Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

On the Google Fi Unlimited plan, do you drop to something like 2G after 22 gigs or are you just deprioritized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I believe you get throttled to oblivion.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It was utterly unusable the one time I hit the cap.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Would the next set of Fi phones possibly be ae to do 5G on Tmo? 🤔

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Deathlove posted:

Would the next set of Fi phones possibly be ae to do 5G on Tmo? 🤔

There's a high possibility that one or both of the Pixel 4as will be able to, yes.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Not sure who was my last referral but I just got the credit - thanks!

:bubblewoop:

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Anyone have their phone pick T-Mobile HSPDA+ over any LTE Signal recently? Mine keeps falling back unless I force it over.

Edit: Like Today, not yesterday when TMo had the big issue.

Edit Edit: They finally acknowledged a local issue.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 29, 2020

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Hello fellow Fi'ers. I have a child that is going to start middle school next year and I would like to get him a phone that can call and text but preferably nothing else. Does anyone have any experience with kid stuff on Fi? I'm aware that Android phones have a parental control story but it would probably be cheaper and easier if I could get a device that just can't do anything else (do those exist anymore?). Also, the Fi policy on children under 13 is confusing - it doesn't have to legally be in his name of anything.

Obviously it doesn't have to be through Fi, as there is no real notion of a family plan, but I thought I would start here before posting in the Recommend Me thread.

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011

pthighs posted:

Hello fellow Fi'ers. I have a child that is going to start middle school next year and I would like to get him a phone that can call and text but preferably nothing else. Does anyone have any experience with kid stuff on Fi? I'm aware that Android phones have a parental control story but it would probably be cheaper and easier if I could get a device that just can't do anything else (do those exist anymore?). Also, the Fi policy on children under 13 is confusing - it doesn't have to legally be in his name of anything.

Obviously it doesn't have to be through Fi, as there is no real notion of a family plan, but I thought I would start here before posting in the Recommend Me thread.

AT&T's prepaid plan has a "unlimited calling and texting, no data" version. I assume all the other prepaids have a competitor. Is there something about Fi you would want him to have? The main feature is the pay-as-you-use data.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
No, there is nothing in particular about Fi, other than the mild convenience of having everything through the same provider. Thanks for the tip on AT&T, I'll take a look.

DrLaserfalcon
Nov 7, 2010

Sub Rosa posted:

On the Google Fi Unlimited plan, do you drop to something like 2G after 22 gigs or are you just deprioritized?

I haven't noticed any throttling -- although I might be mistaking my plan for the unlimited plan. My bill just goes up every gig past 2Gigs, which happens when my 3 year old steals the phone to watch YouTube videos. There's some capping mechanism, though, that prevents your bill from going into outer space by rolling over costs to the following months.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
For unlimited, you pay $flat and get x gigs of full speed and then you're dealing with throttled to uselessness for the duration of your billing cycle.

For regular Fi billing (which you seem to be describing) you pay per gb up until a certain point, at which you stop paying for gigabytes. Once you hit another even higher number, the same throttling mechanic happens, but you can push a button to disable it and resume paying for gigabytes. It's like 8-15 gigs iirc.

"throttled" means "functionally shut off" in that it's too slow to use for any real purpose other than that your texting and calls still work.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm thinking about ditching Verizon and switching back to Fi.

I currently have a (paid off) Note 9, but I was thinking about getting this (much cheaper) ASUS ROG Phone II:

https://www.newegg.com/asus-rog-phone-ii-6-59-gsm-hspa-lte/p/23B-0033-000Z4

1. Would this phone work with Fi?

2. What would the process look like for switching to Fi using that phone? Would I be able to keep my current phone number?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Annath posted:

I'm thinking about ditching Verizon and switching back to Fi.

I currently have a (paid off) Note 9, but I was thinking about getting this (much cheaper) ASUS ROG Phone II:

https://www.newegg.com/asus-rog-phone-ii-6-59-gsm-hspa-lte/p/23B-0033-000Z4

1. Would this phone work with Fi?

2. What would the process look like for switching to Fi using that phone? Would I be able to keep my current phone number?

The phone will work with Fi but it can only access T-Mobile's network so it's suboptimal

Switching to Fi from Verizon is painless and you can port your number easily

If you do switch, please use my referral code: https://g.co/fi/r/8VU2H9

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Cloks posted:

The phone will work with Fi but it can only access T-Mobile's network so it's suboptimal

Switching to Fi from Verizon is painless and you can port your number easily

If you do switch, please use my referral code: https://g.co/fi/r/8VU2H9

Will that referral work if I've previously had Fi? I had it a few years ago.

Not too worried about the T-Mobile only option, as Fi has better billing/plans than T-Mo anyway.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Annath posted:

Will that referral work if I've previously had Fi? I had it a few years ago.

Not too worried about the T-Mobile only option, as Fi has better billing/plans than T-Mo anyway.

No idea, worth a try at least.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Cloks posted:

No idea, worth a try at least.

So I'm reading that that ROG phone isn't certified for VoLTE, meaning it can only make calls over 3G?

Since carriers are phasing out 3G, I'd assume that includes the T-Mobile bands Fi uses?

Maybe I will try to unlock my (Verizon) Note 9 and use that with Fi.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Unique situation here, and I cannot find an answer on any FAQs and I'd rather not ask support just yet.
Me and my wife are on a flex plan currently. My sister located in a different state wants to get a Pixel 3a or a 4, and join our plan so we can switch to the unlimited as with 3 members the pricing goes down to $50 a line.
I've read that only the group owner can finance devices. Would I be on the hook for my sister and have her pay me via PayPal every month for her device and plan?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

BrownieVK posted:

I've read that only the group owner can finance devices. Would I be on the hook for my sister and have her pay me via PayPal every month for her device and plan?

This is correct, but they do have a system in place where it can request payment from your sister to you via Google Pay. The device will still be listed under her side of the account, but it'll be coming from you directly.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Takoluka posted:

This is correct, but they do have a system in place where it can request payment from your sister to you via Google Pay. The device will still be listed under her side of the account, but it'll be coming from you directly.

Hmmm thanks I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with that lol. I'll see if I can find a cheap used pixel for her to buy outright with her tax return. Thanks!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My son just got his first phone, and since mine is paid off, I figure it's a good time to leave my folks' Verizon family plan and start a new Fi group plan. I didn't realize until I started signing up for Fi that it was so tied to GV, and I'd like to run my game plan past this thread before I do anything stupid:

My son's phone is unlocked and has no number of its own. I have a GV account with a :krad: number that includes my son's name. I got it a while back with the intention of passing it off to him someday and don't use it much--mostly school-related texts. I'd like to transfer it to him to be his phone number under Fi; he wouldn't need a separate GV number, so I think we're okay there.
Meanwhile, I'd still like my own GV number, so I intend to sign up for one using my second, more work-oriented Google account (which is mostly used for Gmail) and keep using that for school texts, etc. It should be pretty painless apart from directing people to use the new number. (And any stragglers would just wind up at my son's phone.)
Then I would port my existing number from Verizon to my current phone; ideally, this part should feel no different than switching to AT&T or T-Mobile or what have you in terms of my phone retaining the same number, but with a different carrier.
In the end, my son would have his phone with a personalized number, I'd have my phone with my same number, and I'd have a new GV account unattached to either phone to catch stray texts.

Does that sound right? Thanks in advance for your help.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hirayuki posted:

My son just got his first phone, and since mine is paid off, I figure it's a good time to leave my folks' Verizon family plan and start a new Fi group plan. I didn't realize until I started signing up for Fi that it was so tied to GV, and I'd like to run my game plan past this thread before I do anything stupid:

My son's phone is unlocked and has no number of its own. I have a GV account with a :krad: number that includes my son's name. I got it a while back with the intention of passing it off to him someday and don't use it much--mostly school-related texts. I'd like to transfer it to him to be his phone number under Fi; he wouldn't need a separate GV number, so I think we're okay there.
Meanwhile, I'd still like my own GV number, so I intend to sign up for one using my second, more work-oriented Google account (which is mostly used for Gmail) and keep using that for school texts, etc. It should be pretty painless apart from directing people to use the new number. (And any stragglers would just wind up at my son's phone.)
Then I would port my existing number from Verizon to my current phone; ideally, this part should feel no different than switching to AT&T or T-Mobile or what have you in terms of my phone retaining the same number, but with a different carrier.
In the end, my son would have his phone with a personalized number, I'd have my phone with my same number, and I'd have a new GV account unattached to either phone to catch stray texts.

Does that sound right? Thanks in advance for your help.

That's similar to my setup (except for not having a child). I have google voice tied to one of my google accounts and Fi to a different one. The only downside to that setup is that you can't use the Google Fi number as the google voice cell phone number to be tied to. It still gives me notifications for texts and calls via the google voice app on the phone, though, so it's not a huge deal. I have a third number that I've just been using Ting for because it usually gets a couple of texts a month and I rarely leave the house with it, so it's typically 3 or 6 bucks, but the second line on Fi makes more sense for full usage.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Rexxed posted:

That's similar to my setup (except for not having a child). I have google voice tied to one of my google accounts and Fi to a different one. The only downside to that setup is that you can't use the Google Fi number as the google voice cell phone number to be tied to. It still gives me notifications for texts and calls via the google voice app on the phone, though, so it's not a huge deal. I have a third number that I've just been using Ting for because it usually gets a couple of texts a month and I rarely leave the house with it, so it's typically 3 or 6 bucks, but the second line on Fi makes more sense for full usage.
So you log into GV with your secondary, non-Fi Google account and set up your GV forwarding (if necessary) to any number but your Fi number. Right? That should work for us. Thanks!

That reminds me: I imagine Fi voicemail is pretty similar or even identical to GV; I've been using GV as my VM handler for ages now, rather than the default Verizon app. Removing my number from Verizon and registering it with Google directly should eliminate the middleman and make that part of it a seamless transition. (I don't use my cellphone for voice calls much, but that doesn't stop people who don't know any better from calling and leaving a message. Same goes for texts, actually--hence the GV account keeping all that at a remove.)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hirayuki posted:

So you log into GV with your secondary, non-Fi Google account and set up your GV forwarding (if necessary) to any number but your Fi number. Right? That should work for us. Thanks!

That reminds me: I imagine Fi voicemail is pretty similar or even identical to GV; I've been using GV as my VM handler for ages now, rather than the default Verizon app. Removing my number from Verizon and registering it with Google directly should eliminate the middleman and make that part of it a seamless transition. (I don't use my cellphone for voice calls much, but that doesn't stop people who don't know any better from calling and leaving a message. Same goes for texts, actually--hence the GV account keeping all that at a remove.)

Yeah, it's as you described. The voicemail on my phone app is basically the same as google voice in that there's the nice auto-transcribe and whatnot.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Tried to use fi with my Unihertz titan, modem worked but refused to register the phone and GI support told me to get a supported phone or pound sand

Edit nevermind, I got it working and registered on my own!

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 24, 2020

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Today my phone told me a restart was required to complete set up, I did so and now it doesn't get better than 3G. does this have to do with Sprint networks being absorbed by T-Mobile?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Google Fi Dialer Codes:

Force Jump to Sprint:  *#*#34777#*#*

Force Jump to T-Mobile:  *#*#34866#*#*

Force Jump to Next Carrier:  *#*#346398#*#*

Turn On Auto Switch:  *#*#342886#*#*

Repair Bad Activation:  *#*#34963#*#*

Current Network Info:  *#*#344636#*#*

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Or install the Signal Spy app.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Has anyone on Fi figured out the "SMS messages in group texts show up with random delays" issue yet? Happens on Pixel 3. My group texts are useless, and it seems to be worse the more people are in a group.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Sub Rosa posted:

Adding to what others already said, you CAN pay to lift the throttle. I accidentally used my 22 gigs while traveling, forgot my hotspot was on. You can pay some large amount like $10 per gig to go back to normal speeds again for the rest of the cycle.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

smoobles posted:

Has anyone on Fi figured out the "SMS messages in group texts show up with random delays" issue yet? Happens on Pixel 3. My group texts are useless, and it seems to be worse the more people are in a group.

Anecdotally: this happens to the three of us in my family chat. Pixel, Samsung Note and an iPhone, and it's not just on my end (mom sends something, sister receives it eight hours later). So I guess if it's any consolation, it's not just you or your phone?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

smoobles posted:

Getting this too though it seems better this week. I switched to using WhatsApp mostly because it's so annoying. Group texts coming delayed and out of order, same with picture messages.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Of course, I JUST switched to Unlimited data starting in March. And now I'm stuck at home for god knows how long using almost no data.

I thought about switching back, but the bill is confusing and I fear by the time my metered plan kicked back in I'd be back to going out in the world and using data again.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

OldSenileGuy posted:

I fear by the time my metered plan kicked back in I'd be back to going out in the world and using data again.

lol you're good

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Looks like google just added support for iphone esim (if you have an iphone from the last couple of years). Tried it, doesn't seem to work if you have an existing account. New accounts only.. Hopefully that's temporary.

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass
Is there any current way to disable Sprint towers entirely? Everything that I've found online seems outdated and the delay on Sprint is just puzzling.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My phone's power button became super sensitive sometimes and is clicking itself and opening the camera and going into bootloops. Fi support had me factory reset the phone.

1. My phone number doesn't work until I install the Fi app.
2. I go to log into my Google account on the phone and it asks for two factor identification.
3. I can't get a SMS code because of #1.
4. Luckily it sent a direct message to a tablet I'm logged into. What if I didn't have a tablet?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

FogHelmut posted:

My phone's power button became super sensitive sometimes and is clicking itself and opening the camera and going into bootloops. Fi support had me factory reset the phone.

2. I go to log into my Google account on the phone and it asks for two factor identification.
4. Luckily it sent a direct message to a tablet I'm logged into. What if I didn't have a tablet?

SMS integration with hangouts means you can get SMS 2FA codes in your browser on any internet enabled device.
I actually prefer to get auth codes on my PC because it's easier to copy and paste them.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

poeticoddity posted:

SMS integration with hangouts means you can get SMS 2FA codes in your browser on any internet enabled device.
I actually prefer to get auth codes on my PC because it's easier to copy and paste them.

Messenger integration with the PC is probably the biggest selling point of Fi for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

FogHelmut posted:

For future, use the app-based two-step authentication on your Google Account (and wherever else available) instead of the SMS, and store the backup codes provided and (and an image of the generating QR code) in a secure location that you can get to in an emergency.

That way, as long as you have the backup codes, or a device that has an authenticator-compatible app that knows what time it is, you'll be able to get back into the account (assuming the reason you're locked out is accident, rather than malfeasance).