Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

What's FLCL?

FLCL (also known as Fooly Cooly) is a six-episode OVA series directed by Kazuya Tsurumaki, produced by Gainax and Production I.G., and a staple of a lot of 20-something's early anime experience. Depending on who you talk to it's either an eccentric coming-of-age story with a sci-fi lemon twist or an incomprehensible epicenter of energy. It's well-regarded, well-animated, and accompanied by a :krad: OST performed by everybody's favorite band they only know from this show anyway, the Pillows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4_Qzx-E2LQ

So yeah, we're gonna be watching this. Together! Simulwatching! Whether you were watching it as it came out or you've never heard of it before this post, everyone's welcome to join in the fun.

No, I mean, what is FLCL? What does it stand for?

Oh. Nobody knows. Or do they?

"Fooly Cooly?"

You do it like this with your hands.

Whatever. Weren't we supposed to be doing a horror simulwatch? You even still have that other thread stickied.

We were and still are, but it's gonna take a week to get everything set up so this is a little something I came up with to tide us over. FLCL's only six episodes, so it shouldn't take too long for us to burn through it.

I don't own FLCL.

You're in luck then because Funimation put the whole thing up on Hulu, dubbed AND subbed.

I don't live where Hulu works and/or don't like Hulu because reasons.

Your call then, big guy. Just don't post about how you procured it in the thread.

So what's the schedule?

I'm glad you asked.
    October 19th (today) through the 20th (tomorrow)
    Episodes 1-2
    October 21st through the 22nd
    Episodes 3-4
    October 23rd through the 24th
    Episodes 5-6
Is it cool if I liveblog?

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Reserved.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Eh why not. Amazing anime is always worth watching again.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

simulwatches are always a good opportunity to expand my anime collection and empty my pockets. i don't think i've ever completed flcl, but my blurays will arrive tomorrow and i'm excited.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Gonna watch this again. It's been too long, and it's a good show, and it's a good excuse.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I watched this a month and a bit ago and it was absolutely fantastic. I look forward to reading what everyone has to say about Fooly Cooly.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I haven't watched FLCL in a very long time so it's gonna be neat to come back to it from a very different perspective.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Bad Seafood posted:

"Fooly Cooly?"

You do it like this with your hands.

I always cracked up at that line.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
When I first saw this show, I accidentally watched the episodes in reverse order. Having seen it again in the correct order, I can say it's about as comprehensible either way.

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

I've been meaning to rewatch this for years now, I guess I'll actually do it this time.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Srice posted:

I haven't watched FLCL in a very long time so it's gonna be neat to come back to it from a very different perspective.

Yeah same; I still remember most of it but probably not well enough to have opinions without watching it again anyway.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Allarion posted:

I always cracked up at that line.

I bet she does it like a weasel

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I always thought "Fooly Cooly" was a reference to the opening line of Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mln0RciE2o0

Srice posted:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Srice posted:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I wonder if I still have the original .rmvbs I watched it on.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

the what

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

A long defunct file format that I used to watch anime, nearly a decade ago.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

If people have access to them, the director's commentaries are interesting

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You guys suck! Now that I have responsibilities as a dad, you guys decide to (re)watch FLCL? I'm hella mad! :mad:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I'll probably do this

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Wark Say posted:

You guys suck! Now that I have responsibilities as a dad, you guys decide to (re)watch FLCL? I'm hella mad! :mad:

Time to throw your daughter in the orphanage for the week

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Oh hell yes. I've watched this show so many times I have like most of the dialogue memorized.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Probably gonna watch again, even though I've seen the first four episodes enough times that I don't need to ever watch them again. I think I probably still have the VHS fansubs of them I had around somewhere.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Wark Say posted:

Watch it with your child as a bonding experience. If said child is a baby, I am sure that it will not mind either way.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Not sure if i need to spoiler this but more anime should end with guitar swordfights

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
just posting to brag about how i have seen the pillows live and how it was extremely good and sawao yamanaka directly addressed something i yelled at him from the crowd. if i have time this week i'll have to do a rewatch.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm def. feeling that Hybrid Rainbow right now.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
FLCL had a non-trivial effect on me back in high school and I look dearly forward to this thread.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Well poo poo I've never seen it so might as well you know.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Subbed or dubbed?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Subbed

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

or dubbed, they're both good. Hell, they sound pretty similar, too.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
They're both good, but I'd say subbed. Dubbed on a rewatch.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
FLCL is the best 2.5 hour long AMV set to the Pillows. Blues Drive Monster gives me chills when I listen to it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Aw, what, this ends on Saturday. I don't wanna rewatch FLCL sober and I'm not gonna have weed money until Friday. :smith:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Aw, what, this ends on Saturday. I don't wanna rewatch FLCL sober and I'm not gonna have weed money until Friday. :smith:

Good anime deserves sobriety

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Terper posted:

Subbed or dubbed?

The dub is in my opinion the greatest dub ever made. To not watch it is the wrong decision.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

"dub Haruko has an insanely good voice" - a guy who has seen maybe 3 episodes of the dub

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
"Dub haruko is bad" - a retard with broken ears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

AnoHito posted:

The dub is in my opinion the greatest dub ever made. To not watch it is the wrong decision.

• Locked thread