Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
You can still choose the free financing option and get the deal, so nothing up front required except tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah that's what I did with my Pixel 3 deal last year. The credit takes off your entire bill and then you're just left with the monthly device payment so it was a year of $25 bills followed by a year of $45 bills.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

couldcareless posted:

You can still choose the free financing option and get the deal, so nothing up front required except tax.

Yeah this is what I'm going to do. And with my boyfriend and I on the same phone plan, we'll probably burn through the credit in about six months. Still, six months of no phone bill and getting two new phones is fantastic.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Funny how they're counting down the Black Friday sales on the Google Store, but the Google Fi store has all the phone prices already adjusted for it :psyduck:

Found out the 3a is atually 0.1" larger than my Pixel XL, so I don't even need to buy the 3a XL! Tempted to go all out for the 50% deal from the 4/4XL but ehhh I don't need the newest shiniest phone.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Looks like you can't combine this with the $599 XL deal :(

Not that I need a new phone anyway.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

couldcareless posted:

I stand corrected. Tax only up front and a more expensive bill for two months is a much more appealing offer. I didn't realize the financing was available concurrently.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
FYI for anyone using Signal for MMS and Google Fi: it doesn't always seem to deliver group chat messages from Sprint. They'll all show up when you switch to another provider. This seems to he a known bug.

I got burned by this lately so I thought I'd pass it along.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Soysaucebeast posted:

Honestly, I kept going back and forth about upgrading from my Pixel XL to a Pixel 4 XL anyway. My Pixel works perfectly fine, but the lack of wireless charging annoys me (and the adapters for that aren't as good as I want them to be). Still, it's paid off and I have no complaints. I just want a new phone. But between this and the Google Fi 50% credit, I'm going to jump on it. I can get a Pixel 4 XL with the bigger hard drive for 350$ after I trade in my current phone. That's INSANE. And I can do the same thing for my boyfriend and get him an upgrade too.

Yeah, I just bought a 3XL last Black Friday, and I'm halfway tempted by this.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Johnny Truant posted:

Funny how they're counting down the Black Friday sales on the Google Store, but the Google Fi store has all the phone prices already adjusted for it :psyduck:

Found out the 3a is atually 0.1" larger than my Pixel XL, so I don't even need to buy the 3a XL! Tempted to go all out for the 50% deal from the 4/4XL but ehhh I don't need the newest shiniest phone.

It's 0.1" larger but the aspect ratio is different, so it's taller and effectively less screen, so keep that in mind.

Chaotic Flame posted:

Looks like you can't combine this with the $599 XL deal :(

Not that I need a new phone anyway.

Well dang, that was mighty tempting but I'm pretty fond of the fingerprint scanner anyway.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Ok, question for you guys. I went ahead and got the Pixel 4 since the black Friday 200$ off deal didn't stack with the 50% Fi credit, and I wanted to get it before they inevitably sold out Friday. I'm currently updating all my apps and everything, but it looks like Google Fi is showing up as my network provider twice? I did the digital SIM card option before I realized there was a physical SIM card in the phone already and I think it's reading both since apparently the Pixel 4 supports dual SIMs. I thought since both were on the same network (Google Fi) and both were attached to the same email address it would only show the one. Is there any way for me to only show one network aside from taking the physical SIM card out? I'm at work without the SIM card remover tool thing and having two sets of bars on the notification bar, and having it ask which network I want to send texts/calls from is starting to annoy me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Why wouldn't you just take the SIM card out and see if it still makes and receives calls with the expected phone number?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

He can do that later when he has access to a SIM injector.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Yeah, I'm at work right now so I don't have any way to get the physical SIM card out. It's really not a big deal at all because I can just remove it when I get home. But I was checking to see if someone here knew of a way to fix it before I left work in 8 hours.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Soysaucebeast posted:

Yeah, I'm at work right now so I don't have any way to get the physical SIM card out. It's really not a big deal at all because I can just remove it when I get home. But I was checking to see if someone here knew of a way to fix it before I left work in 8 hours.

Your office is completely lacking paper clips?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I doubt a straightened out paper clip is narrow enough, it definitely isn't for my Moto X4.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Motronic posted:

Your office is completely lacking paper clips?

poo poo, I'm an idiot. I thought the paperclip wouldn't be narrow enough, but I decided to give it a go. It was a little snug but worked. So thanks for the heads up on that! Now I just have to try to no lose the dang card before I get home.

Edit: Huh, well it was working fine for about an hour and now it's telling me my Google Fi hasn't been activated yet. When I go to activate it, it tells me the phone can't connect to the internet (I have no wifi at work right now and have just been using data). So I put the SIM card back in, and it went back to showing me active on two networks. I took it out again and it's back to showing me being not activated. I tried to follow the directions here to delete an eSIM but it's not letting me do it. Both of the networks showing are saying "To Disable this SIM, remove the SIM card." Anyone have any tips on this, or am I stuck waiting until I get home with the wifi to get this sorted?

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 28, 2019

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Well my phone bugged out when I got home but after fighting with it for an hour and rebooting it about a dozen times it magically started working correctly. So I guess if you're getting a new phone check to see if it has a SIM card in it before downloading a new one.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Am I missing something obvious with the current Pixel 4XL deal through Fi? It says $450 back in Fi credit when I buy/activate a 4XL. Can I use that credit on my phone bill? I don't really buy anything through the store outside of phones. If I can put that towards my bill it makes it worth it. Secondly, does the phone trade-in credit still apply or is it one or the other?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
It is straight up bill credit from my understanding. So if you are already a fi customer is effectively 50% off the phone.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

couldcareless posted:

It is straight up bill credit from my understanding. So if you are already a fi customer is effectively 50% off the phone.

That pretty much makes it a no-brainer for me then.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Just bought a 3a and a case for it :toot:

If only I could get that sweet statement credit, as well.

In case anybody needs a referral link, here's mine!

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Fhqwhgads posted:

Am I missing something obvious with the current Pixel 4XL deal through Fi? It says $450 back in Fi credit when I buy/activate a 4XL. Can I use that credit on my phone bill? I don't really buy anything through the store outside of phones. If I can put that towards my bill it makes it worth it. Secondly, does the phone trade-in credit still apply or is it one or the other?

I know someone answered you about the credit, but you can still trade in your old phone on top of that too. I did that just the other day and it was nice. Somehow I accidently got free next day delivery too!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Soysaucebeast posted:

I know someone answered you about the credit, but you can still trade in your old phone on top of that too. I did that just the other day and it was nice. Somehow I accidently got free next day delivery too!

I made the mistake of doing the order through my phone and not the computer and I wasn't given the option to trade in my 2XL. I did submit a support email asking for the materials to do a trade in as well.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

couldcareless posted:

If your not a fi customer you can also calculate the difference in monthly costs for Fi, multiply that by the number of months it will take to use up the credit, and subtract that from the credit to get the effective discount.

If you'd pay 40/mth now and on fi you'd pay 70 and got the 4XL with its $500 bill credit, you'd pay 30 per month over that period than if you'd stayed with your plan or $210 more. So you would say effectively have a $290 discount on the phone. It's just a matter of whether a 29% discount is acceptable.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Really great that Fi shipped my Pixel 3a incredibly quickly.

Not so great that it didn't require a signature and FedEx has it listed as "Left at front door"

:ohdear:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Johnny Truant posted:

"Left at front door"

The FedEx mantra!

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

My time with Fi is coming to an end. No complaints, just have an opportunity to get on a verizon business line for cheap unlimited and upgrade my Pixel XL to an XL 4 at the same time. If I was doing a decent chunk of international travel I'd probably stick with Fi.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

TheLawinator posted:

My time with Fi is coming to an end. No complaints, just have an opportunity to get on a verizon business line for cheap unlimited and upgrade my Pixel XL to an XL 4 at the same time. If I was doing a decent chunk of international travel I'd probably stick with Fi.

International travel is the #1 reason I don't leave Fi

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Ah what the poo poo, where's my lower right square button thing on this 3a!?

Edit: ooh gently caress me it's just a swipe now, aight 3a, I can gently caress with that.

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 3, 2019

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Really great that Fi shipped my Pixel 3a incredibly quickly.

Not so great that it didn't require a signature and FedEx has it listed as "Left at front door"

:ohdear:

After the first three packages FedEx lost, and them completely but giving a poo poo when I called them about it, I started specifying that my packages be taken to a physical FedEx location. Thankfully I have a cool as hell maintenance guy who helped me find two of my packages. But FedEx is easily the worst mail carrier I've ever had to use.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Soysaucebeast posted:

After the first three packages FedEx lost, and them completely but giving a poo poo when I called them about it, I started specifying that my packages be taken to a physical FedEx location. Thankfully I have a cool as hell maintenance guy who helped me find two of my packages. But FedEx is easily the worst mail carrier I've ever had to use.

Oh absolutely, you're preaching to the choir. I've tried everything I can to get them to not leave packages outside on my complex's front steps, or not leave literal bedframes in our front stairwell cause, you know, that poo poo's a fire hazard and makes it impossible to carry my bike inside. But nooooope.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Johnny Truant posted:

Ah what the poo poo, where's my lower right square button thing on this 3a!?

Edit: ooh gently caress me it's just a swipe now, aight 3a, I can gently caress with that.
You're now using the superior version of Android. Enjoy.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

American McGay posted:

You're now using the superior version of Android. Enjoy.

:awesomelon:

Guess I need to read all of the "How to Best Use Your Pixel 3a!" articles, eh?

I'm also still impressed that the phone itself got here before the case and screen protector, both ordered from Amazon.. two days before the phone :psyduck:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Can't you turn back on three button mode in the options?

Actually, I thought they got rid of the two button mode and you could only do three buttons or gestures.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Uthor posted:

Can't you turn back on three button mode in the options?

Actually, I thought they got rid of the two button mode and you could only do three buttons or gestures.

You can. I used the gesture for while but I prefer the third button

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Chaotic Flame posted:

You can. I used the gesture for while but I prefer the third button

I had the same missing 3rd button shock, my google fu told me I had to download some poo poo and eh, I'll just stick to the gesture, it's not that bad.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Iron Crowned posted:

I had the same missing 3rd button shock, my google fu told me I had to download some poo poo and eh, I'll just stick to the gesture, it's not that bad.

To be clear, there is the old school three button navigation, the new gesture only navigation, and the weird two button hybrid navigation from last year.

You should be able to choose between the three in the regular Android settings. No download necessary.

Google isn't supporting the two button hybrid anymore and I thought they were removing the option, but that may be for Pixel 4 onward.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Uthor posted:

To be clear, there is the old school three button navigation, the new gesture only navigation, and the weird two button hybrid navigation from last year.

You should be able to choose between the three in the regular Android settings. No download necessary.

Google isn't supporting the two button hybrid anymore and I thought they were removing the option, but that may be for Pixel 4 onward.

Oh hell I found it. I never would have figured it would be under "Gestures" :negative:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I hope they announce a Pixel 4a next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Iron Crowned posted:

Oh hell I found it. I never would have figured it would be under "Gestures" :negative:

Well thank you for saving me the trouble of having to find it myself!

I think the weirdest thing about going from 1st to 4th gen is the absence of any real bezel on the bottom means the keyboard is that much lower, so I'm holding the phone in a way that feels more top-heavy.