blueish lines through them? They always drop rare or expensive goods and they stand out so I like to pop them whenever I'm nearby.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

So the OP says the PS4 version was supposed to be out already, whats going on there?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I honestly can't decide if I like pulse turrets or particle beams for my turrets..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

BabelFish posted:

I honestly can't decide if I like pulse turrets or particle beams for my turrets..

Just go half and half.

• Locked thread