Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016
I really enjoyed The Last Kingdom Season 1, better than Vikings even.

Both shows are more historical spin-offs of Game of Thrones, but The Last Kingdom has an incredible lead in Alexander Dreymon as Uhtred of Bebbanburg. He deserved a Globe award.

Vikings, in contrast, stars a fading Travis Fimmel. "Fading" because he's one dimensional to the extreme, and his lack of acting skills is no more evident than in the recent Warcraft movie.

I can't wait for The Last Kingdom Season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I just started this show, two episodes in. Does Uhtred ever stop being the biggest idiot in England? I get he's kind of...I get he's SUPPOSED to be stupid, but the guy seems to have a death wish with his inability to do the sensible thing.

I love Brida though, she's loving carried this show since the kids grew up.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I just started this show, two episodes in. Does Uhtred ever stop being the biggest idiot in England? I get he's kind of...I get he's SUPPOSED to be stupid, but the guy seems to have a death wish with his inability to do the sensible thing.

I dunno, I find him being an idiot savant instead of perfect in every way endearing.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
He's also supposed to be a teenager. They aren't exactly known for sensible, well thought behavior.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Uhtred is like Sterling Archer. Hes good at one aspect of what hes involved in but otherwise is a complete idiot savant who somehow bumbles to success.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

Uhtred is like Sterling Archer. Hes good at one aspect of what hes involved in but otherwise is a complete idiot savant who somehow bumbles to success.

This works for me.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
The entire book series is Uhtred being a stubborn rear end who just wants to go retake loving Bebbanburg, but bullshit (read: oaths sworn) keeps rising up and preventing it. He is, or at least becomes over time, a master tactician, strategist and warlord, but he's continually sighing and saying "fiiiine, but THEN Bebbanburg!"

Seriously, pretty much every book ends with him getting ready to go take Bebbanburg and the next starts with Alfred or one of his kids ruining Uhtred's day to save Engaland.

I love it.

Edit: I am frothing at the mouth for Finan and Father Pyrlig to come into the cast, though I have a strong feeling Pyrlig will get blended into Beocca.

Unctuous Cretin fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 30, 2016

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

ObamaPhone posted:

I really enjoyed The Last Kingdom Season 1, better than Vikings even.

Both shows are more historical spin-offs of Game of Thrones, but The Last Kingdom has an incredible lead in Alexander Dreymon as Uhtred of Bebbanburg. He deserved a Globe award.

Vikings, in contrast, stars a fading Travis Fimmel. "Fading" because he's one dimensional to the extreme, and his lack of acting skills is no more evident than in the recent Warcraft movie.

I can't wait for The Last Kingdom Season 2.

I realize that the series was published well after GoT, but it's kind of irksome when people won't stop comparing plots of fantasy novels to plots of historical fiction novels and then saying one is a spinoff of the other except "more historical." I'm not really sure where the similarities are, and I've read both series in their entirety thus far. I also love Vikings and don't really know where people are getting the "spinoff" ideas in comparison to GoT.

Unctuous Cretin posted:

The entire book series is Uhtred being a stubborn rear end who just wants to go retake loving Bebbanburg, but bullshit (read: oaths sworn) keeps rising up and preventing it. He is, or at least becomes over time, a master tactician, strategist and warlord, but he's continually sighing and saying "fiiiine, but THEN Bebbanburg!"

Seriously, pretty much every book ends with him getting ready to go take Bebbanburg and the next starts with Alfred or one of his kids ruining Uhtred's day to save Engaland.

I love it.

Edit: I am frothing at the mouth for Finan and Father Pyrlig to come into the cast, though I have a strong feeling Pyrlig will get blended into Beocca.

Yeah I mean, Finan is going to rule, I think he was an important enough recurring character in the books that they couldn't possibly blend him into another character. Pyrlig, OTOH, may just get blended right into Beocca as you said--since in the show, Beocca actually looks nothing like he's described in the books and lacks the same maladies. Also supporting this is the fact that Pyrlig is one of the only priests besides Beocca that Uhtred likes doesn't immediately want to kill at first sight.

Honestly, when you think about it, Uhtred's main problem is his penchant for priest-killing, if he'd just stop doing that he could be a lot more powerful

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 30, 2016

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
It's the same aesthetic on a superficial level. Swords and stuff.

Song of Ice and Fire is so boring though. Political intrigue of made up politics.

Saxon Tales is based around a made up character having made up conversations and battles with real people. And there's swords and shield walls every other chapter. Good enough for me!

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The best part of Vikings and TLK are definitely the shield walls.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

life is killing me posted:

Yeah I mean, Finan is going to rule, I think he was an important enough recurring character in the books that they couldn't possibly blend him into another character. Pyrlig, OTOH, may just get blended right into Beocca as you said--since in the show, Beocca actually looks nothing like he's described in the books and lacks the same maladies. Also supporting this is the fact that Pyrlig is one of the only priests besides Beocca that Uhtred likes doesn't immediately want to kill at first sight.

Honestly, when you think about it, Uhtred's main problem is his penchant for priest-killing, if he'd just stop doing that he could be a lot more powerful

Ian Hart is the biggest name on the show with Rutger Hauer as Ravn dead, so Beocca will probably have his role / presence inflated a bit if the show last long enough to encompass many of the books.

And yeah, his priest-killing and maiming are pretty much the source of his problems. Can't wait for the twin priests and Uhtred's solution for differentiating them!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Unctuous Cretin posted:

It's the same aesthetic on a superficial level. Swords and stuff.

Song of Ice and Fire is so boring though. Political intrigue of made up politics.

Saxon Tales is based around a made up character having made up conversations and battles with real people. And there's swords and shield walls every other chapter. Good enough for me!

Sure, superficially. Just irksome that the superficial level is all the consideration these shows get because GoT. They are very different book series, and very different shows. I get the comparisons to Vikings, but I don't get comparisons to GoT. If that's all people can really think of because they both have swords and poo poo, then gently caress, I don't know about people. But then I'm a little protective of The Saxon Tales.

Unctuous Cretin posted:

Ian Hart is the biggest name on the show with Rutger Hauer as Ravn dead, so Beocca will probably have his role / presence inflated a bit if the show last long enough to encompass many of the books.

And yeah, his priest-killing and maiming are pretty much the source of his problems. Can't wait for the twin priests and Uhtred's solution for differentiating them!

I'd forgotten about the twin priests. Ought to be fun! Didn't we already see Asser too?

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Yeah, he's probably the second biggest star (as far as English-speaking acting goes) being that he was Young Sherlock Holmes.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
If The Last Kingdom does well, and with Sharpe being as much a thing as it was, I'd love to see more Bernard Cornwell series adapted for tv.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Warlord is pretty great, and it'd be a stark contrast to that absolutely loving dire looking Guy Ritchie film that's coming out next year.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I require more history/historical fiction series.

Give me Master And Commander.

Red Army/Team Yankee/Chieftans

32 Battalion/The Terrible Ones if you wanna go dark as gently caress

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

tooterfish posted:

Warlord is pretty great, and it'd be a stark contrast to that absolutely loving dire looking Guy Ritchie film that's coming out next year.

There's a Guy Ritchie movie coming out next year based on a Cornwell novel?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Unctuous Cretin posted:

If The Last Kingdom does well, and with Sharpe being as much a thing as it was, I'd love to see more Bernard Cornwell series adapted for tv.

Would love to see a new Sharpe series or movie

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

I realize that the series was published well after GoT, but it's kind of irksome when people won't stop comparing plots of fantasy novels to plots of historical fiction novels and then saying one is a spinoff of the other except "more historical." I'm not really sure where the similarities are, and I've read both series in their entirety thus far. I also love Vikings and don't really know where people are getting the "spinoff" ideas in comparison to GoT.

GoT TV series came out first and I believe the comparisons are inevitable because all take place in a Medieval setting.

To be frank, I couldn't stand GoT after the first season.

Also, novels aside, I'm only comparing the TV shows themselves.

Sean Bean was my biggest draw to Game of Thrones and Alexander Dreymon is my favorite actor in The Last Kingdom by far.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

I think it's a reference to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0CsoPAlGlg

yeah...

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Phi230 posted:

I require more history/historical fiction series.

Give me Master and Commander

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_and_Commander:_The_Far_Side_of_the_World

(Replacing the American antagonist with the French because God forbid Americans ever be the bad guys :p)

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

feedmegin posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_and_Commander:_The_Far_Side_of_the_World

(Replacing the American antagonist with the French because God forbid Americans ever be the bad guys :p)

In anything American-produced, we won't be the bad guys as long as it's from our point of view, anyway.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
It would have been pretty confusing, because most Americans don't even know we had a second war with Britain.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Nah. He's doing a King Arthur film.

Or should I say King Arfur, because it's basically Snatch in gambesons.

Erghh posted:

I think it's a reference to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0CsoPAlGlg

yeah...
Yeah, that's the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

It would have been pretty confusing, because most Americans don't even know we had a second war with Britain.

Well.

Here's a guy who knows that NOW

tooterfish posted:

Nah. He's doing a King Arthur film.

Or should I say King Arfur, because it's basically Snatch in gambesons.
Yeah, that's the one.

All of his movies are that. A bunch of cockney-sounding thugs in different but similar situations. The KA movie doesn't look HORRIBLE or anything. Poor Charlie Hunnam though, feel like we didn't really see him in anything since that one with the massive fuckoff robots who for some reason punched each other instead of using giant lasers and missiles and poo poo.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 31, 2016

• Locked thread