Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

VDay posted:

Pretty good episode and yeah I'm enjoying the fact that things seem to be moving at a decent pace, although I do hope Uhtred starts actually learning from his mistakes at some point. As much as I like that he's not randomly a political savant, him constantly stumbling directly into lovely situations that he should see coming is getting kind of old.

His big problem is that he is impulsive and lets his anger take control. I'm pretty sure he's admitted that he hosed up after he calmed down several times. Of course he does do it in a maybe that would have been a more correct way of doing it fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I like that the real lesson to be learned for Uhtred this episode is to make sure you kill everyone. Witnesses are a bitch.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

-Blackadder- posted:

Just marathoned the first 6 episodes, liking it quite a lot. Almost feels like a faster paced Vikings. I like how the main character is flawed instead of being the typical superman protagonist who's equal parts genius and humble. Uthred is kind of an impatient dick who's personality screws him as much as it helps him. He's basically squandered a lot of the good will he would've got from two victories over the Danes just by being impatient and not listening to people's advice.

Next episode feels like it's going to be a waste though, since it's so obviously set up to end with a buddy sacrifice trope.

The preview made it look like they're flipping the script and going in a totally different direction than that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

-Blackadder- posted:

That's cool, seems like they been published at a reasonable clip too.

It's also just nice to see another book based series that's quality. For example, I never read Terry Goodkind's Sword for Truth books myself, but they seemed pretty popular so I was disappointed when the show based on them wasn't very good.

The books themselves aren't really all that good. The show was probably about as good as you were going to get, budget aside, from that series.

Edit: A low tolerance for Objectivism really limits how much you'll like them.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tooterfish posted:

Objectivism?

Being a selfish prick is morally justified.

I'm kind of condensing the holy words of St. Ayn Rand.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tooterfish posted:

No, I know what it is. I'm just not sure where exactly Cornwell pushes it.

Haven't read them in ages, but you'd think I'd remember something like that.

Terry Godkin's Sword of Truth series. I actually haven't read any Cornwell that I can remember.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So, do we find out next week or wait until next season to find out Uhtred's son died and he/the seer view it as the payment for Edward's life?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

it'd be cool if book readers would use spoiler tags for poo poo like this

Maybe we could make threads in TVIV and Cinema Discusso where we post spoilers for books we haven't read. I bet I could come up with some wonderful spoilers for other series I haven't read.

Spoiler: That character you like in Game of Thrones is going to have something bad happen to them.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

life is killing me posted:

Doesn't really matter if you think or know someone else has read the books or not, I'd prefer spoiler tags for the things in the book that happen in the show or that you hope happen in the show if you've read the books. And yeah, even if you haven't read the books, if you think you've got an accurate prediction, might as well spoiler tag it in case. The point of this, is not to spoil the show for non-readers.

I'll need to edit the OP to include this if I didn't already, but that's why I've been using spoiler tags, because I mention things that happen in the book quite a bit and don't want it to spoil the show OR the books.

So I should only spoil pure speculation if it's good speculation, but bad speculation should be left naked in the site of Gunthram?

Alfred will successfully begin the unification of England while his relationship with Uhtred grows stronger. But only after Alfred becomes an immortal vampire for turning his back on god and the church.

No offense, but that's dumb as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It seemed kind of weird that Uthred picked up that one guy introduce this episode as just this side of incompetent for his posse along with warrior nun. I can see why she'd leave Wessex for somewhere else, but left behind squire seemed to be doing it for no real reason.

tooterfish posted:

You're taking that Hercules thing too literally I think.

I didn't mean Lothbrok was a literal superhero. I meant he's basically a figure from legend, a bit like King Arthur or Odysseus. Uthred meanwhile is really just a conduit used to tell the story of the Saxons and the Danes in Britain.

Now I come to think of it, maybe Arthur or Odysseus would've been a better analogue...

Given the role of boats, especially the crew of Ragnar's first boat, as well as the more calculating nature of Ragnar and the importance of his wife, Viking Odysseus is a much better description.

He just wants to get back to Ithicasome good farm land.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 8, 2015

• Locked thread