Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

hhhat posted:

what is the setting?

I couldn't actually find it through gmail, but it's accessible through hangsouts.google.com and I assume that then applies to hangouts within gmail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Its easier if you use the chrome extension as it is its own window, and you can indeed get text messages on it too, just don't get too used to it as hangouts is getting discontinued by december.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Celexi posted:

Its easier if you use the chrome extension as it is its own window, and you can indeed get text messages on it too, just don't get too used to it as hangouts is getting discontinued by december.
Even for enterprise users?

If what I've heard is true, most Google employees are still using it for their internal messaging client.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Thanatosian posted:

Even for enterprise users?

If what I've heard is true, most Google employees are still using it for their internal messaging client.

Yes

https://support.google.com/a/answer/9197126?hl=en

Enterprise users were supposed to have it discontinued already, however they decided to discontinue it at same time as the consumer one.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Celexi posted:

Yes

https://support.google.com/a/answer/9197126?hl=en

Enterprise users were supposed to have it discontinued already, however they decided to discontinue it at same time as the consumer one.

Are they planning on replacing the desktop client? I see the recommended replacement is Google Messages or Google Chat; Google Messages doesn't have a Windows desktop app (or an app that my Chromebook supports, for that matter) and Google Chat doesn't appear to allow SMS.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
You can install google messages as a pwa but you still need your phone to have a data connection, google has completely hosed up their messaging systems.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
My OG Pixel XL is on its last legs so I ordered a 4a from Fi. Unfortunately, I don't think the OG is going to make it the 3 weeks until the 4a arrives. Is there a sub-$100 Fi compatible phone anyone can recommend if I need something in the meantime? I don't game or need anything with a ton of horsepower to speak of, but I'd like to be still be able to use like Twitter or the Awful app.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Wow, my Pixel 3's battery is barely hanging on, can't imaging still using a Pixel 1.

Anyone know if they're going to be giving out Fi discounts for the Pixel 5 this time around? Not exactly sure why I'm hanging around with Fi still outside of the Pixel stuff. I mean its fine, but those sweet sweet Verizon wavelengths are calling.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Fi is still way cheaper than basically any other provider for me, but I've also never aggressively shopped around and use very little data since I'm usually always on wifi. I think my bill is about $23 per month.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

American McGay posted:

Fi is still way cheaper than basically any other provider for me, but I've also never aggressively shopped around and use very little data since I'm usually always on wifi. I think my bill is about $23 per month.

I'm this close to switching my wife and I over to Visible. It'd be just about a wash financially, and I wouldn't have to compulsively track my data usage all the time. We'd lose out on international data, but I'm not optimistic we'll be leaving the country anytime soon.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

Wow, my Pixel 3's battery is barely hanging on, can't imaging still using a Pixel 1.

Anyone know if they're going to be giving out Fi discounts for the Pixel 5 this time around? Not exactly sure why I'm hanging around with Fi still outside of the Pixel stuff. I mean its fine, but those sweet sweet Verizon wavelengths are calling.
I picked up my Pixel 3XL on a Black Friday sale; I'd be surprised if they don't do another one of those, if you can wait that long.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

bigman.50grand posted:

My OG Pixel XL is on its last legs so I ordered a 4a from Fi. Unfortunately, I don't think the OG is going to make it the 3 weeks until the 4a arrives. Is there a sub-$100 Fi compatible phone anyone can recommend if I need something in the meantime? I don't game or need anything with a ton of horsepower to speak of, but I'd like to be still be able to use like Twitter or the Awful app.

I still have my old Moto X4 that I could sell you for cheap.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Thanks for the offer but I've got a buddy locally that just dug up an old phone I can use in the interim.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

American McGay posted:

I'm in that "I use too much data but not enough data" zone where it might be worth a few dollars to get reception inside of buildings.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
my pixel 2 xl still runs fine vOv

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone had any luck with 5G on Fi yet? I'm looking at the recently announced Pixel 4a 5G (what a name). The Fi 5G coverage map shows 5G in my area but we all know how reliable those maps are.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hughmoris posted:

Anyone had any luck with 5G on Fi yet? I'm looking at the recently announced Pixel 4a 5G (what a name). The Fi 5G coverage map shows 5G in my area but we all know how reliable those maps are.

pretty sure the only 5G carrier with Fi is T-Mobile so you might be able to see if you know someone with a 5G phone on T-Mobile for a real-world picture of how prevalent the signal coverage is

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
LTE even sucks at work and I can't use the WiFi

I'm hoping the pixel 5 I just pre-ordered will help some, I doubt it, but I'll let you know when I get it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

LTE even sucks at work and I can't use the WiFi

I'm hoping the pixel 5 I just pre-ordered will help some, I doubt it, but I'll let you know when I get it.

I don't want to be That rear end in a top hat but if LTE has problems in a place 5G will almost certainly be worse.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

FAUXTON posted:

I don't want to be That rear end in a top hat but if LTE has problems in a place 5G will almost certainly be worse.
Yeah that's why I said I'd doubt it, maybe the improved antennas will help somehow still, the guy with best service here uses boost mobile, and there is a certain building that only gets service at all with us cellular so I dunno.

I mean I'm on LTE now, but it'll go to 3g or lower to none semi randomly

My shop has metal siding and roof so...

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

5g seems like a dumb thing being forced on users so they sell new phones

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Yeah that's why I said I'd doubt it, maybe the improved antennas will help somehow still, the guy with best service here uses boost mobile, and there is a certain building that only gets service at all with us cellular so I dunno.

I mean I'm on LTE now, but it'll go to 3g or lower to none semi randomly

My shop has metal siding and roof so...

bummer - it sounds like only the lovely lower bands from sprint and USC are making it through the metal building consistently but your phone gets just enough of the idk 1700 or 2100 mhz band to keep from switching over (if your current phone is a pixel)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

5g seems like a dumb thing being forced on users so they sell new phones

5G in reality is like 4G+.

It’s actually good in a lot of ways but the branding sucks.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone having music skipping issues recently? I'm on a ~1 year old Pixel 3a, network data turned off.

I've noticed it a few times so I'm trying to pinpoint when it exactly happens. Just happened on YT Music with a non-downloaded album, so I downloaded a different one but still had the same skippage. I'm playing a completely different, downloaded, album on GPM now and at least through the first track it's been fine, but I know at least one album on GPM it was skipping on in the same fashion. Not my internet router/modem as far as I can tell as it happened at work on wifi and now here at home.

Can't wait until my Youtube premium or whatever doesn't get renewed so I can see just how bad ads are... I don't really wanna pay for it but I do like downloading videos, and having no ads is pretty fuckin ace. :sigh:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Are you playing it over bluetooth or just the phone speakers? I've had issues with bluetooth.

Also, Fi is now selling samsung phones with some big discounts at the moment: https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/8/21508169/google-fi-samsung-galaxy-note-20-s20-5g-map-tmobile

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Does Fi typically do Black Friday sales? My Pixel 3 XL is all busted up, back camera glass ruined. If the 4a or 4a 5G becomes available for a sale on BF I'll probably try to snap one up.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm not sure if it's specifically Black Friday but Pixels usually go on deep discount with Fi in October/November.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

Are you playing it over bluetooth or just the phone speakers? I've had issues with bluetooth.

Now I'm second guessing myself on using bluetooth, I'm 99% sure it happened wirelessly as well, but most of the time I'm wired.

It's happened in both YTM and GPM so I'm wondering if it's my phone's wireless connectivity, but it's barely a year old so I'm hoping it's not anything with the hardware.

Gonna try another streaming service sometime to see if it really is cross-app.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Every time I open this thread, I see this, and I hear the chord squelch, and I love it. I thank you for this gift.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

Does Fi typically do Black Friday sales? My Pixel 3 XL is all busted up, back camera glass ruined. If the 4a or 4a 5G becomes available for a sale on BF I'll probably try to snap one up.

I wasn't even in the market for a phone and picked up a 3XL a couple of years ago on Black Friday because the phone was retailing for $950 and Google discounted it $200 and threw a $200 statement credit on top of that for Google Fi members.

So they at least had a very good sale a couple of years ago.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

There's talk the Pixel 4a 5G and Pixel 5 might be on sale at Best Buy on Tuesday because they're doing Black Friday early to combat against Amazon. I'd apy close attention to that.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

I wasn't even in the market for a phone and picked up a 3XL a couple of years ago on Black Friday because the phone was retailing for $950 and Google discounted it $200 and threw a $200 statement credit on top of that for Google Fi members.

So they at least had a very good sale a couple of years ago.

I grabbed my Pixel 4XL last year around Thanksgiving too. It was on sale for 950$ and you got half of that as Fi credit. I had a 40$ phone bill (phone payment + taxes) up until June. It was great.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Soysaucebeast posted:

I grabbed my Pixel 4XL last year around Thanksgiving too. It was on sale for 950$ and you got half of that as Fi credit. I had a 40$ phone bill (phone payment + taxes) up until June. It was great.

gently caress, if they do that again, I might have to grab a new phone.

I swore I would hang on to the 3XL a bit longer since it's a flagship and I paid a bit more than I normally do (my last two phones were a Nexus 5X and a Moto X4), but I've been saving a shitload of money with the pandemic and all, and I do love a new phone.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I'm getting a new unlocked phone next week, it's not designed for fi but it works while just using t mobile from what I've seen online. Is it just a matter of popping the sim card in the new phone or will there be more rigmarole because it's not sold by them?

Those galaxies going up was tempting, and at least imply to me this service probably won't disappear in a few months like I keep expecting. I guess Stadia might be Fi's canary, or are people actually using that now?

Edit: yeah, just a quick sim card swap and the fi app handled the rest in under a minute. I don't think 5G is working but I also don't know if there's any in my area or whatever.

Also jumping to a recent phone from a four year old one is insane. Highly recommend.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 17, 2020

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Now I'm second guessing myself on using bluetooth, I'm 99% sure it happened wirelessly as well, but most of the time I'm wired.

It's happened in both YTM and GPM so I'm wondering if it's my phone's wireless connectivity, but it's barely a year old so I'm hoping it's not anything with the hardware.

Gonna try another streaming service sometime to see if it really is cross-app.

They updated YTM recently(since the last time I used it lol) and it seems to have fixed a lot of my older issues about it. They made casting as easy as GPM, looks like they added in a few "Go to Artist"/"Go to Album" menu options in places I think they were missing. Been using it over the weekend and it's... okay? Still getting a little bit of skipping, but it resolves itself after at most 10 seconds, so I'll call it a win? :shrug:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Was holding off on YTM, still not sure if I want to move to it. I downloaded my library a few weeks ago so I won't lose any music if I don't.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

a mysterious cloak posted:

Was holding off on YTM, still not sure if I want to move to it. I downloaded my library a few weeks ago so I won't lose any music if I don't.

It's... okay. It looks like they've been adding a bunch of features and stuff to it(that were already in GPM :sigh:) but it seems to be getting better. I won't go so far to say it's good, but it's at least acceptable, now. Even just a month or two ago it absolutely wasn't, though, so maybe that's a good sign.

Was having more issues with the skipping of my music when it was plugged in, switched to Bluetooth and no issues, so it looks to be a jack issues. Hmmm..

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Is anyone else having problems creating playlists in YouTube Music? I get "An error has occurred" with every local file I add. It doesn't help that there are two kinds of playlists, apparently?

I just want to shuffle through a subset of my local files. I'm too old for this. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I ported my library over to YTM, WTF did they think making a library playlist and an upload playlist? It's one library, jfc.