Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Just finished the first season on Netflix. Huge fan of the books and Cornwell in general.

I haven't read the first book in nigh on a decade, but the only complaints of consistency I have are the lack of oar dancing and not a single utterance of "fate is inexorable."

Stoked that Netflix is coproducing season 2 next year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
The entire book series is Uhtred being a stubborn rear end who just wants to go retake loving Bebbanburg, but bullshit (read: oaths sworn) keeps rising up and preventing it. He is, or at least becomes over time, a master tactician, strategist and warlord, but he's continually sighing and saying "fiiiine, but THEN Bebbanburg!"

Seriously, pretty much every book ends with him getting ready to go take Bebbanburg and the next starts with Alfred or one of his kids ruining Uhtred's day to save Engaland.

I love it.

Edit: I am frothing at the mouth for Finan and Father Pyrlig to come into the cast, though I have a strong feeling Pyrlig will get blended into Beocca.

Unctuous Cretin fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 30, 2016

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
It's the same aesthetic on a superficial level. Swords and stuff.

Song of Ice and Fire is so boring though. Political intrigue of made up politics.

Saxon Tales is based around a made up character having made up conversations and battles with real people. And there's swords and shield walls every other chapter. Good enough for me!

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

life is killing me posted:

Yeah I mean, Finan is going to rule, I think he was an important enough recurring character in the books that they couldn't possibly blend him into another character. Pyrlig, OTOH, may just get blended right into Beocca as you said--since in the show, Beocca actually looks nothing like he's described in the books and lacks the same maladies. Also supporting this is the fact that Pyrlig is one of the only priests besides Beocca that Uhtred likes doesn't immediately want to kill at first sight.

Honestly, when you think about it, Uhtred's main problem is his penchant for priest-killing, if he'd just stop doing that he could be a lot more powerful

Ian Hart is the biggest name on the show with Rutger Hauer as Ravn dead, so Beocca will probably have his role / presence inflated a bit if the show last long enough to encompass many of the books.

And yeah, his priest-killing and maiming are pretty much the source of his problems. Can't wait for the twin priests and Uhtred's solution for differentiating them!

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Yeah, he's probably the second biggest star (as far as English-speaking acting goes) being that he was Young Sherlock Holmes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
If The Last Kingdom does well, and with Sharpe being as much a thing as it was, I'd love to see more Bernard Cornwell series adapted for tv.

• Locked thread