Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astoniareborn
Oct 21, 2015
do be sure to try it out, nice little game to come relax/chat/game with others, development gets worked on every day, its about the experience and pleasure knowing that the player is enjoying themselfs on this very old diablo 1 / diablo 2 like game .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
Is, there, ever, a, time, where, you, feel, like, maybe, you, put, enough, commas, into, a, post,

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
http://www.hitbox.tv/marchhare

Livestreaming this game without having read anything about it at all except for this thread. Here we go.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The March Hare posted:

http://www.hitbox.tv/marchhare

Livestreaming this game without having read anything about it at all except for this thread. Here we go.

Thank you. Bravo for the courage it took to do what you did. I am not brave.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Kazvall posted:

Thank you. Bravo for the courage it took to do what you did. I am not brave.

I lasted ~4 minutes.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

The March Hare posted:

I lasted ~4 minutes.

That's normal. You can prolong it by starting with a little light play like clicking around in the menus, and by concentrating real hard on another game.

astoniareborn
Oct 21, 2015
ill admit its not a simple game to get use to, the whole start of this game will be re-worked, very old game that needs some love :p
but the mechanics and diversity in characters and builds is amazing, not one person is the best in this game, it takes a team to be the best having the variety of builds work as one :)

astoniareborn fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 23, 2015

astoniareborn
Oct 21, 2015
do be sure to come check it out :), i know theres alot of people looking for a game exactly like this.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Thank you for the info, I will definitely try out your video game Astonia Resurrection!

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
I started playing this and then instead watched a whole season of americas next top model

astoniareborn
Oct 21, 2015
hahaha, multi task? :p

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Loose Ifer posted:

I started playing this and then instead watched a whole season of americas next top model

is this a feature of the game?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Hey OP, why would anyone want to play this instead of UO? Can you describe the game without using fluffy babby's first generic minmaxing like this:

astoniareborn posted:

ill admit its not a simple game to get use to, the whole start of this game will be re-worked, very old game that needs some love :p
but the mechanics and diversity in characters and builds is amazing, not one person is the best in this game, it takes a team to be the best having the variety of builds work as one :)
Like maybe explain a build or what goes into it or why the game is more diverse than pong or something? For being a game based on statistics and substance you sure are advertising very few of either in this thread.

The March Hare posted:

I lasted ~4 minutes.
I'll see if I can make fun of it longer on stream this weekend.

astoniareborn
Oct 21, 2015
yes im going to rewrite the beginning post some time soon :)

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
I chopped a skeleton after not being able to find the person to the (DOWN AND RIGHT) and then tried to afk level by auto chopping skeletons but the server disconnected me after making a sandwich.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

astoniareborn posted:

yes im going to rewrite the beginning post some time soon :)

Nice. I'm sure people will flock to play this... Some time soon

astoniareborn
Oct 21, 2015
LOL i like how you attempted to run for a sandwich also :p, Yes there is a 5 minute automatic idle out, i wasnt sure what traffic i would get from this, so i simply posted a simple paragraph but i will do some new work thanks to the comments received by many that have come to play

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

PriNGLeS posted:

I chopped a skeleton after not being able to find the person to the (DOWN AND RIGHT) and then tried to afk level by auto chopping skeletons but the server disconnected me after making a sandwich.

It's a feature.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The official wikia link has absolutely no content. Literally none. Just a sentence saying that we can help build this ultimate guide, and a few sentences of ad copy. I have written more in this post than there exists content on this wiki.

The manual prioritises talking about how clan bonuses and maintenance fees work, with helpful things like "how to build your character" buried beneath — and even then, while it tells you what skills to invest in, it doesn't tell me why "bless" is the most important wizard spell, or if there are any other options for weapon skills as a warrior. It gives the impression that there is really only one way to build your character in this game which you've touted the build-your-own-class nature of at every opportunity, and that going for anything else is a dumb move. Again, I have no idea as a prospective player why I'd want to follow these instructions to the letter, beyond the general idea of fighterlyness or wizardlyness.

Professions also appear a confusing design choice. The Mercenary's special power is getting paid for doing missions (isn't that what basically every other game does whenever you complete a quest? :confused:) and implementing a "trader" class that just gives you a bonus for buying/selling smacks of a lazy way to 'balance' doing trade runs between NPCs by adding a character skill tax/opportunity cost to doing so, instead of making trade something inherently challenging with a reward that goes with it. Also it means that anyone keeping an eye on their pocket book will probably keep an alt character around (or harass that one loser working as their group's fantasy accountant) to sell their poo poo.

Plus, having to type a slash command to share stuff seems like a clumsy solution.

Three one no people are playing at the time of writing. The number has fluctuated several times while I've been writing this, but never above three.

E: Screw it. I'm going to continue.

Your Steam Greenlight page doesn't actually tell me anything useful about the game as a prospective player. It's all dry descriptions of mechanics that tell me if I reach a certain level and clear all the dungeons and fight a boss, I can dump all my progress and become a "Seyan Du". I originally glazed over the phrase on the website, the paragraph mentioning them being an incredibly boring bit about shadows and other fantasy garbage that my eyes slide off, but apparently they're a warrior/mage multiclass instead of some kind of elf with a derivative fantasy name as I had originally assumed.

Apparently this is "one of the most complex statistics building games ever made, with a very very wide range of different builds and statistics, if your into games that are actually a challange and makes you work your brain, this is for you", but all that I've seen so far (including a brief glance at the guides section on the forums) tells me that there's pretty strict classes with a whole lot of false choices and a few "right ways" to make your fighter/mage/elf. Following a recipe without any insight as to why a character should be built that way isn't exactly making me work my brain.

The next three paragraphs are descriptions of game mechanics that tell me I can go and kill X demons and mine for X silver units. This is the kind of poo poo that people have mocked MMO design with as long as there have been fetch quests ("fetch me thirteen bear asses"), and completely fail to sell me on anything. Not only that, but it's poorly written too, containing a healthy mixture of grammatical, spelling, and punctuation errors, and is, again, absolutely useless information for anyone who doesn't know what this game is and why they should play it.

I cannot overstate enough how little of a drat I give about these terrible descriptions of semi-random quests, loot in "pentegram areas", and so on. They are clumsily and poorly introduced, tell me very little, and take up tons of space on what's essentially your sales pitch.

The comments section on the Greenlight page is overwhelmingly negative too, with most people outright bashing it, and even the person who voted for it out of nostalgia for the original game doesn't think it should be on Steam.

Ports of extremely derivative mobile phone games have made it on Steam free-to-play, along with a bunch of other trash that has been nearly universally panned.

Voted 1, went hog wild.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 24, 2015

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
okay but really this is a worse game than T4C (The Fourth Coming) which was like, my first mmo (after getting blown up by a lock box in UO), which was made in like 1998 or something and had some really cool statistical classing and choicing like you had to have stats to use gear and you could be a wizzard dagger man that would cast earthquakes or a platemail wearing fireball man (at like level 650). That was pretty cool. It also didn't ask me to go (DOWN AND RIGHT) to find a person to give a potion to or some poo poo.

i think im going to go play the fourth coming again. thanks.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
This isn't even Demon Rush bad, is it?

astoniareborn
Oct 21, 2015
No! defiantly a lot better then that :p
But im creating whole new advert. so bare with me :)

astoniareborn fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 25, 2015

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

astoniareborn posted:

No! defiantly a lot better then that :p
But im creating whole new advert. so bare with me, small video of starting map guide below for quick peek.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B75GHKp4VCQ

No unregistered Hypercam, Voted 1

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Are there some stairs I can camp and kill noobs?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am into edging

is this the game for me

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Kylra posted:

This isn't even Demon Rush bad, is it?

there's no brook cracktackle so it's at least twice as dull but on the other hand they did go down the lovely 5+ minute videos of them playing parts of the game with no context with unrelated music playing as advertisement route so they have that in common

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

If this thread isn't locked tomorrow, I'll play this game for a few minutes and try to make sense of it.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
unlocking thread

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Anticheese posted:

If this thread isn't locked tomorrow, I'll play this game for a few minutes and try to make sense of it.

Eagerly awaiting your review.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Shadowlz posted:

Eagerly awaiting your review.

Technically it was locked on the day he said so he isn't required to give a review.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I'm a little bit busy at the moment with other games-related writing, but after the thread closed I regretted not doing this, so..

:siren: :siren: I will have the equivalent of an impressions article/light review posted by the end of the week! :siren: :siren: :toxx:

astoniareborn, if you are still reading this thread and haven't vanished, I would like to invite you onto a Skype call (or any other free means of your choosing) so we can talk about your game as I stream and record my play session. Believe it or not, I work in games journalism, and while I've been groaning and making cracks about this thread, I am 100% prepared to give your game a fair shake. Anything I write is not going to be published outside this thread, and I'm not going in with a negative narrative in mind.

Please, show me what makes your game good in your eyes. You've got until October 30 to respond.

Anyone interested in joining the stream call is also welcome to sign up in this thread. If astoniareborn accepts the call and doesn't want to share it, I'll leave that up to him, but otherwise I'm keen to get some extra voices on board.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Why do I have to log in using an account identifier (1781, presumably meaning that there are 1780 other accounts. It seems too small to be random) AND my email address, and a password, instead of just my email/username and a password? :confused:

Edit: the installer has no option to change the target location.

Edit 2: The developer has been contacted via the contact form ("Contact Game") on the website. You will be informed if this call is happening.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 27, 2015

astoniareborn
Oct 21, 2015
i closed the threat for a reason, i wanted this forum deleted so i can come back with a better post.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

So...are you free on Saturday?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

astoniareborn posted:

i closed the threat for a reason, i wanted this forum deleted so i can come back with a better post.

I too want this forum deleted except for the Wildstar thread.

astoniareborn
Oct 21, 2015
I'm not the person that has been posting here, but I am another dev for this game, and I'm considering taking you up on your offer.

I'll add you on Skype so we can discuss further.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

astoniareborn posted:

I'm not the person that has been posting here, but I am another dev for this game, and I'm considering taking you up on your offer.

I'll add you on Skype so we can discuss further.

I've accepted the contact request. Thank you for your surprisingly prompt response. I'm looking forward to talking with you. :)

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I apologise for the constant double-posting, but a tentative time for the stream has been set: Approximately 2030 NZ time (GMT+12 +DST) on October 29, or around 0730 GMT. Both of the developers will be on the call during the event.

Mark your calendars. I know I have.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Anticheese posted:

I apologise for the constant double-posting, but a tentative time for the stream has been set: Approximately 2030 NZ time (GMT+12 +DST) on October 29, or around 0730 GMT. Both of the developers will be on the call during the event.

Mark your calendars. I know I have.

i dont know what your stream is okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Preemtively 5ed. :munch:

• Locked thread