Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«73 »
FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Thanatosian posted:

Messenger integration with the PC is probably the biggest selling point of Fi for me.

Doesn't Google Messenger for Web do this for everyone now?

It'll relay through the phone, so the phone still needs some signal, but if so then you can text from the PC all day on any service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanatosian
Apr 16, 2013

Angrier, Bitterer Man

Grimey Drawer

FunOne posted:

Doesn't Google Messenger for Web do this for everyone now?

It'll relay through the phone, so the phone still needs some signal, but if so then you can text from the PC all day on any service.
Hangouts doesn't use the phone to relay, which is great for two-factor if there's a problem with your phone.

I tried Messenger (I think back when it was in beta or very early release), and also found it to be bad in comparison with Hangouts.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Is there a way to fix the link handling in Hangouts so it opens the url as typed, instead of routing it through "google.com/url?q=http://..." ? Links in the shade notifications open normally, without the prefix. It's breaking opening links in their appropriate app and really frustrating.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

How is Googleís spam call filtering service?

Iíve been getting a lot of spam/robocalls lately so I want to start using it. However, Iíve also been getting a lot of calls from delivery people who no longer ring the buzzer, they just call me when they get here and leave the delivery in the lobby. So obviously I need to make sure Iíll still get those calls.

Does spam filtering have some list of known spam numbers to block? Or does it just block any number thatís not in my address book or call history?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass.

Don't use the call screening, it's awful. The regular spam thing that lets you know if a number is spam works pretty good. But the call screening sends all kinds of stuff that you don't want screened to the screener.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

I think it's great. I've never had it screen a call that was an actual human trying to get in contact with me.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Mine seems to work pretty well. The calls come in and I never realize it, occasionally they leave a 3 second empty voicemail which is the only way I know it's actually working.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Don't use the call screening, it's awful. The regular spam thing that lets you know if a number is spam works pretty good. But the call screening sends all kinds of stuff that you don't want screened to the screener.

Stuff like what?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

American McGay posted:

I think it's great. I've never had it screen a call that was an actual human trying to get in contact with me.

It happened twice and I turned that poo poo off.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Stuff like what?

Like actual humans trying to get in contact with me. People I'm working with, not in my contacts.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

It happened twice and I turned that poo poo off.

Like actual humans trying to get in contact with me. People I'm working with, not in my contacts.

Did you have it set up correctly? It's only supposed to screen calls if they're suspected spam numbers. If a number isn't in your contacts but it just a regular number it should go through.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

American McGay posted:

Did you have it set up correctly? It's only supposed to screen calls if they're suspected spam numbers. If a number isn't in your contacts but it just a regular number it should go through.

As far as I could tell. It was sending people calling me from the office line to the screening. My company isn't in the spam business, so I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanatosian
Apr 16, 2013

Angrier, Bitterer Man

Grimey Drawer

Android Police reported that Google is going to take Hangouts message archives and put them into Google Chat (https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/...to-google-chat/) for GSuite business users. Anyone know if they're planning to do the same thing for Google Fi customers?

«73 »