Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Are the books worth reading? I hadn't even heard of them before the show. How many are there and how many seasons of the show do you think they could get out of them?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

Are the books worth reading? I hadn't even heard of them before the show. How many are there and how many seasons of the show do you think they could get out of them?

The books are very much worth reading and there are nine books with the latest having been published this past October. And as they have condensed some characters and plot points in the show, I'd say maybe 4-5 seasons can come out of it, but no telling until we see how far they get in the book material by the end of the season.

e: Warriors of the Storm was only published in October and isn't available until January, but depending on how fast you read and how into them you are, won't matter for new readers because it will take that long or more to read them all.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 17, 2015

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
That's cool, seems like they been published at a reasonable clip too.

It's also just nice to see another book based series that's quality. For example, I never read Terry Goodkind's Sword for Truth books myself, but they seemed pretty popular so I was disappointed when the show based on them wasn't very good.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

-Blackadder- posted:

That's cool, seems like they been published at a reasonable clip too.

It's also just nice to see another book based series that's quality. For example, I never read Terry Goodkind's Sword for Truth books myself, but they seemed pretty popular so I was disappointed when the show based on them wasn't very good.

The books themselves aren't really all that good. The show was probably about as good as you were going to get, budget aside, from that series.

Edit: A low tolerance for Objectivism really limits how much you'll like them.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Objectivism?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tooterfish posted:

Objectivism?

Being a selfish prick is morally justified.

I'm kind of condensing the holy words of St. Ayn Rand.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

No, I know what it is. I'm just not sure where exactly Cornwell pushes it.

Haven't read them in ages, but you'd think I'd remember something like that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tooterfish posted:

No, I know what it is. I'm just not sure where exactly Cornwell pushes it.

Haven't read them in ages, but you'd think I'd remember something like that.

Terry Godkin's Sword of Truth series. I actually haven't read any Cornwell that I can remember.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Oh sorry, completely missed that aside.

I'm a loving idiot, what can I say!

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Don't be so hard on yourself man, I didn't quite catch it at first either.

On a related note, just thinking about cool fantasy books that I would love to see come to TV:

The Elric Saga would be interesting as a crazy grim dark show.

There's also The Wheel of Time, though again, I never read them myself, but they seem popular. And FXX aired a shadow pilot for it recently, just to keep the rights from reverting apparently.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms seems like it would be the perfect Asian GoT.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

-Blackadder- posted:

RotTK already has about seven billion adaptions, just not in English. You could try checking out Three Kingdoms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYpJ37ulsnk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCm19G0YmmM

I haven't seen it myself, but it's the one that's meme-famous, for whatever that's worth.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

Don't be so hard on yourself man, I didn't quite catch it at first either.

On a related note, just thinking about cool fantasy books that I would love to see come to TV:

The Elric Saga would be interesting as a crazy grim dark show.

There's also The Wheel of Time, though again, I never read them myself, but they seem popular. And FXX aired a shadow pilot for it recently, just to keep the rights from reverting apparently.

The Wheel of Time would be really difficult to do--there are twice as many books in that series as in Game of Thrones, and each book, IIRC, is longer than any of the GoT books--and they are actually more complicated to me in terms of plot and characters. I imagine it'd take more than one season just for each single book, even if they heavily condensed the plot and merged characters like they've done with The Saxon Tales. Luckily for The Saxon Tales, each book is not overly long, and they still have to condense stuff to make it fit into a television show.

But man, I'm a longtime fan of The Wheel of Time, and I've always sort of fantasized (ha) about a TV series or movie sept/octilogy (or whatever the word is for nine, even) based on the series. The only thing I'd fear is the fact that I haven't read any of the books in a long time, and it would take me a whole month of nonstop reading just to finish one, even now--and I'd want to re-read them before watching any show or movie based on them. The big problem with the length of the books was that if you didn't read them literally one after the other, like if you left any time in between, so much happened in the books that by the time you did get to the next one, you already forgot what happened in the previous books.

I'd like to see an adaptation based on a lesser-known book series called The Raven's Shadow by Anthony Ryan. And also maybe a show or movie based on William C Dietz's Legion of the Damned novels.

e: Just read an article about that stealth pilot. Apparently the whole thing was a rush job and was actually based on, it seems, the prequel book. And it had Billy Zane in it, which would have killed the thing for me. If there is any adaptation to be done and done right, it should be on a premium channel like HBO or Starz and have Billy Zane nowhere near it. Ugh. I said the same thing (minus the Billy Zane part) about the AMC adaptation of Preacher, wherein Jesse Custer, the titular character, is played by Dominic Cooper. While I love him as an actor, hard to imagine a British actor playing a Texas boy, even though AMC does well at casting British actors and actresses ala Rick Grimes in TWD. Subject matter like Preacher has no place on a regular cable network, wherein the main character is an irreverent, violent preacher, his vampire buddy gets his dick shot off by a mob hit man, and the (bald) main villain gets cut across the top of his head so that it looks like a penis. Some adaptations just belong on premium networks that have fewer constraints on violence and nudity, and Preacher is one of those. At least WoT lacks the subject matter that would make a premium network a necessity, but it needs better production values than FXX.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 18, 2015

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Is there really a Preacher show coming out? And, yeah, I agree that it would have to be on a premium network to capture what made it truly enjoyable, it was just so over the top irreverent, had some great use of the most foul language possible, and had some gross humor and dick jokes that they probably won't be able to do on AMC. Too bad, it could've been a very unique type of show if they captured the right tone and spirit of the original property, sort of something like Starz has right now with Ash Vs The Evil Dead.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

savinhill posted:

Is there really a Preacher show coming out? And, yeah, I agree that it would have to be on a premium network to capture what made it truly enjoyable, it was just so over the top irreverent, had some great use of the most foul language possible, and had some gross humor and dick jokes that they probably won't be able to do on AMC. Too bad, it could've been a very unique type of show if they captured the right tone and spirit of the original property, sort of something like Starz has right now with Ash Vs The Evil Dead.

Yep. I mean, I'll probably still watch it to see what they do with it, but so far it seems to be missing Herr Starr and the Saint of Killers, so I'm already disappointed.

e: That said, the dude playing Cassidy looks to be born for the role. But AMC probably won't ever air a Cassidy origin episode, wherein we see him sucking a drug dealer's dick to get drugs back in the early 1900s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBLPxOt7TPw

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 18, 2015

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I never read Preacher but I did read Ennis' The Punisher Marvel Knights and MAX which I can't recommend enough, they're some of the best comic runs I've ever read. But Ennis' humor can be annoyingly silly sometimes. I prefer the more serious tone he took in The Punisher MAX over the over-the-top boobs on Cyborg Russian tone he took in Marvel Knights. Although "A Confederacy of Dunces" is easily one of my favorite comic stories ever.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

I never read Preacher but I did read Ennis' The Punisher Marvel Knights and MAX which I can't recommend enough, they're some of the best comic runs I've ever read. But Ennis' humor can be annoyingly silly sometimes. I prefer the more serious tone he took in The Punisher MAX over the over-the-top boobs on Cyborg Russian tone he took in Marvel Knights. Although "A Confederacy of Dunces" is easily one of my favorite comic stories ever.

They made that into a comic?

At any rate, I mean, I laughed out loud at Ennis' writing in Preacher. From the mob hit man shooting Cassidy in the dick while holding him prisoner and saying, "Let's see if that grows back!" and Cassidy responds with, "Jaysis, I fuckin' hope so..." to a whole paneled page of Herr Starr trying on different hats in the mirror to hide the scar on his bald head that makes it look like a penis, it's just irreverently funny and I never found it silly, but to each their own. I just wonder if his black humor is going to be done justice in the AMC adaptation, because the promo makes it look excessively dark and serious, which isn't really the source material's style.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

life is killing me posted:

They made that into a comic?

Are you talking about "A Confederacy of Dunces"? I didn't mean the original. A Confederacy of Dunces is also the name of an arc in Ennis' The Punisher Marvel Knights where Daredevil, Wolverine, and Spider-man get together and try to take down The Punisher. Of course they fail horribly, but it's sooo glorious.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

Are you talking about "A Confederacy of Dunces"? I didn't mean the original. A Confederacy of Dunces is also the name of an arc in Ennis' The Punisher Marvel Knights where Daredevil, Wolverine, and Spider-man get together and try to take down The Punisher. Of course they fail horribly, but it's sooo glorious.

Oh, I didn't realize that. Whoops!

I'm disturbed by how Wolverine couldn't take the Punisher.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

life is killing me posted:

Oh, I didn't realize that. Whoops!

I'm disturbed by how Wolverine couldn't take the Punisher.

Just read it, man, it's absolutely fantastic, Ennis' entire run on The Punisher is phenomenal, especially if you're an Ennis fan, it's a must read.

Two of my favorite takes on The Punisher is that 1: he isn't age adjusted, so unlike a lot of the other heroes who've had their ages reset with each new comic era, The Punisher is an old guy who's he's been around since Vietnam and he's still killing the poo poo out of people. He's basically Dalereed from freep. And 2: the way Ennis portrayed him is that he's basically a more homicidal version of Batman, he's got no powers but he's been doing his thing for so long that he can strategize around more powerful heroes.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

Just read it, man, it's absolutely fantastic, Ennis' entire run on The Punisher is phenomenal, especially if you're an Ennis fan, it's a must read.

Two of my favorite takes on The Punisher is that 1: he isn't age adjusted, so unlike a lot of the other heroes who've had their ages reset with each new comic era, The Punisher is an old guy who's he's been around since Vietnam and he's still killing the poo poo out of people. He's basically Dalereed from freep. And 2: the way Ennis portrayed him is that he's basically a more homicidal version of Batman, he's got no powers but he's been doing his thing for so long that he can strategize around more powerful heroes.

Speaking of Batman, if you've never read Kingdom Come, definitely do. It's a trade paperback, and it's about the apocalypse basically, and most of DC's better-known and lesser-known heroes are in it. In the comic, Batman's body is so broken from the years of fighting and physical strain that he literally has to wear an exoskeleton to get around. It's actually kind of hilarious.

And I guess I have trouble with Wolverine vs Punisher and Wolverine losing that bout because Wolverine is almost unkillable, unless we're talking about the post-adamantium Wolverine whose healing factor is almost gone. I remember that from a Wolverine issue where he's back in Canada and gets into a fight and then runs into Lady Deathstrike, who notices that his claws are bone and that he's still bleeding hours later from using them in the fight.

In other words, I just realized how big of a comic nerd I've always been

e: I just saw a review of a Superman exoskeleton toy, and I'm sort of confused now as to why Superman needs an exoskeleton

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Yeah, I read Kingdom Come, it was good stuff, love Alex Ross' art too.

Well at one point The Punisher guts some random punk and leaves him screaming in the middle of the street and then fires a rocket launcher at the three heroes when arrive to see what's up, Daredevil and Spider-Man get away due to spider sense and daredevils radar, but Wolverine takes the brunt and spends the next several hours laying in a bathtub in Hell's Kitchen regrowing the entire lower half of his body.

I won't spoil anymore than that. It's definitely worth reading and Ennis does a good job of making it believable how the Punisher is able to out maneuver them.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Guthrum and the actor playing him are my favorite part of the show. It's rare to have such an understated but menacing antagonist in a show like this. I love the scene where Guthrum tells Uhtred he'd gladly kill him at the drop of a hat but then lets him go due to Ragnar's plea, and walks away smiling. It really shows how medieval culture was based around personal relationships as much as anything else.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Otto needs to die

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This show rocks, every episode pushes the plot forward in big meaningful ways.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
That it does. This latest managed to move up Dane-Saxon, Christian-Pagan, Uthred-Alfred all while spending a good chunk of time in a marsh.

And next week is the season finale apparently. Short season.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Unzip and Attack posted:

Guthrum and the actor playing him are my favorite part of the show. It's rare to have such an understated but menacing antagonist in a show like this. I love the scene where Guthrum tells Uhtred he'd gladly kill him at the drop of a hat but then lets him go due to Ragnar's plea, and walks away smiling. It really shows how medieval culture was based around personal relationships as much as anything else.

I like the bit in the hostage episode in which the priest was trying to convert him. Guthrum was pretty much acting like a kid bored in church and only get excited once he had the excuse to kill the hostages.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Erghh posted:

That it does. This latest managed to move up Dane-Saxon, Christian-Pagan, Uthred-Alfred all while spending a good chunk of time in a marsh.

And next week is the season finale apparently. Short season.

Yeah I was bummed to hear that during the next episode preview. Been a pretty fun ride though, looking forward to the finale.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I like the framing for the boat shot in which Uhtred is standing over Alfred.

Sort of showing with his kingdom and power of control loss Alfred is worse off than Uhtred.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So, do we find out next week or wait until next season to find out Uhtred's son died and he/the seer view it as the payment for Edward's life?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Gyges posted:

So, do we find out next week or wait until next season to find out Uhtred's son died and he/the seer view it as the payment for Edward's life?

it'd be cool if book readers would use spoiler tags for poo poo like this

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I'm not a book reader but that's what I thought would happen too.

Edit: top of this page he says he's never read any Cornwell you poo poo.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah I mean it's the internet and all, but you can probably give him the benefit of the doubt that he's just making an obvious guess and isn't a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Gyges posted:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. You'd think if that was the route they were taking Uhtred would find out next episode so they aren't forced to remind us of what happened with Edward a year later, but who knows? Maybe it's too obvious.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Maybe we could make threads in TVIV and Cinema Discusso where we post spoilers for books we haven't read. I bet I could come up with some wonderful spoilers for other series I haven't read.

Spoiler: That character you like in Game of Thrones is going to have something bad happen to them.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

If you want to really spoiler the show, just read Alfred's wiki page. The assholes who wrote it just put everything out there, no consideration at all!

Gyges posted:

Spoiler: That character you like in Game of Thrones is going to have something bad happen to them.
:argh:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
My bad, I hadn't read the posts above and didn't get any vibes his kiddo is going to die. The scenes alluding to it felt like general character development that would have no real consequences.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
You guys know that Alfred, noted king of wessex in the 9th century, dies right? Should I spoiler this?

I found Guthrum's actor is much like Roger Allam, which makes me sad that Roger Allam isn't in more TV stuff.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Doesn't really matter if you think or know someone else has read the books or not, I'd prefer spoiler tags for the things in the book that happen in the show or that you hope happen in the show if you've read the books. And yeah, even if you haven't read the books, if you think you've got an accurate prediction, might as well spoiler tag it in case. The point of this, is not to spoil the show for non-readers.

I'll need to edit the OP to include this if I didn't already, but that's why I've been using spoiler tags, because I mention things that happen in the book quite a bit and don't want it to spoil the show OR the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Spoiler from over a millennium ago: Alfred wins

• Locked thread