Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeez
May 28, 2012
So in the books is it totally in 1st person from Uhtred's perspective or does it show events that Uhtred is not personally witnessing? Of the Cornwell books I've read, most seem to be from one character's perspective, but The Grail Quest shows events of which the lead character is not aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Cornwell's also pretty good about admitting when he embellished something for drama purposes.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Gyges posted:

So, do we find out next week or wait until next season to find out Uhtred's son died and he/the seer view it as the payment for Edward's life?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. You'd think if that was the route they were taking Uhtred would find out next episode so they aren't forced to remind us of what happened with Edward a year later, but who knows? Maybe it's too obvious.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

VDay posted:

Some real gut-punches in that finale. RIP everyone :smith:

I will say the one downside to the show's short season and quick pace is that some things seem to get glossed over rather quickly. Like they spent all this time building up Uhtred's noble credentials and his marriage, and then they just sort of get fake divorced in one scene, Uhtred apparently gets his own lands back as a reward for helping Alfred win the big fight, Ragnar/Brida are captured and alive, and now Uhtred's on his way North with that one dude and the lady he rescued for some reason. The last 3 minutes could've easily taken their own episode, but had to just kind of be squeezed in at the end instead. I guess it leaves me with a bunch of questions that I'm looking forward to being answered so that's a plus? Still pretty happy with the season overall, this show was a nice little surprise.

Now to switch my brain back into Vikings mode and remember all the names in that show again.

Yeah, I've felt this way throughout the season, it definitely could stand to have a slower pace at times. Still enjoyed it, though.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Did one of Alfred's/Otto's generals betray the Saxons? Leofric was yelling about some traitor before he died and then I thought it panned to a shot of the old Saxon general, who we often saw alongside Leofric, in the Viking line.

I'm liking how.. down-played? the deaths of major characters are, i.e. very little-to-no mourning over losses

Yes, it was that guy who earlier in the episode asked Uhtred if he thought they could win, among other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Unzip and Attack posted:

Finale definitely felt rushed and the CGI was a bit corny at times but I liked it. Aethelcard's redemption was really well done - in the end he just couldn't bring himself to do it and I like that they didn't do a cop out with him seeing the army and then being cowed into not doing it. It was a conscious choice on his behalf and that makes all the difference.

I also loved how they handled Guthrum being lulled into inaction by his religious views. Very unexpected and although probably not the most historical, it was a great story choice. The reveal of Iseult's head was really dramatic despite being telegraphed pretty heavily. All in all a really solid finale to a very good season of TV.

Well, Guthrum really did get baptized and convert to Christianity, it was part of the terms of the peace treaty. And, though I'm not an expert on Vikings at all, I do believe Christianity took root among some Danish kings and earls over the years.

• Locked thread