Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

While working in his lab late into the evening, a scientist beholds an eerie sight. The scientist is both the narrator of the song and the story's protagonist. We know very little about the narrator, whether he is an accredited scientist or simply an enthusiast is never made clear. We also are not told what project the scientist is working on at the time of beholding the sight, but it is not unreasonable to suggest that it is a similar to the 'monster' which he refers to as his own. This monster is revealed to be the eerie sight that the narrator is beholding, as it begins to rise from his 'slab'. The fact that the narrator is shocked by this, given that the act of rising from the slab was in all probability what the monster was designed to do by the narrator himself, is puzzling but never addressed. The narrator is further surprised when, having been animated into life, the monster does 'the mash'. The mash will become the central focus and recurring motif of the song, and while the step to the dance are never described, it is not unreasonable to assume that it does not require any amount of dexterity given that it is performed initially by a walking corpse. If the narrator joins in with the monster 'mash' it is not made clear to the listener.

The timeline of what follows is never made explicit, but at some point after the initial 'mash', a number of ghouls come to the narrator's (previously unmentioned) castle in order to get a jolt from his electrodes. The electrified ghouls then do the 'mash'.

Following the performance of 'the mash' by the electrified ghouls, zombies, the Wolf Man, Dracula and the son of Dracula arrive. They also do the 'mash'. There appears to be no animosity between any of these creatures and the narrator, nor is there any inter-monster animosity, the tone of the event appears to be cordial and jubilant.

A band arrives after these characters have done the 'mash', raising the possibility that the monsters were hitherto dancing to nothing. The band is named 'The Coffin Bangers' and have a vocal group called 'The Crypt Kicker Five'. After or during this performance, Dracula (called 'Drac' by the narrator, suggesting a level of familiarity) speaks up from his coffin. This means that he has been doing the 'mash' from within a box the whole time. He speaks up and asks everyone what happened to the 'Transylvania Twist' (which is the title of another horror-themed song on the same album). Despite his question, no one answers, instead, they do the 'mash'.

Possibly to placate him, Dracula is now part of the band. It's unclear whose decision this is, and if a member of the 'Crypt Kicker Five' was ejected from the band to make space for Dracula. Dracula's son is not part of the band.

The 'mash' has now by this stage become extremely popular and famous. How this happens is never made explicit, but it can be assumed it is a combination of both word of mouth and through a tour of the Crypt Kicker Five, now able to book larger venues because of the profile of Dracula, who is a very famous vampire. The narrator closes by addressing the listener directly, imploring them to come to his castle and do the 'mash'. He reveals his name to be Boris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
The main question I have regarding your thesis is regarding the claim it was "a graveyard smash." Does that infer a cemetery was laid waste to, or otherwise desecrated in some way? Or that funeral-goers implicitly approved of the anthem for a deceased loved one's burial? Please respond ASAP.

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.
Can these eerie sights be reproduced independently? I think Boris is fabricating results.

tyk00n
Sep 25, 2006

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP1bg1R5XQc

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
The song is an allegory for autoerotic asphyxiation.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking
Monster mash my balls into a fine paste

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
OP, you claim Dracula's question "whatever happened to the Transylvania Twist?" is not answered, but it is in fact answered by the very next line of the song:
"It's now The Mash (It's now The Monster Mash)."

This implies "The Mash" is actually a variation on the aforementioned Transylvania Twist, a song and/or dance that was probably popularized by Dracula, considering the actual song lyric is "whatever happened to myTransylvania Twist?" It would seem to imply that Dracula has been out of touch long enough for the pop-culture phenomenon of the Transylvania Twist to morph into the dance now called "The Mash" would explain both its popularity and the fact that everyone seems to already know the song.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Applewhite posted:

OP, you claim Dracula's question "whatever happened to the Transylvania Twist?" is not answered, but it is in fact answered by the very next line of the song:
"It's now The Mash (It's now The Monster Mash)."

This implies "The Mash" is actually a variation on the aforementioned Transylvania Twist, a song and/or dance that was probably popularized by Dracula, considering the actual song lyric is "whatever happened to myTransylvania Twist?" It would seem to imply that Dracula has been out of touch long enough for the pop-culture phenomenon of the Transylvania Twist to morph into the dance now called "The Mash" would explain both its popularity and the fact that everyone seems to already know the song.

its a lot like how white people stole the blues from black people

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:
Monster Swim lied when it said it was bigger than the Mash.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
"monster mash" is a good name to call a cat or dog... or human

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
like, hey whats up monster mash? or uhhhh, wtf you doin there monster mash. or get out of my house, there "monster mash" and stop rootin around up in my business you little cocksucking monster loving mash. etc.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Lowtax posted:

The main question I have regarding your thesis is regarding the claim it was "a graveyard smash." Does that infer a cemetery was laid waste to, or otherwise desecrated in some way? Or that funeral-goers implicitly approved of the anthem for a deceased loved one's burial? Please respond ASAP.

I am not the OP, but I posit that it is possibly a metaphorical term. By the traditions of european mythology and gothic horror (as opposed to contemporary sources such as the "Twilight" series by Stephanie Meyer, or the film "I Am Legend") a significant portion of these dancing monsters are undead: that is to say, they are in a sense dead, yet active and mobile (as opposed to the dead, who are passive and sessile.) From this, we can say that it is a "Graveyard Smash" in 2 ways: the literal, and the metaphorical.

The first of these is simple. We can conclude that the song is itself cleverly referencing these mythological and literary traditions, implying that these undead monsters really did break out of their graves to join the "mash." And thus, their graves were literally smashed.

The second, however, is one I would consider more of an exhortation, a metaphorical wish. You see, these monsters are lonely, or perhaps impassioned dead-rights crusaders, and are urging their dead brethren to be mobile: to become undead. The graveyard is both literally the burial ground of the dead and the chains locking them to immobility; as they are to smash their graves, they are equally smashing the grave-chains that bind them, and joining the ranks of the undead- who, of course, are partaking in the monster mash.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
monster mash is what i call it when your aunt gives me a handy

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
Why are they making a Star Wars movie when Monster Mash is just waiting to become a major franchise?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

JiveHonky posted:

monster mash is what i call it when your aunt gives me a handy

It's because your dick looks like a potato, isn't it?

GeneX posted:

I am not the OP, but I posit that it is possibly a metaphorical term. By the traditions of european mythology and gothic horror (as opposed to contemporary sources such as the "Twilight" series by Stephanie Meyer, or the film "I Am Legend") a significant portion of these dancing monsters are undead: that is to say, they are in a sense dead, yet active and mobile (as opposed to the dead, who are passive and sessile.) From this, we can say that it is a "Graveyard Smash" in 2 ways: the literal, and the metaphorical.

The first of these is simple. We can conclude that the song is itself cleverly referencing these mythological and literary traditions, implying that these undead monsters really did break out of their graves to join the "mash." And thus, their graves were literally smashed.

The second, however, is one I would consider more of an exhortation, a metaphorical wish. You see, these monsters are lonely, or perhaps impassioned dead-rights crusaders, and are urging their dead brethren to be mobile: to become undead. The graveyard is both literally the burial ground of the dead and the chains locking them to immobility; as they are to smash their graves, they are equally smashing the grave-chains that bind them, and joining the ranks of the undead- who, of course, are partaking in the monster mash.

I wonder what the Hegelian interpretation would be, though?

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
yes : (

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Applewhite posted:

It's because your dick looks like a potato, isn't it?

A dick is only a one eyed monster.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
hey there, monster mash, i thought you said my oil change would be done in 30 minutes. what a disgrace. you loving MONSTER MASH! that kind of thing, as a pejorative (first time using word: possibly out of context, monster-mash rear end in a top hat)

fivethree
Jul 28, 2014
ayy lmbo

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Joust posted:

Why are they making a Star Wars movie when Monster Mash is just waiting to become a major franchise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeZs0B0mjXY

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

dad gay, so what got an oil check from monster mash.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
It's unfortunate that the Monster M*A*S*H didn't do their jobs properly, resulting in the deaths of the brave wolfmans and draculas who fought in the Korean Monster Wars. But at least their funeral was a graveyard smash.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01-ZrECVOW8

Rasta_Al fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 21, 2015

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Ya this but with Benedict Cumberbatch and...I wanna sayyyy Tom Hiddleston?

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

String Beans posted:

Monster Swim lied when it said it was bigger than the Mash.

It keeps on insisting upon it too.

Meanwhile I literally can't even find the lyrics transcribed online.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
I'm not a professional casting director though.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Who are the real monsters?

The fact that Dracula used to have his own song ("Translyvania Twist") suggests he is not, in fact, a monster. There are precious few details given about the identify of the monsters, most of it contextual. Perhaps he is speaking of the latent monstrosity present in each and every human being (as a reflection of the themes explored in Frankenstein).

On the other hand, perhaps Dracula is referring to a more literal and denotative form of the word "monster." As the text is written, the distinction between abnormal, paranormal, extraordinary, or otherwise supernatural monsters, and the metaphorical monsters, simply do not exist.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Un chien andalou posted:

Monster mash my balls into a fine paste

AHHHHHHHHH
ah ah oooh
ah ah oooh

ah
AHHHHHHHHHHH
AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU :gizz:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Joust posted:

Seems like merchandising would be hosed since you can't trademark poo poo as far as the main characters go.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dracula is stealing their life force for his own glorification. Draculas were all people at some point, they remember when being in a band was cool. And when they forget, they can't feed anymore.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
mash is a thing goddam hipsters do with their home brew IPAs

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

dad gay. so what posted:

"monster mash" is a good name to call a cat or dog... or human

gonna keep this in my back pocket next time i get a pet, thx dg.sw

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Monster Mash is a good name for some drugs that will really gently caress your poo poo up.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Monster Rap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTTZ45IGR8M

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

gonna keep this in my back pocket next time i get a pet, thx dg.sw

whatevs, monster mash. we have bigger fish to fry

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Been champing at the bit to drop my super sexy HOT Halloween ambiance track:

https://soundcloud.com/mrchrippy/hweenie

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
it was a graveyard smash

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.
I support a Woman's Right to Monster Mash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I see this and raise you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c2RTvP0bEQ

• Locked thread