Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
It wouldn't surprise me if Google overhauled the way SMS and MMS work soon. This is the first carrier I've used in almost a decade that doesn't auto convert SMS to MMS after 160 characters.

Still, this phone is great and I haven't had any issues. I just feel bad for my girlfriend because she still has to charge her 5x every night and I can get by for 3 without charging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

COULD IT FINALLY BE?!?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/12/09/android-6-0-1-fixes-the-annoying-failed-mms-bug-in-marshmallow/

Also, I ordered a 5x and 6p for myself and my wife last weekend. Still have no shipping update. Any estimates from recent purchasers?

EDIT: of course as soon as I post I get a shipping confirmation. So looks to be about 4 business days for anyone interested.

amenenema fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 11, 2015

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
No idea if the update works but it did get pushed to me this morning.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I've been on google fi for just over a week and I still got the fi branded lego set holiday gift. Pretty cool! At first I figured it was some off-brand lego but the pegs on the bricks all say fi so they actually had custom molds made and everything. I mean, it's still off-brand lego but it's Fi branded.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Bloodplay it again posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if Google overhauled the way SMS and MMS work soon. This is the first carrier I've used in almost a decade that doesn't auto convert SMS to MMS after 160 characters.

Still, this phone is great and I haven't had any issues. I just feel bad for my girlfriend because she still has to charge her 5x every night and I can get by for 3 without charging.

I don't think I've seen SMS converted to MMS after 160 characters in like 5+ years and I've been on T-Mobile, Verizon, and Cricket.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I don't think I've seen SMS converted to MMS after 160 characters in like 5+ years and I've been on T-Mobile, Verizon, and Cricket.

I have. My Verizon LG G3 started doing that a couple months ago, as part of its progressive slip into "holy poo poo I need to get a new phone Now" levels of broken. 4hr battery that gets hot enough to be super uncomfortable randomly, the mic fuzzes out 3 or 4 times while I'm on the phone for a 10 minute conversation, and just last night it started sending text messages between 4 and 16 times. All this continued After factory resetting it. I'm beginning to think it's a short circuit or something. Ghosts probably.

Maybe I'll get off my rear end, eat the ETF and make the switch to a 6P tonight.

I did it. It's super easy to switch, if you're on the fence like I was just do it. (hell yeah my ETF expired 2 days ago too!)

Diabeesting fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 15, 2015

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

After switching to Project Fi from Google Voice, I noticed that I wasn't getting voicemail transcriptions or notices of missed calls in my email any longer. I contacted their support, who told me that it was no longer available but to send in a request.

Just as I was about to try to configure something with Tasker, I found that if you log into your Project Fi account and scroll all the way to the bottom, you'll see a link for Google Voice. Click on that, go to the settings icon, and in the voicemail and calls section, you'll see little check boxes where you can re-enable this functionality!

Considering I've missed a few calls at work because I keep my phone quiet and the 6p has weak vibration, this made my day yesterday. Just thought I'd share with everyone.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Does anyone else get confused as hell trying to figure out what method their messages are going out on? I use hangouts, and I am constantly confused when I send someone a hangouts message, and never hear back to later see I sent it to their gmail account and not their phone number. Or vice versa. And It seems messenger will do much of what hangouts does, further confusing me. I turned off SMS in hangouts, but they kept coming in and out. Fi has only made this more confusing than when I was on a Nexus 5.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I just signed up for google fi, and put a 64 Gb 6P on finance. I am so excited to get my new phone and to put verizon behind me forever!

Yaaaaaaay! :D

edit: Has anyone figured out why they make you sign up for a plan at all? If everything is a flat rate for data, why even bother at all?

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 18, 2015

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Does anyone else get confused as hell trying to figure out what method their messages are going out on? I use hangouts, and I am constantly confused when I send someone a hangouts message, and never hear back to later see I sent it to their gmail account and not their phone number. Or vice versa. And It seems messenger will do much of what hangouts does, further confusing me. I turned off SMS in hangouts, but they kept coming in and out. Fi has only made this more confusing than when I was on a Nexus 5.

It actually simplified it for me. Everything goes from Hangouts, and the little SMS in the corner of the text field tells me it's going old school, a green hangouts symbol means 21st century.

Knifegrab posted:

I just signed up for google fi, and put a 64 Gb 6P on finance. I am so excited to get my new phone and to put verizon behind me forever!

Yaaaaaaay! :D

edit: Has anyone figured out why they make you sign up for a plan at all? If everything is a flat rate for data, why even bother at all?

Because it's pre-pay.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

amenenema posted:

It actually simplified it for me. Everything goes from Hangouts, and the little SMS in the corner of the text field tells me it's going old school, a green hangouts symbol means 21st century.
Because it's pre-pay.

The smart bet is just to grab 1 Gb of data right?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
It really does not matter. The price is prorated up or down to the MB, so if you go over or under you just pay or are credited that amount.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if this was an advertised feature or if other people noticed it, but it appears that you can get additional data-only SIM cards that tie to the same Fi account. So, you can have the same mobile data pool running from a laptop or tablet or something.

Just sounds cool to me.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Mercury Ballistic posted:

It really does not matter. The price is prorated up or down to the MB, so if you go over or under you just pay or are credited that amount.

Yeah, this. It truly doesn't matter.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I don't really like Hangouts. Does Textra work as it should on Fi?

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
Got my 6P, sweet Legos, and SIM card yesterday. This thing is the bees knees. It's massive, in a very good way.

One thing I wish they did was make the finger print sensor on the back an actual button, like the LG G3. Having controls on the back was much more enjoyable than having them on the side.

Switching from Verizon was criminally easy. Pop in SIM card, press 'transfer my number' and within 15 minutes I got an email that my verizon line had been canceled and my Fi line was open.

The Fi network in my area is quite strong, and actually gets 4g vs the 1 bar of 3g I could manage with verizon.

Overall experience: 10/10, would recommend. Also, legos.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

A while back Google was actually saying not to use hangouts for sms/mms and use Messenger instead.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/05/06/google-actually-recommends-that-you-use-messenger-for-sms-over-hangouts/

Not sure if it's still the case but I know I like the way Messenger works way better than hangouts.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

No. 9 posted:

I don't really like Hangouts. Does Textra work as it should on Fi?

I would think so. I've been using Fi for a few weeks and I've never liked Hangouts. I use Signal (for both encrypted stuff and regular old SMS/MMS) and it's worked totally fine.

I switched to Fi from Sprint and am still waiting for my final bill from them to pay off my ETF. So I've only been able to connect to T-Mobile since I started Fi, but luckily I haven't had any issues connecting to high speed signals during that time. But it'll be nice to (hopefully) get Sprint back as an option in a week or two when I actually get my bill and they let my phone back on their network.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

iluvpr0n posted:

I would think so. I've been using Fi for a few weeks and I've never liked Hangouts. I use Signal (for both encrypted stuff and regular old SMS/MMS) and it's worked totally fine.

Thanks, good to hear. I use Signal as well. Textra sometimes doesn't archive (for lack of a better word) texts sent to Messenger , Voice inbox or Hangouts sometime. I just love the program too much to let it go.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Why do folks favor messenger and others over hangouts? I am not clear on the major differences.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Textra has a nice interface and has a lot of options for GIFs, taking photos within the app, etc.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Munnin The Crab posted:

Got my 6P, sweet Legos, and SIM card yesterday. This thing is the bees knees. It's massive, in a very good way.

One thing I wish they did was make the finger print sensor on the back an actual button, like the LG G3. Having controls on the back was much more enjoyable than having them on the side.

Switching from Verizon was criminally easy. Pop in SIM card, press 'transfer my number' and within 15 minutes I got an email that my verizon line had been canceled and my Fi line was open.

The Fi network in my area is quite strong, and actually gets 4g vs the 1 bar of 3g I could manage with verizon.

Overall experience: 10/10, would recommend. Also, legos.

Yeah I was a bit skeptical about the large size, but it only took a couple of days to get used to it and now every phone I've had before feels like a toy.

Coming from AT&T, there are a few more dead spots but I get 4g LTE in pretty much every place that I ever actually use my phone in. And for $20 less a month I'm perfectly okay with that.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
ooh. Was charging my 5x, went to check on it... boy it sure is warm... really warm...

Charge port cooked. Could smell the magic smoke escaping. Yikes. I'm getting a replacement, no questions from the reps, but I just ported my number over. Not fun!

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

pass the butter posted:

ooh. Was charging my 5x, went to check on it... boy it sure is warm... really warm...

Charge port cooked. Could smell the magic smoke escaping. Yikes. I'm getting a replacement, no questions from the reps, but I just ported my number over. Not fun!

What were you using to charge it, if we may ask? Was it the charger and cable it came with, or something else?

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

maltesh posted:

What were you using to charge it, if we may ask? Was it the charger and cable it came with, or something else?

Charger that came with it.

This happened just after I got a replacement sim for my wifes phone, she got one of the bad sims.

I have a replacement on the way. Customer service is great, but I would love it if the stuff would just work and stop being problematic.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I'm with ATT now and use my Google Voice number as my business number. I'd like to switch to a wireless carrier that is friendlier about international travel and was looking at Fi and T-Mobile. Since Fi runs over top of T-Mobile it seems like it would be a superset of coverage for a cheaper price.

If I sign up for Fi can I use my voice number then port my wireless number later? I don't want to switch if it turns out I have lovely coverage at home. I know I'll lose my voice number when I finally port my mobile number over.

If it doesn't work out can I can cancel the service and keep my Voice number associated with my account?

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
I believe when I ported over my number from verizon it said I would lose my google voice number. Which was of no conequence to me, but your situation sounds different. All I got was junk calls/voicemails on the google voice number anyways, so it didn't bother me.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

pass the butter posted:

I believe when I ported over my number from verizon it said I would lose my google voice number. Which was of no conequence to me, but your situation sounds different. All I got was junk calls/voicemails on the google voice number anyways, so it didn't bother me.

I think, but am not positive, that if you don't port your number you'll get a new one and you can just keep using Voice with your number (the app works fine on the phone with Fi, you should be able to point it to your new mobile just like you can now). Porting it later, as Google has stated, is not an option for whatever reason.

If you have ATT you will probably really like the switch, that is who I ported from. Everyones coverage is a different, of course, but mine either improved or showed no change and good God are my bills lower with Fi.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

Ixian posted:

I think, but am not positive, that if you don't port your number you'll get a new one and you can just keep using Voice with your number (the app works fine on the phone with Fi, you should be able to point it to your new mobile just like you can now). Porting it later, as Google has stated, is not an option for whatever reason.

If you have ATT you will probably really like the switch, that is who I ported from. Everyones coverage is a different, of course, but mine either improved or showed no change and good God are my bills lower with Fi.

I ported over from Verizon. Coverage was fine, but we moved last may to basically the edge of their coverage map. Now coverage is fantastic and our bill went down so much. I hope google puts enough of a dent in other carriers service that they notice and make some changes. No contracts, no activation charges, no bs. Had a few issues run through customer service and they handled them beautifully.

Keep an eye out in the sales forum for my verizon booster and landline thingamabob. Were in full ditch mode!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

pass the butter posted:

I ported over from Verizon. Coverage was fine, but we moved last may to basically the edge of their coverage map. Now coverage is fantastic and our bill went down so much. I hope google puts enough of a dent in other carriers service that they notice and make some changes. No contracts, no activation charges, no bs. Had a few issues run through customer service and they handled them beautifully.

Keep an eye out in the sales forum for my verizon booster and landline thingamabob. Were in full ditch mode!
They won't touch the major carriers until you're able to use more than Nexus phones, and importantly, iPhones.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

Endless Mike posted:

They won't touch the major carriers until you're able to use more than Nexus phones, and importantly, iPhones.

Oh I know. I just want verizon to feel a little bit of a sting. Their new plans and policies are so bad. I'm happy to be leaving them.

With the addition of all the new wifi stuffs in the house I gotta upgrade the home router next.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
Update on the short codes. After 2 support calls and some engineering tickets it seems like I am magically getting short code texts now.

Also hangouts versus SMS. The reason I like hangouts is that I have the app on my PC and I can send text messages directly from my PC while my phone sits idle. I can also make and receive phone calls from my PC. I think that is a REALLY nifty feature.

Sprint sent me an email yesterday saying that my bill was ready. I freaked out as I had paid my ETF and final bill over a month ago. It was for 0 dollars. I think Sprint is sad and misses me. I know it's anecdotal but I see a LOT of people buying Nexus phones and moving over to Fi. I bought a 5X for my 66 year old mother and she loves it. Her bill went from 80 at ATT (plus the overages she got every month for going over on data) to 35 because she is at home on her wifi so much. I do wish we had numbers on how many Fi users there are.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
My phone should be at my house when I get home today. My old plan isn't up until the 18th of next month (Straight Talk), but I want to start using my 6p immediately because I'm an impatient child. Would it jack anything up if I went to Wal Mart and got a Straight Talk Sim Card to use in my 6p until my current plan expires?

E: Just chatted with Fi support and they said there should be no issue with this.

Tots fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 21, 2015

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Darkpriest667 posted:

Update on the short codes. After 2 support calls and some engineering tickets it seems like I am magically getting short code texts now.

Also hangouts versus SMS. The reason I like hangouts is that I have the app on my PC and I can send text messages directly from my PC while my phone sits idle. I can also make and receive phone calls from my PC. I think that is a REALLY nifty feature.

Sprint sent me an email yesterday saying that my bill was ready. I freaked out as I had paid my ETF and final bill over a month ago. It was for 0 dollars. I think Sprint is sad and misses me. I know it's anecdotal but I see a LOT of people buying Nexus phones and moving over to Fi. I bought a 5X for my 66 year old mother and she loves it. Her bill went from 80 at ATT (plus the overages she got every month for going over on data) to 35 because she is at home on her wifi so much. I do wish we had numbers on how many Fi users there are.

How is hangouts working for you? Does mms (group and picture) work? Isn't it still not recommended?

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

Tots posted:

My phone should be at my house when I get home today. My old plan isn't up until the 18th of next month (Straight Talk), but I want to start using my 6p immediately because I'm an impatient child. Would it jack anything up if I went to Wal Mart and got a Straight Talk Sim Card to use in my 6p until my current plan expires?

E: Just chatted with Fi support and they said there should be no issue with this.

I bought my nexus 5 on the black friday whatever deal. My invite took a couple weeks to process, in the meanwhile I was running on an at&t pay as you go sim card. Worked just fine. I mean, the signal was crap but it worked. Project fi siginal is really impressive so far.

Finding some odd events while setting up phones (got nexus 5x's for my whole family plus mother in law, so 5 total) in terms of getting the handsets to update apps properly. If anyone cares I'll detail it out in here, I know this isn't a handset thread but google fi has a grand total of two handsets, might help someone out in here.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

A few days into google fi service on my new Nexus 6P. So far not only is the service perfect, but the phone is amazing. :)

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Got the SIM card today, activated and ported my ATT number. When I tried T-Mobile a few years ago I had no service at the house. Now I'm rocking LTE on Fi, so no idea if that's Sprint or just better coverage. Porting was super easy.

Now I just got to decide if I should run SMS through hangouts or use the normal channel. Whats everyone else doing?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

FunOne posted:

Got the SIM card today, activated and ported my ATT number. When I tried T-Mobile a few years ago I had no service at the house. Now I'm rocking LTE on Fi, so no idea if that's Sprint or just better coverage. Porting was super easy.

Now I just got to decide if I should run SMS through hangouts or use the normal channel. Whats everyone else doing?

You can use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.novvia.fispy to find out

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Since 6.0.1 and Fi, Hangouts is perfect on both my 5X and the wife's 6P. I'd assume this is what iMessage is like - everything just works. MMS/SMS/video calling/chat/whatever. And everything syncs 100% to the chrome desktop app. It is quite simply perfect in every way.

So I have to assume Google will break it tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
So when does Fi's WiFi handoff kick in when I'm out in public? With as prominent as login portals and secured WiFi networks are in places like Starbucks, what networks is Google keeping track of to automatically latch onto when I'm in range? I don't think I've ever come across an open WiFi network - even local coffee shops protect their network with a simple password. It's starting to seem like Fi's "aggressive WiFi tendencies" are just a marketing bullet point that doesn't pan out in reality.

Edit: And I've enabled all of the necessary WiFi-handoff-related settings according to the Fi docs.